PDA

View Full Version : Michael given test NASCAR invite - looking to change impressions

Giuseppe F1
14th February 2007, 16:01
http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1916744,00.html

Nascar gauntlet thrown down to Schumi
Wednesday February 14 2007

Michael Schumacher has been offered the chance to test drive a Nascar car in the hope of changing the German's perceptions of the sport.

Last year, following Juan Pablo Montoya's announcement that he would be leaving F1 and heading to Nascar, the former Ferrari driver took a swipe at the sport.

"Personally I wouldn't do it," Schumi said. "What do you do in NASCAR? What is exciting there?

"I can't see that, running around on ovals."

Schumi, though, has now been given the chance to change his perceptions of the sport after Nascar team owner Ray Evernham offered him an open-ended invitation to test drive one of his cars.

"I'll put him in a red car, a real good car, any time he wants to come over here and try it," he told the Associated Press.

"A lot has changed in recent years. These cars are looked on as much more sophisticated than they used to be."

He added: "I think he'd find them technical enough to keep him happy."

Giuseppe F1
14th February 2007, 16:03
Considering Schu is still very much in the FERRARI fold and that Todt wouldnt even let him drive another manufacturers car at the ROC, even the Peugeot which had Marlboro branding at the time - well, cant see them given their blessing to see Michael climb into a DODGE CHARGER -

Would be good to see though - wonder if JPM would turn up for some tips? :)

Giuseppe F1
14th February 2007, 16:05
Reminds me of this new piece from 2002 when Michael did actually come very close to trying out a Stock Car at an 'Arrive and Drive' type facility:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns07131.html

Michael and the stock car
SEPTEMBER 28, 2002

The best story of the Indianapolis weekend so far has been the report in the Indianapolis Star that during the summer Michael Schumacher visited the Texas Motor Speedway incognito and while he was there decided that it would be fun to do a few laps of the track in a slightly souped-up stock car. These were being offered to the general public at a modest fee and Michael thought it would be good idea to give it a go. He joined the queue or eager fans waiting for their chance to drive around Texas, unrecognized by those around him.

The wait turned out to be rather a long one and after a while Michael decided that he did not really have the time to be waiting any longer and gave up the idea and went off to enjoy his holiday from F1 doing other things.

A number of Texans are reportedly now banging their heads against walls for having missed the promotional opportunity of the year...

VresiBerba
14th February 2007, 16:52
And this has to do with Formula 1, how :confused:

ChrisS
14th February 2007, 16:57

Maybe because in involves a 7 time Formula 1 world Champion?

Didn't Schumacher also say that he doesn't want to race ovals because they are too dangerous?

VresiBerba
14th February 2007, 17:07
Maybe because in involves a 7 time Formula 1 world Champion?

Don't be silly, he's a former champion, a retired former champion. Either this topic belongs in History & Nostalgia, or it belongs in the NASCAR forum. Take yor pick, as long as it's not here, I don't care :p

trumperZ06
14th February 2007, 17:22
Considering Schu is still very much in the FERRARI fold and that Todt wouldnt even let him drive another manufacturers car at the ROC, even the Peugeot which had Marlboro branding at the time - well, cant see them given their blessing to see Michael climb into a DODGE CHARGER -

Would be good to see though - wonder if JPM would turn up for some tips? :)

;) I imagine Juan Pablo would advise Schuey to turn RIGHT at the first corner !!!

Big Ben
14th February 2007, 18:17
;) I imagine Juan Pablo would advise Schuey to turn RIGHT at the first corner !!!

I don't think JPM has that much experience yet.

PSfan
14th February 2007, 19:09
Don't be silly, he's a former champion, a retired former champion. Either this topic belongs in History & Nostalgia, or it belongs in the NASCAR forum. Take yor pick, as long as it's not here, I don't care :p

Well, from now on I expect a formal protest from you when ever there is a birthday thread in here not concerning current drivers, cause obviously those threads would belong in the chit chat area.

Same goes for any driver death should belong in the History and Nostalgia, whether is be a current driver, or a long past retired driver...

Anyway, I do recall, and I believe it was part of the story about him waiting in line to try a stock car, that Michael didn't want to race in America because he liked the fact that he wasn't recognised, and wanted to keep it that way.

PSfan
14th February 2007, 19:20
Oh yah, and I predict Fousto will probably say something like:

"That would be a good place for the cheater cause the whole team cheats!"

Ok so I can't do a good impression of Fousto to save my life but:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press
2/13/2007 7:19:57 PM

NASCAR suspended the crew chiefs for Matt Kenseth, Kasey Kahne, Scott Riggs and Elliott Sadler and docked all four drivers points before the season-opening Daytona 500 - its strongest statement to date on cheating.
All four cars failed qualifying inspection.

Kenny Francis, crew chief for Kahne, were suspended four races. Rodney Childers, crew chief for Riggs, and Josh Brown, crew chief for Sadler, were suspended two races. Kahne, Riggs and Sadler are teammates at Evernham Motorsports.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=196056&hubname=auto_racing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 cars from the same team are all found to be doing something outside the rules at daytona, around the same time team owner sends out this invitation to Schumacher, isn't it ironic... don't you think :cheese:

captin 1 VXR
14th February 2007, 20:50
only reson he can t do it is ovals don t have gravel traps to knock others of into and he s not a real man like our brit balldog mansall

pentti
14th February 2007, 21:58
Yes.Let's have two cheaters together. I wonder if Schumacher is brave enough to stop his car in the middle of the corner by purpose in Nascar?

Narr
14th February 2007, 22:24
I don't think JPM has that much experience yet.

How much would you need exactly to give that advice ;)

CarlMetro
14th February 2007, 22:25
brit balldog mansall

Apart from the small factor that Mansell never drove a Stock Car either :rolleyes:

CarlMetro
14th February 2007, 22:28

It has been decreed in at least two other threads that until the start of the new season JPM, Schumacher and JV will still be allowed to be discussed in the F1 forum, after the start then al further topics concerning all three will then be moved to their respective forums.

Just ask pino ;)

pentti
14th February 2007, 23:39
;) I imagine Juan Pablo would advise Schuey to turn RIGHT at the first corner !!!Ofcourse to correct slide!!!

Hawkmoon
15th February 2007, 02:21

Schumi has been attending Ferrari's winter tests so he's still very much part of the Ferrari Formula 1 team. I figure that means we can talk about him for a while yet. ;)

tinchote
15th February 2007, 11:05
Man, we desperately need the season to start, so that we can fight over something significant ;) :D

CarlMetro
15th February 2007, 11:22
Yeah, only another 31 days :eek:

tinchote
15th February 2007, 12:49

Carl, you didn't have to say that :mad:

I've been carefully trying to delude myself and now you've ruined it ;) :p :

race aficionado
15th February 2007, 15:04

well . . . . you can watch the Daytona 500 that's coming up soon . . . .

whooops! :s mokin: wrong thread! wrong forum! :D

But hey! as long as you are allowing to mention Juan Pablo on this thread . . . . Go JPM!

seeya'

race

p.s. - I will also be anxiously waiting for those 31 days to go by soon enough.

ArrowsFA1
15th February 2007, 15:23
whooops! :s mokin: wrong thread! wrong forum! :D
http://emcsmileys.com/s/107.gif

xtlm
16th February 2007, 19:51

This made me LOL

It would be interesting if he chose to do it though.