PDA

View Full Version : To sign up or not to sign up. That is the question

Sonic
30th April 2009, 17:55
In your opinions which of the current teams (if any) will sign on the dotted line for the budget cap for next season.

My first instinct says Williams. They have not tried to hide the fact that they are swiming against the financial tide, and this could save them. Also with all the goodies on offer for being in "the club" it might be a no brainer.

Jag_Warrior
30th April 2009, 18:09
The budget cap includes driver salaries, yes?

Sonic
30th April 2009, 18:35
shows how much i know. frank is against the idea if it means a two tier formula.

as for the driver pay, i believe it is outside of the cap.

UltimateDanGTR
30th April 2009, 20:40
'that is the question' No sonic, your wrong.

the question is: 'will it blend? that is the question....'

thats something for you tube................

anyway, Williams, Force India, Toro Rosso first for budget cap.

christophulus
30th April 2009, 22:30
I think it'll be all-or-nothing. I don't think any of the present teams are interested in this two-tier system, it'll depend more on how stubborn Ferrari, BMW etc are with regards to cost cutting.

In my opinion the FIA might just have made enough concessions to get everyone to sign up, especially excluding marketing and driver salaries, engines next year.. But how effective a cap will be with all these exceptions is another question entirely.

aryan
1st May 2009, 06:36
The budget cap includes driver salaries, yes?

No.

Race driver and test driver salaries, driver development programmes, any marketing or promotional activity, the engine, plus any activity which can be shown not to affect or develop the car's performance is excluded from the budget cap.

PSfan
1st May 2009, 07:08
If there was still someone at Ferrari/Fiat with any brains at all they would quickly try and snatch up one of the welfare... cough cough... I mean capped spots and run a maserati team using Ferrari designs under a similar scheme as Red Bull - Toro Rosso are doing. Have one team uncapped so they can spend all they want developing, while the capped team gains from it...

wmcot
2nd May 2009, 06:54
If there was still someone at Ferrari/Fiat with any brains at all they would quickly try and snatch up one of the welfare... cough cough... I mean capped spots and run a maserati team using Ferrari designs under a similar scheme as Red Bull - Toro Rosso are doing. Have one team uncapped so they can spend all they want developing, while the capped team gains from it...

Add McLaren and Toyota to that and you start to fill up the grid with the same old teams.

Jag_Warrior
2nd May 2009, 19:25

I agree, that would be a good strategy for playing both sides of the fence. But the cost of playing both sides of the fence would fall on Fiat Group. Given the state of the global automotive environment, I'm not sure they'd want that to be the case.

wmcot
3rd May 2009, 08:45
I agree, that would be a good strategy for playing both sides of the fence. But the cost of playing both sides of the fence would fall on Fiat Group. Given the state of the global automotive environment, I'm not sure they'd want that to be the case.

They could run under "Chrysler" and write it off as advertising. ;)

Or, even better, they could run under the "Jeep" name. Imagine explaining how your F1 team finished behind a Jeep!!!