PDA

View Full Version : The Month of May thread......

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 14:31
http://www.indycar.com/schedule/pdf/2009_indy_schedule.pdf

^schedule of activities Just a click away....

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 14:39
My Opening Odds....

feel free to debunk.....

Dixon 3-1
Briscoe 4-1
Helio 4-1
Franchitti 4-1
Kannaan 6-1
Power 8-1
Andretti 8-1
Tracy 10-1
Rahal 20-1
Danica 25-1
RHR 25-1
Wheldon 25-1
Carpenter 40-1
Doornboos 40-1
Mutuh 50-1
Sarah 50-1
Miera 50-1
Wilson 60-1
Tag 60-1
Matos 60-1
J Andretti 60-1
Moreas 100-1
Conway 100-1
Milka 250-1
Barrett 900-1

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 14:43
a few opening Questions:

which IRL regular is most likely to get bumped?

which IRL regular will be the slowest to actually make the field?

Who gets the pole?

which driver will suprise us all and be in the top 11?

which driver will most suprisingly not make the the top 11?

where will Tracy Qualify?

feel free to add more........

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 14:45
a few opening Questions:

Who gets the pole?

Stanton
Milka
Briscoe
Fisher
Danica
7th

coogmaster
28th April 2009, 15:48
a few opening Questions:

Stanton Barrett

May is full of surprises so its hard to say, but my guess will be Duno or Conway

Who gets the pole?
Graham Rahal

Robert Doornbos or Mario Moraes

Hideki Mutoh

Front Row:

Graham Rahal
Ryan Briscoe
Scott Dixon

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 16:21
a few opening Questions:

Stanton Barrett

May is full of surprises so its hard to say, but my guess will be Duno or Conway

Who gets the pole?
Graham Rahal

Robert Doornbos or Mario Moraes

Hideki Mutoh

Front Row:

Graham Rahal
Ryan Briscoe
Scott Dixon

Graham on pole?

that's a bold prediction!......

sure would be exciteing

coogmaster
28th April 2009, 16:28
Graham on pole?

that's a bold prediction!......

sure would be exciteing

Based on Kansas results and what he's said about his INDY Indycar... I figure its not that big of a long shot...

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 16:36
Based on Kansas results and what he's said about his INDY Indycar... I figure its not that big of a long shot...

it would cool... a great story for certain...

I went 20-1 based more on last seasons oval performance than anything else... he was impressive at Kansas for certian...perhaps i have his odds a little high... 12-1?

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 16:38
and i like your doornboos and moreas for top 11...

moreas has been quick in preseason testing at homestead and Kansas...

KV seems to have the horse and aero to get to the sharp end of the grid... should bode well for Tracy IMO

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 18:18
Lazier, Duno added
Posted: April 28, 2009
Read Comments(4) Recommend E-mailPrintShareA A
Former Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Lazier and Milka Duno have been added to the entry list for the May 24 race.
Lazier, who won in 1996, said Monday he will drive the No. 91 Hemelgarn Johnson entry in an attempt to make his 17th career Indianapolis 500 start.

^I missed it... looks like Buddy Lazier has himself a seat...

I'll give put him at 75-1...

DanicaFan
28th April 2009, 22:25
I will be at the track everyday its open in May. I will be playing and having fun most of the days but 3 of the days I will be working. I cant wait.

Hoop-98
29th April 2009, 03:13
I am going to wait a bit, but I don't think KV will be up front, and NHL will be a tick off. The aero at Indy is nothing like the other ovals.

jm2c

rh

SarahFan
29th April 2009, 03:16
I am going to wait a bit, but I don't think KV will be up front, and NHL will be a tick off. The aero at Indy is nothing like the other ovals.

jm2c

rh

are you going Hoop?

Hoop-98
29th April 2009, 03:30
are you going Hoop?

Unlikely unless something works out at last minute. Our business has doubled every 10 months or so for 3 years (something to be thankful for) so I have to fit racing in whenever I can.

rh

SarahFan
1st May 2009, 14:12
its May 1st!

the granddaddy of them all is three weeks and 2 days away...

whose going?

methanolHuffer
1st May 2009, 18:32
I'm going - I'm on the other side of town. Some friends from out west are coming this year.
And a couple from Michigan, maybe. It's going to be a crowded house, but we'll have fun.

MDS
1st May 2009, 19:48
This is something I've been thinking about... Who's win would have the biggest impact for the IRL?

I'm going with Graham Rahal on this one. He would be the youngest ever winner, he's American, talented, has some name recongiition already and would really vault him into success in his own right. It would be the first NHL win since Paul Newman died, and that would up the media exposure.

I know there are people who would say Danica or Marco would be a better choice, and really either of them wold be an improvement over most of the field, but Marco's personality is just really bland, and Danica, well she's Danica, but either one would be be good for the sport.

Probably the best case scenario would be if Graham somehow "Stole" the win from Marco. A rivlalry between those two would be great for the sport. If I were Graham's manager I would tell him to find a way to start a feud with Marco, short of causing a crash of course. Controversy sells, and the next generation of two legendary families fighting each other would drive ratings.

Also, I'll admit there are a lot of good stories out there as far as drivers winning. Sarah Fisher, Will Power, Helio Castroneves, Dario, PT, but I firmly believe that what builds stars is winning. Why is Jeff Gordon Jeff Gordon? Because he won, a lot, and was able to take that winning and build into a fan base of people who loved and hated him. If Graham were to win the 500 and then rip off three or four more wins this season and win the championship, which looks possible based on his results so far, it would be the best thing that could happen this year.

Mad_Hatter
1st May 2009, 20:00
What has G. Rahal said about his car for INDY?

garyshell
1st May 2009, 20:02
As far as biigest impact for the IRL, I agree with your assessment of Graham as a candidate. But I think a win by Sarah would do a lot. (No, SarahFan, I am not PREDICTING such a win.) The story lines if she were to win would be endless. First woman, David vs. Goliath, etc. etc.

Gary

SarahFan
1st May 2009, 22:28
As far as biigest impact for the IRL, I agree with your assessment of Graham as a candidate. But I think a win by Sarah would do a lot. (No, SarahFan, I am not PREDICTING such a win.) The story lines if she were to win would be endless. First woman, David vs. Goliath, etc. etc.

Gary

Sarah will take the pole with a new track record.... and the more i think about it the more I'm convinced she will lap the entire field...TWICE!

DBell
1st May 2009, 23:14
Sarah will take the pole with a new track record.... and the more i think about it the more I'm convinced she will lap the entire field...TWICE!

Still waiting on pics of your Sarah shrine. :)

drewdawg727
2nd May 2009, 01:33
Do you think there's a chance that IV or Servia are gonna get a ride for this race?

Walter Zoomie
2nd May 2009, 22:43
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/88/7ut.jpg

Get it here...

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122347 http://walterzoomiesworld.blogspot.com/

I don't care which.

In advance...I'm sorry!

;)

Loneranger
2nd May 2009, 23:05
a few opening Questions:

None. They all make the field.

Stanton Barrett

Who gets the pole?

Helio

Doornbos. Would that be a surprise though? Probably for most. Ryan Hunter Reay. Again, would he be a surprise, or an underdog?

Dixon

Top ten, maybe even higher. I think he will surprise. Both he and Vasser have tons of successful oval experience. They are coming to win.

SarahFan
3rd May 2009, 01:50
None. They all make the field.

Stanton Barrett

Helio

Doornbos. Would that be a surprise though? Probably for most. Ryan Hunter Reay. Again, would he be a surprise, or an underdog?

Dixon

Top ten, maybe even higher. I think he will surprise. Both he and Vasser have tons of successful oval experience. They are coming to win.

whats that fies and gravy thing you canucks like to eat...Poontang?

wanna bet some of that on the dixon deal?

Loneranger
3rd May 2009, 02:07
whats that fies and gravy thing you canucks like to eat...Poontang?

wanna bet some of that on the dixon deal?

Little bit 'o poontang? Sure, why not.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd May 2009, 03:47
few opening Questions:

Stanton Barrett

Duno

Who gets the pole?
Tony Kanaan

Robert Doornbos

Marco Andretti

20th

I think Kanaan, Franchitti, Dixon and Briscoe are your Favourites.

Danica will do ok, not great but ok in qualifying but race well until adversity hits once again....

drewdawg727
5th May 2009, 19:50
Hey here's a question - what if one of the last minute entries in is a rookie and they don't do rookie orientation these next two days?
Just thinking because Dale Coyne has yet to announce his 2nd driver (other teams are in that situation also based on all those TBAs) and what if he is someone whom has not raced at Indy before?

I hope that Rice makes it into the field. Would love to see Beatriz in the field also debuting for the Indy 500. I hope Conquest can pick up someone like Andrew Ranger or something like that for the 2nd car too, one of those archived CCWS guys need to be jobless somewhere...

DBell
5th May 2009, 19:59
^^^
If Coyne fields a second car, I would expect Bruno to be in it, but you never know. I think Ranger is in the Nascar system somewhere. (Canada?) I haven't heard him mentioned in regards to OW for a couple of years. You hear something?

drewdawg727
5th May 2009, 20:29
Nah i haven't heard anything...just thinking back to the old CC days. I don't think Junqueira is going to be in the second car based on what i've heard in some insider's twitter updates, but we will have to see i guess.

gofastandwynn
5th May 2009, 22:20
From the WISH TV8 Blog:

http://blogs.wishtv.com/2009/05/05/rookie-o-and-driver-updates/

Paul Tracy is the most jovial and relaxed I have ever seen him. PT signed dozens of autographs today, taking time to speak with several fans. Tracy seems happy to be back at the track.

Townsend Bell was also seen in front of the KV garage signing autographs. I believe the talented Bell has locked up the #8 seat at KV Racing, as he dropped some hints about what his car will look like.

DanicaFan
5th May 2009, 22:45
Some notable times for the rookie orientation program today at the Speedway were...

Paul Tracy ran the quickest lap of 40.3426 seconds or 223.069 mph. Scott Sharp ran a lap of 40.5628 seconds or 221.878 mph. Robert Doornbos recorded a lap of 40.5889 seconds or 221.735 mph.

the bro
5th May 2009, 23:08
http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=13812

"Reducing the carbon footprint"

"Nelson Philippe will be driving the No. 00 i drive green HVM Racing-prepared car for the Month of May."

"We're raising awareness of the need to reduce our carbon footprint and 00 stands for zero emissions,"

I wonder how the car gives off zero emissions? Maybe they blow the exhaust straight in to his helmet! No beef with Philippe but some of these green schemes make no sense.

Tracy put in a decent lap at 223.069 mph.

Alexamateo
5th May 2009, 23:29
Get it here...

http://walterzoomiesworld.blogspot.com/

I don't care which.

In advance...I'm sorry!

Hey Zoomie! :wave: Good to hear from you again. I always enjoy your unique perspective :crazy: . So tell us, Who's gonna win :champion: who's gonna lose :bigcry: and what we really want to know. Is that Canadian from Canadia gonna bring out the mask again? :batman:

MDS
5th May 2009, 23:50
Photos from day ones, couple new liveries

http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=80170&size=medhttp://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=80170&size=med

http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=80175&size=med

TURN3
6th May 2009, 00:01
I've been anxious to see how KV's cars would be and with Tracy in it. I thinkn it is fair to say they've got something to work with after 26 laps of practice! That lap would've had him teetering on the edge of qualifying him in the top 11 last year and the track conditions weren't nearly as fast as they'll be as the month goes on. Put a true talented driver in one of these no talent required cars and good things can happen.

gofastandwynn
6th May 2009, 03:06
I've been anxious to see how KV's cars would be and with Tracy in it. I thinkn it is fair to say they've got something to work with after 26 laps of practice! That lap would've had him teetering on the edge of qualifying him in the top 11 last year and the track conditions weren't nearly as fast as they'll be as the month goes on. Put a true talented driver in one of these no talent required cars and good things can happen.

Well, to be fair I was watching the video feed when PT set that lap and he had a tow from Sharp from that whole lap. After Scott pulled in PT's next lap was only at 220.

TURN3
6th May 2009, 03:12
Well, to be fair I was watching the video feed when PT set that lap and he had a tow from Sharp from that whole lap. After Scott pulled in PT's next lap was only at 220.

There are a lot of factors, I don't doubt that. Just a really good sign. I was watching the feed when he did 221 on his 6th lap and there was no toe. Even that puts him in around mid-field at 6 laps in day 1. I'm just saying it is a good sign if you're pulling for him...bad sign if you're not. I wouldn't want him in my mirrors 20 laps from the end given what has been taken from him.

Hoop-98
6th May 2009, 03:19
http://i40.tinypic.com/30nkg02.jpg

rh

gofastandwynn
6th May 2009, 03:35
Rahal Letterman Racing
Arrives at Indy (http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/auto_racing/indycar/Rahal_Letterman_Racing_Arrives_At_Indy)

NDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - After an off-season of uncertainty, it appears one of the most popular teams in IndyCar racing is ready for another crack at the 500.

Rahal Letterman Racing hasn't appeared in the series in 2009 after losing last year's sponsor Ethanol.

Team owner Bobby Rahal said several times during the offseason that he was hopeful to have an Indy 500 program, and today the team unloaded their car from their hauler, which was still painted in the colors of last year's Ethanol ride.

Right now, the car is a painted as a throwback, and a homage to the great Dan Gurney, one of Bobby Rahal's racing heroes.

The number 17 is painted to resemble one of Gurney's famous Eagles from the 1960's.

No driver has been named to the Rahal Letterman Racing team as of yet.
http://media2.wishtv.com//photo/2009/05/05/IMG00030_20090505222836_640_480.JPG

Curt Cavin says Servia will be the driver

MDS
6th May 2009, 03:48
Yep, Paul got a tow, still, consistently over 220 on the first day without full qualifying trim. Not bad.

SarahFan
6th May 2009, 14:41
lets all be honest.... had paul not been fastest yesterday it would have suprised us all....

with that said... those times are definitly respectacle....

if he runs in the top 10 today then his will be a story the IRL can run with for the month...

DanicaFan
6th May 2009, 22:03
I just got back from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Man, it rained all day. The teams did not get any practice time in today. I did however get to hangout a lot in Danica's garage. Got to talk to her for quite awhile as well as her team. Her new car looks great.

She asked me " So how do you like my new colors ?"

Dr. Krogshöj
7th May 2009, 09:11
http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=13812

"Reducing the carbon footprint"

"Nelson Philippe will be driving the No. 00 i drive green HVM Racing-prepared car for the Month of May."

"We're raising awareness of the need to reduce our carbon footprint and 00 stands for zero emissions,"

I wonder how the car gives off zero emissions? Maybe they blow the exhaust straight in to his helmet! No beef with Philippe but some of these green schemes make no sense.

Tracy put in a decent lap at 223.069 mph.

They are probably offsetting it. You may laugh, but for example, F1 is a carbon neutral series right now thanks to offsetting its emissions completely.

Nelson is promoting the green driving technique, and I see nothing wrong with that.

drewdawg727
7th May 2009, 16:15
Chance of rain today, tomorrow, and Saturday at Indy. Sunday definitely looks nice though.

Chamoo
7th May 2009, 16:22
Track is green for all cars. There have been about 30 car/driver combo's on track already. No accidents so far.

With the threat of rain this afternoon, it was hectic when the green flag flew to open practice for all cars, looked like the start of a race.

garyshell
7th May 2009, 16:28
Just saw Danica signing autographs via the video feed on indycar.com and right beside her was our friend DanicaFan. At least I think it was him.

Gary

Chamoo
7th May 2009, 16:34
Just saw Danica signing autographs via the video feed on indycar.com and right beside her was our friend DanicaFan. At least I think it was him.

Gary

I'm sorry, I didn't see him, I fainted when I saw her signing autographs.

SarahFan
7th May 2009, 17:22
Hole Moly...

doornbos just jumped to the top of the time sheets

garyshell
7th May 2009, 17:31
Hole Moly...

And PT is in the top five.

Gary

ChicagocrewIRL
7th May 2009, 18:07
Hole Moly...

This is nuts !

DBell
7th May 2009, 18:25
I'm sorry, I didn't see him, I fainted when I saw her signing autographs.

:D

garyshell
7th May 2009, 18:39
Danica goes to the top of the board at 223.253!

Danicafan must be over the moon about now!

Gary

Hoop-98
7th May 2009, 18:43
Sarah to 10th! Milka's in the top 29!

garyshell
7th May 2009, 19:15
God bless Al Gore, for inventing the Internet. I am sitting in my office working on my laptop while the practice session feed plays on my desktop machine.

Gary

Hoop-98
7th May 2009, 19:47
heck I'm driving along Puget Sound, well stopped for a tea! I'm getting about 90 pct audio/video on the wireless card, i can hear them now lol

Hoop-98
7th May 2009, 20:22
Marco- 225.478

Chamoo
7th May 2009, 20:45
Ryan Hunter-Reay is the first to hit the wall this year. He is alright, he should be back on track today, just some suspension damage. Apparently something broke in the back right of the car.

maxmach
7th May 2009, 21:16
Il'd say the big surprises so far are Doornbos and Tracy, it just feels good even if it is practice.

SarahFan
7th May 2009, 21:49
Il'd say the big surprises so far are Doornbos and Tracy, it just feels good even if it is practice.

How about MissIndy! Sarah Fisher in p13.....

MDS
8th May 2009, 02:17
Thank god the split is over. Has the IRL ever had 32 cars making laps on day 1?

Personally I'm happy to see the NHL both in the top 10. I'm pretty sure Graham has more in the tank. The team built him a new car especially for Indy and that's the first time it's ever seen any track time, so I'm fairly sure Graham and Robert will be in the first four rows. I'm also happy to see PT in the top 12. KVRT was such a strong team last year and really put on a strong effort last year its good to see them get three cars lined up for the 500.

Speaking of Bell, he and Servia both found rides so that means at least one legit car/driver is getting bounced this year, possibly more. It would be big if RHR went home. Wonder if Vision plans on actually giving him decent equipment this year?

ChicagocrewIRL
8th May 2009, 02:58
Thank god the split is over. Has the IRL ever had 32 cars making laps on day 1?

Personally I'm happy to see the NHL both in the top 10. I'm pretty sure Graham has more in the tank. The team built him a new car especially for Indy and that's the first time it's ever seen any track time, so I'm fairly sure Graham and Robert will be in the first four rows. I'm also happy to see PT in the top 12. KVRT was such a strong team last year and really put on a strong effort last year its good to see them get three cars lined up for the 500.

Speaking of Bell, he and Servia both found rides so that means at least one legit car/driver is getting bounced this year, possibly more. It would be big if RHR went home. Wonder if Vision plans on actually giving him decent equipment this year?

Well based on the "equipment" they have provided Ryan Hunter-Reay I don't have much faith in quality stuff for Bell. Ryan had a DOG of a car at Kansas where car set up is everything. On the street courses where the driver plays more of a role, Ryan did very well with the the equipment. I hope Ryan's team does right by him and give him something decent to drive. Judging by today, he was on the edge only doing 218s. UGH !!!!

TURN3
8th May 2009, 03:44
Well based on the "equipment" they have provided Ryan Hunter-Reay I don't have much faith in quality stuff for Bell. Ryan had a DOG of a car at Kansas where car set up is everything. On the street courses where the driver plays more of a role, Ryan did very well with the the equipment. I hope Ryan's team does right by him and give him something decent to drive. Judging by today, he was on the edge only doing 218s. UGH !!!!

Something is off there w/ RHR, that is for sure. We as spectators can only see the obvious but you can't tell me the crew at Vision can't figure SOMETHING out! Eddie isn't far off and last year IV was pretty strong on high speed tracks. This doesn't all add up, not 2 races in a row.

On another note, looking at the times today, I think Helio is looking strong for pole. You never know what gains will be had in day 2, Dixon, Dario, & Briscoe might have something for him we haven't seen. Marco's times were set with a jetstream today, no secret but Helio was consistently above 225 w/o toe. Overall, AGR is strong but looks like a tic off of the 4 reds. NHL looking to be right there too. Top 11 qualifying will be interesting because outside of top 4 I think it is a free for all with the next 10 in line.

NickFalzone
8th May 2009, 03:50
Maybe this is misreading the situation, but does RHR even have a sponsor yet? I know he's got a few personal sponsors, etc. but I don't see a full-time car sponsor lined up yet. There was some $$ that went into the St. Pete car, probably out of TG's pocket, but the plan was to quickly get a fulltime sponsor on board. Since that hasnt happened yet, they could very well be skimping on RHR's equipment. He'll make the race and I could still see a top 10-15 result, but from what I can tell Carpenter will be getting the faster racecar.

gofastandwynn
8th May 2009, 05:03

I think it more comes down to having a good engineer. And with RHR's team coming together so late I would guess most of the good one were already taken...

Mad_Hatter
8th May 2009, 13:48
When DCR hired Bill Pappas was that in addition or in place of previous staff?

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 00:14
Sorry I am getting these practice times to you late, I have been busy down at the track. Here are Thursday's practice results..

Rank / Car# & Driver / Time / Speed

1. #26 Marco Andretti / 00:39.9152 / 225.478
2. #3 Helio Castroneves / 00:39.9579 / 225.237
3. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 00:40.0171 / 224.904
4. #9 Scott Dixon / 00:40.0983 / 224.448
5. #10 Dario Franchitti / 00:40.1499 / 224.160
6. #4 Dan Wheldon / 00:40.1747 / 224.022
7. #06 Robert Doornbos / 00:40.2518 / 223.592
8. #7 Danica Patrick / 00:40.3130 / 223.253
9. #02 Graham Rahal / 00:40.3594 / 222.996
10. #12 Will Power / 00:40.3776 / 222.896
11. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 00:40.4049 / 222.745
12. #15 Paul Tracy / 00:40.4184 / 222.671
13. #11 Tony Kanaan / 00:40.4321 / 222.595
14. #20 Ed Carpenter / 00:40.4364 / 222.572
15. #16 Scott Sharp / 00:40.4609 / 222.437
16. #5 Mario Moraes / 00:40.5132 / 222.150
17. #43 John Andretti / 00:40.5569 / 221.910
18. #67 Sarah Fisher / 00:40.6037 / 221.655
19. #44 Davey Hamilton / 00:40.6094 / 221.624
20. #99 Alex Lloyd / 00:40.6833 / 221.221
21. #18 Justin Wilson / 00:40.6872 / 221.200
22. #14 Vitor Meira / 00:40.6979 / 221.142
23. #41 AJ Foyt IV / 00:40.7165 / 221.041
24. #13 EJ Viso / 00:40.7347 / 220.942
25. #24 Mike Conway / 00:40.7894 / 220.646
26. #2 Raphael Matos / 00:40.8669 / 220.227
27. #12 Ryan Briscoe / 00:40.8943 / 220.080
28. #23 Milka Duno / 00:40.9566 / 219.745
29. #34 Alex Tagliani / 00:41.0051 / 219.485
30. #00 Nelson Philippe / 00:41.0110 / 219.453
31. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 00:41.2221 / 218.329
32. #98 Stanton Barrett / 00:41.2676 / 218.089

TURN3
9th May 2009, 02:30
Forgive me but the practice times for the day are available in about 20 places all over the internet, including this forum. Don't worry too much about how punctual you are in posting them, it is hardly proprietary info.

Is there a pick em's for pole tomorrow/Sunday (rain)? Looks like Helio to me. Penske/Ganassi sweep top 4 spots. The next 7 are up for grabs although I think AGR is the strongest as a group. Interesting to see where NHL and Wheldon end up mixed in spots 5-11. Then you have Power and Lloyd in superior machinery too. Should get exciting for once in a long time.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 04:02
Scott Sharp hit the wall during practice today. He is fine though. Here are the results of today's practice session (May 8th)...

Rank / Car# & Driver / Time / Speed

1. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 00:39.8263 / 225.981
2. #3 Helio Castroneves / 00:39.9223 / 225.438
3. #10 Dario Franchitti / 00:40.0029 / 224.984
4. #9 Scott Dixon / 00:40.0317 / 224.822
5. #7 Danica Patrick / 00:40.0436 / 224.755
6. #26 Marco Andretti / 00:40.0492 / 224.724
7. #12 Will Power / 00:40.0733 / 224.588
8. #4 Dan Wheldon / 00:40.1146 / 224.357
9. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 00:40.1388 / 224.222
10. #99 Alex Lloyd / 00:40.1393 / 224.219
11. #02 Graham Rahal / 00:40.1528 / 224.144
12. #11 Tony Kanaan / 00:40.1726 / 224.033
13. #06 Robert Doornbos / 00:40.1867 / 223.955
14. #5 Mario Moraes / 00:40.2549 / 223.575
15. #14 Vitor Meira / 00:40.2573 / 223.562
16. #26 Tony Kanaan / 00:40.2747 / 223.465
17. #15 Paul Tracy / 00:40.2916 / 223.372
18. #2 Raphael Matos / 00:40.4203 / 222.660
19. #67 Sarah Fisher / 00:40.4596 / 222.444
20. #43 John Andretti / 00:40.5262 / 222.079
21. #20 Ed Carpenter / 00:40.5367 / 222.021
22. #44 Davey Hamilton / 00:40.5440 / 221.981
23. #16 Scott Sharp / 00:40.5882 / 221.739
24. #18 Justin Wilson / 00:40.5885 / 221.738
25. #34 Alex Tagliani / 00:40.6250 / 221.538
26. #41 AJ Foyt IV / 00:40.7525 / 220.845
27. #13 EJ Viso / 00:40.7540 / 220.837
28. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 00:40.7949 / 220.616
29. #24 Mike Conway / 00:40.8163 / 220.500
30. #00 Nelson Philippe / 00:40.9376 / 219.847
31. #23 Milka Duno / 00:40.9708 / 219.669
32. #98 Stanton Barrett / 00:41.1506 / 218.709
33. #06T Robert Doornbos / 00:41.3382 / 217.716

SarahFan
9th May 2009, 04:06
Hoop mentioned a new engine etc for TK tomorrow....

anyone know why he took out the #11

if all 4 make the first 11 is AGR going to roll out a 5th driver?

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 17:34
Ryan Briscoe currently holds the pole position with a little over 224mph.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 17:51
They just said that Justin Wilson's car was disqualified for the weight ballast placement in the car. So, we now have 10 qualified cars.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 17:56
No one out qualifying at the moment. Track is open for practice. Danica is sitting at 7th spot.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 18:38
Dario just qualified, moved to P2.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 19:48
Dixon and Kanaan just completed thier qualification laps. Dixon got P4 and Kanaan got P8. Just over 3 hours to go in this session.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 20:55
Danica just went out again and made a 2nd qualifying attempt. This move put her at P7.

Tony Kanaan's attempt was disqualified due to weight requirement so he will have to try again.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 21:20
Helio Castroneves just grabs the pole.

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 23:03
Well, our first 11 are qualified. Congrats to Helio for the pole. That is awesome. You deserve it big guy. Welcome back!!!

Here is the starting grid so far...

Row 1

#3 Helio Castroneves
#6 Ryan Briscoe
#10 Dario Franchitti

Row 2

#02 Graham Rahal
#9 Scott Dixon
#11 Tony Kanaan

Row 3

#5 Mario Moraes
#26 Marco Andretti
#12 Will Power

Row 4

#7 Danica Patrick
#99 Alex Lloyd

DanicaFan
9th May 2009, 23:42
If someone could delete the above post since I cant edit it. Here are the positions with the speeds.

Well, our first 11 are qualified. Congrats to Helio for the pole. That is awesome. You deserve it big guy. Welcome back!!!

Here is the starting grid so far...

Row 1

#3 Helio Castroneves -224.864
#6 Ryan Briscoe - 224.083
#10 Dario Franchitti - 224.010

Row 2

#02 Graham Rahal -223.954
#9 Scott Dixon -223.867
#11 Tony Kanaan - 233.612

Row 3

#5 Mario Moraes -223.331
#26 Marco Andretti - 223.114
#12 Will Power -223.028

Row 4

#7 Danica Patrick - 222.882
#99 Alex Lloyd - 222.622

Loneranger
10th May 2009, 04:47
What do I win for picking pole? See post #24. :)

DanicaFan
10th May 2009, 05:24
What do I win for picking pole? See post #24. :)

Not sure. You get a kudos from me though. :)

DanicaFan
10th May 2009, 05:26
Here is a picture of me and Danica in her garage at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

DanicaFan
10th May 2009, 05:30
Here is a picture of me and Danica in her garage at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/IMG_0731.jpg

Loneranger
10th May 2009, 06:54

Sorry, but did you just actually post a photo of you and Danica?

SarahFan
10th May 2009, 14:05

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/IMG_0731.jpg

d...
are you a policeperson or a security guard?

DanicaFan
11th May 2009, 00:02
The 2nd day of qualifications are over. Now we have 22 drivers in the field so far. Next qualification day is Sat, May 16th where the positions 23-33 are filled.

Here is how the starting grid looks so far..

Row 1

Row 2

#9 Scott Dixon -223.867

Row 3

#5 Mario Moraes -223.331
#12 Will Power -223.028

Row 4

#99 Alex Lloyd - 222.622
#2 Raphael Matos - 223.429

Row 5

#15 Paul Tracy - 223.111
#14 Vitor Meira - 223.054
#18 Justin Wilson - 222.903

Row 6

#27 Hideki Mutoh - 222.805
#20 Ed Carpenter - 222.780
#4 Dan Wheldon - 222.777

Row 7

#41 AJ Foyt IV - 222.586
#16 Scott Sharp - 222.162
#67 Sarah Fisher - 222.082

Row 8

#44 Davey Hamilton - 221.956

champcarray
11th May 2009, 13:43
Does anyone else here remember when Indy 500 Pole Day was the second largest attended event in auto racing? How many non-team/sponsor people were in the grandstands on Saturday -- 5,000? Pitiful.

SarahFan
11th May 2009, 14:42
Does anyone else here remember when Indy 500 Pole Day was the second largest attended event in auto racing? How many non-team/sponsor people were in the grandstands on Saturday -- 5,000? Pitiful.

5-10-2009

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4788/p5100003q.jpg

garyshell
11th May 2009, 14:59

Oh gee, what a startling revelation! As if this hasn't been the case for MANY years now. Sure I remember what it was like, but I also remember it hasn't been that way for quite a while. Nothing new here.

Gary

Hoop-98
11th May 2009, 15:12
That was a great two days of qualifying IMHO with tremendous coverage. Not something you will hear me say often.

rh

maxmach
11th May 2009, 15:55
That was an exciing two days, lots and lots of coverage, and I could see most of it cause I dvr'd it and girlfreind was gone. I might even say I am raced out, but just for a bit.
Loved the PT interview, where Paul was trying mightily to be pc, and then admitted he thought he was "screwed". Unbelivabe save by Rahal, and pretty cool that Sharp got in on the last laps of the day, although I don't think he thanked Viso for letting him run.
Lot of coverage, most of it good, I mean when was the last time there was 6 hours of coverage of indy cars? Two days in a row.
Ok, can't wait for the Indy 500, and I will be making(not asking) my friends watch it, gotta do our part.

garyshell
11th May 2009, 16:11
What a classy thing for EJ Viso to do, knowing he has another chance to qualify and Scott did not. Hats off to him!!! I certainly hope this doesn't bite him in the butt!

Gary

harvick#1
11th May 2009, 16:46
EJ will get in, as long as he doesn't wreck in qualifying. He was very humble and seemed pumped when he got bumped, I'm surprised who that team hasn't had the speed at Indy, they always seemed strong on the cookie cutters, guess just not that fast flat out.

chuck34
11th May 2009, 20:40
and pretty cool that Sharp got in on the last laps of the day, although I don't think he thanked Viso for letting him run.

I thought I heard Scott say something along those lines. Something like "thank you to all they guys for getting out of the way"?

MDS
11th May 2009, 21:30
I thought I heard Scott say something along those lines. Something like "thank you to all they guys for getting out of the way"?

He did, but what E.J. and his team did was pure class. They hustled to get out of his way knowing they were on the bubble and wouldn't be able to defend their position if he went out. Some guys would have just put in their own paper and ran four laps, and probably kept their position in the field, or maybe improved a bit. Some guys would have "Had difficulty" moving their car and stuck Scott in line. Or they could have had Nelson Phillipe take qualifying run, knowing he didn't have enoungh speed, but could have stopped Scott

They won't get a lot of credit for it, but that was probably the most classy move pulled at the speedway all month.

methanolHuffer
11th May 2009, 22:01
They could have left the car to be qualified by another driver, if needed.

All in all it worked out - and then was made into a 'story' for the media. Far less interesting things have been made bigger by a desperate news channel/paper. And Indiana has no shortage of those.

chuck34
11th May 2009, 23:50
He did, but what E.J. and his team did was pure class. They hustled to get out of his way knowing they were on the bubble and wouldn't be able to defend their position if he went out. Some guys would have just put in their own paper and ran four laps, and probably kept their position in the field, or maybe improved a bit. Some guys would have "Had difficulty" moving their car and stuck Scott in line. Or they could have had Nelson Phillipe take qualifying run, knowing he didn't have enoungh speed, but could have stopped Scott

They won't get a lot of credit for it, but that was probably the most classy move pulled at the speedway all month.

Agreed, it was one heck of a classy move by EJ and his crew. I hope I didn't come off implying anything different. I just wanted to add that I thought Scott did thank him, but couldn't remember the exact words.

chuck34
11th May 2009, 23:56
Oh gee, what a startling revelation! As if this hasn't been the case for MANY years now. Sure I remember what it was like, but I also remember it hasn't been that way for quite a while. Nothing new here.

Gary

I apologize in advance for prolonging this disscusion, but I have to add something. Sorry :-(

Gary you are right it is not a startling revelation at all. I wish that we could get back to where qual crowds were "back in the day". But let's face it, they aren't comming back. I would say, mostly because we will never again hear Tom Carnegie (or anyone else for that matter) say "It's a neeew traaaack reeeecord". God that sends chills up my spine just typing it. And sure the split hastened that decline, but I think even without the split pole day attendance would be waning anyway.

That being said, I do think the past 2 or 3 years has seen a bit of an uptick in attendance. I'm sure someone will be along with pics proving me wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten (mainly from TV).

Also, I don't think you would see a crowd anywhere near that size anywhere else just for qualifying. Most other places get (probably) somewhere close to that for their qual days, but they have 2 or 3 other races going on all day as well.

Chamoo
12th May 2009, 14:51
Maybe karma has come around in favor of E.J. Viso and the HVM team. Herbalife, who is a personal sponsor of E.J. (on his helmet), has just signed on to sponsor the team and have some branding on the car as well as auxiliary equipment and crew shirts. This is very good news for what is rumored to be a cash strapped ICS team.

Herbalife is also sponsoring the #8 KVRT car for Townsend Bell with a nice livery to boot. If I can find the picture the KVRT team leaked out, I'll throw it up here as soon as I get the chance.

ChicagocrewIRL
16th May 2009, 21:42
Does anyone else think it's really totally cool to have a team owner as a TV commentator ? Robbie Buhl's insights are fascinating and even more so when his team cars are running. You can sense the tension in his voice when his cars out there and you can also see the team owner side of him want to come out.
Yet, he holds in his emotions and continues as a professional TV guy. I think the dynamic is so interesting and whoever got him to do the job on Versus is a genius. I find myself hanging on his every word.

I am a Robbie Buhl fan !!! (can i change my username?) I think he will win 5 emmys for his TV work.

ChicagocrewIRL
16th May 2009, 23:27
Nelson Phillipe's reaction was absolutely priceless !!! When Barrett slowed on his last 2 turns and ended up not qualifying, Nelson just seemed so relieved and surprised.

This is Indy. It's not just another race.

DanicaFan
17th May 2009, 04:27
Well, the field is full now. 33 cars have qualified. Tomorrow is bump day. There are at least 3 drivers looking to bump their way in tomorrow. These are Bruno Junqueira, Stanton Barrett, and Buddy Lazier. Im hoping they bump Milka out.. http://lasttofirst.com/Smileys/yarex2/wink.gif

Here is how the field looks now..

Row 1

Row 2

#9 Scott Dixon -223.867

Row 3

#5 Mario Moraes -223.331
#12 Will Power -223.028

Row 4

#99 Alex Lloyd - 222.622

Row 5

#15 Paul Tracy - 223.111

Row 6

#4 Dan Wheldon - 222.777

Row 7

#41 AJ Foyt IV - 222.586

Row 8

#06T Robert Doornbos -221.692
#8 Townsend Bell -221.195

Row 9

#17 Oriol Servia - 220.984
#34T Alex Tagliani - 220.553
#19 Tomas Scheckter - 220.212

Row 10

#24 Mike Conway -220.124
#13 EJ Viso -219.971
#21T Ryan Hunter-Reay -219.502

Row 11

#43 John Andretti -219.442
#23 Milka Duno -218.040
#33 Nelson Philippe -218.032

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2009, 14:38
Anyone not able to make 220 should be sweating but I don't think there is a whole lot of people left with the speed to bump in. Stanton Barrett I hope can bump his way in and Duno out, but I like Phillippe and he has to go first so I have NO clue how any of it shakes out.

I am just happy there is the possiblity of bumping after all those years of NO bumps AT ALL. You want to know why no one goes to qualifying, that is a large part of it. The drama of who will make the field was the best part of Indy. That and the increasing speeds every year. The latter was something that was inevitable, but the lack of a bumping drama goes right back to making people take sides in a turf war engineered by the very people claiming to want to protect the sport...

Hoop-98
17th May 2009, 18:41
By Speed...

http://i43.tinypic.com/29mrpk0.jpg

rh

Hoop-98
17th May 2009, 20:38
On speed....

http://i40.tinypic.com/2u639c0.jpg

rh

TURN3
18th May 2009, 00:08
Versus TV commentator picks.

Interesting, 2 picks for TK and 1 for Danica. That is 3 out of 6 that think the winner comes from AGR which is struggling mightily to keep up with Ganassi, Penske, KV, & NHL. I can see TK being in the hunt for awhile but would be surprised at any of the others sniffing top 6 after halfway. Bob Jenkins said "Interesting Pick" about Arute taking Danica.

Also thought it was interesting to see Buhl make a pick (Briscoe) when he has 4 cars in the field himself. I realize they aren't really good shots at winning but I think that shows a slight conflict of interest being car owner/commentator. He made an honest pick though.

None of them picked a Ganassi...little strange considering they're easily 3rd & 4th strongest behind Penske 1st & 2nd. For 1 of those for not to win will be a real long shot.

beachgirl
18th May 2009, 00:44
Arute choosing Danica. Now there's a shocker. Didn't see that one coming..............(sarcasm alert).

NickFalzone
18th May 2009, 00:51
It's been awhile since Penske won either the 500 or the championship. Well, awhile for Penske, since Hornish won in 06 I believe. Ganassi looks very strong, more so than AGR, but Penske looks like they've really kicked up it up a notch and have the plan in place to get the big wins this year. Some surprises would have to occur for Helio or Briscoe to not be in victory lane. And I would be shocked if it wasn't one of these:

Briscoe
Helio
Dario
Dixon
TK

DanicaFan
18th May 2009, 01:02
Well, the field is now set for the running of the 93rd Indianapolis 500. Bump Day is over. Alex Tagliani, Stanton Barrett, and Buddy Lazier did not make the field today. I was hoping they would of bumped Duno out.

Here is the starting grid for the Indianapolis 500..

Row 1

Row 2

#9 Scott Dixon -223.867

Row 3

#5 Mario Moraes -223.331
#12 Will Power -223.028

Row 4

#99 Alex Lloyd - 222.622

Row 5

#15 Paul Tracy - 223.111

Row 6

#4 Dan Wheldon - 222.777

Row 7

#41 AJ Foyt IV - 222.586

Row 8

Row 9

#19 Tomas Scheckter -221.496
#24 Mike Conway -221.417

Row 10

#43 John Andretti -221.316
#13 EJ Viso -221.164
#36 Bruno Junquiera -221.115

Row 11

#23 Milka Duno -221.106
#00 Nelson Philippe -220.754
#21T Ryan Hunter-Reay -220.597

TURN3
18th May 2009, 01:12
Well, the field is now set for the running of the 93rd Indianapolis 500. Bump Day is over. Alex Tagliani, Stanton Barrett, and Buddy Lazier did not make the field today. I was hoping they would of bumped Duno out.

Here is the starting grid for the Indianapolis 500..

Row 1

Row 2

#9 Scott Dixon -223.867

Row 3

#5 Mario Moraes -223.331
#12 Will Power -223.028

Row 4

#99 Alex Lloyd - 222.622

Row 5

#15 Paul Tracy - 223.111

Row 6

#4 Dan Wheldon - 222.777

Row 7

#41 AJ Foyt IV - 222.586

Row 8

Row 9

#19 Tomas Scheckter -221.496
#24 Mike Conway -221.417

Row 10

#43 John Andretti -221.316
#13 EJ Viso -221.164
#36 Bruno Junquiera -221.115

Row 11

#23 Milka Duno -221.106
#00 Nelson Philippe -220.754
#21T Ryan Hunter-Reay -220.597

Well, thanks. Now I know exactly where Milka qualified relative to the Danica.

DanicaFan
18th May 2009, 01:14
Well, thanks. Now I know exactly where Milka qualified relative to the Danica.

And thats where Duno will finish, near the bottom. Danica on the other hand will take home the Borg Warner Trophy!!! ;)

TURN3
18th May 2009, 01:18
And thats where Duno will finish, near the bottom. Danica on the other hand will take home the Borg Warner Trophy!!! ;)

Well. I can tell you that Milka didn't have to have any of her teammates get in her car for her. Given Milka is coming off a season where she lead more laps than the Danica, I'd say one has just a good of shot at not winning any trophies and the other.

SarahFan
19th May 2009, 15:10
My Opening Odds....

feel free to debunk.....

Dixon 3-1
Briscoe 4-1
Helio 4-1
Franchitti 4-1
Kannaan 6-1
Power 8-1
Andretti 8-1
Tracy 10-1
Rahal 20-1
Danica 25-1
RHR 25-1
Wheldon 25-1
Carpenter 40-1
Doornboos 40-1
Mutuh 50-1
Sarah 50-1
Miera 50-1
Wilson 60-1
Tag 60-1
Matos 60-1
J Andretti 60-1
Moreas 100-1
Conway 100-1
Milka 250-1
Barrett 900-1

ODDS TO WIN 2009 INDY 500
BET # DRIVER TO WIN ODDS
6251 HELIO CASTRONEVES 3/1
6252 SCOTT DIXON 4/1
6253 DARIO FRANCHITTI 4/1
6254 RYAN BRISCOE 5/1
6255 TONY KANAAN 6/1
6256 DANICA PATRICK 8/1
6257 DAN WHELDON 12/1
6258 MARCO ANDRETTI 12/1
6259 GRAHAM RAHAL 12/1
6260 WILL POWER 20/1
6261 PAUL TRACY 20/1
6262 VITOR MEIRA 30/1
6263 HIDEKI MUTOH 40/1
6264 SCOTT SHARP 50/1
6265 ALEX TAGLIANI 50/1
6266 JOHN ANDRETTI 75/1
6267 ED CARPENTER 75/1
6268 JUSTIN WILSON 75/1
6269 RYAN HUNTER-REAY 75/1
6270 FIELD - ALL OTHERS 5/1

^vegas odds

best bets IMO are Power and Tracy at 20-1

chuck34
19th May 2009, 15:27
I agree Ken, I'd put some money down on Power.

I would also put a bit (not much at all) down on Carpenter. I know that a bunch are going to jump all over me for that. I just think he does fairly well at Indy, and if anything happens to the Penske's or Ganassi's he might be in a good spot.

methanolHuffer
19th May 2009, 15:46
I'd like to box a trifecta:

RYAN BRISCOE
HELIO CASTRONEVES
PAUL TRACY

SarahFan
19th May 2009, 16:51
I agree Ken, I'd put some money down on Power.

I would also put a bit (not much at all) down on Carpenter. I know that a bunch are going to jump all over me for that. I just think he does fairly well at Indy, and if anything happens to the Penske's or Ganassi's he might be in a good spot.

not sure i would slap cash on carpenter....

how about Dornboos at 40-1?

slap down a $20 spot to win $800

chuck34
19th May 2009, 18:20
not sure i would slap cash on carpenter....

how about Dornboos at 40-1?

slap down a $20 spot to win $800

How much experience does Dornboos have on ovals and in this type of car? That's the only reason I would discount him. That being said, I can't really argue against picking him either.

Chamoo
20th May 2009, 22:28
How much experience does Dornboos have on ovals and in this type of car? That's the only reason I would discount him. That being said, I can't really argue against picking him either.

Well, I still think he is worthy of those odds. He is in a fast car and he is a racer, whether that be on ovals or road courses. He has shown he can get around Indianapolis, as long as he can keep it off the walls, he can win this race.

DanicaFan
20th May 2009, 22:50
I am telling you all this like I announced on my racing radio show on Monday nights.

Remember this name.... Mario Moraes.

I watched this guy run extremely well during this month of May at Indy. I would not be suprised to see this guy in the top 5.

TURN3
21st May 2009, 01:07
I am telling you all this like I announced on my racing radio show on Monday nights.

Remember this name.... Mario Moraes.

I watched this guy run extremely well during this month of May at Indy. I would not be suprised to see this guy in the top 5.

Dang!!! Another great post, we're on a roll now! I think while the KV cars aren't the favs, you have to look out for all 3 of them if scenarios fall their way. Moraes has been very strong and would be a good bet for the odds. His inexperience concerns me but he has shown KV has the equipment to run toward the front.

F1fanru
21st May 2009, 02:48

She can't win they won't have enough time to airbrush the photos.

ChicagocrewIRL
21st May 2009, 13:04
http://www.versus.com/indycartrackpreview

The Versus version of IMS looks nothing like the real thing, especially the grand stands the whole length on both sides of the backstretch. HAHA my first gripe with Versus.

SarahFan
21st May 2009, 14:04
http://www.versus.com/indycartrackpreview

The Versus version of IMS looks nothing like the real thing, especially the grand stands the whole length on both sides of the backstretch. HAHA my first gripe with Versus.

I think they did a solid job

garyshell
21st May 2009, 15:08
I don't think that is a CGI that Versus produced in house. I can't remember the name of the company, but there is a group that has produced similar VR drive thrus of tracks all over.

Gary