PDA

View Full Version : Formula One Whithout Ferrari?

cynisca
27th April 2009, 16:18
After I have read about that Mercedes would like to leave the Formula One and also that Ferrari would like to leave the Formula One. It brings me to a question:

Can the Formula One live on without Ferrari or Mercedes?

I think yes! I know Ferrari has had a big part in the Formula One's history but I think the Formula One can live on without Ferrari and vice versa. I know it sounds weird but that's the opportunity for the little teams to win the world title. :p

Sonic
27th April 2009, 16:39
In a word. Yes. Whilst important, ferrari is but one team as is mercedes. We went 40 years without silver arrows, and ferrari have threatened to pull out in the past (even building an indy car) but they know as well as anyone that they needs f1 more than f1 needs ferrari.

Psycho!
27th April 2009, 16:42
If something like that happens F1 will lose at least the half of the spectators...So,F1 cannot live without Ferrari and not vice versa!!!

Sonic
27th April 2009, 16:47
I disagree. Ferrari remains probably the only (imo) team that races on sunday and sells on monday. Without a visible race team ferrari road cars sales would suffer after a few years.

N. Jones
27th April 2009, 16:47
I can't see ferrari leaving F1.
I also do not see Mercedes leaving F1. I could see them leaving McLaren for Brawn Gp though....

V12
27th April 2009, 17:04
The first ever World Championship race took place without Ferraris. There have also been a few assorted *ahem* "metal workers strikes" dotted down the years that have caused Ferrari to miss a few races.

Admittedly these were single races in isolation, although IIRC they skipped the entire last half of 1973 to concentrate on '74 (basically what Honda/Brawn did except Honda had to still turn up and go through the motions because of the Concorde Agreement etc.)

Anyway my point is Ferraris have been missing before, F1 is not Ferrari and Ferrari is not F1.

Having said that, I have to agree with Sonic in that motor racing has made the Ferrari brand, not the other way round.

Cooper_S
27th April 2009, 20:05
This old chestnut...

Yes of course the racing could continue without Ferrari but it would be devalued immensely... and to those who rub their hand with glee at the very thought of no Ferrari in F1.. you come across as the kind of people who would cut of their nose just to spite their own face.

My Loyalties in F1 do not lie with Ferrari but I fail to see how the withdrawal of the Scuderia would be anything but negative for the Sport... same applies to McLaren (Mercedes are just an engine supplier which own a medium stake in a team... and disruptive as it might be, their withdrawn would be less significant)

Cooper_S
27th April 2009, 20:10
I disagree. Ferrari remains probably the only (imo) team that races on sunday and sells on monday. Without a visible race team ferrari road cars sales would suffer after a few years.

OK yes that is right... that is why Lamborghini's sell so well it is because of their domination on the track :rolleyes:

Sonic
27th April 2009, 20:20
Figures I've seen suggest ferrari sell close to 7000 cars per year. Lambo only a 1/3 of that. I've no idea how accurate these figures are but i'd say they give a good view that ferrari is a way more popular brand - I would propose as a direct result of its racing program.

BDunnell
27th April 2009, 20:21
Yes of course the racing could continue without Ferrari but it would be devalued immensely... and to those who rub their hand with glee at the very thought of no Ferrari in F1.. you come across as the kind of people who would cut of their nose just to spite their own face.

I agree. I would go further and say the same of anyone who rubs their hands with glee at anything negative happening in relation to any F1 team or driver.

27th April 2009, 20:22
Formula One without Ferrari would be like sex without consent.

Some people might get off on it, but it would never be socially acceptable.

BDunnell
27th April 2009, 20:23

Like it!

F1boat
27th April 2009, 20:46

ROFL!

Cooper_S
27th April 2009, 20:54
Figures I've seen suggest Ferrari sell close to 7000 cars per year. Lambo only a 1/3 of that. I've no idea how accurate these figures are but i'd say they give a good view that Ferrari is a way more popular brand - I would propose as a direct result of its racing program.

And I suppose the 20 years Ferrari where a laughing stock in F1 the never sold a single motor... Ferrari have not 'needed' their F1 racing to sell their road cars for many years... it is their history and it certainly helps, but it is not essential...

AndyRAC
27th April 2009, 21:39
I hope it will never happen. While sometimes they possibly seem to have a more than healthy influence - F1 needs Ferrari. They are the most charismatic name in Motorsport. Long may they continue.

Sonic
27th April 2009, 22:00
And I suppose the 20 years Ferrari where a laughing stock in F1 the never sold a single motor... Ferrari have not 'needed' their F1 racing to sell their road cars for many years... it is their history and it certainly helps, but it is not essential...

Agreed. Your screen name proves your point; either you own or aspire to own a cooper - trading on motorsport success 50 years old.

But back to the original question no one team is bigger than the sport as a whole.

Cooper_S
27th April 2009, 22:33
Agreed. Your screen name proves your point; either you own or aspire to own a cooper - trading on motorsport success 50 years old.

Aspire... I love an ex works Mini Cooper or replica

But back to the original question no one team is bigger than the sport as a whole.

Totally agree, my point was that without the likes if Ferrari and McLaren the championship would be devalue for many years... but if F1 was still going 10 years after they pulled out then the new order would be established and we would be watching as we do now without Lotus

Valve Bounce
27th April 2009, 22:35
After I have read about that Mercedes would like to leave the Formula One and also that Ferrari would like to leave the Formula One. It brings me to a question:

I think yes! I know Ferrari has had a big part in the Formula One's history but I think the Formula One can live on without Ferrari and vice versa. I know it sounds weird but that's the opportunity for the little teams to win the world title. :p

The more important question here is whether the two companies will stop supplying engines to the other teams.

Cooper_S
27th April 2009, 22:42
The more important question here is whether the two companies will stop supplying engines to the other teams.

I don't think they would stop supplying but maybe stop developing them...

BDunnell
27th April 2009, 22:47
Totally agree, my point was that without the likes if Ferrari and McLaren the championship would be devalue for many years... but if F1 was still going 10 years after they pulled out then the new order would be established and we would be watching as we do now without Lotus

I'm sure we would, too, despite the undoubted enormous blow of a Ferrari withdrawal in particular. I also agree with the view that while Ferrari's F1 involvement has undoubtedly added much lustre to the marque, I doubt that it's central to its success today. There was a time when Ferrari's involvement in sportscar racing was just as important to it as its F1 participation (some might argue more so, given the prominence of sportscar racing at that time and the very definite link between racing and roadgoing sportscars) and it managed to survive pulling out of that.

CNR
28th April 2009, 00:00
i do not think that i will happen

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12687&Itemid=219

Ferrari is celebrating a good result even as it prepares to redeem itself on the track at the upcoming Bahrain Grand Prix. According to the Fiat Group's

D28
28th April 2009, 01:01
V12 you are correct, Ferrari did miss the British GP, 1950, the first WC Grand Prix. I was unaware of this, and have no idea why, they did appear at Monaco a week later, so the cars probably weren't ready for Britain. They also seem to to have given the French GP a miss.
However I have always argued that Ferrari is the only team to have awswered the starters flag in all seasons from 1950 to 2009. I know there are a few individual misses (US GP 1961), but they have been present through good, bad and indifferent times. For this reason I always have supported Ferrari. Formula 1 without Ferrari could carry on, but it could never be the same. The same is true for Ferrari.

mstillhere
28th April 2009, 04:43

The way things right now I can't care less if Ferrari stay in F1 or not. F1 is dying little by little. I know you McLaren/Brawn/Williams supporters don't like Ferrari, - I wonder whay you still like McLaren,though - but without this team, the most prestigious team that is in F1, the loss in image would be inimaginable and the loss in the public watching this circus would be huge. I feel it has not be the same since MS retired, imagine without Ferrari.

Sure, McLaren fans may be watching their team battling against who? Force India?Renault? Williams? BMW? Who cares? All these teams are in their way out.

You can't compare McLaren to Ferrari. They are two totally definetly teams.
However, I would love it to see Ferrari getting out. And after all, if the standard engine issue will be implemented I see no reason why any engine maker team-except for the British teams obviously - should stay in F1. Hopefully you'll see your question answered pretty soon.

mstillhere
28th April 2009, 04:46
OK yes that is right... that is why Lamborghini's sell so well it is because of their domination on the track :rolleyes:

Not to mention Maserati

Ari
28th April 2009, 07:33

From the very top shelf!! :D

ArrowsFA1
28th April 2009, 09:11
More than 150 teams have taken part in F1 over the years and at the moment we have just 10 competing so along the way a few big names have been lost. Ferrari would certainly be the biggest name to disappear if they withdrew. They and F1 are inextricably linked. Mercedes are rather different as they are one of many manufacturers that have come and gone from the sport over the years.

PolePosition_1
28th April 2009, 09:38
It'd be a great shame to see Ferrari quit F1. For both Ferrari and F1. But lets be honest, both could survive without eachother. Albeit a negative effect for both parties - both would survive.

SGWilko
28th April 2009, 09:46
I actually do think that F1 and Ferrari are synonymous with each other. And I also think this is why FOTA have openly gone on record stating they have no issue if Ferrari get a slightly bigger slice of the cash pie.

The shock that Honda were to quit was enough, imagine if Ferrari did. At the very least, the other manufacturers would see it as a great reason to pull out also.

Sonic
28th April 2009, 10:59
Aspire... I love an ex works Mini Cooper or replica

Good man! I had a beautiful mark 3 for years. Sadly young family + mini does not mix.

leopard
28th April 2009, 11:02
This is just not the right time to pull out of competition whilst being in losing position. The story might be different if only they announce withdrawal during the time they were unbeatable, the game which no one were capable of breaking their strong domination.

We don’t hope this scarcity of point disheartens Ferrari from trying to snatch back their empire.

Knock-on
28th April 2009, 11:23
This old chestnut...

My Loyalties in F1 do not lie with Ferrari but I fail to see how the withdrawal of the Scuderia would be anything but negative for the Sport... same applies to McLaren (Mercedes are just an engine supplier which own a medium stake in a team... and disruptive as it might be, their withdrawn would be less significant)

Totally agree.

It would be very detrimental to F1 if the likes of Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes etc were to leave F1.

However, it would continue, at least in the short term, if fans still watch although I see it shrinking in international importance as a consequence.

cynisca
28th April 2009, 15:50
The way things right now I can't care less if Ferrari stay in F1 or not. F1 is dying little by little. I know you McLaren/Brawn/Williams supporters don't like Ferrari, - I wonder whay you still like McLaren,though - but without this team, the most prestigious team that is in F1, the loss in image would be inimaginable and the loss in the public watching this circus would be huge. I feel it has not be the same since MS retired, imagine without Ferrari.

Sure, McLaren fans may be watching their team battling against who? Force India?Renault? Williams? BMW? Who cares? All these teams are in their way out.

You can't compare McLaren to Ferrari. They are two totally definetly teams.
However, I would love it to see Ferrari getting out. And after all, if the standard engine issue will be implemented I see no reason why any engine maker team-except for the British teams obviously - should stay in F1. Hopefully you'll see your question answered pretty soon.

If Ferrari leaves the Formula One, I do not think that the Formula One is dying little by little. Today Ferrari would be nothing without Formula One. Ferrari is the most known manufacturer for sports cars in the world. But there's always Maserati and Lamborghini and so on, but Ferrari knows everybody. Because of the Formula One.

mstillhere
28th April 2009, 20:10
Today Ferrari would be nothing without Formula One. Ferrari is the most known manufacturer for sports cars in the world. But there's always Maserati and Lamborghini and so on, but Ferrari knows everybody. Because of the Formula One.

I respectly disagree

PS Maserati is Ferrari

leopard
29th April 2009, 03:48
I suggest Ferrari to stay competing F1 as long as they are not banned ...

Valve Bounce
29th April 2009, 04:07
If Ferrari leaves the Formula One, I do not think that the Formula One is dying little by little. Today Ferrari would be nothing without Formula One. Ferrari is the most known manufacturer for sports cars in the world. But there's always Maserati and Lamborghini and so on, but Ferrari knows everybody. Because of the Formula One.

There are many successful exclusive sports car manufacturers who are not in F1, so your argument does not hold any water. If Ferrari left F1, the only consequence will be the heartbreak of zillions of Tifosi, and the loss to the most ardent of F1 fans, whether they support Ferrari or another team.

Personally, if Ferrari left F1, I don't believe it would affect the sales of their cars one little bit. A Ferrari car is a Ferrari car - Period!! People like myself just stand back and wish!! :(

555-04Q2
29th April 2009, 06:45

If Ferrari leave F1, I will start watching...Lord please forgive me this outburst...NASCAR.

Garry Walker
29th April 2009, 11:02
Hilarious! Ferrari should hire you as a marketing consultant.

Brilliant!

leopard
29th April 2009, 11:06
If Ferrari leave F1, I will start watching...Lord please forgive me this outburst...NASCAR.
Actually you can start watching Nascar while Ferrari is still in F1 :)

555-04Q2
29th April 2009, 11:16
Actually you can start watching Nascar while Ferrari is still in F1 :)

Actually, I do watch some of the NASCAR races on our ESPN satellite channel 230. Thing is though, I get bored after the second lap of an oval circuit :p :

Sonic
29th April 2009, 13:08
Hilarious! Ferrari should hire you as a marketing consultant.

Actually I work for the marketing department of Shell fuels...……see that dial on your dash. When it points at red you need some fuel. Job done. Bosh! :D :p :

Rollo
29th April 2009, 14:16
There are many successful exclusive sports car manufacturers who are not in F1, so your argument does not hold any water.

Ferrari is not a sports car manufacturer but a racing team.

If Ferrari left F1, the only consequence will be the heartbreak of zillions of Tifosi, and the loss to the most ardent of F1 fans, whether they support Ferrari or another team.

If Ferrari left F1, then instantly its very reason for existance is negated, because as far as I'm aware they do not compete anywhere else. If Ferrari left motorsport period, then they become as useful as Force India currently is... pointless.
Even when Ferrari spent 20 years in the wilderness, they were still Ferrari; for Ferrari to leave F1 is to rip the very heart and soul of it.

D28
29th April 2009, 15:00
If Ferrari left F1, then instantly its very reason for existance is negated, because as far as I'm aware they do not compete anywhere else. If Ferrari left motorsport period, then they become as useful as Force India currently is... pointless.
Even when Ferrari spent 20 years in the wilderness, they were still Ferrari; for Ferrari to leave F1 is to rip the very heart and soul of it.
I don't agree that Ferrari ever spent 20 years in the wilderness. The team won back-to-back Constructors Championships in 82-83, and repeated this title in 1999. This their longest drought would be 16 years.