PDA

View Full Version : Braitore - FOTA wants KERS ban

25th April 2009, 13:49
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74793

Doesn't sound like an 'arse' to me.

(Apologies to Flavio for the spelling!)

Andrewmcm
25th April 2009, 13:54
Not sure what Flavio's point is here. Anyone with reasonably long memories will remember some teams running with semi-automatic gearboxes, some not. Some teams had active suspension, some didn't. Some teams ran turbos, some didn't.

Isn't that what F1 is all about? Teams getting a technological edge as well as an edge due to the clown sitting at the steering wheel? If everyone should have roughly the same car then perhaps he should run a GP2 or IRL team.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2009, 14:05
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74793

Doesn't sound like an 'arse' to me.
On this occasion Briatore is spot on IMHO. He's right that "We understood immediately that KERS was a money-sucking genius and the FIA should have taken note of that...Having failed to do that has forced on us expenses that are crazy as much as useless".

Unfortunately, on the insistence of the FIA, $m's has now been spent developing KERS by a majority of teams and so FOTA's attempts to see it gone next year is likely to be an uphill battle.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2009, 14:20
Isn't that what F1 is all about? Teams getting a technological edge as well as an edge due to the clown sitting at the steering wheel? If everyone should have roughly the same car then perhaps he should run a GP2 or IRL team.
The thing with KERS is if everyone has it then we're back to square one, having spent $m's. It's not as if teams can develop the technology so that their version gives their car more power for longer than anyone else.

It's only making a difference now because some have it and some don't.

Andrewmcm
25th April 2009, 14:41
The thing with KERS is if everyone has it then we're back to square one, having spent $m's. It's not as if teams can develop the technology so that their version gives their car more power for longer than anyone else.

You can use that argument for ground effect, active suspension, diffusers, turbo engines, mass dampers, McLaren's 3rd pedal system, 4-wheel steering, any part of car research and development. All the bits and bobs I've listed are only an advantage if someone has it and everyone else doesn't (or someone's system is better than everyone else's). That's F1. For a given set of rules there is an optimal design for the car, and it's up to the teams to work out what that is.

veeten
25th April 2009, 14:43
the problem with KERS is that it is, literally, 'horses for courses'.

It works well on one track, and is a total dog on others. Playing 'pick and choose' with this system during a season can become very costly, and in a time where cost-cutting may result in both new teams entering next season and being saddled with a 'budget-buster' of an add-on, this makes no sense.

I said that KERS was nothing but a fop to the 'Greenies', a means of making F1 look eco-friendly. It's what happens when an orgainzation spends too much time playing to the gallery instead of concentrating on the fundimentals.

'Stopped clock' theory, sure, but Flav's right on this one.

UltimateDanGTR
25th April 2009, 15:52
I just say they should have a push to pass button. for 6 seconds or whatever they get a horsepower boost. they get to use this 10 times during a race, maximum one time in a lap, and can only use it twice during qualifying. (unlimited for practice)

sounds simular to kers, and its a bit like what they have in FP Audi, but its just more logical and ofcourse weight issues etc should be less of a problem

gloomyDAY
25th April 2009, 15:57
Just ban this whole mess altogether. Briatore is right (wow, felt a little queasy).

Too reminiscent of A1GP! F1: no gimmicks, just racing.

cosmicpanda
25th April 2009, 16:07
I disagree with Flavio here. I like the fact that all of the cars are different.

Roamy
25th April 2009, 16:53
dump the kers right along with auto gearboxes. Then dump Mosely

V12
25th April 2009, 23:52
I disagree with Flavio too, the fact that teams have basically split four ways (KERS/no KERS) x (DDDiffuser/Normal diffuser) has played its part in shaking up the grid this year. But of course they'd probably rather do it by drawing lots for the starting grid and setting off in GP2 cars or something :rolleyes:

As far as KERS goes it was a nice idea with a horrible coined name and even worse execution. Why the time-per-lap limit on usage and why does it have to be in the form of a dressed-up "push to pass button"? They should have just specified a maximum storage capacity, and then allowed the teams to do whatever the hell they wanted with it, rather than nannying them through like this.

jjanicke
26th April 2009, 00:18
the problem with KERS is that it is, literally, 'horses for courses'.

It works well on one track, and is a total dog on others. Playing 'pick and choose' with this system during a season can become very costly, and in a time where cost-cutting may result in both new teams entering next season and being saddled with a 'budget-buster' of an add-on, this makes no sense.

I said that KERS was nothing but a fop to the 'Greenies', a means of making F1 look eco-friendly. It's what happens when an orgainzation spends too much time playing to the gallery instead of concentrating on the fundimentals.

'Stopped clock' theory, sure, but Flav's right on this one.

How does that differ from body work differences from track to track to accommodate cooling requirements. Differing front and rear wings based on what event they are at.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's an interesting concept and if allowed could become an integral part in building a world championship winning car. As Andrewmcm already points out, this is what F1 is all about.

BDunnell
26th April 2009, 00:38
I hate to be a dullard, but I can see both sides of the argument here. I find it rather sad because I very much doubt it will have any tangible effect on road cars in the foreseeable future, and as someone who is not overly concerned about F1 being a technological exercise, while not wishing for it to be a 'spec' formula, KERS creates a dilemma that, as an enthusiast, I would rather not have. Should it create a two-class formula?

jjanicke
26th April 2009, 00:52
In that case it would be a 2 class formula by choice, not rules. I don't see a problem with that. It happens all the time, but isn't as apparent as a missing KERS.

Tire ovens, double decker difusers, wheel fairings, flexing floors... Almost every team has had some developmental advantage at some point or another.

BDunnell
26th April 2009, 00:55
In that case it would be a 2 class formula by choice, not rules. I don't see a problem with that. It happens all the time, but isn't as apparent as a missing KERS.

Tire ovens, double decker difusers, wheel fairings, flexing floors... Almost every team has had some developmental advantage at some point or anotherm

Indeed. This is why, as someone who simply wishes to see enjoyable, close racing without caring who comes out on top, and without viewing F1 as a technological exercise while still not wishing it to be a spec formula, I find myself in a dilemma over KERS.

aryan
26th April 2009, 03:15

The thing is, that not everyone will run it.

KERS is like any other engineering solution: a compromise. Some teams, such as Force India which bought the Mercedes engine and gearbox and KERS, can run KERS if they want to but have chosen not to, because it negatively affects their car.

It's good to have a mix of teams running with and without it. It shows that designers differ on how to get the maximum performance from a car. And some designs work better on some tracks, while others work better in others. This is exactly why this year's F1 is interesting and we can see different teams at the top in on different weeks. This is fantastic. And KERS is one of the reasons why this year is turning out to be so awesome.

aryan
26th April 2009, 03:19
I can imagine the embarrassment for the viewers. And besides that, we must all get back on the same footing: today in F1 there are some racing with KERS and some without, some with the super diffuser and some without. That's not good."

That is good.

This shows that even though Flav has been in this business for nearly 2 decades now, he still doesn't understand F1 fans. F1 viewers are much more sophisticated than he thinks. We are not embarrassed that some teams have KERS and some don't; that some teams have DD diffusers and some don't. We understand that F1 is not a spec series. And we want it to stay the same, while understanding that costs need to come down.