PDA

View Full Version : World Snooker Championship

EuroTroll
25th April 2009, 11:21
It's that time of the year again! ;)

My favourite player Stephen Hendry has become the first through to the quarters. :up: Ronnie is playing Mark Allen now, and just had a reasonable chance for a 147. Didn't make it though, as he missed a black left-handed.

I hope Neil Robertson does well. :up:

And I wonder if Shaun Murphy's wife will really serve him the divorce papers during a match, as she threatened. :laugh:

EuroTroll
25th April 2009, 14:58
And Ronnie is out! :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2009, 15:31
I remember the good ole days when Cliff Thorburn was a force in snooker.....us Canadians only knew of him when it was reported he won, or he showed up in the odd commerical.

Alas, snooker just doesn't get much play over here, nor darts, where John Part ("Darth Maple") of my hometown has won the world championships twice and is a star in the UK. Then he comes back here and is just another guy.....unless you find him in a pub and play him for money, then you find out in a hurry!!!

Andrewmcm
25th April 2009, 18:00
Ronnie didn't play too well today - it looks like he's in one of his "out of love with the game" phases. He will walk away from the game one day and snooker will be all the poorer for it.

Darth Maple is ace - I watch him every week on the Premier League Darts on Sky. I guess he's not well known in Canada as he isn't batting the darts at the board with a hockey stick!

CaptainRaiden
25th April 2009, 18:45
It would be a wonderful story if Hendry could do a comeback championship win after 10 years? Dunno how long has it been since his last world championship.

Although it looks kinda unlikely, as he had some clumsy moments against Ding. I'd have to say that with Ebdon and Ronnie out, Ryan Day suddenly looks like a very possible threat. But time will tell.

BDunnell
26th April 2009, 00:29
I've been in Sheffield this week and seen some of it at the Crucible. Long may it stay here! I am biased, as I love the city, but moving the championships anywhere else would be a travesty.

O'Sullivan looked poor in his first session against Allen, and I'm not surprised he's gone out. Maguire was much more impressive against Burnett, but will the spectre of the police investigation into their last meeting have any effect on his further progress? He looked very impressive on Thursday evening. It certainly appears to be a very open affair with Ding being knocked out.

EuroTroll
26th April 2009, 01:01
I've been in Sheffield this week and seen some of it at the Crucible. Long may it stay here! I am biased, as I love the city, but moving the championships anywhere else would be a travesty.

Wow, that's really cool! :cool: I hope I can do that too, some day.

Last year a Eurosport commentator mentioned something about the World Champs possibly being moved to China. :eek: That really would be a travesty.

I wonder what the plans are now..? And why is moving it away from Sheffield even being considered?

BDunnell
26th April 2009, 01:10
Wow, that's really cool! :cool: I hope I can do that too, some day.

Last year a Eurosport commentator mentioned something about the World Champs possibly being moved to China. :eek: That really would be a travesty.

I wonder what the plans are now..? And why is moving it away from Sheffield even being considered?

Money, potential viewing figures in other areas, etc. And comments by certain players (in my view, not those whose opinions are as balanced as they might be) that the game is somehow boring have fuelled the fire.

Dave B
26th April 2009, 08:11
Snooker seems determined to go down the same road as cricket, with "20/20" style matches to spice up the action. This may be an idea once in a while, but if it became the norm it would totally destroy the game as we know it.

As an aside, I'm just watching some classic frames on the Red Button and it's astonishing to see players clutching their packets of fags and - heaven forbid - smoking during a studio interview!

BDunnell
26th April 2009, 22:29
Snooker seems determined to go down the same road as cricket, with "20/20" style matches to spice up the action. This may be an idea once in a while, but if it became the norm it would totally destroy the game as we know it.

I agree. Some sports are just long, and people ought to be able to live with it. If attention spans are now so tiny that this isn't possible, we have a massive problem.

EuroTroll
26th April 2009, 23:13
I agree. Some sports are just long, and people ought to be able to live with it. If attention spans are now so tiny that this isn't possible, we have a massive problem.

Indeed!

Donney
27th April 2009, 08:22
I like snooker the way it is now, although I'm not an expert I reckon you don't watch snooker expecting it to be fast.

stevie_gerrard
27th April 2009, 11:19
I used to enjoy watching all the crucible action from the world snooker championship. This year however, there doesn't seem to be a lot of terrestial coverage compared to previous years (its all on the red button, and i havent reached the digital age yet :p : ) I'm reduced to watching highlights late at night and then getting up early in a morning for work.

Although, i did read about the longest frame on record yesterday in the Maguire match. I remember watching the previous record (Ebdon vs Dott) in the final and finding it utterly tedious. Therefore, i'm quite glad i missed it :p :

Mark in Oshawa
27th April 2009, 22:52

I think tho if the sport is long and almost tedious to all but those people intimately acquainted with the sport, then you will never get the tv attention and sponsorship attention that sport needs to raise above the level of just an interesting sideline.

I have watched snooker on TV before and find it interesting, but I suspect it is often edited and I don't know if I would sit there for 5 hours watching a match. Show me a condensed show of 2 hours and I think I am going to try to learn more.

Dave B
28th April 2009, 17:03

Good news: the Crucible's deal has been extended until 2014 :D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8022313.stm

EuroTroll
28th April 2009, 17:13
Good news: the Crucible's deal has been extended until 2014 :D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8022313.stm

Yes, that's all very well, but the main point of the article, surely, is that Hendry made a 147 today!! :cool: Which I didn't see! :(

Oh well, maybe later! :)

BDunnell
28th April 2009, 19:52
I think tho if the sport is long and almost tedious to all but those people intimately acquainted with the sport, then you will never get the tv attention and sponsorship attention that sport needs to raise above the level of just an interesting sideline.

I have watched snooker on TV before and find it interesting, but I suspect it is often edited and I don't know if I would sit there for 5 hours watching a match. Show me a condensed show of 2 hours and I think I am going to try to learn more.

Viewing figures have generally remained healthy, as far as I know. And of course the 1985 World Championship final went on for ages and ages into the early hours, yet notched up massive numbers of viewers! The drama can still drag people in.

Great news about Sheffield, of course.

CaptainRaiden
29th April 2009, 00:57
I'm sure you guys have seen it by now, but what the hell, I'll post it anyway.

MAszIEdIlSk

I hope Hendry wins this one.

EuroTroll
30th April 2009, 14:52
Good stuff on the tables yesterday! :up:

Saw three things I've never seen before in snooker. :eek:
1) A ref refusing to clean a ball when a player (Selby) asks for it.
2) A snooker player (Higgins) letting out a loud yell of frustration.
3) The deciding frame having two re-frames (Selby-Higgins).

Sad to see Hendry knocked out, of course. :( But my second-favourite player, one Mr. Robertson is still in the chase! :up:

Why, by the way, is it thought necessary for the top snooker players to have those ridiculous nick-names?? "The Jester from Leicester", for example. :grenade:

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 14:58
Saw three things I've never seen before in snooker. :eek:
1) A ref refusing to clean a ball when a player (Selby) asks for it.

Bugger, I missed that! Why?

Why, by the way, is it thought necessary for the top snooker players to have those ridiculous nick-names?? "The Jester from Leicester", for example. :grenade:

They are wonderful, aren't they? My favourite is the otherwise forgettable Stephen Lee's less-than-catchy nickname: 'The Man with the Rolls-Royce Cue Action'.

EuroTroll
30th April 2009, 15:13
Bugger, I missed that! Why?

Hard to say. :s The commentators (on Eurosport), while being flabbergasted, thought it might have been because the ref didn't want to take the risk of giving Selby an unfair advantage. Selby was somewhat snookered, and the ref might have thought that after cleaning the ball (Selby had asked for a red to be cleaned), he might place it a slightly more advantageuos position for Selby. :s

But then, isn't that why they have the whatyoumightcallit (the thingy that they place on the table while cleaning balls, to ensure they put the ball back in the same position)?

Seemed like a bit of brain-fade on the ref's part..

Wim_Impreza
30th April 2009, 15:22
Great to see Hendry had a 147, he is only the 6th different player in the history of the Crucible that does this.

I hope Selby will win the World Championship, he is my favourite player.

EuroTroll
30th April 2009, 15:26
I hope Selby will win the World Championship, he is my favourite player.

Selby is out. ;) Lost to Higgins 12-13 yesterday.

EuroTroll
30th April 2009, 15:37
Great to see Hendry had a 147, he is only the 6th different player in the history of the Crucible that does this.

Not sure you're right about that...

From the 'net, I gather that Crucible 147s have been:
1) Cliff Thorburn, 1983
2) Jimmy White, 1992
3) Stephen Hendry, 1995
4) Ronnie O'Sullivan, 1997
5) Ronnie O'Sullivan, 2003
6) Mark Williams, 2005
7) Ronnie O'Sullivan, 2008
8) Ali Carter, 2008
9) Stephen Hendry, 2009

So there are indeed six different players who have done this, but in Hendry's first time (in 1995), he was in fact the 3rd player to do it. :)

Wim_Impreza
30th April 2009, 16:31
Selby is out. ;) Lost to Higgins 12-13 yesterday.

That is a pity, I couldn't watch the last part of their frames. Thanks for the news.

EuroTroll
30th April 2009, 16:34
That is a real pity. :(

Know how you feel, mate. ;) I was really hoping for Hendry to get another one. Still do, of course, in the next years. But the likelihood of that does diminish every year, doesn't it..

Selby, though, is only 25. ;)

EuroTroll
1st May 2009, 10:32
Watching Higgins-Allen now, Higgins is very impressive! :up: It's 8-2 now (best of 33), and it looks like Allen is being outclassed..

Murphy-Robertson is tied at 4-4 after last night. Really hope Robertson can pull something special out of the bag, as Murphy must surely be the favourite.. The favourite, but after last night I'd say not a very sporting man. :down:

BDunnell
2nd May 2009, 00:58
Watching Higgins-Allen now, Higgins is very impressive! :up: It's 8-2 now (best of 33), and it looks like Allen is being outclassed..

Well, he was good in the final session tonight. Can he repeat that form tomorrow? I can't see him denying Higgins the two frames he needs.

Murphy-Robertson is tied at 4-4 after last night. Really hope Robertson can pull something special out of the bag, as Murphy must surely be the favourite.. The favourite, but after last night I'd say not a very sporting man. :down:

I missed that and haven't seen/heard any reference to it. What happened that was unsportsmanlike?

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 09:50
I missed that and haven't seen/heard any reference to it. What happened that was unsportsmanlike?

Robertson had left his cue extension in the dressing room, and realized that in the middle of the frame, when he needed it. The referee asked Murphy if it was OK with him if Robertson went back and got it. Murphy said it wasn't..

He was within his rights to say "no", of course. Just thought it was unnecessarily dickish.

But no matter, since the extension was retrieved (by Jan Verhaas, who was the stand-by ref) and Robertson won that frame.

BDunnell
2nd May 2009, 10:57
Robertson had left his cue extension in the dressing room, and realized that in the middle of the frame, when he needed it. The referee asked Murphy if it was OK with him if Robertson went back and got it. Murphy said it wasn't..

He was within his rights to say "no", of course. Just thought it was unnecessarily dickish.

But no matter, since the extension was retrieved (by Jan Verhaas, who was the stand-by ref) and Robertson won that frame.

Blimey, I've never heard of that happening before. At least it didn't affect Robertson unduly. Must say I hope he beats Murphy. I'd like there to be someone different in a major final.

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 12:36
Blimey, I've never heard of that happening before. At least it didn't affect Robertson unduly. Must say I hope he beats Murphy. I'd like there to be someone different in a major final.

Looks like it ain't gonna happen, unfortunately. Never seen Robertson play so badly as this morning. :eek:

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 15:15
Well, 10-14 now, so I guess there's still a chance...

Something I've never understood: why is the WC final always played over Sunday and Monday? Why don't they start the tournament one day earlier, so that far more people could see the conclusion?

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd May 2009, 18:45
Well, 10-14 now, so I guess there's still a chance...

Something I've never understood: why is the WC final always played over Sunday and Monday? Why don't they start the tournament one day earlier, so that far more people could see the conclusion?

I think it always ends on May day. Which is a bank holiday in the UK

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 19:36
I think it always ends on May day. Which is a bank holiday in the UK

May Day is May 1st, isn't it? This year it'll end on May 4th.

And I'm pretty sure it's finished on a Monday every year I've been following it..

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 19:40

And I'm pretty sure it's finished on a Monday every year I've been following it..

Ah, I see. The first Monday in May is indeed a bank holiday in Britain..

Well, it's not elsewhere, don't you know! :hmph: ;)

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 20:19
Wow, what a come-back by Robertson! :up: Six frames in succession, 13-14 now! :up: Despite his best efforts to lose the 27th frame. :laugh:

Go Neil!!

------

28th frame, and Murphy couldn't hit water from a boat right now, and Robertson is suffering from serious judgement problems. :s What a weird match!

BDunnell
2nd May 2009, 20:31
Just got in from the pub and I agree it's a very weird one! However, most interesting. I'll be glued to it for as long as it lasts/I stay awake.

ozrevhead
2nd May 2009, 21:47
16-14 to the Britt now

He shows bad sportsmanship and he still going to win - what are the sporting gods thinking!

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 22:00
God helps those who help themselves. ;) Robertson had his chances, and put up a great fight. :up: But unfortunately for him, it was Murphy's twin brother - the one that's one of the best in the world - that came to play him after the interval. :p : ;)

As much as I like Neil, I'd say he doesn't quite have the game (yet) to... you know. Too inconsistent...

EuroTroll
3rd May 2009, 19:58
So, the score is 4-4 in the final now. Looks good! ;)

Something else I've never understood. (Yes, I know there have been many of those.. :erm: ) Cues. Right? Each player, as far as I understand, has the one cue, with which they practice and play. Stephen Hendry bought a cue at age 14 and played with it until he was 34 (when it was broken, while being air-shifted). 20 years!

How can it be that the cues these players use do not become damaged or warped over time?? :s I mean, they're wood! And wooden items change over time!

BDunnell
3rd May 2009, 20:12
I must say, I don't know! Anyone?

3rd May 2009, 20:24
Depends on the type of wood they are made from. A cue made of a hardwood, such as maple/ebony etc, of very high quality, shouldn't deform because there simply isn't the forces put through it/applied to it to deform it. Likewise, atmospheric conditions won't play any part it in simply because the cue will be kept in a non-humid storage.

Heat, Humidity & Energy are what causes wood to deform. So long as the cue is made from a suitable wood, then it should last longer than the player.

3rd May 2009, 20:26
Oh, just in case anybody is wondering, I don't watch or even like snooker.

My dad was a Woodwork teacher, though.

BDunnell
3rd May 2009, 20:29
Thanks!

3rd May 2009, 20:30
Your welcome.

I did think twice about posting, though, since some people don't like it when I do.

BDunnell
3rd May 2009, 20:37
I think comments about wood are generally OK, in my experience. It's difficult to offend when talking about maple.

EuroTroll
3rd May 2009, 20:38
Your welcome.

I did think twice about posting, though, since some people don't like it when I do.

Depends on the thread and your ways in it, doesn't it.. :)

Thanks for posting here, though, mr. T. ;)

It's pretty amazing, though, I think, that Hendry won all his 7 world championships with the cue he bought at age 14 for £40, and then had great trouble adjusting to his new cue, when the old one was broken.

3rd May 2009, 20:43
It's pretty amazing, though, I think, that Hendry won all his 7 world championships with the cue he bought at age 14 for £40, and then had great trouble adjusting to his new cue, when the old one was broken.

Well, no two bits of wood are alike. Each cue will therefore be unique and have its own "feel".

Plus, I would hazard a guess, that pyschology plays a big part in it.

For example, I know I'm shyte at Snooker, and therefore I always am, no matter how expensive the cue I use.

Well, that and just being shyte, obviously.

3rd May 2009, 20:44
I think comments about wood are generally OK, in my experience. It's difficult to offend when talking about maple.

Try telling that to the "Ash Is Ace" society.

BDunnell
3rd May 2009, 21:30
Try telling that to the "Ash Is Ace" society.

Is their motto 'Don't speak ill of the dead wood'?

Apologies...

BDunnell
4th May 2009, 17:13
All slightly one-sided in the event, isn't it? Murphy could have won several of the last few frames but didn't. Higgins clearly deserves to win. But it looks like we're not going to get the dramatic late-night close finish that I always enjoy.

Garry Walker
4th May 2009, 17:43
All slightly one-sided in the event, isn't it? Murphy could have won several of the last few frames but didn't. Higgins clearly deserves to win. But it looks like we're not going to get the dramatic late-night close finish that I always enjoy.

Indeed. I was hoping for Higgins to win, but the last few frames I was supporting Murphy, because I want a close fight, this is getting rather boring.

Wim_Impreza
4th May 2009, 18:13

Since 1996, the World Snooker Championship has always been ended on a Monday. In 1995, they begun on a Friday and ended on a Sunday. ;)

BDunnell
4th May 2009, 18:26
Indeed. I was hoping for Higgins to win, but the last few frames I was supporting Murphy, because I want a close fight, this is getting rather boring.

My view exactly. I don't especially root for any player, but would rather each match was as close as possible.

BDunnell
4th May 2009, 20:16
And now it looks as if it could be wrapped up within an hour. What am I to do for the rest of the evening? There isn't even a Midsomer Murders on. Thanks, Shaun Murphy...

driveace
4th May 2009, 20:35
Its, been a bit one sided, I must admit.Probably Murphy,s problems are his seperation from his wife and his move to Manchester,from South yorkshire,but anyway Murphy won the 1000 frame of snooker that Higgins had played at the Crucible

BDunnell
4th May 2009, 20:37
Its, been a bit one sided, I must admit.Probably Murphy,s problems are his seperation from his wife and his move to Manchester,from South yorkshire,but anyway Murphy won the 1000 frame of snooker that Higgins had played at the Crucible

I hate to say it, but I couldn't help but laugh at the News of the World's description of Murphy yesterday as 'Chubby Christian cue-chalker...'

stevie_gerrard
5th May 2009, 11:00
Higgins has been brilliant throughout this championship, really shown his authority over everyone. A deserved champion :up:

EuroTroll
5th May 2009, 12:52
Yeah Jiggins was good throughout! :up: Excellent tournament overall, pity it's over!

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 16:40
Watching O'Sullivan vs Liang now and I'm a happy chappy! :s mokin:

Fingers crossed for Hendry, as usual. Scraped past the qualifier in the 1st round, but his play is bound to improve the further he gets. Would be amazing if he reached the last four once again.

driveace
19th April 2010, 19:43
This Scottish guy Marcus Campbell is giving Mark Williams a run for his money at 5-5

BDunnell
22nd April 2010, 22:46
Super performances so far by Steve Davis!

CarlMetro
22nd April 2010, 23:05
Absolutely superb display by Davis in his 30th year at The Crucible. I wonder what odds you would have got for Steve Davis to be 6-2 up on the reigning world champ after the first session?

EuroTroll
22nd April 2010, 23:15
Yeah, great to see. 95% pot success at one point says it all. :up:

BDunnell
22nd April 2010, 23:36
Still, I somehow doubt he'll be in the semi-final I'm going to see at the Crucible at the end of next week. Really looking forward to that!

CaptainRaiden
23rd April 2010, 09:30
I really hope Davis wins the championship this year. What a story would that be? So far he looks in supreme touch.

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 09:48
I really hope Davis wins the championship this year. What a story would that be? So far he looks in supreme touch.

That would be an incredible story. Really, incredible. But honestly I don't think he'll get past Higgins. He had an inspired session and "rolled back the years" as the commentators like to say, but can he do it again in the 2nd and 3rd sessions? I don't believe so. And Higgins will likely play far better from now on, because he was worse than his average in the 1st session.

CaptainRaiden
23rd April 2010, 16:44
That would be an incredible story. Really, incredible. But honestly I don't think he'll get past Higgins. He had an inspired session and "rolled back the years" as the commentators like to say, but can he do it again in the 2nd and 3rd sessions? I don't believe so. And Higgins will likely play far better from now on, because he was worse than his average in the 1st session.

8-4 in favor of Davis right now. :D Fingers crossed for him right until the final (if he makes it) for what would be something right out of an underdog movie.

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 21:43
Wonderful to watch Martin Gould, a player I'd never seen before. Surprise of the tournament, perhaps? He will be if he keeps this up.

BDunnell
23rd April 2010, 21:59
Wonderful to watch Martin Gould, a player I'd never seen before. Surprise of the tournament, perhaps? He will be if he keeps this up.

I don't wish to sound rude about him, but he doesn't really look that exciting a chap, does he?

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 23:26
I don't wish to sound rude about him, but he doesn't really look that exciting a chap, does he?

I quite like his accountant-like (or hitman-like?) precise manner around the table. :) It's different.

BDunnell
23rd April 2010, 23:45
I quite like his accountant-like (or hitman-like?) precise manner around the table. :) It's different.

To me, he looks like the sort of person whose face you might see on the local news after being convicted and placed on some sort of register. But that is an awful, appalling thing for me to say. And he played brilliantly this evening.

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 23:57
To me, he looks like the sort of person whose face you might see on the local news after being convicted and placed on some sort of register. But that is an awful, appalling thing for me to say. And he played brilliantly this evening.

:) Well, I also thought his body language suggested he's perhaps a rather anti-social animal.

I have a feeling you might see him live, though. If he beats Robertson, he's up against either Higgins or Davis in the quarters, and based on today's form...

BDunnell
24th April 2010, 00:27
:) Well, I also thought his body language suggested he's perhaps a rather anti-social animal.

I have a feeling you might see him live, though. If he beats Robertson, he's up against either Higgins or Davis in the quarters, and based on today's form...

I did wonder, but I'm not sure which section of the draw gets through to semi-final 1 or semi-final 2. My tickets are for semi-final 1. I think this means you're right.

BDunnell
24th April 2010, 00:28
By the way, I assume the organisers didn't give Davis much of a chance when they scheduled this — http://www.worldsnooker.com/news-139970.htm

BDunnell
24th April 2010, 13:36
Well I never! An utterly amazing shot by Davis effectively wins him the match. Quite incredible.

EuroTroll
24th April 2010, 14:57
Amazing. :up:

BDunnell
24th April 2010, 18:36
And now Robertson has overcome Gould in an excellent comeback to set up a quarter-final against Davis. What a tournament this is turning into.

EuroTroll
26th April 2010, 15:52
Sad to see Hendry struggle so.

On the other hand, it's great to watch O'Sullivan vs Williams. The quasi-final, maybe.

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 12:04
On the other hand, it's great to watch O'Sullivan vs Williams. The quasi-final, maybe.

I've got to stop making predictions. :laugh:

Hope you're having a great time, Ben.

BDunnell
1st May 2010, 00:42
Hope you're having a great time, Ben.

Danke. The start of Robertson-Carter was one-sided but entertaining. However, I might only see two frames tomorrow! Hope Carter can do something — I really don't mind who wins, but want to get my money's worth.

driveace
1st May 2010, 22:50
Well done to Niel Robertson,getting through to the final,he has had a really tough life by the sound of things ,and I FIND HIM differant,I also hope that the little Scottish guy,who's name has deserted me gets through also to the final,as that will be interesting

EuroTroll
2nd May 2010, 11:49
Wow. A sad day for snooker. I feel sorry for the finalists.

CaptainRaiden
3rd May 2010, 12:33
Wow. A sad day for snooker. I feel sorry for the finalists.

Why, what happened?

EuroTroll
3rd May 2010, 16:12
Why, what happened?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8656905.stm

Video (http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/video/?videoId=2160_801939&videoChannel=NOTW:News)

EuroTroll
3rd May 2010, 16:30
On the other hand, the final has been very enjoyable so far. :up:

BDunnell
3rd May 2010, 22:40
I'm finding the final OK, nothing more. Bit of an anti-climax after some great matches during the rest of the tournament.

Valve Bounce
4th May 2010, 04:30
The Aussi won. Interesting that he didn't even have enough money to buy a waistcoat and had to borrow one.

EuroTroll
4th May 2010, 14:25
Not the highest quality snooker in the final, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad Robertson won.

CarlMetro
4th May 2010, 16:19
I can honestly say this is the first time I can remember that I didn't bother to watch any of the last session of the final.

I thought the play was mediocre at best, neither player had any real flair and, compared to some of the matches during the tournament, it was very much an anti-climax.

BDunnell
9th May 2010, 21:58
I can honestly say this is the first time I can remember that I didn't bother to watch any of the last session of the final.

I thought the play was mediocre at best, neither player had any real flair and, compared to some of the matches during the tournament, it was very much an anti-climax.

I agree. I did watch until the end, but only because I was up late writing. Dull, dull, dull. A real shame after some of the earlier heroics in the championship.

EuroTroll
6th April 2012, 19:28
Perhaps it's time to bump this, so as not to clutter race's golf thread with snooker talk. :uhoh:

Not far away now, the Snooker World Championship in Sheffield. :up:

How much interest have we got? :cool:

I love watching snooker, me. I discovered it many years ago while desperately waiting for rally broadcasts on Eurosport. They always seemed to have snooker on before, and going on forever and ever.. I was compelled to watch it, and fell in love with it. :up:

BDunnell
6th April 2012, 19:59
Huge interest from me! I now go to the German Masters and the World Championship every year, and love every minute.

Been an odd season this year. No-one's been really dominant, you wouldn't really know Mark Selby was world number one from most of his performances, and the likes of Stephen Lee, about whom it was easy to forget, coming back to form. There are so many potential Crucible winners this year.

EuroTroll
7th April 2012, 11:21
I've never seen snooker on location, but one day! :cool:

Of course, with the matches twice as long as on regular tour, it's almost like a different version of the sport at the Crucible. I have a feeling we'll see the usual suspects do well. O'Sullivan, Higgins, Williams... And of course Judd Trump who is a young player of real class.

7th April 2012, 18:36
agreehttp://www.camcorderdcr.com

7th April 2012, 18:38
-bump-http://www.camcorderdcr.com

BDunnell
9th April 2012, 15:01
You're right about the longer matches making a difference. Can't see O'Sullivan doing much at the Crucible, personally, though if he's in the right frame of mind, is over his bout of glandular fever and finds the moon and stars in the correct alignment, who knows?

EuroTroll
9th April 2012, 16:19
You're right about the longer matches making a difference. Can't see O'Sullivan doing much at the Crucible, personally, though if he's in the right frame of mind, is over his bout of glandular fever and finds the moon and stars in the correct alignment, who knows?

Who knows, indeed. He's such an unpredictable man.

The qualifiers have already begun, though. :cool: So many famous players there. Hendry, Davis, Day, Doherty, Ebdon, etc., etc.

BDunnell
9th April 2012, 16:38
Who knows, indeed. He's such an unpredictable man.

The qualifiers have already begun, though. :cool: So many famous players there. Hendry, Davis, Day, Doherty, Ebdon, etc., etc.

Yes, and once I've finished editing the next issue of the magazine I work on for my day job, I hope to get to go along to see some of the qualifiers too.

EuroTroll
9th April 2012, 16:41
Yes, and once I've finished editing the next issue of the magazine I work on for my day job, I hope to get to go along to see some of the qualifiers too.

They seem well worth it! :up:

BDunnell
9th April 2012, 16:44
Should be. I expect the tickets are a bit cheaper.

Your forum name change confused me for a moment!

EuroTroll
9th April 2012, 17:01
Should be. I expect the tickets are a bit cheaper.

Your forum name change confused me for a moment!

Yeah. :cheese: I just thought, since I haven't been a student for 8 years now, the name "studiose" is no longer appropriate. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
9th April 2012, 23:46
I was a massive fan a few years ago but I haven't had the time to follow the snooker recently. I usuallt watch the final of the tournaments shown on BBC though.

Last summer I played snooker a few times every week. I was getting good enough to regularly get 5 or 6 ball breaks. But you really lose it when you stop practicing.

EuroTroll
10th April 2012, 08:13
Last summer I played snooker a few times every week. I was getting good enough to regularly get 5 or 6 ball breaks. But you really lose it when you stop practicing.

That's quite good! I've played a couple of times, but getting two successive pots was a challenge. :) Makes one appreciate the skill of professionals even more, though. And I'm much better off sticking to pool while slightly inebriated. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
10th April 2012, 11:47
That's quite good! I've played a couple of times, but getting two successive pots was a challenge. :) Makes one appreciate the skill of professionals even more, though. And I'm much better off sticking to pool while slightly inebriated. :)

I think the real skill in snooker is controlling the cue-ball. If the white ball is in a good position then 9/10 times I will pot the next shot, but the white will fly off down the other end of the table :laugh:

Eki
10th April 2012, 13:49
I haven't been a student for 8 years now
But you'll always be wiruwiru.

Why not wiruwalge? Trademark issues?

BTW, did yoy know that Viru Viru is an international airport in Bolivia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viru_Viru_International_Airport

And that wiru are a people in Papua New Guinea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiru_people

EuroTroll
10th April 2012, 14:11
I think the real skill in snooker is controlling the cue-ball. If the white ball is in a good position then 9/10 times I will pot the next shot, but the white will fly off down the other end of the table :laugh:

I guess that's where all the varieties of spin come into play, and of course touch and judgement. It is a very difficult game, but I'm sure very rewarding once you notice you're getting better.

EuroTroll
10th April 2012, 14:17
Why not wiruwalge? Trademark issues?

I'd rather not come across as an alcoholic. :laugh: (For those not in the know, Viru Valge is a brand of vodka in Estonia.)

No, I did not know about the Bolivian airport or the Papuan people. :up: I hope they don't mind... :uhoh: :)

EuroTroll
11th April 2012, 09:56
Hardly a surprise, but perhaps it's worth mentioning that old-timers Tony Drago and John Parrott are out, losing in round 3 and round 1 of the qualifiers, respectively.

I thought the young Pole Kacper Filipiak would do more, but he lost in round 2.

BDunnell
11th April 2012, 13:16
Hardly a surprise, but perhaps it's worth mentioning that old-timers Tony Drago and John Parrott are out, losing in round 3 and round 1 of the qualifiers, respectively.

I thought the young Pole Kacper Filipiak would do more, but he lost in round 2.

None of the much-touted young players — Filipiak, Luca Brecel, etc — seem really to be making much headway in tournaments. I had expected we would have seen more of them by now.

By the way, your mentions of Drago and Parrott remind me that there are some super facts about players of the past on Wikipedia, the cause of much hilarity for me. Such as, about Alain Robidoux: 'Robidoux slid rapidly down the rankings following the 1997 season. He blamed his decline on the destruction of his favourite cue, which he referred to as "the Eel". The incident occurred after Robidoux returned the handmade cue to its maker – an elderly craftsman in Canada – for repairs. But when the cuemaker saw that the cue's butt had been adorned with the logo of Riley, a leading UK cue manufacturer, he took such grave offence he smashed the cue into pieces and sent the remains back to Robidoux. Several years later, Robidoux was asked whether the passage of time may have eased his anger towards the cue maker; "I want to kill him," was his heartfelt response.'

And this about Willie Thorne: 'He peaked at no. 7 in the rankings in the mid-1980s, while also battling a serious gambling problem. In one famous incident, Thorne bet £38,000 on a match involving John Parrott, betting that Parrott would lose as Parrott had lost his personal cue and had to use one supplied by the venue. Much to Thorne's dismay (not least because he was actually commentating on the match), Parrott recovered from a slow start to win, only worsening Thorne's debts.'

EuroTroll
12th April 2012, 14:57
Good stories! :up:

And in today's news, James Wattana and Steve Davis are out...

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 10:21
Well, I saw Luca Brecel playing Mark King yesterday in the qualifiers, and on occasion he was stunning. Not perfect, but the stand-out player of the two. However, going into today's final session of their match, he trails King. I'd far rather see Brecel go through, because who knows what he could do at the Crucible? With King, I think we'd have a pretty good idea.

Some of the other qualifying matches I saw (it's a multi-table set up in a badminton hall, the tables being in a row and each partitioned off) were soul-destroyingly mundane, I have to say. There was no way I was going to stay until almost midnight, as it turned out, to watch Ken Doherty and Anthony Hamilton going to a deciding frame. Doherty ended up winning that one, so returns to the Crucible. Of the rest, the only player who looked like they actually wanted to win their match was Jamie Jones, and he duly did so at a canter against Ricky Walden. The rest weren't exactly sparkling, but maybe the setting, with a very small audience, doesn't spur them on to anything more. Goodness knows what it's like for them playing at certain PTC events and others with no spectators in attendance, something criticised by certain players.

EuroTroll
15th April 2012, 11:49
Thanks! Always good to get first-hand impressions. I guess they can't all be corkers...

I have to confess I'd never heard of Luca Brecel before you mentioned him a few posts ago. Yes, I'd also rather see a promising youngster get through.

And I really hope Stephen Hendry doesn't falter at the last hurdle. I always like watching him, despite him not quite being what he was a few years ago.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 11:52
And I really hope Stephen Hendry doesn't falter at the last hurdle. I always like watching him, despite him not quite being what he was a few years ago.

Oh, I watched him playing yesterday too. That was another dull encounter, but I suppose a lot of these qualifiers, away from the excitement of the TV cameras, must be.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 18:11

And he didn't — he's through to the televised stages. Just. But both he and Doherty will have to up their games if they're to get any further than that. Both looked very pedestrian. Maybe being back on the 'big stage' will work the necessary wonders.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 18:33
And now Luca Brecel has gone through, beating Mark King! Now this is more exciting than the presence playing at the Crucible of Hendry and Doherty, surely.

EuroTroll
16th April 2012, 05:32
And now Luca Brecel has gone through, beating Mark King! Now this is more exciting than the presence playing at the Crucible of Hendry and Doherty, surely.

Hendry is just an old favourite of mine, so I can't help being partial to him. But certainly good news about Brecel! The youngest player in this year's tournament; I'm really looking forward to seeing him play for the first time.

EuroTroll
19th April 2012, 19:56
The draw has been published: World Snooker | News | News | Download The Draw (http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2204252,00.html)

Some interesting first round encounters: :cool:
Bingham v Hendry
Maguire v Brecel
O'Sullivan v Ebdon
Robertson v Doherty

EuroTroll
21st April 2012, 17:02
Hendry just made a beautiful maximum! :up: Loving it. :)

driveace
21st April 2012, 17:30
Mark Williams makes a statement that he hopes the championship is moved to China as Sheffield is a **** hole ,Barry Hearn says he hopes it stays in Sheffield for many years to come.Big fine coming up for Mr Williams !

EuroTroll
21st April 2012, 18:04
Mark Williams makes a statement that he hopes the championship is moved to China as Sheffield is a **** hole ,Barry Hearn says he hopes it stays in Sheffield for many years to come.Big fine coming up for Mr Williams !

Surely there is freedom of speech in the UK? :) I don't think he'll be fined.

BDunnell
21st April 2012, 18:38
Surely there is freedom of speech in the UK? :) I don't think he'll be fined.

It is getting ridiculous that players apparently can't voice opinions any longer. The trouble with Williams' in this case, though, is that it is complete b*******.

EuroTroll
22nd April 2012, 09:17
It is getting ridiculous that players apparently can't voice opinions any longer. The trouble with Williams' in this case, though, is that it is complete b*******.

Talking b******* is a fundamental right, though. :) I'll be very disappointed if he's reprimanded for this.

BDunnell
22nd April 2012, 18:11
This has been a superb championship so far, I must say. Almost every match has been either exciting, or contained some great quality, or both. Even unpromising ties like Martin Gould-Dave Gilbert have been thrilling.

EuroTroll
22nd April 2012, 21:23
T'was good to see Hendry scrape through today, after being brilliant yesterday. Hendry vs. Higgins. :cool:

Congrats to young Luca Brecel as well, for his first (of many, I'm sure) Crucible century. He's going to lose to Maguire, I'm sure, but the potential is there for all to see.

EuroTroll
22nd April 2012, 21:53
By the way, in case you missed Hendry's 147 -- here it is: :cool:

rgsGY0eE_8w

BDunnell
23rd April 2012, 10:20
Congrats to young Luca Brecel as well, for his first (of many, I'm sure) Crucible century. He's going to lose to Maguire, I'm sure, but the potential is there for all to see.

Wish he'd wear his bow tie more neatly, though.

BDunnell
23rd April 2012, 10:39
This Maguire-Brecel match has this morning turned into just about the scrappiest, worst-quality I've ever seen! Some of the misses have been ridiculous. Getting a bit silly in places.

EuroTroll
24th April 2012, 09:58
Day 2 and day 3 have indeed been a little disappointing, after the brilliant day 1. Very early days though, and I'm sure there's some brilliant stuff to come. :cool:

BDunnell
24th April 2012, 10:45
Day 2 and day 3 have indeed been a little disappointing, after the brilliant day 1. Very early days though, and I'm sure there's some brilliant stuff to come. :cool:

Oh, Jamie Jones' victory over Shaun Murphy yesterday was dramatic! Great match. Jones could be one to watch in this tournament if he settles down a bit more at the Crucible. I saw him in his final qualifying match and he was one of the only players to really look as though they wanted to win.

EuroTroll
25th April 2012, 20:17
Amazing to see Mark Selby play so poorly. :eek: 8-3 to Hawkins now.

EuroTroll
25th April 2012, 20:51
Well, Selby looked like just about ready to faint at the end of that... The neck pain must have been terrible.

Eight seeds are out at the end of the first round, though. :eek: A very open championship, indeed.

BDunnell
25th April 2012, 21:01
While Selby's injury can't be nice for him, that match of his against Hawkins was still a crashing bore — and I haven't been impressed by Selby since long before he hurt his neck. At the German Masters, he was on about the level we've seen yesterday and today.

Several dark horses are left alongside the more established names. As I said, Jamie Jones is one, and Cao Yupeng is another.

30th April 2012, 09:20
Hello to everybody on this pretty forum. Entitled me make known myself. I am doktor and i am event this site : diziler (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting after all these friends. Best regards

EuroTroll
30th April 2012, 15:37
Well, some great action in the last few days. I've really enjoyed Williams vs. O'Sullivan, and right now it seems like Trump vs. Carter might go all the way. :cool:

EuroTroll
30th April 2012, 16:56
What a dramatic final frame between Trump and Carter! :up: The best match so far, for me.

BDunnell
30th April 2012, 17:35
What a dramatic final frame between Trump and Carter! :up: The best match so far, for me.

Awesome. I have just got home from it. Out again soon to the evening session.

CaptainRaiden
1st May 2012, 21:21
Oh boy, what a one sided destruction of Hendry by Maguire. Painful to watch. :(

That said, some beautiful snooker by Maguire. :up:

BDunnell
2nd May 2012, 00:45
Oh boy, what a one sided destruction of Hendry by Maguire. Painful to watch. :(

And with that, it's announced tonight, Hendry retires.

Matthew Stevens also inflicted a one-sided destruction of Ryan Day this evening. Hard for Day to come back from that now.

CaptainRaiden
2nd May 2012, 09:55
And with that, it's announced tonight, Hendry retires.

Yep, read that this morning. Would have been amazing if he at least made it to the final in his retirement year, but nevertheless he bows out as the king of the crucible. Making a 147 and knocking out Higgins, not a bad career end by any means. :)

Matthew Stevens also inflicted a one-sided destruction of Ryan Day this evening. Hard for Day to come back from that now.

I agree. Don't see Day coming back. He's a solid player on his day, but not championship material IMO.

EuroTroll
3rd May 2012, 04:39
Yep, read that this morning. Would have been amazing if he at least made it to the final in his retirement year, but nevertheless he bows out as the king of the crucible. Making a 147 and knocking out Higgins, not a bad career end by any means. :)

Indeed so. It's great that he got a 147 in his last tournament, so that an amazing career can end on a happy note.

So now it's Carter vs Maguire and O'Sullivan vs Stevens. I'll be very surprised if Ronnie doesn't win it.

BDunnell
4th May 2012, 01:01
So now it's Carter vs Maguire and O'Sullivan vs Stevens. I'll be very surprised if Ronnie doesn't win it.

The first session of O'Sullivan/Stevens tonight was really dire. I barely made the pub before closing time.

BleAivano
5th May 2012, 21:57
The Rocket vs. The Captain in the final.

Me thinks the rocket will emerge as the champ

EuroTroll
6th May 2012, 09:04
I think O'Sullivan is the favourite too, but only just. I think the result might primarily come down to Carter's long pot success, since O'Sullivan probably won't take anything long on (if the semi-final is anything to go by).

I'm predicting 18-15 for Ronnie.

Can't wait! :cool:

EuroTroll
6th May 2012, 15:36
Cursed be Eurosport for showing god-knows-what when snooker is on! :devil: I'm having to follow the beginning of the final via blasted text messages on worldsnooker.com. :(

BleAivano
6th May 2012, 17:27
Ronnie shows his class in frame 7 and 8. Really great work by him.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th May 2012, 20:12
Does anyone else feel that Ronnie is cruising? Carter hasn't really made him get out of 2nd gear.

BleAivano
7th May 2012, 20:39
There we go Ronnie crossed the finish line as the 2012 champion.

BDunnell
8th May 2012, 01:37
Not a classic final, but O'Sullivan was brilliant all tournament long. Really enjoyed this World Championship.

EuroTroll
8th May 2012, 17:01
I'm really happy for Ronnie. And a very enjoyable tournament, indeed! :up:

jens
8th May 2012, 19:22
For the first time ever I actually followed snooker a bit during this championship. I think it was a good inspiration for myself to learn something from the masters, because I like to play billiards at times. :) Also the beauty of maths, geometry, precision and chessesque strategy is quite adorable after deepening into watching a game.

Overall I am wondering about the globalization of the game. Over the years many sports have seen wider and wider pool of competitors coming from all around the world. I notice an increasing Chinese presence in the championship. :p : What about others?

BDunnell
8th May 2012, 21:56
Overall I am wondering about the globalization of the game. Over the years many sports have seen wider and wider pool of competitors coming from all around the world. I notice an increasing Chinese presence in the championship. :p : What about others?

The rise of Chinese players and Chinese enthusiasm for the game is no flash in the pan, certainly. This is a long-term thing, and they are here to stay in snooker. I feel that in other countries it depends to some extent on whether they can develop really good players. In Germany, for example, there is real enthusiasm for snooker, and the German Masters tournament in Berlin is widely regarded as just about the best of the year, able to pack out a 2,500-seat venue for the final and with a great atmosphere (I know — I've been twice). However, relatively speaking, it remains quite a niche sport, certainly not big enough to achieve terrestrial TV coverage, and German players have achieved little. Can the current wave of support be sustained, I wonder?

Brown, Jon Brow
9th May 2012, 00:19
I know one man is never bigger than an entire sport but Ronnie O'Sullivan might be the exception to rule. I personally rate John Higgins as a more complete player but there can't be a greater sight in snooker than Ronnie clearing up. No other player does it with the same flair and fluidity. It's Ronnie who brings in the crowds.

BDunnell
9th May 2012, 00:35
I know one man is never bigger than an entire sport but Ronnie O'Sullivan might be the exception to rule. I personally rate John Higgins as a more complete player but there can't be a greater sight in snooker than Ronnie clearing up. No other player does it with the same flair and fluidity. It's Ronnie who brings in the crowds.

While I agree completely about the nature of O'Sullivan's play, I think the likes of Judd Trump and Jamie Jones are potentially going to be just as important in the crowd-pleasing department, so the sport shouldn't have anything to fear should O'Sullivan decide to quit before his time.

EuroTroll
9th May 2012, 08:35
While I agree completely about the nature of O'Sullivan's play, I think the likes of Judd Trump and Jamie Jones are potentially going to be just as important in the crowd-pleasing department, so the sport shouldn't have anything to fear should O'Sullivan decide to quit before his time.

I think O'Sullivan is a special case, though. There might be other players who can play like him at times, but noone can really be like him. It's his personality as much as his game that compels audiences.

BDunnell
9th May 2012, 18:31
I think O'Sullivan is a special case, though. There might be other players who can play like him at times, but noone can really be like him. It's his personality as much as his game that compels audiences.

What personality is that, exactly? If it's the one that's a bit depressive from time to time, of course there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it compels audiences at all.

10th May 2012, 07:48
And Ronnie is out! :eek:
I love Ronnie.hichic
He is a genius

EuroTroll
13th May 2012, 18:55
What personality is that, exactly? If it's the one that's a bit depressive from time to time, of course there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it compels audiences at all.

Well, to each their own, I guess. I for one am very compelled by a person with huge talent who cannot always make use of it because of mental difficulties. The inner struggle accompanied by sincerity and honesty about it -- there cannot be a more attractive combination, in my view. He is like a rock star who happens to be great at snooker, as Stephen Hendry said.

BleAivano
6th April 2014, 15:37
Big bump here with just a few weeks until it's that time of the year again.

Do you think Ronnie will take a triple this year? He has won the WCH the past two years and taking three in a row would get him to 6 titles
and thus make him equal with Steve Davis when it comes to the number of World Championship titles.

Ronnie also made another maximum break (his 12th) a month ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8imFvfn6Y

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 15:49
He must be favourite. Ronnie is unreal when he is on form and if he hits his peak no one beats him.

However as we know Ronnie can capitulate if he is not happy. So its a case of wait and see.

I remember the last 5 years was it, when he is constantly saying he will never play snooker again. :p

I fancy he will do it though.

BleAivano
23rd April 2014, 20:26
So far Ronnie and Robertson are the only top runners who have really impressed so far.
Lots of other seeded players have struggled to win or are even knocked out.

Higgins, Junhui, Maguire are all out. Selby, Carter and Murphy all need 19 frames to defeat their opponents.

D-Type
1st May 2014, 01:16
I was intrigued to see Barry Hawkins using the rest.

- He's a left handed player but when using the rest he uses his cue right handed.
- He holds the handle of the rest in the air. I was taught to always place the handle on the table and hold it there as it's steadier. But, he's the professional and what do I know?

D-Type
1st May 2014, 16:30
It must have been just that particular shot. Today he put the handle of the rest on the table. But he still used the cue with his right hand.

steveaki13
2nd May 2014, 21:14
Barry Hawkins showing some grit to win 3 frames of 4 in the afternoon session today. Was 10-2 down and despite Ronnie looking different class, Barry regrouped and got it to 11-5. Doesnt sound much but the way O'Sullivan was playing it looked like it would end 14-2.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th May 2014, 20:00
Who's watching the final?

O Sullivan was leading Selby 10-7 overnight, but Selby struck back to lead 12-11 going into tonights final session.

steveaki13
5th May 2014, 20:47
Yes. Such a good match, especially after being 2-10 down or whatever.

Ronnie just looks like his forms gone and Selby just keeps staying at the table which is 90% of the battle

D-Type
5th May 2014, 23:20
5-10 down was it? What a comeback!

steveaki13
5th May 2014, 23:21
Wow. Well done Mark Selby. Amazing performance and one of the best final comebacks ever maybe?

Brown, Jon Brow
5th May 2014, 23:55
Tactical but enjoyable.