PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Race (weekend) thread

SarahFan
22nd April 2009, 14:48
http://www.indycar.com/schedule/pdf/2009_kansas_schedule.pdf

racers will get only 1 to 1 1/2 hours of track time prior to qualifying.....not alot... does that play into the "big 2's" hands?

there is a front page article on Indy.com about Wheldon....going for his third win in a row... and he tested at Kansas last week (<maybe I need to rethink my picks)....

couple stories of the weekend for me.... Dixon needs some points... ... Coyne/wilson qualifying......will Will find a car for the weekend (<doesn't look likely as of yet, sucks!)

any other thoughts about this wekend out there?

and Dfan.... who gets the second step of the podium this weekend?

dataman1
22nd April 2009, 20:48
My guess is that those with the trick Aero pieces and the test time &/or previous race data at the track will do the best. That, to me, means those with the biggest budgets will do the best. Less about driving skill, more about the car's setup and how it slices through the air. So I would go with the big 3 teams if my money is on the line.

I also think Will should be in a car but he knew the deal so if he's okay with it so am I.

My picks are: Dixon, Helio and TK on the podium.

Long shots are: Weldon & RHR

underpowered
22nd April 2009, 23:10
http://www.indycar.com/schedule/pdf/2009_kansas_schedule.pdf
.will Will find a car for the weekend (<doesn't look likely as of yet, sucks!)

Imagine being second in the points and not having a ride... I feel sorry for Will.

SUBARUTEAM
23rd April 2009, 03:53
I agree - its bad luck indeed.
He drove well for the 1st two races of this year. lets hope he runs well at indy and wins some $$$s so that the capitan has to run him for the rest of the season.

DanicaFan
23rd April 2009, 05:12
Danica will get the pole and the win. 2nd place - Scott Dixon, 3rd - Tony Kanaan.

TURN3
23rd April 2009, 06:09
Danica will get the pole and the win. 2nd place - Scott Dixon, 3rd - Tony Kanaan.

If Dixon and Kanaan are still in the race to finish 2nd & 3rd...how is it possible Danica wins? Danica's only chance is if both Penske and Ganassi cars crash out along with Marco & TK. Then still hope none of the other teams caught up enough to the big 3 given this is the first aero non-skill event of the year.

Not as far fetched on the pole though...all depends on how well TK has her car set-up with that minimum track time.

I'm taking Dario, Dixon, Helio, Briscoe in that order. Not sure AGR is in their league any longer given test times at Homestead.

downtowndeco
23rd April 2009, 14:38
If she wins (again) will you shut up about her? Man, it's like a broken record with some of you guys. We get it. You feel she's overrated. That she doesn't deserve the fame. That she doesn't deserve the ride. yadda yadda yadda blah blah. We get it. But the bottom line is she's more than decent on the track and a good value for her sponsor off it. She's an asset to OW. If her star rises so does AOW. Isn't that enough for you? : )

If Dixon and Kanaan are still in the race to finish 2nd & 3rd...how is it possible Danica wins? Danica's only chance is if both Penske and Ganassi cars crash out along with Marco & TK. Then still hope none of the other teams caught up enough to the big 3 given this is the first aero non-skill event of the year.

Not as far fetched on the pole though...all depends on how well TK has her car set-up with that minimum track time.

I'm taking Dario, Dixon, Helio, Briscoe in that order. Not sure AGR is in their league any longer given test times at Homestead.

SarahFan
23rd April 2009, 15:05
If she wins (again) will you shut up about her? Man, it's like a broken record with some of you guys. We get it. You feel she's overrated. That she doesn't deserve the fame. That she doesn't deserve the ride. yadda yadda yadda blah blah. We get it. But the bottom line is she's more than decent on the track and a good value for her sponsor off it. She's an asset to OW. If her star rises so does AOW. Isn't that enough for you? : )

lighten up francis

garyshell
23rd April 2009, 15:22

Gee you think MAYBE some of this is brought on by the incessant dellusional "She'll be on the podium this week" ramblings elsewhere on this forum?

Gary

TURN3
23rd April 2009, 15:45
Gee you think MAYBE some of this is brought on by the incessant dellusional "She'll be on the podium this week" ramblings elsewhere on this forum?

Gary

I'd say that has about 85% to do with it, you're right. Sure seems there is a double standard in that posters can say whatever they like to her favor but the fact I feel just to opposite isn't acceptable. At least facts back up my feelings. Maybe our upset lil' friend would care to issue a wager that UNTIL she wins again nobody is allowed to post anything about her at all?

Considering the foul language and the fact it is off topic, I certainly hope our moderator handles business with our upset lil' friend. My predictions for this weeks race weren't in any way out of line.

Franchitti, Dixon, Helio, Briscoe. No way to tell until we've seen them on track but I'm thinking AGR has fallen behind Ganassi and Penske. Hope that hypothesis isn't too unfair to Danica...don't want anybody to cry.

SarahFan
23rd April 2009, 15:50
no ones talkin about Fisher this weekend....

I for one will be rooting for her!

chuck34
23rd April 2009, 15:55
no ones talkin about Fisher this weekend....

I for one will be rooting for her!

Go Sarah, Go!

I would like to see her in AGR equipment. I would be willing to bet she would do much beter than a few drivers curently in Mikey's employ.

SarahFan
23rd April 2009, 16:09
Go Sarah, Go!

I would like to see her in AGR equipment. I would be willing to bet she would do much beter than a few drivers curently in Mikey's employ.

you gotta hand it too her...

she has an unwavering love of INDY

garyshell
23rd April 2009, 16:56
you gotta hand it too her...

she has an unwavering love of INDY

And total determination to the point of starting her own team rather than having to play the politics or ride buy games. I really admire Sarah a lot.

Go girl!

Gary

DBell
23rd April 2009, 17:25
Go Sarah, Go!

On an oval perhaps, but not on road course. Not from what I've seen from her so far.

ChicagocrewIRL
23rd April 2009, 18:15
Danica will get the pole and the win. It will go nicely with her Motegi trophy.

Danica Patrick is THE BEST driver ever.

and she is from Illinois

and she is a girl

SUBARUTEAM
23rd April 2009, 22:15
Danica will get the pole and the win. It will go nicely with her Motegi trophy.

Danica Patrick is THE BEST driver ever.

and she is from Illinois

and she is a girl

Dude, thats a real stretch to say she's the best.

she is a great driver - to lead the indy 500 you have to be. But her win was a fuel race (as dixon did with his first win, and lots of other oval wins can be added to that list). you guys keep banging on about her because she looks hot. if she was butt ulgy or a bloke, she wouldn't even get a mention.

I say get off her case and let her get on with it.

anyone that can sit 2 inches off the ground and peddle an indy car at 210mph is right up there in my estimations

Hoop-98
23rd April 2009, 22:49
I'm wondering about the effect of the 122 inch wheelbase rule. More than likely the oval cream will be near the top but still curious about the tech change.

Everyone acknowledges the aero bits but I think the mechanical side of the chassis is just as important in giving a driver confidence.

A lot of the spooky snappy loose stuff can be tuned out, or vice versa (versus?) tuned in and make a driver look pretty scary.

jm2c
rh

TURN3
23rd April 2009, 23:13
I'm wondering about the effect of the 122 inch wheelbase rule. More than likely the oval cream will be near the top but still curious about the tech change.

Everyone acknowledges the aero bits but I think the mechanical side of the chassis is just as important in giving a driver confidence.

A lot of the spooky snappy loose stuff can be tuned out, or vice versa (versus?) tuned in and make a driver look pretty scary.

jm2c
rh

And with only 1 1/2 hours of practice, could be tough to dial in the cars. I think some of the teams tested here so surely they'll have a big advantage assuming they tested this config. Anybody know if the 122" is longer or shorter than what they normally run on the ovals? I know the longer the better, generally speaking.

Hoop-98
23rd April 2009, 23:45
And with only 1 1/2 hours of practice, could be tough to dial in the cars. I think some of the teams tested here so surely they'll have a big advantage assuming they tested this config. Anybody know if the 122" is longer or shorter than what they normally run on the ovals? I know the longer the better, generally speaking.

they could have run 122 or less before...

SUBARUTEAM
24th April 2009, 03:07
I think that they ran the longer wheelbase on the big ovals and the shorter wheelbase for the short ovals. It may have also come down to money as some of the smaller teams may not have had parts to run different wheelbases but now - all bets are off.

I think we'll crown a genuine champion this year!!!

garyshell
24th April 2009, 16:40
Just looked at the schedule and there is no practice today. And tomorrows only practice before qualifying is designated as "for Rookies and Entrants outside Top Ten Points". WOW. That really sucks for the teams that don't have as much oval time under their belts and did well in the first to road course races.

Gary

SarahFan
24th April 2009, 17:24
Just looked at the schedule and there is no practice today. And tomorrows only practice before qualifying is designated as "for Rookies and Entrants outside Top Ten Points". WOW. That really sucks for the teams that don't have as much oval time under their belts and did well in the first to road course races.

Gary

the first 30 minutes is for rookies/outside top ten..... then the next hour is for everybody

still not alot of time

SarahFan
24th April 2009, 17:33
Dixon is going to get more track time than Wilson...

doesn't seem right when you say it loud.... but it is what it is

garyshell
24th April 2009, 18:13
the first 30 minutes is for rookies/outside top ten..... then the next hour is for everybody

still not alot of time

Duh! Yep, I see that, NOW.

(Jeesh, Gary read the whole entry first.)

Thanks, Ken.

Gary

RJL25
25th April 2009, 06:38
I'm a Ryan Briscoe fan, but if I came on here before EVERY race and say "Ryan Briscoe is going to get the pole and the win, he is THE BEST driver, etc etc etc" then people would tell me to get the hell over it and stop being so one eyed. The fact that Danica fans feel that its ok for them to say this, but then get stroppy if someone takes them to task on it is very tiring.

If you want people to have any respect at all for what you have to say then start being REALISTIC! She is not going to win every race, statistics tell the tale that she is NOT the best driver by ANY measure, for a number of seasons now she has not been able to match her leading team mate, a championship was won in her team only a few years ago suggesting that she has, atleast in the past, had a car that can do the job, she hasn't done it.

So again, be REALISTIC! She is a very good driver, on her day she can win races, if everyhing comes together for her she could even win a championship one day, but she is NOT going to win every races, its unlikely she will even ever win races consistantly, and she is not the best driver.

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 16:14
Looks like practice has started....

TK on top at 211.110
Briscoe 210.899
Dixon 210.129
Doornbos 209.519
Meira 209.418
Sarah at 209.023

Hoop-98
25th April 2009, 16:23
Timing Snapshot after 30 Min:

http://i42.tinypic.com/6elnxy.jpg

rh

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 16:33
45 mins

Dixon on top 211.283
TK 211.110
Briscoe 210.899
Danica 210.534
Dario 210.402
Graham 210.142
SARAH FISHER 209.968

I find myself really wanting Sarah to do well here. GO SARAH !!!

Dario with the blue Nicorette paint on his Dallara this weekend

Hoop-98
25th April 2009, 17:07
http://i44.tinypic.com/33mo8b5.jpg

Down a couple MPH from 08...

rh

Hoop-98
25th April 2009, 17:30
Final P1:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2a0ksb7.jpg

08 reference:

http://i42.tinypic.com/64j9qs.jpg

Track Map:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2rml36r.jpg

rh

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 17:41
I'm really impressed with Sarah

disappointed with Ryan Hunter-Reay

downtowndeco
25th April 2009, 17:52
So again, be REALISTIC! She is a very good driver, on her day she can win races, if everyhing comes together for her she could even win a championship one day, but she is NOT going to win every races, its unlikely she will even ever win races consistantly, and she is not the best driver.

I agree with you here. I think the bone of contention is aimed at those that think she can do no right. For some, she could be winning races and in the hunt for the championship and they'd still be bagging on her. "She has a weight advantage". "She has a special car because the league needs her to do well for the publicity".

I think she's a decent, solid driver who stays out of trouble & usually brings the car home in one piece. No world beater but she's not a chump either.

DanicaFan
25th April 2009, 18:04
Danica done her usual on the ovals and that is run fast!! Look out everyone, she will be on the pole for this race.

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 18:52
Danica done her usual on the ovals and that is run fast!! Look out everyone, she will be on the pole for this race.

does it ever end....

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 18:53
Sarah in 9th is awesome!

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 20:18
Apparently some yahoo mental midget driving a race truck (race truck ?) yeah race truck blew an engine and spewed fluid all over the track and has delayed IndyCar quals by over 30 mins.

The idiot blew an engine and instead of diving below the white line and stopping, he kept going ON THE TRACK til he got back to the pits and sprayed fluid over 3/4 of the race track.

Where do they get these guys ?

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 20:23
Apparently some yahoo mental midget driving a race truck (race truck ?) yeah race truck blew an engine and spewed fluid all over the track and has delayed IndyCar quals by over 30 mins.

The idiot blew an engine and instead of diving below the white line and stopping, he kept going til he got back to the pits and sprayed fluid over 3/4 of the race track.

Where do they get these guys ?

gotta suck to be carpenter headed out first... not knowing how slick the track might be

DanicaFan
25th April 2009, 20:25
No doubt. I figured rain would hold up the qualifying, not oil from a blown truck engine.

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 21:09
what in the world happened to RHR ??? almost 5 mph slower than the pole . YIKES !!!!

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO SARAH!!!!!!!!

DanicaFan
25th April 2009, 21:15
what in the world happened to RHR ??? almost 5 mph slower than the pole . YIKES !!!!

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO SARAH!!!!!!!!
That is what I was wondering. He hasnt had any speed this weekend. :confused:

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 21:22
WOW Milka was impressive ... will wonders never cease. RHR in p22 and Milka top 10 ????

BOBBY D. TOP 3 OMG !!!! this is nuts ! First oval ever. Good job Arie coaching Bobby D on the ovals.

Danica up next ! P4 for Danica , potentially front row if Dario and Helio are DQd

Uh oh Dario and Helio have white line issues could be DQed !!! stay tuned !

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 21:26
Dornboos goes p3....

very impressive!

DanicaFan
25th April 2009, 21:28
Yes, great run for Doornbos.

Dont worry, Danica is up very soon. She will have P1. :)

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 21:31

I dont think anyone is worried..... except you maybe

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 21:36
audio is choppy....

but they are talking DQ for hellio and dario

Bobby d may just start p1

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 21:36
Graham just put down the fastest out lap

DanicaFan
25th April 2009, 21:38
Kudos to Graham Rahal for the pole.

SarahFan
25th April 2009, 21:39
all four laps fastest of quals

nice

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 21:40
totally unexpected result from N H L . I think we can say the big 3 is now the Big 4. (Penske AGR NHL Ganassi) Welcome to the show N H L . Paul Newman is smiling !!!!

TURN3
25th April 2009, 21:53
Yes, how impressive is that on a superspeedway?!! Wow! Not just Rahal but Doornbos too. It really looks like the track was getting faster and faster which might have really helped the later qualifiers but still...maybe time for the big 4 indeed.

Other interesting things to note given this is our first chance to see all teams on an all "wind tunnel" developed track. KVRT, with unproven oval talent Moraes looked really strong...PT might have a package to work with at Indy after all? Milka has improved significantly as Al Jr. has said as driver coach. And with lowly D&R, gotta take notice. All these surprises took place at the back end of quals so who knows how much that factored in, but still impressive regardless.

Hoop-98
25th April 2009, 22:16
Rahal, the final qualifier on the 1.5-mile oval as storm clouds were building, recorded a four-lap average of 211.311 mph (1 minute, 43.5819 seconds) in the No. 02 McDonald's car for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing.
His effort knocked Dario Franchitti (210.967 mph) from the top spot and denied Ganassi Racing teams three pole starting positions on the same day in three different series.

In post-qualifying review, Indy Racing League chief steward Brian Barnhart determined the Nos. 10 (Franchitti) and 3 (Helio Castroneves) drove below the white line. Their times were negated and they'll start from the rear of the 22-car field. Castroneves had qualified third (210.857).

That gave Robert Doornbos, making his IndyCar Series oval debut in the No. 06 Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing car, a front-row look (210.665) at his teammate. Seven different teams are represented on the first five rows.

"We've shown we can compete on the street courses and now have shown we have the speed to compete on the ovals," said Rahal, who became the youngest pole sitter in series history at St. Petersburg three weeks ago. "I can't give enough credit to the Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing guys for what they did in the off-season."

Danica Patrick, the penultimate qualifier in the No. 7 Motorola car for Andretti Green Racing, will start third (210.470) and reigning IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon (210.368) fourth in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car. Wind, which gusted to 30 mph earlier in the day, calmed down as the second half of the field made qualifying attempts.

Marco Andretti in the No. 26 Team Venom Energy car for Andretti Green Racing (210.220) will share Row 3 with Mario Moraes, who posted a career-best fourth (210.190).

rh

Hoop-98
25th April 2009, 23:06
http://i39.tinypic.com/54vh4j.jpg

rh

RJL25
25th April 2009, 23:07

Didn't happen did it! Now do you see why people have little time for you, you go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and your not even right!

Credit to her, Danica did a good job, leading AGR driver is no mean feat, BUT she is not and never will be this dominat force which you seem to think she is/will be

RJL25
25th April 2009, 23:10
Why the surprise over NHL? These guys dominated champcar for years, dominated CART before that and have consistantly been one of the leading teams Indycar way back before the split. These guys are top level operators, they where always going to struggle last year getting up to speed with the new (for them atleast) car compared to the IRL teams who have had years with the car already, but now they are up to speed they will show the IRL just why they had won 4 champcar chapionships in a row.

NickFalzone
25th April 2009, 23:14
I'm wondering if there's even going to be a race tomorrow, the weather does not look promising.

downtowndeco
25th April 2009, 23:18
For gods sake the guy is a fan. And for as much as he cheers for DP I can't say I've ever seen him bag on any of the other drivers like some here like to make a sport out of, so why does it bug you so much?

BTW. Good job Danica.

Didn't happen did it! Now do you see why people have little time for you, you go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and your not even right!

Credit to her, Danica did a good job, leading AGR driver is no mean feat, BUT she is not and never will be this dominat force which you seem to think she is/will be

DanicaFan
25th April 2009, 23:24
Well Dario Franchitti and Helio Castroneves had good qualifying times but both were penalized for driving below the white line during qualifications. So they have to start at the back of the field. That is bad for them. This moved Danica up to P3, inside row 2.

Here is the starting grid..

1. #02 Graham Rahal
2. #06 Robert Doornbos
3. #7 Danica Patrick
4. #9 Scott Dixon
5. #26 Marco Andretti
6. #5 Mario Moraes
7. #6 Ryan Briscoe
8. #11 Tony Kanaan
9. #4 Dan Wheldon
10. #20 Ed Carpenter
11. #67 Sarah Fisher
12. #23 Milka Duno
13. #27 Hideki Mutoh
14. #14 Vitor Meira
15. #2 Raphael Matos
16. #24 Mike Conway
17. #18 Justin Wilson
18. #13 EJ Viso
19. #98 Stanton Barrett
20. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay
21. #10 Dario Franchitti
22. #3 Helio Castroneves

ChicagocrewIRL
25th April 2009, 23:27

I always enjoy DanicaFan's enthusiasm. I don't mind his posts.

maxmach
25th April 2009, 23:58
Damn, I'm likin this, everything a little mixed up, sorry for Frankitti and Helio, but they will be up towards the front in 10-15 laps. I just like the mix upedness of it all, everyones everywhere. Should be an interesting race. Go everyone, except Milk and Donuts. Oh hell, maybe she and Stan will have their own race.

bzcam
26th April 2009, 02:07
Why the surprise over NHL? These guys dominated champcar for years, dominated CART before that and have consistantly been one of the leading teams Indycar way back before the split. These guys are top level operators, they where always going to struggle last year getting up to speed with the new (for them atleast) car compared to the IRL teams who have had years with the car already, but now they are up to speed they will show the IRL just why they had won 4 champcar chapionships in a row.

Well put. NHL took delivery of a couple of hand-me-down cars last year 5 minutes before the first race and did what they could with them. They've now had a whole year to learn the car and do their magic. I agree with another poster that we are seeing the beginning of the big three turning into the big 4. NHL is back and with exciting drivers like Graham and Fast Bobby they should be fun to watch.

Oh, and BTW - Go Sarah!

BZ

ChicagocrewIRL
26th April 2009, 02:15
I think there is one little thing keeping NHL from joining the BIG 3. Fully funded
entries where the drivers are paid and don't need to bring money.

When NHL can hire whomever they want to drive their cars, THEN there will be a BIG 4 instead of a BIG 3.

TURN3
26th April 2009, 04:03
Several things here:

1. Whether "you" mind DanicaFan's posts or not, most if not all of them are sickening to see over and over and over to several of us obviously. So whether you like her, hate her, care for his posts, or not, we all have rights to our opinions. Considering that no other single poster makes such ridiculous claims (99.9999% inaccurately mind you), you have to understand that he's going to get his share of crow. Personally, I've grown to hate her for 4 reasons: 1. His posts. 2. Her tantrums (to say the least) 3. The fact she doesn't have any racing talent/skill (neither does half the field so no knock on just her) 4. His posts. I sincerely appreciate the posting of "Well, Well, Well, Well, here is the starting grid for tomorrow's race...golly gee....really? Not sure where else I'd ever see that info...Thanks for that report Officer DanicaFan!

2. NHL shouldn't be a suprise based on their history of success, true. They basically dominated Champ Car and even CART when you consider the successes of Mario, Michael, Nigel, Christiano, and finally Seabass. Especially at the level of competition back in those days. Heck they even made Christian Fittipaldi look descent sometimes! The reason I find their speed this surprising on this track type so soon in this new season is that they've really had 1 off-season to preapre these cars with minimal testing time available. Compared to teams with max budgets, AGR, Penske, & TCGR, which have had what? 5 or 6 seasons now? I mean these cars will only go so fast. In the CART/Champ Car days, the teams got so close at the end of the Lola days because even the underfunded teams were figuring stuff out the money guys had 3 years prior. The cars reach their max and I think it is fair to say the "Big 3" have had it figured out for awhile. NHL has't had that time and seems they've at least closed to within where there is no gap. Plus, they've lost most of their engineering staff from those dominant days. That's why it's surprising in my opinion.

3. To say NHL isn't a "Big 4" because they don't have a fully funded team without ride buyers or whatever, that isn't a fair statement. First, look at Penske and AGR. Penske doesn't even have a primary sponsor (I realize Marlboro still pays for the livery but does anybody outside of racing realize those cars are supposed to look like packs of Marlboros?). AGR doesn't have all their cars fully sponsored either and I'd challenge anybody to say they have more than 1 driver on their team that is there on skill (see TK). No secret Mutoh is there with Honda's support, Marco is there on Daddy's dollar, and Danica wouldn't be there if it weren't for doing soft porn and/or being a female at the very least. Point is, none of these 3 drivers got where they are based on merit but rather by sponsor's buying their ride or family connection (see Ed Carpenter also). Both Rahal & Doornbos have won on their way up and Doornbos was really a threat to be a top level F1 driver. Sponsored or not, these 2 guys have proven throught their careers they have driving ability. There are a TON of other drivers out there that could fill the field if it weren't about the dollars and sense (Phillipe, Tracy, Servia, Montagany, Ranger, Junqeria, etc. etc. etc.). Then, and only then, would we have a true racing series so it wouldn't be about the "Big 3 or 4". And by the way anti-Danica anti's...that isn't a knock on her but rather her and the rest of the field that never won a darn thing in their careers. She along with at least 10 to 12 other drivers should still be working their way up the minors until they developed real skill.

Regardless, I think it is a breath of fresh air to get another team or maybe even 2 into the competitive level on these no-skill required tracks. Here, it is all about the time spent in the wind tunnel and the more teams the better racing. I think we're all for that regardless of which drivers are along for the ride.

ChicagocrewIRL
26th April 2009, 04:32
Several things here:

1. Whether "you" mind DanicaFan's posts or not, most if not all of them are sickening to see over and over and over to several of us obviously. So whether you like her, hate her, care for his posts, or not, we all have rights to our opinions. Considering that no other single poster makes such ridiculous claims (99.9999% inaccurately mind you), you have to understand that he's going to get his share of crow. Personally, I've grown to hate her for 4 reasons: 1. His posts. 2. Her tantrums (to say the least) 3. The fact she doesn't have any racing talent/skill (neither does half the field so no knock on just her) 4. His posts. I sincerely appreciate the posting of "Well, Well, Well, Well, here is the starting grid for tomorrow's race...golly gee....really? Not sure where else I'd ever see that info...Thanks for that report Officer DanicaFan!

2. NHL shouldn't be a suprise based on their history of success, true. They basically dominated Champ Car and even CART when you consider the successes of Mario, Michael, Nigel, Christiano, and finally Seabass. Especially at the level of competition back in those days. Heck they even made Christian Fittipaldi look descent sometimes! The reason I find their speed this surprising on this track type so soon in this new season is that they've really had 1 off-season to preapre these cars with minimal testing time available. Compared to teams with max budgets, AGR, Penske, & TCGR, which have had what? 5 or 6 seasons now? I mean these cars will only go so fast. In the CART/Champ Car days, the teams got so close at the end of the Lola days because even the underfunded teams were figuring stuff out the money guys had 3 years prior. The cars reach their max and I think it is fair to say the "Big 3" have had it figured out for awhile. NHL has't had that time and seems they've at least closed to within where there is no gap. Plus, they've lost most of their engineering staff from those dominant days. That's why it's surprising in my opinion.

3. To say NHL isn't a "Big 4" because they don't have a fully funded team without ride buyers or whatever, that isn't a fair statement. First, look at Penske and AGR. Penske doesn't even have a primary sponsor (I realize Marlboro still pays for the livery but does anybody outside of racing realize those cars are supposed to look like packs of Marlboros?). AGR doesn't have all their cars fully sponsored either and I'd challenge anybody to say they have more than 1 driver on their team that is there on skill (see TK). No secret Mutoh is there with Honda's support, Marco is there on Daddy's dollar, and Danica wouldn't be there if it weren't for doing soft porn and/or being a female at the very least. Point is, none of these 3 drivers got where they are based on merit but rather by sponsor's buying their ride or family connection (see Ed Carpenter also). Both Rahal & Doornbos have won on their way up and Doornbos was really a threat to be a top level F1 driver. Sponsored or not, these 2 guys have proven throught their careers they have driving ability. There are a TON of other drivers out there that could fill the field if it weren't about the dollars and sense (Phillipe, Tracy, Servia, Montagany, Ranger, Junqeria, etc. etc. etc.). Then, and only then, would we have a true racing series so it wouldn't be about the "Big 3 or 4". And by the way anti-Danica anti's...that isn't a knock on her but rather her and the rest of the field that never won a darn thing in their careers. She along with at least 10 to 12 other drivers should still be working their way up the minors until they developed real skill.

Regardless, I think it is a breath of fresh air to get another team or maybe even 2 into the competitive level on these no-skill required tracks. Here, it is all about the time spent in the wind tunnel and the more teams the better racing. I think we're all for that regardless of which drivers are along for the ride.

You forgot to say .... " GO SARAH GO !!!"

TURN3
26th April 2009, 04:39
You forgot to say .... " GO SARAH GO !!!"

GO SARAH GO!!!

Dr. Krogshöj
26th April 2009, 08:27
I think there is one little thing keeping NHL from joining the BIG 3. Fully funded

When NHL can hire whomever they want to drive their cars, THEN there will be a BIG 4 instead of a BIG 3.

As long as Bobby D is as fun to watch as he was back in 2007, I don't really care about whether he races from his family money or gets backing from a sponsor. Altough he could stick some charity organizations to his sidepod until he finds a backer.

BTW, what happened to RHR? He should use Ed's setup on Sunday.

MDS
26th April 2009, 16:07

So what exactly is a Formula Dream and where can I buy one?

DanicaFan
26th April 2009, 17:19
So what exactly is a Formula Dream and where can I buy one?
Formula Dream is a driver development program through Honda. So, I dont think you could buy one.. ;) :D

Hoop-98
26th April 2009, 21:04
Weather/Altitude effect on power currently is about 30 HP down from STP.

http://i43.tinypic.com/dnec8z.jpg

rh

harvick#1
26th April 2009, 21:36
Go Sarah Go!!!!!!

garyshell
26th April 2009, 23:15
Lap 155, during the Franchitti wreck what happened to Graham. He was on his way into the pits, checked up and Dario hit the wall. Then after everyone cycled through he was suddenly in 9th place. How did that happen???

Gary

DanicaFan
26th April 2009, 23:34
Congratulations to Scott Dixon for the win.

TURN3
26th April 2009, 23:36
Lap 155, during the Franchitti wreck what happened to Graham. He was on his way into the pits, checked up and Dario hit the wall. Then after everyone cycled through he was suddenly in 9th place. How did that happen???

Gary

I noticed the same thing. They didn't sort out the order before they opened the pits...he got royally hosed and cost him a top 5. NHL still looked pretty strong though and there's a little race next month I think they'll be fine with after seeing their aero package.

underpowered
26th April 2009, 23:45
Scott Wins! Back to normal transmission.

Wow, Danica is driving well this year.

Great Drive by Castroneves.

I am now officially a Rahal fan. bad luck on the last pit though.

ChicagocrewIRL
26th April 2009, 23:46
Good day for AGR. All four cars in the top 8. They should be very strong at Indy. Just when I thought they were fading as an Indy 500 contender.

I'd say Tony has the best chance at Indy followed by Danica, then Marco, then Hideki. But all will contend for top 10 positions at Indy.

Good luck AGR !!! Nice showing today.

5th car for Franck Montagny ????

DanicaFan
26th April 2009, 23:57
underpowered, Danica always drives well, especially on the ovals.

Look out Indy here she comes.

I cant wait for May. I will be down at the track everyday its open. I'll be working some days and playing other days. :)

DanicaFan
27th April 2009, 00:12
Danica had a great day today, finishing 5th. I look for good things this year and at the Indy 500.
And what a comeback for Helio Castroneves. Starts at the back of the field, has a small mishap with Vitor and had to pit to replace the nose of his car and finishes 2nd. Great job.

Here are the final results..

1. #9 Scott Dixon
2. #3 Helio Castroneves
3. #11 Tony Kanaan
4. #6 Ryan Briscoe
5. #7 Danica Patrick
6. #26 Marco Andretti
7. #02 Graham Rahal
8. #27 Hideki Mutoh
9. #20 Ed Carpenter
10. #4 Dan Wheldon
11. #5 Mario Moraes
12. #06 Robert Doornbos
13. #67 Sarah Fisher
14. #18 Justin Wilson
15. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay
16. #23 Milka Duno
17. #98 Stanton Barrett
18. #10 Dario Franchitti
19. #24 Mike Conway
20. #2 Raphael Matos
21. #13 EJ Viso
22. #14 Vitor Meira

bzcam
27th April 2009, 01:44

?

BZ

underpowered
27th April 2009, 01:56
?

BZ

You have to admit, he was close (he picked two out of the top three). She finished way higher than I expected

beachgirl
27th April 2009, 02:25

Underpowered??? Wherever did you get that idea? Everyone's got the same engine. Is this a new unfounded "isn't Danica wonderful" tactic?

SoCalPVguy
27th April 2009, 02:30

Another wrong prediction, except for one lucky win on pit strategy, you have been wrong on 99.44% of your pro-princess predictions. Why don't you be honest and start making predictions that don't show you as a creepy stalker and more of a knowledgeable racing fan, taking into account specific race situations, weather, set up, track, etc.

If for example you had taken off your princess colored rose glasses and said something like "well danica's fast, the competition's tough, and I see her as a top 3-4 qualifier you'd have still been a true fan and realistic (not to mention accurate), as it was you are just another syncophant.

bzcam
27th April 2009, 04:07

At the Indy 500 this year, Stanton Barrett will get the pole and the win. 2nd place - Milka Duno, 3rd - Mike Conway.

BZ

harvick#1
27th April 2009, 04:15

Look out Indy here she comes.

I cant wait for May. I will be down at the track everyday its open. I'll be working some days and playing other days. :)

really, how many times has she actually passed a driver for the lead on the track and not pitroad :confused:

she started 3rd today and ran no higher than 5th.

outside of another lucky break, she would've been in 10th.

*on a side note Doorknob got ***** on the pit call

TURN3
27th April 2009, 04:30
really, how many times has she actually passed a driver for the lead on the track and not pitroad :confused:

she started 3rd today and ran no higher than 5th.

outside of another lucky break, she would've been in 10th.

*on a side note Doorknob got ***** on the pit call

Without stating my opinions, I just want to correct your post. Delete the word "lead" and you're golden!

underpowered
27th April 2009, 04:43
Underpowered??? Wherever did you get that idea? Everyone's got the same engine. Is this a new unfounded "isn't Danica wonderful" tactic?

I think he was talking to me :-)

DanicaFan
27th April 2009, 05:01
The guy who really got ***** on the pit lane call was Ryan Briscoe. He was past the pit line before the yellow came out.

downtowndeco
27th April 2009, 05:28
So the guy is a fan. Big deal. His driver is 6th in the points which means she has 19 other drivers behind her in the points standings. If he wants to root for her let him. Why does it bother you so much? Let it go already. OW needs more fans like him, and less bitter, cynical old cranks. : )

Another wrong prediction, except for one lucky win on pit strategy, you have been wrong on 99.44% of your pro-princess predictions. Why don't you be honest and start making predictions that don't show you as a creepy stalker and more of a knowledgeable racing fan, taking into account specific race situations, weather, set up, track, etc.

If for example you had taken off your princess colored rose glasses and said something like "well danica's fast, the competition's tough, and I see her as a top 3-4 qualifier you'd have still been a true fan and realistic (not to mention accurate), as it was you are just another syncophant.

ozrevhead
27th April 2009, 05:48
The guy who really got ***** on the pit lane call was Ryan Briscoe. He was past the pit line before the yellow came out.
I couldnt believe it - I was not very happy...Im sure he would of been on the podium at least!

Thats the nature of motorsport - this weekend I've figered out why I hate this sport sometimes

PS - whats the overall stadings like???

underpowered
27th April 2009, 06:00
I couldnt believe it - I was not very happy...Im sure he would of been on the podium at least!

Thats the nature of motorsport - this weekend I've figered out why I hate this sport sometimes

PS - whats the overall stadings like???

Pos Driver Points
1. Tony Kanaan 100
2. Ryan Briscoe 99
3. Dario Franchitti 96
4. Scott Dixon 81
5. Ryan Hunter-Reay 74
6. Danica Patrick 74
7. Marco Andretti 73
8. Graham Rahal 72
9. Will Power 69
10. Helio Castroneves 66
11. Dan Wheldon 66
12. Justin Wilson 65
13. Robert Doornbos 59
14. Hideki Mutoh 51
15. Vitor Meira 50
16. Raphael Matos 48
17. Ed Carpenter 46
18. Stanton Barrett 44
19. Mario Moraes 43
20. Alex Tagliani 40
21. Darren Manning 38
22. E.J. Viso 37
23. Mike Conway 36
24. Sarah Fisher 17
25. Milka Duno 14

The cream is rising to the top. I'm watching Rahal.

ozrevhead
27th April 2009, 06:13
Pos Driver Points
1. Tony Kanaan 100
2. Ryan Briscoe 99
3. Dario Franchitti 96
4. Scott Dixon 81
5. Ryan Hunter-Reay 74
6. Danica Patrick 74
7. Marco Andretti 73
8. Graham Rahal 72
9. Will Power 69
10. Helio Castroneves 66
11. Dan Wheldon 66
12. Justin Wilson 65
13. Robert Doornbos 59
14. Hideki Mutoh 51
15. Vitor Meira 50
16. Raphael Matos 48
17. Ed Carpenter 46
18. Stanton Barrett 44
19. Mario Moraes 43
20. Alex Tagliani 40
21. Darren Manning 38
22. E.J. Viso 37
23. Mike Conway 36
24. Sarah Fisher 17
25. Milka Duno 14

The cream is rising to the top. I'm watching Rahal.
Im a realist and I think probally Scott and Helio will fight it out

But that cant mean I dont have everything crossed for Ryan (thats if penske doesnt decide to favor Helio again!)

ChicagocrewIRL
27th April 2009, 06:23
So the guy is a fan. Big deal. His driver is 6th in the points which means she has 19 other drivers behind her in the points standings. If he wants to root for her let him. Why does it bother you so much? Let it go already. OW needs more fans like him, and less bitter, cynical old cranks. : )

AMEN BROTHER (or sister)

beachgirl
27th April 2009, 12:59
I think he was talking to me :-)

Oops.

Chris R
27th April 2009, 13:39
AMEN BROTHER (or sister)

I cannot say I often agree with DD - but i'll second that AMEN....

While I find sometimes DanicaFan's optimism mis-placed I always find it encouraging - the sport needs more hardcore driver fans if it ever wants to get more popular in the mainstream.....

ChicagocrewIRL
27th April 2009, 14:37
I cannot say I often agree with DD - but i'll second that AMEN....

While I find sometimes DanicaFan's optimism mis-placed I always find it encouraging - the sport needs more hardcore driver fans if it ever wants to get more popular in the mainstream.....

One thing I don't think I will ever understand is the extremely negative reactions people have to his posts. I think he does it just to get a rise out of those individuals and if that's his purpose, he's doing a great job. They've all been fished in. HAHA

I really do enjoy his enthusiasm as well. He rarely has anything negative or derisive to say about anyone or anything. SO REFRESHING

DanicaFan ROCKS !!!!

bblocker68
27th April 2009, 15:55
I was a hater too, but I'm giving DanicaFan some slack since I'm pretty sure he enjoys getting some people in here hot and bothered :)

I'm fine with it. Great race and congrats to Dixie. Good to see him get things straightened out before heading to Indy!

beachgirl
28th April 2009, 01:14
I had to watch the race today, as our COMCAST cable AND internet died 92 laps into the race and didn't come back until hours later. I was not pleased. However, in watching today, when Briscoe got caught out with the yellow in pit lane, did anyone else notice that the announcing crew kept calling him "Scott Briscoe....." the entire time they were talking about it? I thought my brain had a hearing blip, but then they did it again! But, they're enthusiastic, and a million times better than last year, so I'll forgive them.

NickFalzone
28th April 2009, 01:31
Beachgirl, it happens every race. I think Jenkins is actually very familiar with the drivers names, but in the heat of the moment it comes out ALL wrong. He has a real problem with Briscoe. Sometimes it's Scott Briscoe, I heard "Bryan" Briscoe once or twice. Kansas was not one of Jenkins better moments. But I agree, overall this crew is a serious announcing team. You'll never have a perfect group, but this one gets the job done. If the worst we get is Jenkins mispronouncing some names and Lindy Thaxton seeming occasionally clueless (but pretty) I can deal with it. Jack Arute has somehow come around and not annoyed me at all the last couple races, and Beekhuis' "car technology" segments are a great addition IMO. I literally put it on mute a few times last season the ABC announcing was so annoying.

coogmaster
28th April 2009, 15:40
Beachgirl, it happens every race. I think Jenkins is actually very familiar with the drivers names, but in the heat of the moment it comes out ALL wrong. He has a real problem with Briscoe. Sometimes it's Scott Briscoe, I heard "Bryan" Briscoe once or twice. Kansas was not one of Jenkins better moments. But I agree, overall this crew is a serious announcing team. You'll never have a perfect group, but this one gets the job done. If the worst we get is Jenkins mispronouncing some names and Lindy Thaxton seeming occasionally clueless (but pretty) I can deal with it. Jack Arute has somehow come around and not annoyed me at all the last couple races, and Beekhuis' "car technology" segments are a great addition IMO. I literally put it on mute a few times last season the ABC announcing was so annoying.

Jon Beekhuis's segments are great - reminds me of his "Ford Facts" pieces from back in the mid 90s, really interesting bits of information that for some reason we never saw in the last 2 or 3 yrs.

I like this crew, with the exception of Robbie Buhl. Now, he's a great guy whose been around the IRL since its inception and I respect the hell out of him, but sometimes his contributions make you cringe. BUT, I think with time, he will iron out the kinks just like Jenkins will. And, I'd love to see Cheever in the both at Indy again.

PA Rick
28th April 2009, 15:58
.......... And, I'd love to see Cheever in the both at Indy again.NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
How about Derek Daly and Tommy Kendall? My absolute favorite would be Paul Page.

coogmaster
28th April 2009, 16:31
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
How about Derek Daly and Tommy Kendall? My absolute favorite would be Paul Page.

We have to remember that the 500 will be on ABC. Does that mean we get Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear again, or do we keep the same lineup as on Vs? Does anyone have any info on this?

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 16:38
We have to remember that the 500 will be on ABC. Does that mean we get Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear again, or do we keep the same lineup as on Vs? Does anyone have any info on this?

I'm not sure.... but Goodyear is horrible

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 16:52

More Than 30 Hours Live On VERSUS In May
By Paul Kelly
indy500.com
Wednesday, April 8, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABC and VERSUS will provide comprehensive live coverage of the 2009 Indianapolis 500, with ABC broadcasting "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" for the 45th consecutive year and exclusive cable partner VERSUS offering more than 30 hours of practice and qualifying action.

ABC, which has televised the Indianapolis 500 annually since 1965, will start its coverage with a pre-race show at noon (ET) Sunday, May 24. Live race coverage starts at 1 p.m.

Brent Musburger will serve as host of the ABC telecast. Marty Reid will serve as the lead announcer, with 1998 Indianapolis 500 winner Eddie Cheever Jr. and "500" veteran Scott Goodyear as analysts. Jack Arute, Vince Welch, Jamie Little and Brienne Pedigo will serve as pit reporters.

VERSUS' live May programming will include coverage from noon-6:30 p.m. for each of the Indianapolis 500 qualifying days: Pole Day on Saturday, May 9; Second Day Qualifying on Sunday, May 10; Third Day Qualifying on Saturday, May 16; and Bump Day on Sunday, May 17. The network also will feature five hours of uninterrupted and continuous coverage of Miller Lite Carb Day from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday, May 22, featuring the final, one-hour practice for the elite, 33-car Indianapolis 500 field, the annual Pit Stop Challenge and the Firestone Freedom 100 race for the Firestone Indy Lights.

Immediately following the Indianapolis 500 on May 24, VERSUS will air a live post-race show featuring in-depth trackside analysis of all the action that unfolded during the race.

VERSUS' talent lineup includes Bob Jenkins as lead announcer, Indianapolis 500 veteran Robbie Buhl and former open-wheel standout Jon Beekhuis as analysts, and Arute, Robbie Floyd and Lindy Thackston as pit reporters.

"Indianapolis 500 fans are the big winners this year with the level of comprehensive live coverage provided by ABC and VERSUS," said Joie Chitwood, IMS president and chief operating officer. "Both networks bring a deep commitment to the '500' and feature the most talented people in sports broadcasting both on the air and behind the scenes."

In addition to live qualifying races, VERSUS will celebrate the rich history and excitement of the Indianapolis 500 with daily programming during Race Week. On Monday, May 18, VERSUS will air "Danica: Five Years Running,"which includes highlights of Danica Patrick's career - including her breakthrough 2008 IndyCar Series win - and her thoughts on the 2009 season. On Tuesday, May 19, the network will air "IndyCar Series: Top 10 Closest Finishes,"whichfeatures the top-10 closest finishes in IndyCar Series history, including the 2008 season finale at Chicagoland Speedway.

"IndyCar Series: Crashes and Conflicts," which will air Monday, May 20, showcases some of the most memorable incidents and conflicts between drivers and several of the most incredible crashes in recent IndyCar Series history. "Top 10 Indy 500 Moments," airing on Tuesday, May 21, is a 30-minute special highlighting the most memorable events in the race's history.

On Wednesday, May 22, VERSUS will air "Indy 500: Foyt, Mears & Unser," an in-depth look at the only four-time Indianapolis 500 winners. On Saturday, May 23, VERSUS will air highlights from the 53rd annual IPL Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade and a 30-minute preview show which will give viewers a last-minute look into the season's most-anticipated event and all the storylines on the eve of the race.

SarahFan
28th April 2009, 17:22
it will be very interesting to see if ABC pimps the other 12 races on Versus...

ChicagocrewIRL
28th April 2009, 17:53
NO NO NO NO NO NO NOT BRIENNE PEDIGO !!!!

Lindy Thackston outclasses Pedigo by 500 miles. I'm so impressed with Lindy.

She is no lightweight airhead.