PDA

View Full Version : Who will be Champion ?

pino
20th April 2009, 13:04
A lot has changed since we had a similar thread, so it's time to update it: who's your favourite driver for the title ? btw remember the question isn't who would you like to win...but who do you think will win :p :

Ranger
20th April 2009, 13:11
A lot has changed since we had a similar thread, so it's time to update it: who's your favourite driver for the title ? btw remember the question isn't who would you like to win...but who do you think will win :p :

Ask me after Red Bull add their triple diffuser. :)

pino
20th April 2009, 13:13
Ask me after Red Bull add their triple diffuser. :)

I will start a new thread/poll at that time :p :

EuroTroll
20th April 2009, 14:18
1. Vettel - voted
2. Button
3. Hamilton

big_sw2000
20th April 2009, 14:22
Would be good to see a dry race, see how much time Red Bull have made up

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2009, 14:33
When's the last time that a poll like this was SO wide open? I mean, there are any number of legitimate choices. By mid season, the championship could be on its head again... or maybe not.

Given his curent lead and the fact that he's been consistent with his racecraft, I'm going with Button.

CNR
20th April 2009, 14:50
i think as teams develop there diffusers there may be a few that could take points off each other and it may be low points
like 1999
http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/1999/

pino
20th April 2009, 15:22
A similar poll on gazzetta.it has this result so far (6787 votes) :

Button (Brawn GP)57.9%

Vettel (Red Bull)34.4%

Trulli (Toyota)3.3%

Barrichello (Brawn GP)2.8%

Glock (Toyota)0.8%

Webber (Red Bull)0.8%

Knock-on
20th April 2009, 15:25
A similar poll on gazzetta.it has this result so far :

Button (Brawn GP)57.9%

Vettel (Red Bull)34.4%

Trulli (Toyota)3.3%

Barrichello (Brawn GP)2.8%

Glock (Toyota)0.8%

Webber (Red Bull)0.8%

OMG. Massa and Kimi not even in the picture?

The Ferrari is no a long way off the pace and if they get a diffuser working, will be right up there.

UltimateDanGTR
20th April 2009, 15:26
Its gonna be between Vettel and Button. an abu dhabi super finale anyone?

pino
20th April 2009, 15:30
OMG. Massa and Kimi not even in the picture?

The Ferrari is no a long way off the pace and if they get a diffuser working, will be right up there.

Why are you surprised ? don't you always say italians don't know nothing about F1 ? :crazy: :p :

F1boat
20th April 2009, 16:07
I voted for Jenson, but because I want him to win, I think that Vettel has bigger chance. But it is way to early and it is possible that the big guys will catch Brawn GP and Red Bull. If this happens the ones who catch them first are favorites. From what I see, McLaren and Renault are in front of BMW and Ferrari.

Roamy
20th April 2009, 16:16
Boy - I find it very surprising that Piquet has no votes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cynisca
20th April 2009, 16:34
Jenson Button.

Knock-on
20th April 2009, 16:41
Why are you surprised ? don't you always say italians don't know nothing about F1 ? :crazy: :p :

I never said that.

They have a basic grasp of food and wine, no noticable knowledge of how to satisfy women (although I appreciate this may be genetic) but are probably the 2nd greatest nation in Motorsport :D

jens
20th April 2009, 17:04
I doubt Red Bull is a match to Brawn GP in dry over race distance yet, so Button is probably still the biggest favourite, but by now it could be said that Vettel might indeed become his main rival. Can't believe Ferrari will win the title - they have way more problems than just the pace of the car. Among former champions maybe only McLaren can recover during the season, but they must do it rather rapidly to avoid the leaders getting too far ahead.

ozrevhead
20th April 2009, 22:52
I will wait till we see RB in the dry first before I start thinking there is a possibility

And whos to say Vettle is going to be the faster RB anyway!

CNR
20th April 2009, 23:31
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/article2386688.ece
JENSON BUTTON fears F1’s dogs of war are gearing up to snap at his title heels.

“We haven’t had improvements yet and won’t have until Barcelona next month.

“We’ve got to hope we can hold them off in Bahrain. It will be competitive but everyone will be a lot closer next race.

“Once we get past Bahrain we can hopefully have a package of improvements that moves us forward a little bit more.”

F1boat
21st April 2009, 06:01
Among former champions maybe only McLaren can recover during the season, but they must do it rather rapidly to avoid the leaders getting too far ahead.

In my opinion Renault can recover as well. Oh, it's gonna be tight :cool:

DexDexter
21st April 2009, 07:18
Hamilton-voted
One of the Ferraris
Alonso

My choices sound unbelievable but looking at history, the status quo will return, sooner or later. The guys leading the championship now will have all sorts of problems later in the season. I admit that Ferrari is wishful thinking :)

ShiftingGears
21st April 2009, 07:30
I will wait until theres a dry race where the front runners don't crash out/get crashed into to decide.

Nikey
21st April 2009, 08:14
Drivers that IMO have proven they can fight for championship (have won races) are: Button, Vettel, Kubica, Räikkönen, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa. Barrichello won races in 2004, Fisichella is not what he used to be (and never even was a champion material) and Kovalainen is clearly n. 2 driver so I don't count them in. Only Button and Vettel have good enough cars at the moment and we have not yet seen how Vettel handles pressure. So I say Button. I think he has deserved it.

...I just remembered that Trulli has also won a race. But that doesn't really change a thing. He just doesn't seem fast enough to win more than 1-2 races this year.

Cozzie
21st April 2009, 09:02
I would go with Vettel to pip Button, Trulli and a strong finishing Massa.

Koz
22nd April 2009, 03:00
We have 14 races left...

It's still and open field up there.

I would not discount Hamilton, Massa or Kimi just yet.

Remember how Kimi became champion, against all odds, by a slim mathematical possibility that everyone discounted?

It'll happen again, Lord Hamilton is getting quicker as we all saw in the last race, but his lordship lost his cool far too many times, he was very very lucky to even finish. Could be the pressure is getting to him?

Massa had a very good race, till whatever it is happened to him. But frustration will set soon if things don't change.

F1boat
22nd April 2009, 09:34
I would not discount Hamilton, Massa or Kimi just yet.

Or Alonso...

jens
22nd April 2009, 20:25
I find it kinda odd that Hamilton, Alonso and Ferraris have been mentioned more often here than Toyotas. :p : I don't think Toyota is going to win the title, to be honest, but I don't think they should be so overlooked either. I doubt for example Red Bull is already faster than Toyota in the dry yet. But we'll see in Sakhir.

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 15:47
Or Alonso...

:up:

stevie_gerrard
27th April 2009, 11:24
Things won't last how they are at the moment. Personally, i believe Hamilton will show his credibility to just edge out Button to the championship. Vettel will be close as well. Looks a long way away from that, but i believe there isn't much more the Brawn team will have under their sleeves for the rest of the season. Plus i believe Hamilton will recover and show just why he is world champion and put up a spirited fight at least.

jens
27th April 2009, 11:37
I don't think Alonso or Ferraris will be any kind of threats some are guessing here. One thing is to catch up Brawn, etc teams in car development, but another thing is to start reducing the gap in points, which will be even more difficult since Alonso & Co are trailing Button almost by 30 points.

I still think it'll be between Button and Vettel with maybe Hamilton joining them as McLaren looks quite decent already. But even McLaren must become a genuine frontrunner from the European season onwards.

Toyota looks quick too, but unlike other (top) teams they don't have one driver, who seems to have a clear edge over other, so by using an old phrase, they keep "taking points away from each other". But maybe a slight chance in the fight for WCC?

jens
10th May 2009, 18:34
Hamilton is now surely out of the game - McLaren still has too clear weaknesses.

It's all about Button now. Maybe Red Bull can challenge him if their new double-diffuser turns them into a dominant force, but otherwise - difficult.

F1boat
10th May 2009, 18:48
IMO RBR have a great car now and the DD is a risk. They should change their strategy and not the aero, IMO. But Brawn are really good, so I guess that they will be tough to beat.

Dave B
10th May 2009, 18:58
Who voted for Piquet? :eek:

UltimateDanGTR
10th May 2009, 19:02
Is it me, or is it that button might aswell reverse the rest of the way to the championship, because he will still win?

ShiftingGears
11th May 2009, 12:08
If Red Bull's DDD doesn't mke them the #1 team, I think it's going to be Jensons year.

Knock-on
11th May 2009, 12:15
I hope Jenson doesn't win.

I spent a fortune on Champoo celebrating Lewis's win last year and can't afford it.

There is a bloody recession on don't they know :(

Oh well, may have to go down to the Bolly instead of the Krug ;)

AndyL
11th May 2009, 12:48
Poor old Rubens, he's second in the world championship and still no-one has voted for him. He's less likely to win the championship than Trulli or even Piquet according to this poll!

jens
11th May 2009, 14:06
Poor old Rubens, he's second in the world championship and still no-one has voted for him. He's less likely to win the championship than Trulli or even Piquet according to this poll!

Yes, because he's a No.2 driver. :p : (okay, Piquet is as well :p :)

aryan
12th May 2009, 05:34
Piquet has 2 votes! :rotflmao:

And someone thinks Bourdais will be champion! :D

Gotta love these polls!

Dave B
12th May 2009, 08:43

I spent a fortune on Champoo celebrating Lewis's win last year and can't afford it.

If you want something actually worth drinking, rather than spraying, Tesco have got some rather good Veuve Clicquot for about £30 a bottle. Double those Clubcard points, man! :p

SGWilko
12th May 2009, 09:00

Knockie - get some of that cheap white plonk in a carton from Tesco, buy a Sodastream and spare gas off fleabay, mix, et voila, your very own sparkling wine.

Close your eyes and use your imagination - it could be Champoo!!!!!

Knock-on
12th May 2009, 10:02
It's OK chaps. Someone bought me 6 bottles for my 40th Birthday so we're OK :D

He can go on and win it now.

SGWilko
12th May 2009, 10:03
It's OK chaps. Someone bought me 6 bottles for my 40th Birthday so we're OK :D

He can go on and win it now.

Old git!!!! :laugh:

Dave B
12th May 2009, 10:07
40? Suddenly I feel young again! :p

Knock-on
12th May 2009, 10:39
40? Suddenly I feel young again! :p

And where were you at the Party eh? You could have helped keep Scooby in check :D