PDA

View Full Version : Which three drivers would you sack right now?

Dave B
18th April 2009, 10:18
I freely admit I'm shameless nicking this idea from Ed Gorman's blog in The Times (http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/2009/04/which-three-drivers-would-you-sack-right-now.html), but it is an interesting question.

If you had to replace three drivers right now, based on the last two races, who would they be?

Piquet has disappointed for the last year. Obviously he was always going to struggle to match a double world champion team mate, but Hamilton showed at McLaren that it can be done. To be out-qualified 20-0 so far by Alonso and to have made so many errors is embarrassing.

Kovy played second fiddle to Lewis well enough, and maybe under Ron there was an argument to suggest he was never really allowed to thrive, but I've seen nothing of the sparkle I used to regularly witness first-hand when he was in Formula Renault. McLaren need a strong pairing right now, and I can't help but think Heikki is letting them down.

Kimi. When he's good he is very very good, but he's switched off. His comment today that Ferrari can't win the championship - after just two races - betrays his lack of commitment. His supreme talent gets him so far, but he really doesn't seem the sort of character to stick around if his team can't find form. The rumours of Alonso replacing him for 2010 simply won't go away, and if I were running Ferrari I'd quite happily replace the Finn.

Who would you fire?

christophulus
18th April 2009, 10:24
I'd say Raikkonen, for the reasons outlined above - he just doesn't seem interested. Plus he's the highest paid driver on the grid and IMO a waste of money.

Other than that, Bourdais seems to be an obvious choice, he just doesn't look like he'll ever beat any team mate he's put alongside.

Thirdly, I'd say one of the Force India drivers. The whole team needs something to drive them forwards, to me it looks like they'll forever be propping up the timesheets. I don't think either of them are doing a particularly bad job but it just needs a fresh start.

I'd disagree with Piquet & Kovalainen, they're doing the job they're employed to do i.e. stay out of the way of the number one driver. Briatore has said as much - you can't have two top drivers in the same team. Although I admit they desperately need some solid points finishes.

Tazio
18th April 2009, 10:27
I'd sack Johnny111 :)

Valve Bounce
18th April 2009, 10:27
I freely admit I'm shameless nicking this idea from Ed Gorman's blog in The Times (http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/2009/04/which-three-drivers-would-you-sack-right-now.html), but it is an interesting question.

If you had to replace three drivers right now, based on the last two races, who would they be?

Piquet has disappointed for the last year. Obviously he was always going to struggle to match a double world champion team mate, but Hamilton showed at McLaren that it can be done. To be out-qualified 20-0 so far by Alonso and to have made so many errors is embarrassing.

Kovy played second fiddle to Lewis well enough, and maybe under Ron there was an argument to suggest he was never really allowed to thrive, but I've seen nothing of the sparkle I used to regularly witness first-hand when he was in Formula Renault. McLaren need a strong pairing right now, and I can't help but think Heikki is letting them down.

Kimi. When he's good he is very very good, but he's switched off. His comment today that Ferrari can't win the championship - after just two races - betrays his lack of commitment. His supreme talent gets him so far, but he really doesn't seem the sort of character to stick around if his team can't find form. The rumours of Alonso replacing him for 2010 simply won't go away, and if I were running Ferrari I'd quite happily replace the Finn.

Who would you fire?

None. I see that I am confused as to who could do what on the track. I'll leave it to my more learned friends to sack them. But I don't like people to lose their jobs. :(

Dave B
18th April 2009, 10:29
Briatore has said as much - you can't have two top drivers in the same team.
I agree with the principal of that, but you do need two drivers who push each other on and keep each other on their toes. Look at the way Heidfeld suddenly got his act together when Kubica showed up. Can you honestly imagine that Alonso feels motivated or inspired by Piquet?

BTCC2
18th April 2009, 10:39
Nelson Piquet, Sebastien Bourdais and Giancarlo Fisichella.

DexDexter
18th April 2009, 10:46
I'd say Raikkonen, for the reasons outlined above - he just doesn't seem interested. Plus he's the highest paid driver on the grid and IMO a waste of money.

Other than that, Bourdais seems to be an obvious choice, he just doesn't look like he'll ever beat any team mate he's put alongside.

Thirdly, I'd say one of the Force India drivers. The whole team needs something to drive them forwards, to me it looks like they'll forever be propping up the timesheets. I don't think either of them are doing a particularly bad job but it just needs a fresh start.

I'd disagree with Piquet & Kovalainen, they're doing the job they're employed to do i.e. stay out of the way of the number one driver. Briatore has said as much - you can't have two top drivers in the same team. Although I admit they desperately need some solid points finishes.

When has Räikkonen looked interested to you? He behaves in a way that is totally acceptable in his culture, it's got nothing to do with being interested or not. He has beaten (luck or no luck) Massa two times out of three in quali this year. The salary thing is true though, that's too much.

Piquet deserves to be sacked, if you can't make it through the first part of qualifying in a Renault, you deserve the boot. Sorry to say, but Heikki is on the bubble for me as well, he's almost as quick as Hamilton in quali but the crashing must stop now. Bourdais is the third, he isn't anything special.

christophulus
18th April 2009, 10:53
I agree with the principal of that, but you do need two drivers who push each other on and keep each other on their toes. Look at the way Heidfeld suddenly got his act together when Kubica showed up. Can you honestly imagine that Alonso feels motivated or inspired by Piquet?

I don't think Alonso needs motivating or inspiring - it appears to me that he's the one responsible for driving the team forwards. It really lost its way when he left and started to recover on his return.

That setup won't work in every situation but I think Alonso works better when he's not under threat, and personally I think Renault would be daft to bring on someone as a challenger. I don't know if Piquet is any good for the technical side of things, but he's cheap to employ and Briatore wouldn't have kept him on if he wasn't happy with him.

christophulus
18th April 2009, 11:04
When has Räikkonen looked interested to you? He behaves in a way that is totally acceptable in his culture, it's got nothing to do with being interested or not.

Fair point.

I think the reason I'd get rid of him is more because Ferrari really need a team leader at the moment, and I don't see him as a person to pull the team forwards. Maybe I'm wrong but Ferrari seem directionless and someone like Alonso would probably have more luck in sorting things out.

ioan
18th April 2009, 11:12
None for now. But I'd give it a go with a few managers and engineers.

jens
18th April 2009, 11:26
With possible replacements there is another question that should always be immediately asked: Who would do a better job and is he available? I see that in the original post it is highlighted the change should take place with immediate effect, not at the end of the season, which means that it's more difficult to reach clearcut answers.

Piquet and Nakajima have been nowhere close to their team-mates so far, but I see drivers like Grosjean, Hülkenberg or even Kobayashi (if he proves himself in the main GP2 season) as replacements more like for 2010. I'd give the benefit of doubt to the third biggest disappointment of the season so far - Kovalainen.

F1boat
18th April 2009, 11:28
Nakajima and, unfortunately, Nelson :(

Dave B
18th April 2009, 11:31
With possible replacements there is another question that should always be immediately asked: Who would do a better job and is he available? I see that in the original post it is highlighted the change should take place with immediate effect, not at the end of the season, which means that it's more difficult to reach clearcut answers.
That's a valid enough point. I guess it's just a roundabout way of asking which drivers do you feel are under-performing right now and don't inspire confidence that they'll significantly improve. It's just a bit of fun, as Keith Barret would say. :p

Sonic
18th April 2009, 11:33
Piquet is the clear choice. Whilst you can't have two number ones in the team you need someone who can score points. Look at all shumi's team mates - quick enough but only ever playing supporting roles. That said I don't think piquet will go, daddy keeps turning up to races and will surely provide.......erm....financial compensation to flav for having to put up with a bog slow driver.

Other than that I think most others are preforming ok. Bourdais, kovy and fissi have all made poor starts to the season but they all deserve a few more races before the axe drops.

I am evil Homer
18th April 2009, 11:42
None for now. But I'd give it a go with a few managers and engineers.

+1 oh and the guys who allegedly run the entire thing!!

That said Piquet and Bourdais seem to be on borrowed time. I can't see anyone doing better that Fisi in the FI..it's just too slow.

CNR
18th April 2009, 11:58
Bourdais not even on par with scott speed
Lewis Hamilton lie to me will you. you little

all the drivers on 0 points (all the talk last year about Felipe Massa going to be dropped after the start of last year for the bad form)

woody2goody
18th April 2009, 12:12
Nelson and Kimi. Neither is very fast at the moment, and Kimi doesn't seem to care.

Sonic
18th April 2009, 12:31
Kimi cares. Just not in a visible way.

18th April 2009, 12:35
Kimi cares. Just not in a visible way.

"Maybe I didnt treat you
Quite as good as I should have
Maybe I didnt love you
Quite as often as I could have
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time

You were always on my mind

Tell me, tell me that your sweet love hasnt died
Give me, give me one more chance
To keep you satisfied, satisfied

Maybe I didnt hold you
All those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
Im so happy that youre mine
If I make you feel second best
Girl, Im sorry I was blind

You are always on my mind
You are always on my mind"

Sonic
18th April 2009, 12:41
Didn't know you had it in you Tam! :p :

markabilly
18th April 2009, 12:43
"Maybe I didnt treat you
Quite as good as I should have
Maybe I didnt love you
Quite as often as I could have

Maybe I didnt hold you
All those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
Im so happy that youre mine
If I make you feel second best
Girl, Im sorry I was blind

You are always on my mind
You are always on my mind"

Sing it Willie!!
(BTW--I was never a fan of his until I heard himdown in Austin at the Aramadillo....the man can smoke them :s mokin: and sing all night---An excellent performer to see in a smaller setting. When he was younger, he would just show up and sing, sing and sing some more. None of the other "performers" with big egos, needing a stage and all that, are like that. Willie never did the staged "encore" becuase he would sing until 5 am 0r until everybody had gone home.

Be a fan of his or not, NEVER EVER pass up a chance to hear Willie sing it live....

But me I alwys not thinking of willie, but an old Beatle song from the 1960's or so:
When I wake up early in the morning,
Lift my head, I'm still yawning
When I'm in the middle of a dream
Stay in bed, float up stream

Please don't wake me, no
don't shake me
Leave me where I am
I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find, there's no need

Please don't spoil my day
I'm miles away
And after all
I'm only sleeping

Keeping an eye on the world going by my window
Taking my time

Lying there and staring at the ceiling
Waiting for a sleepy feeling

Please don't spoil my day
I'm miles away
And after all
I'm only sleeping

Keeping an eye on the world going by my window
Taking my time

When I wake up early in the morning,
Lift my head, I'm still yawning
When I'm in the middle of a dream
Stay in bed, float up stream

Please don't wake me, no
don't shake me
Leave me where I am
I'm only sleeping

My choices would Nakajaminutta, Nelson and Brook Johnston

wedge
18th April 2009, 14:02

Kimi outqualified Massa again so that means he's not getting the best out of the car, does it?

Would you be confident knowing that you'll be getting a new diffuser much later compared to Renault and McLaren?

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45604

Those trick diffusers are worth a hefty amount. Look at Hamilton and Alonso - in qualy trim they had top 16 cars now top 10 cars.

ioan
18th April 2009, 14:16
Those trick diffusers are worth a hefty amount. Look at Hamilton and Alonso - in qualy trim they had top 16 cars now top 10 cars.

That pretty much shows how "truthful" was Brawn when he claimed that their car's performance isn't due to the double decker diffuser! Yeah, right!

wedge
18th April 2009, 14:31
That pretty much shows how "truthful" was Brawn when he claimed that their car's performance isn't due to the double decker diffuser! Yeah, right!

That's a bit like saying Schumi only won because it was all down to Bridgestone.

You and I know that F1 is much more complicated than that.

ioan
18th April 2009, 14:35
That's a bit like saying Schumi only won because it was all down to Bridgestone.

That's what you are saying.

ioan
18th April 2009, 14:36

That's what you are saying.
However you should read my post again as I never said that they are fast only because of the diffuser, I only said that Brawn wasn't saying the truth when he said that only a DD diffuser can make the difference, which is being proved to be a lie.

MrJan
18th April 2009, 14:46
Nelson is an easy choice, even though partnering Alonso will make most people look bad.

Nakajima as well for me, the Japanese market is probably handy but what he brings in from sponsorship he sends back out on repairs :D

Trulli would probably be my other choice. He's doing alright but that Toyota has stagnated for years and I believe that no it is quick there should be other young drivers who could do better in it :) Not a popular choice but I'm all for replacing the old guard and Rubens is too damn likeable, especially when he pretends to fall over on the podium :D

I agree with Dave that Heikki is nowhere near like he was in Formula Renault but I don't think that I could sack him as he is surely waiting to come good.

jens
18th April 2009, 15:22
Trulli would probably be my other choice. He's doing alright but that Toyota has stagnated for years and I believe that no it is quick there should be other young drivers who could do better in it :) Not a popular choice but I'm all for replacing the old guard and Rubens is too damn likeable, especially when he pretends to fall over on the podium :D

I'm going to answer to you with the words that Trulli said during the launch of TF109 in answer to his career highlights: "I believe the best days are still to come." A shame that F1 is so youth-obsessed, but Jarno is showing that it shouldn't be. ;)

"Young drivers, who could do better" - I have heard that phrase for many-many years, but reality proves that only rarely such young drivers occur, who manage to seriously beat the established oldguard. That's why "oldguard" tends to stay in F1 for longer than some/many wish/expect.

My choices would Nakajaminutta, Nelson and Brook Johnston

Brook Johnston is underrated, because he is capable of impressing even if he is not driving!

UltimateDanGTR
18th April 2009, 15:33
Piquet jnr-has been awful this year, slow, too many mistakes and very inconsistent

Nakajima-not very impressed by him, he really should be higher up the grid because he has a good car, as proved by his team mate

Bourdais-in the shadow of his rookie team mate. the car is obviously quite good (although most are this year) but Buemi made it to 10th in quali, and Bourdais made it to somewhere at the back. not ogood enough im afraid

those 3 out, Senna and 2 others (Liuzzi and Klein?) to be in by the end of the season.

aryan
18th April 2009, 16:20
Piquet, Fisichella and Bourdais.

Seriously, why didn't Mercedes insist on getting di Resta a drive at Force India? What good is it to have him in DTM along Ralph Schumacher? Surely he deserves that F1 seat more than the has-been which is Fisico.

aryan
18th April 2009, 16:24
Trulli would probably be my other choice.

Really??!!

Come back when his up-and-coming team mate outscores/outqualifies him.

As far as I'm concerned, Truli has had the better measure of every one of his team mates in the past half a dozen years, including the double WDC señor Alonso.

jens
18th April 2009, 16:32
Seriously, why didn't Mercedes insist on getting di Resta a drive at Force India? What good is it to have him in DTM along Ralph Schumacher? Surely he deserves that F1 seat more than the has-been which is Fisico.

I would personally preferred to see di Resta in GP2 in 2009 before joining F1 in 2010 to get more open-wheel experience (straight jump from DTM hasn't had a good effect recently). But as he is staying in DTM, I'm afraid F1 may well turn out to be unreachable for him. :(

DexDexter
18th April 2009, 16:49
It looks like this thread is more about personal preference than driver performance for many if not most people...

janneppi
18th April 2009, 16:58
Red Bulls seem to do pretty well without them, they've been pretty fast without DD's or KERS's.

SGWilko
18th April 2009, 16:59
Tongue In Cheek mode deployed....

Driver of the number 73 bendy bus that nearly wiped me out last week.

Every black cab driver - they are all amoebae.

My dad - he used to be such a confident and fast driver, now just an old fart behind the wheel.

(Piquet, Fisichella, Raikkonen)

Sonic
18th April 2009, 17:06
Nice red dwarf ref there...... :D

UltimateDanGTR
18th April 2009, 17:41
Tongue In Cheek mode deployed....

Driver of the number 73 bendy bus that nearly wiped me out last week.

Every black cab driver - they are all amoebae.

My dad - he used to be such a confident and fast driver, now just an old fart behind the wheel.

(Piquet, Raikkonen, Fisichella)

wrong order! :D ;) but fairly good way of putting it none the less! :D

markabilly
18th April 2009, 21:05

Oh my, has the boy got some "truthful" issues with RB now he no longer makes ferrari a winner?? :bigcry:

tut tut, ferrari had their chance, but alas,
they let him walk away :(
and NOW his cars run away................. :burnout:

DexDexter
18th April 2009, 21:13

Who would you fire?

Using your logic, I would also sack Lewis Hamilton, he is clearly switched off, has only made it into top 10 once in qualifying, and doesn't seem the sort of character to stick around if his team can't find form, there are already rumours about him moving to Brawn. And he said in an interview today that he wasn't expecting much from the race, and boy it's only the third race of the season - betrays a clear lack of commitment as well........ Or could it possibly be, for both Räikkönen and Hamilton, that there is something wrong with the car and the organisation as well :)

ioan
18th April 2009, 21:29
Red Bulls seem to do pretty well without them, they've been pretty fast without DD's or KERS's.

For sure, but the Alonso's Reanult went from 10th to 2nd and Lewis' McLaren from 12th to 6th (with a half backed Toyota style diffuser).

The pace of these two cars improved by at least 0.5 seconds per lap after they bolted on on interim DD diffuser solution.

The day RBR get their version of it Brawn can kiss goodbye any chance of getting close to winning or 2nd place.
Also Renault, McLaren, BMW and Ferrari will all have a fully incorporated DD difuser design by the start of the first European race which will get them at least on par with BrawnGP, let alone Williams and Toyota who are already slower than RBR.

ioan
18th April 2009, 21:31
Oh my, has the boy got some "truthful" issues with RB now he no longer makes ferrari a winner?? :bigcry:

tut tut, ferrari had their chance, but alas,
they let him walk away :(
and NOW his cars run away................. :burnout:

Truth is a concept defined independently of Ferrari.

Now that we cleared this part, what exactly were you trying to say?

keysersoze
18th April 2009, 22:29
They all stink--fire them all. And let's get the once-fired Liuzzi in a car, as well as the unprovens, di Resta and Senna. :rolleyes:

Hell, let's put Davidson in a car so we can speculate on his firing after a couple of races.

Seriously, they are all good drivers, limited by their respective cars. How else can you explain Jenson and Rubens struggling (and often failing) to make it out of Q1 last season, and now championship contenders?

There will be several drivers up for review throughout the season, but IMO the only one who deserves to be second-guessed is Piquet.

Ranger
18th April 2009, 23:35
Fisichella, Sutil, Kovalainen, Nakajima and Bourdais have all got something to prove for next year.

aryan
18th April 2009, 23:54
For sure, but the Alonso's Reanult went from 10th to 2nd

Don't you see the fuel load? :confused: :rolleyes:

He will barely be on the track for 8 laps.

Whether that's the right strategy or not is debatable, you think it is, I think it's not. But that doesn't change the fundamental fact that the Renault doesn't have the speed in it. With or without its half-arsed DD.

markabilly
19th April 2009, 01:52
Truth is a concept defined independently of Ferrari.

Now that we cleared this part, what exactly were you trying to say?
That you have become a bitter loser, and having lost ron dennis to bash, you have acquired your old hero for that purpose

jens
19th April 2009, 06:53
For sure, but the Alonso's Reanult went from 10th to 2nd and Lewis' McLaren from 12th to 6th (with a half backed Toyota style diffuser).

The pace of these two cars improved by at least 0.5 seconds per lap after they bolted on on interim DD diffuser solution.

The day RBR get their version of it Brawn can kiss goodbye any chance of getting close to winning or 2nd place.
Also Renault, McLaren, BMW and Ferrari will all have a fully incorporated DD difuser design by the start of the first European race which will get them at least on par with BrawnGP, let alone Williams and Toyota who are already slower than RBR.

If only F1 car development was so simple and linear...

Dave B
19th April 2009, 07:04

Impossible to draw conclusions with qualifying fuel loads - especially Alonso who had less petrol than my lawnmower.

wedge
19th April 2009, 11:56
Piquet, Seabass and Fisi

Norwegian Blue
19th April 2009, 12:53
Does anyone else think that the Kimi of 3, 4 years ago would have at least got points, if not a podium today?

jens
19th April 2009, 13:01
Does anyone else think that the Kimi of 3, 4 years ago would have at least got points, if not a podium today?

Such comparisons are impossible. Besides that it's kinda unclear if Kimi really had some problems or not today.
And it's not like Kimi was flawless 3-4 years ago either. I remember him lapping slower than de la Rosa before a crash into backmarker.

christophulus
19th April 2009, 13:04

Wow, can't believe I was defending Piquet yesterday. Today was an utter embarassment, he has to go. My opinion of Bourdais and Raikkonen hasn't changed though.

Demonhill
19th April 2009, 13:19
Sebastien Bourdais
Kazuki Nakajima
Nelsinho Piquet

DexDexter
19th April 2009, 15:43

With the current car, no. I don't understand why people are bashing Kimi about Ferrari's problems, it's not his fault. He didn't design the car. Talking about world champions, Alonso and Hamilton haven't done that much either, so we have 3 world champions in trouble. Should they all be sacked?

pino
19th April 2009, 15:55
With the current car, no. I don't understand why people are bashing Kimi about Ferrari's problems, it's not his fault. He didn't design the car. Talking about world champions, Alonso and Hamilton haven't done that much either, so we have 3 world champions in trouble. Should they all be sacked?

Totally agree with you :up:

Robinho
19th April 2009, 18:49
Nelson, hands down, he was lucky to get this 2nd year and has so far looked worse than last year to me.

Fisi - its not going to get any better from back there, give it up.

Nakajima - jurys out still, he looks like he can be quick, but is well beaten by his teammate, and if i have to get rid of 3 he'd be my 3rd

Nikey
19th April 2009, 20:14
Okay, let me try. The following is completely how I see the current drivers ability.

Brawn: Drivers currently 1. and 2. in points so no chance in hell even if it's because of the best car.

Red Bull: Vettel is currently the biggest star to become and Webber propably just gets better when his leg heals to 100% so no need for change.

Toyota: Now this is more interesting. The "Trulli train" was back in business in China. Glock on the other hand has never struck me as the future champion. But their pace was good during first two races and I guess there are no better available drivers so they are safe.

McLaren: Hamilton is annoying but damn he can be fast. He tries to compensate poor car by driving too aggressive and therefore won't do well until car improves. It would still be pretty dumb to sack him 'cause when the car is right he will bounce back. Kovalainen has suffered a lot for being the n. 2 driver. Today he could have challenged Barrichello if the team had let him do so by calling him in some 5 laps later like intended. He is good enough to stay. Both of them are safe too.

BMW: Kubica was a great driver last year and he is this year. I would even go so far and say that he is a top 5 driver in the world today. Australia proved he can battle for wins. He's "off" days just are pretty awful. Heidfeld...he's been 11. in every qualification of season so far. Mediocre I would say. Kind of reminds me of Kovalainen. Good driver, forced into a shadow of a future superstar but doesn't deserve to be let go during season.

Renault: Alonso has everything a great driver needs...exept a good car. So they have to be very stoned to kick him out. Piquet on the other hand...being n. 2 driver is one thing, losing every single time, making more mistakes and being incapeble of producing any speed completely different thing. There has to be better drivers somewhere. Find them and say goodbye to this one.

Toro Rosso: Buemi really suffers from not so many test kms as rookies used to have. But he gets faster every time he drives to the track. Cheap, improving and beating teammate. Do I really need to say it? Bourdais on the other hand has yet impressed no-one. He hasn't been poor but not so great either (although some speculated that he suffers more than others from rain because of using glasses). So he could be replaced but I would wait until first dry race.

Williams: Rosberg is clearly the faster and more consistant one and since I don't think it would be wise to let go both drivers he is safe. With a little better luck he could have a lot more points. Could someone tell me what Nakajima has done to keep himself there? If nobody can come up with anything he's out of here.

Ferrari: There seems to be some bad luck following Massa. Technical failures and poor strategies. And you just can't sack someone for those reasons. Not at least after 3 races. Räikkönen just isn't worth the money. Well, actually I don't think even Senna or Schumacher would be worth that much. Even if it's rather nice to see Ferrari struggle I would advice them to do a total 180 degree turn and let Kimi have more time for his hobbies. There propably would be a few interested drivers to fill his place.

Force India: Here the pure driving skills don't really matter. Fisichella is there to bring experience and knowledge of car setup I don't know whether Fisichella is good at setting a car so I can't judge that. Sutil showed that with a bit of luck he could do very well. But since Force India is the "Minardi" of this time changing drivers really doesn't help.

So my too long answer is Piquet, Nakajima and Räikkönen. Please give me some feedback. It took me some time to write this.

COD
19th April 2009, 20:22
So easy

Piquet by a great margin. Then...

Burdais
Nakajima

DexDexter
19th April 2009, 20:27
Okay, let me try. The following is completely how I see the current drivers ability.

Brawn: Drivers currently 1. and 2. in points so no chance in hell even if it's because of the best car.

Red Bull: Vettel is currently the biggest star to become and Webber propably just gets better when his leg heals to 100% so no need for change.

Toyota: Now this is more interesting. The "Trulli train" was back in business in China. Glock on the other hand has never struck me as the future champion. But their pace was good during first two races and I guess there are no better available drivers so they are safe.

McLaren: Hamilton is annoying but damn he can be fast. He tries to compensate poor car by driving too aggressive and therefore won't do well until car improves. It would still be pretty dumb to sack him 'cause when the car is right he will bounce back. Kovalainen has suffered a lot for being the n. 2 driver. Today he could have challenged Barrichello if the team had let him do so by calling him in some 5 laps later like intended. He is good enough to stay. Both of them are safe too.

BMW: Kubica was a great driver last year and he is this year. I would even go so far and say that he is a top 5 driver in the world today. Australia proved he can battle for wins. He's "off" days just are pretty awful. Heidfeld...he's been 11. in every qualification of season so far. Mediocre I would say. Kind of reminds me of Kovalainen. Good driver, forced into a shadow of a future superstar but doesn't deserve to be let go during season.

Renault: Alonso has everything a great driver needs...exept a good car. So they have to be very stoned to kick him out. Piquet on the other hand...being n. 2 driver is one thing, losing every single time, making more mistakes and being incapeble of producing any speed completely different thing. There has to be better drivers somewhere. Find them and say goodbye to this one.

Toro Rosso: Buemi really suffers from not so many test kms as rookies used to have. But he gets faster every time he drives to the track. Cheap, improving and beating teammate. Do I really need to say it? Bourdais on the other hand has yet impressed no-one. He hasn't been poor but not so great either (although some speculated that he suffers more than others from rain because of using glasses). So he could be replaced but I would wait until first dry race.

Williams: Rosberg is clearly the faster and more consistant one and since I don't think it would be wise to let go both drivers he is safe. With a little better luck he could have a lot more points. Could someone tell me what Nakajima has done to keep himself there? If nobody can come up with anything he's out of here.

Ferrari: There seems to be some bad luck following Massa. Technical failures and poor strategies. And you just can't sack someone for those reasons. Not at least after 3 races. Räikkönen just isn't worth the money. Well, actually I don't think even Senna or Schumacher would be worth that much. Even if it's rather nice to see Ferrari struggle I would advice them to do a total 180 degree turn and let Kimi have more time for his hobbies. There propably would be a few interested drivers to fill his place.

Force India: Here the pure driving skills don't really matter. Fisichella is there to bring experience and knowledge of car setup I don't know whether Fisichella is good at setting a car so I can't judge that. Sutil showed that with a bit of luck he could do very well. But since Force India is the "Minardi" of this time changing drivers really doesn't help.

So my too long answer is Piquet, Nakajima and Räikkönen. Please give me some feedback. It took me some time to write this.

Well thought of, except I really don't understand why you hype Alonso so much and at the same time think Kimi is worthless. Alonso has made as many mistakes as Kimi this year (today for example) and Piquet is just making Alonso look better than he currently is. I mean he is a great driver but his start of the season is only slightly better than Kimi's. I think people's perception of the current situation at Ferrari is that Kimi should somehow be in front no matter what kind of car he has or manage the team cause he's got a big salary. Why aren't people judging Fernando and Hamilton the same way, they are struggling as well. But that's just my humble opinion.

jens
19th April 2009, 20:53
Why aren't people judging Fernando and Hamilton the same way, they are struggling as well. But that's just my humble opinion.

True that all three drivers are struggling in poor cars, but I have to say that Alonso and Hamilton have been impressing me more in the midfield than Räikkönen. Even if LH/FA have been making mistakes, they have always been fighting hard. Alonso was 3rd in Malaysia and was blocking way faster cars for quite long. Hamilton drove a spirited race through the field in Australia and got points from the last two races. Okay, in China he was spinning, but at least his raw pace was really good. Kimi has been more invisible and haven't seen anything impressive by him yet. In Australian GP he could have 'silently' achieved quite a good result, but spun into the wall.

Garry Walker
19th April 2009, 20:55
Piquet, Nakajima, Bourdais. Although, we can excuse Piquet because he is obviously meant to be Alonsos slave at renault

DexDexter
20th April 2009, 07:22
True that all three drivers are struggling in poor cars, but I have to say that Alonso and Hamilton have been impressing me more in the midfield than Räikkönen. Even if LH/FA have been making mistakes, they have always been fighting hard. Alonso was 3rd in Malaysia and was blocking way faster cars for quite long. Hamilton drove a spirited race through the field in Australia and got points from the last two races. Okay, in China he was spinning, but at least his raw pace was really good. Kimi has been more invisible and haven't seen anything impressive by him yet. In Australian GP he could have 'silently' achieved quite a good result, but spun into the wall.

I'm not saying that Kimi's start has been good, but he and Massa have been evenly matched, so it's bit unfair to poor everything on him. If you look at Hamilton, he lied and destroyed the athmosphere in the team (if press reports are to believed), has real trouble beating Kovalainen in quali with newer parts in the car and as you said was spinning all over the place in China and lost to Heikki who everybody wants to sack cause he is so poor.... It will be interesting to see how these big names will react to the situation, what a season are we in for!

RJL25
20th April 2009, 07:54
There are only two drivers in F1 who deserve to be sacked after only 3 rounds, and thats Piquet and Bourdais. I honestly believe that both could be gone by the next race

Ari
20th April 2009, 08:37
Bourdais, Piquet, Naka.

Writes itself.

leopard
20th April 2009, 08:43
Don't write Bourdais off, he is one wishing the red-flagged race restarted...

Storm
20th April 2009, 09:32
Piquet, Nakajima, Kovalainen

Knock-on
20th April 2009, 09:45
NP - Has never really shown any promise
SB - I have never understood the hype over Seb. He just looks out of his depth.

Can't really put hand on heart and say another but some are obviously on a bit of a dodgy wicket including HK and Naki.

stevie_gerrard
20th April 2009, 11:51
Sebastien Bourdais - always has an excuse when things aren't going well and comfortably being spanked by Buemi at the moment.

Nelson Piquet Jr - Last season, awful. This season, not much better. Please, someone else deserves his place.

Kimi Raikkonen - only because i think these 3 are the only non-performing drivers at the moment. Kimi hasn't done anything of worth, and doesnt have the right attitude for battle at the moment, which is disappointing.

Garry Walker
20th April 2009, 11:54
Kimi Raikkonen - only because i think these 3 are the only non-performing drivers at the moment. Kimi hasn't done anything of worth, and doesnt have the right attitude for battle at the moment, which is disappointing.
He has outqualified Massa who is a very very fast driver 2:1 and has been faster 2 races. So how is he not performing?
Also, could anyone explain to me how he is lacking in attitude? I mean, give me facts, not the usual BS that he doesnt smile like a retard enough and doesnt get all emotional when another idiot journalist asks another idiotic question from him.