PDA

View Full Version : Sir Clement Freud RIP

Camelopard
17th April 2009, 08:20
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8001383.stm

I'd be surprised if many people here knew of Sir Clement Freud who has died just short of his 85th birthday.

I for one have spent quite a few hours over the years listening to "Just a Minute" on the shortwave service of the BBC when off in far flung places. Thinking of those times listening to his voice still brings a smile to my face.

Rest in Peace.

MrJan
17th April 2009, 10:17
Clement was a great and clever man. RIP :(

According to the Times this morning he recently sent out invitations to his birthday party which said something along the lines of "This is to remind you of the time, place and date - although you may want to keep an eye on the obituaries column" :laugh: Sadly he turned out to be right.

Dave B
17th April 2009, 13:06
A brilliant dry wit, who sounded so flat and serious that it would be easy to overlook him until you realised that he was phenomenally clever at making you laugh. For anybody unaware of his recent work, search for episodes of Radio 4's Just A Minute on which he was a regular panellist.

ArrowsFA1
17th April 2009, 15:28
Sad news. RIP :(

Probably not what he'd want to be remembered for but I do remember him in tv adverts for Minced Morsels alongside a dog called Henry :)

BDunnell
19th April 2009, 13:28
He was utterly magnificent, and I cannot think of anyone in public life who had such a varied career. As a politician, he was very much ahead of his time when it came to legislation he attempted to introduce.

It's such a shame there isn't a radio version of YouTube, otherwise I would urge you all to listen to him completing a whole minute on the subject of 'Auld Reekie' on Just A Minute. A veritable masterclass of language.

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 18:18
I have never heard of him...but I wish I had heard him now....

19th April 2009, 18:42
"A lady said 'let's go upstairs and make love'.....I told her, at my age, it was either one or the other"

BDunnell
19th April 2009, 19:35
From a recent Just A Minute, on bumping into a woman's chest with his arm in a hotel lift:

"I said, 'If your heart is as soft as your bosom, you will forgive me', to which she replied, 'If your penis is as hard as your elbow, I'm in room 364'."

Rollo
20th April 2009, 02:40
I happen to love the fact that when he was elected MP for the Ilse of Ely, he won £33,000 because he'd put £1000 on himself to win the election.

Sir Clement's death was announced in Walsall, Lowestoft, Bolton, Norwich... does anyone want to buzz me for "listing" yet?

driveace
20th April 2009, 19:03
Funny guy,deadpan dog too R.I.P.

BDunnell
20th April 2009, 19:36
Sir Clement's death was announced in Walsall, Lowestoft, Bolton, Norwich... does anyone want to buzz me for "listing" yet?

Excellent. One of my favourite moments on Just A Minute was when he spoke on the subject of hustings: "My constituency was in Cambridgeshire, but I spoke on hustings in Devon, Cornwall, Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland and all over Scotland..." You knew he was about to do it, but it was still very, very funny.