PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Trib givin' The 500 some love !!!

ChicagocrewIRL
15th April 2009, 06:02
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-trav-indy-0412apr12,0,498895.story

What a great article about the 500 and at a totally unexpected random time. THANK YOU CHICAGO TRIBUNE !!!!

F1boat
15th April 2009, 06:47
Great article...

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 13:49
Good to see someone write something positive. However, I hate when they give incorrect facts.

Indy is NOT the single biggest sporting event in the world. There are numerous others that are larger.

ChicagocrewIRL
17th April 2009, 18:22
Good to see someone write something positive. However, I hate when they give incorrect facts.

Indy is NOT the single biggest sporting event in the world. There are numerous others that are larger.

Oh gawd... here we go again.... such as what ? What is a larger single day sporting event than the 500 ??? I hate when they post that facts are incorrect when in fact they are correct.

"The Indianapolis 500 is the world's largest single-day sporting event, drawing a race-day crowd estimated at more than 350,000. The Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway is held before some 180,000 fans."

This is from the NASCAR website!!!

"While the official attendance is not disclosed by Speedway management, with a permanent seating capacity for more than 257,000 people and infield seating that raises capacity further to an approximate 400,000, it is the largest single-day sporting event in the world.[1]"

From Wikipedia citing World Stadium.com

get it right before posting please thank you

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 18:29
Oh gawd... here we go again.... such as what ? What is a larger single day sporting event than the 500 ??? I hate when they post that facts are incorrect when in fact they are correct.

"The Indianapolis 500 is the world's largest single-day sporting event, drawing a race-day crowd estimated at more than 350,000. The Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway is held before some 180,000 fans."

This is from the NASCAR website!!!

"While the official attendance is not disclosed by Speedway management, with a permanent seating capacity for more than 257,000 people and infield seating that raises capacity further to an approximate 400,000, it is the largest single-day sporting event in the world.[1]"

From Wikipedia citing World Stadium.com

get it right before posting please thank you

Where was it stated that it was track attendance that made it the biggest in the world? Are you assuming this to be the case because if so, then that is a very small and paltry argument to elevate the event.

garyshell
17th April 2009, 18:46
Where was it stated that it was track attendance that made it the biggest in the world? Are you assuming this to be the case because if so, then that is a very small and paltry argument to elevate the event.

Well we must have all been using the wrong criteria all these years. Since you are obviously the expert on this, please tell us the correct criteria we should all be using then.

Gary

garyshell
17th April 2009, 18:55
According to the Wall Street Journal:
So what’s the best-attended single-venue, annual, paid, single-day sporting event? By many accounts, it’s the Indianapolis 500, held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with more than 250,000 seats. In 2004, the Indianapolis Star mounted a formal count of seats, something race officials never had done, and after adding in staff and attendees on the infield grass, calculated a total capacity of nearly 268,000 when the race sells out.

WSJ article (http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/which-sporting-event-is-the-best-attended-186/)

Gary

ChicagocrewIRL
17th April 2009, 19:12

SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT OTHER EVENT (S) ARE BIGGER ????

gawd why do we have to go through this every year. <sigh>

The article in the Trib states it is "The world's largest SINGLE DAY sporting event" This FACT is not in dispute.

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 21:09
SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT OTHER EVENT (S) ARE BIGGER ????

gawd why do we have to go through this every year. <sigh>

The article in the Trib states it is "The world's largest SINGLE DAY sporting event" This FACT is not in dispute.

Sigh as much as you want to. The article says without mention of anything other than the fact that it is the as you quoted "the worlds largest single day sporting event". I stated it isn't which seems to have caused you a slight case of hysteria. For one, there are umpteen stages of the Tour de France that have more than a million spectators along the routes. Then you have the Tour de Flanders and the Paris Roubaix. Those are just mere cycling events and both have larger audiences on single days.
Now take into consideration if it was mentioned that they were paid for attendance and the argument is different. The numbers given by the the Indy 500 people is always subjective since they do not give the numbers. So you must have to guess and become irritated when someone points out that it is not "the biggest single event in the world".

Gary, since you pulled the data from the wall street journal and used their method, is that what the Tribune stated and is that what you have been using yourself or just what you feel is apropos at this time?

If that is the criteria used by all which I doubt then there may be merit. However, since nobody knows the exact figures I stand by the argument that it is not the single most biggest sporting event in the world since the World Soccer Cup is larger taking in TV as well as seating at the stadium.

ChicagocrewIRL
17th April 2009, 21:24
Sigh as much as you want to. The article says without mention of anything other than the fact that it is the as you quoted "the worlds largest single day sporting event". I stated it isn't which seems to have caused you a slight case of hysteria. For one, there are umpteen stages of the Tour de France that have more than a million spectators along the routes. Then you have the Tour de Flanders and the Paris Roubaix. Those are just mere cycling events and both have larger audiences on single days.
Now take into consideration if it was mentioned that they were paid for attendance and the argument is different. The numbers given by the the Indy 500 people is always subjective since they do not give the numbers. So you must have to guess and become irritated when someone points out that it is not "the biggest single event in the world".

Gary, since you pulled the data from the wall street journal and used their method, is that what the Tribune stated and is that what you have been using yourself or just what you feel is apropos at this time?

If that is the criteria used by all which I doubt then there may be merit. However, since nobody knows the exact figures I stand by the argument that it is not the single most biggest sporting event in the world since the World Soccer Cup is larger taking in TV as well as seating at the stadium.

I give up . ya ya ya the 500 is just bunch of mooks hangin around a track every mem day weekend AAAAAARGRGRGRGHHHH .

go watch your tour de frack and worthles cup soccer scrums . I don't know why I myself get fished into these worthless matches. shame on me

garyshell
17th April 2009, 21:29

I'd say it pretty much defines how MOST folks would do so, if asked the question. I believe most would assume it meant paid attendance and would not be including tv coverage. But feel free to spin it however you wish. Most references you will find on any internet search index are defining it the same way as the WSJ and the Tribune was obviously assuming.

How did YOU define it BEFORE the split?

Gary

Alexamateo
17th April 2009, 21:49
I think you need to remember that you are arguing over hyperbole in a travel article. These are the same folks that will write "Such and Such Place has the most beautiful beaches in the world." Hyperbole goes with the territory.

Regardless, the Indianapolis 500 is one of the largest single day sporting events by anyone's definition. The largest?, Well, feel free to debate, but it still merits consideration.

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 23:29
I'd say it pretty much defines how MOST folks would do so, if asked the question. I believe most would assume it meant paid attendance and would not be including tv coverage. But feel free to spin it however you wish. Most references you will find on any internet search index are defining it the same way as the WSJ and the Tribune was obviously assuming.

How did YOU define it BEFORE the split?

Gary

I would beg to differ. If they include as mentioned before the million + at the Tour of Flanders I doubt if anyone is asking about the cost.

Until you Googled the article in and got the same as I did earlier pertaining to paid attendance I would hazard a pretty decent guess that you never even thought of including cost.

Oh, and by the way, take into consideration the Monaco GP in F1. They do not count the figures of those staying in hotels and yachts but if considered the GP is better attended than Indy.

Before any split I defined it attendance as those watching the race at the site. If the seats were full , who gives a damn how they got there. Did you include the Marlboro give away's when you saw an attendance or just say it was 65,000 minus the 5,000 Marlboro people which gives you a figure of 60,000. Attendance in it's simplest form is one that attends an event. No cost is mentioned.

garyshell
18th April 2009, 03:25
I would beg to differ. If they include as mentioned before the million + at the Tour of Flanders I doubt if anyone is asking about the cost.

As if anyone in the US besides bicyclists have ever even heard of the Tour of Flanders.

Until you Googled the article in and got the same as I did earlier pertaining to paid attendance I would hazard a pretty decent guess that you never even thought of including cost.

Since you are convinced that you can now read my mind and you are obviously the go to expert on the publics' definition of the largest single day sporting event, I give up you are right. Feel better now? (Just for the record, you were wrong about what I thought.)

Gary

Gluaistean
18th April 2009, 12:36
As if anyone in the US besides bicyclists have ever even heard of the Tour of Flanders.

Since you are convinced that you can now read my mind and you are obviously the go to expert on the publics' definition of the largest single day sporting event, I give up you are right. Feel better now? (Just for the record, you were wrong about what I thought.)

Gary

The Tour of Flanders whether you ever heard of it or not exists and with your comment pertaining to it you have made (inadvertently) a wild assertion. That is something is important and bigger if A/ US population have heard of it and B/ that because it it professional cycling, one of the oldest and toughest of sports it is of no consequence because the US never heard of it. My my such xenophobic thoughts.

Everytime you get rattled and use sarcasm to try to create an argument you lose, Gary. Just refute my comments based upon your opinion and have a civil discussion. This over and back childishness is sickenening and exists too much on this forum.

If you want to go along with paid customers at an event for one day , then I would have to agree that the 500 would be hard to beat. However, with that said there are others that are as big that actually do release the figures.

UEFA Champions League final in Russia last year had 80,000 paying customers at the stadium and more than 250,000 outside watching the jumo screens. All paid and accounted for.

Let's keep it civil as I happen to enjoy your comments.

garyshell
18th April 2009, 16:20
The Tour of Flanders whether you ever heard of it or not exists and with your comment pertaining to it you have made (inadvertently) a wild assertion. That is something is important and bigger if A/ US population have heard of it and B/ that because it it professional cycling, one of the oldest and toughest of sports it is of no consequence because the US never heard of it. My my such xenophobic thoughts.

I never said it was of no consequence, I said no one has heard of it. Once again, you are trying to read my mind. Trust me if I thought it was of no consequence I would have said so. You should know, by now, I don't hold back with what I think. The point, I was trying to make was that if no one has heard of it, how can you expect it to be on anyone's radar when discussing the biggest single one day sporting event?

Everytime you get rattled and use sarcasm to try to create an argument you lose, Gary. Just refute my comments based upon your opinion and have a civil discussion. This over and back childishness is sickenening and exists too much on this forum.

I did TRY to do that and you immediately projected your own meaning to it.

If you want to go along with paid customers at an event for one day , then I would have to agree that the 500 would be hard to beat. However, with that said there are others that are as big that actually do release the figures.

UEFA Champions League final in Russia last year had 80,000 paying customers at the stadium and more than 250,000 outside watching the jumo screens. All paid and accounted for.

I wonder why those numbers don't appear in any of the reference material about this topic. Maybe too recent and they haven't been updated.

Let's keep it civil as I happen to enjoy your comments.

You're right, the last sentence in my previous reply was a bit snarky. I apologize, it was one of THOSE days and you got the brunt. That was not fair. Sorry.

Gary

Gluaistean
18th April 2009, 17:36
Accepted. Takes a man to admit their own errors as I also apologize for some polarizing comments.

Lol, I even complemented myself.