PDA

View Full Version : Lets Get Ready to Rumble - Mugdisho Style

Roamy
11th April 2009, 16:30
Well I am certainly bewildered why anyone would sail a ship into pirate infested waters without being heavily armed. So they kill the captain soon and we spend 50 billion sinking stinking row boats off the coast of Somali.

Well at least maybe the French will step up after they killed one of their own.
Oh Bullsh!t what am I saying - The French will probably send wine!!

markabilly
11th April 2009, 16:34
Send Eki, he can stop off on his way to visit his goof friend

Ahmadinejado

Roamy
11th April 2009, 16:39
Markabilly
Knock it off this thread is not supposed to have sexual overtones !!

Daniel
11th April 2009, 17:25
Yes because the last time you were in Mogadishu it was a ****ing cakewalk :laugh:

Well at least you'll be doing something for the credit crunch by giving Hollywood something to make a movie about :)

Jag_Warrior
11th April 2009, 17:35
As far as the merchant ships being armed, as I understand it, their insurance carriers prohibit this. Maybe there is another explanation as well. But that's what was reported on Bloomberg a few months ago. On a CNBC report, a representative from Blackwater (yeah, that Blackwater) stated that a shipping company had hired them to do security work in that area. He wouldn't go into specifics, but it was assumed that armed Blackwater personnel would sail on ships that would appear to be merchant vessels, but really weren't. And they would basically blow the hell out of anyone in a row boat that approached with AK's and RPG's. Sounds satisfying. But I'm not sure how effective a "one at a time" solution will be.

But the area where these incidents are taking place is supposedly four times the size of Texas. So it's not a simple matter of being able to see these small boats and escaping an RPG before it's too late.

Roamy
11th April 2009, 17:41
As far as the merchant ships being armed, as I understand it, their insurance carriers prohibit this. Maybe there is another explanation as well. But that's what was reported on Bloomberg a few months ago. On a CNBC report, a representative from Blackwater (yeah, that Blackwater) stated that a shipping company had hired them to do security work in that area. He wouldn't go into specifics, but it was assumed that armed Blackwater personnel would sail on ships that would appear to be merchant vessels, but really weren't. And they would basically blow the hell out of anyone in a row boat that approached with AK's and RPG's. Sounds satisfying. But I'm not sure how effective a "one at a time" solution will be.

But the area where these incidents are taking place is supposedly four times the size of Texas. So it's not a simple matter of being able to see these small boats and escaping an RPG before it's too late.

Give me a break - with our technology we can see all of this clear as day.
The insurance company needs to get their ass over there and pay up!!

This is a world joke - probably meant to take the eye off the financial mess.
Pay me a couple of million to command and you won't have any piracy issues I can guarantee you that

Daniel
11th April 2009, 18:02

A US merchant navy captain on the news here likened it to a convenience store being held up. It's far better for safety and less costly for the clerk just to hand over the money than be a hero. Plus if you start to arm the ships then the pirates will just arm themselves more heavily.

Roamy
11th April 2009, 18:43
Daniel you are so far out of touch with modern anti-piracy techniques

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2009, 19:24
Check this story out: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/04/05/canada-pirates.html

To talk about how bold these guys are getting, HMCS Winnpeg was transiting the area doing duty for NATO to keep an eye on things. The Winnipeg is a missle Frigate with helicopter for ASW work. This isn't a little tug boat. Apparently they were in the area near an oil tanker and more or less keeping course with it when they spotted 3 pirate boats heading towards the this tanker, the Pacific Opal. The sent the chopper out with a sign basically hanging off the boat with a message for the pirates that basically said "stop and forget it, or maybe we will just take your @ss out" or something to that effect. The Pirates, realizing it was a Naval ship that was right on the scene thought the better of it, but they did take a run at a German Naval vessel in the area as well.

Now if these punks want to take on a Western navy ship, I say let them try and let us have the privledge of taking them out.

People can bemoan the use of force and the consequences of war all they want, but pirates who are swimming for their lives don't hijack ships. You want the problem solved, eliminate the people causing it. Enough is enough already....

Daniel
11th April 2009, 19:30
Check this story out: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/04/05/canada-pirates.html

To talk about how bold these guys are getting, HMCS Winnpeg was transiting the area doing duty for NATO to keep an eye on things. The Winnipeg is a missle Frigate with helicopter for ASW work. This isn't a little tug boat. Apparently they were in the area near an oil tanker and more or less keeping course with it when they spotted 3 pirate boats heading towards the this tanker, the Pacific Opal. The sent the chopper out with a sign basically hanging off the boat with a message for the pirates that basically said "stop and forget it, or maybe we will just take your @ss out" or something to that effect. The Pirates, realizing it was a Naval ship that was right on the scene thought the better of it, but they did take a run at a German Naval vessel in the area as well.

Now if these punks want to take on a Western navy ship, I say let them try and let us have the privledge of taking them out.

People can bemoan the use of force and the consequences of war all they want, but pirates who are swimming for their lives don't hijack ships. You want the problem solved, eliminate the people causing it. Enough is enough already....
Yeah and you know better than a fricking captain of a ship. Lay of the wack baccy mate :)

Daniel
11th April 2009, 19:31
Daniel you are so far out of touch with modern anti-piracy techniques
Yeah and you know better than the Captain of a bloody ship.

Lay off the wacky baccy mate :)

Daniel
11th April 2009, 19:33

I agree :up:

If they do get chance to use for against these pirates they need to use deadly force and take them out. But there's not much you can do once they're on the ship.

Jag_Warrior
11th April 2009, 19:43
Give me a break - with our technology we can see all of this clear as day.
The insurance company needs to get their ass over there and pay up!!

This is a world joke - probably meant to take the eye off the financial mess.
Pay me a couple of million to command and you won't have any piracy issues I can guarantee you that

I'm just relating what was reported. I'm not a maritime law or insurance expert. But the shipping companies have to have insurance in order to operate, and the insurance companies set conditions.

As far as technology (satellite?), I'd say there are bigger fish to fry in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea, China and Russia than this. There's only so much to go around.

Knowing that Blackwater is less hampered than the average military force, that seems like a good way to go. The only problem is, there aren't that many of them. But several countries now have warships near the area. Trouble is, like I said, the area is four times the size of Texas. Until someone whips out an AK, RPK or an RPG, how would anyone know a pirate boat from a fishing boat???

Roamy
11th April 2009, 19:46
don't ask - don't tell

Roamy
11th April 2009, 19:47
Yeah and you know better than the Captain of a bloody ship.

Lay off the wacky baccy mate :)

Frankly I do know - thats why I wouldn't be a captain on a unarmed ship in the middle of pirate land

Daniel
11th April 2009, 19:50
Frankly I do know - thats why I wouldn't be a captain on a unarmed ship in the middle of pirate land

Way to not answer my question :up: :rotflmao:

Anyhoo you're just as much of a chicken**** as anyone else here. I bet you'd crap your pants just as quick as anyone else if faced with some pirates boarding your ship. Quit the internet tough guy thing and see the sense in the way that these ships operate. They should know and they do know and you don't.

Daniel
11th April 2009, 19:55
I'm just relating what was reported. I'm not a maritime law or insurance expert. But the shipping companies have to have insurance in order to operate, and the insurance companies set conditions.

As far as technology (satellite?), I'd say there are bigger fish to fry in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea, China and Russia than this. There's only so much to go around.

Knowing that Blackwater is less hampered than the average military force, that seems like a good way to go. The only problem is, there aren't that many of them. But several countries now have warships near the area. Trouble is, like I said, the area is four times the size of Texas. Until someone whips out an AK, RPK or an RPG, how would anyone know a pirate boat from a fishing boat???

Hurrah for common sense! Guys like Fousto just want to talk about going to dangerous places and kicking donkey without thinking about the practicalities of it all and of course how legal it is. I'm all for navies shooting the crap out of pirates but like you say it's got to be done right.

Jag_Warrior
11th April 2009, 20:07
don't ask - don't tell

You just suggested a Clinton era solution. Go wash your mouth out and say 5 Hail Mary's... quick! :D

The problem is, the insurance companies likely ask or set conditions - I know mine have written conditions that I either follow or risk not having a claim paid or the policy cancelled. And the shipping companies likely have written policies for employees. So it would be up to the captain to (secretly) arm the crew and make sure they had sufficient training to use the weapons. A semi-auto Barrett M82, in well trained hands, could easily take out a threat from 1000 meters +. But the people on these ships aren't necessarily trained to assess threats... until it's too late. And once on board, there again, the crew would have to have some sort of paramilitary training to know how to engage targets at relatively close range. Giving an MP5 to Paco the deckhand might not produce the best results.

Daniel
11th April 2009, 20:09
You just suggested a Clinton era solution. Go wash your mouth out and say 5 Hail Mary's... quick! :D

The problem is, the insurance companies likely ask or set conditions - I know mine have written conditions that I either follow or risk not having a claim paid or the policy cancelled. And the shipping companies likely have written policies for employees. So it would be up to the captain to (secretly) arm the crew and make sure they had sufficient training to use the weapons. A semi-auto Barrett M82, in well trained hands, could easily take out a threat from 1000 meters +. But the people on these ships aren't necessarily trained to assess threats... until it's too late. And once on board, there again, the crew would have to have some sort of paramilitary training to know how to engage targets at relatively close range. Giving an MP5 to Paco the deckhand might not produce the best results.
Seriously dude, if you use your brain again on this forum and come up with another sensible post again I will report you! :p

Jag_Warrior
11th April 2009, 20:15
Hurrah for common sense! Guys like Fousto just want to talk about going to dangerous places and kicking donkey without thinking about the practicalities of it all and of course how legal it is. I'm all for navies shooting the crap out of pirates but like you say it's got to be done right.

Yeah, I'm all for giving them the hell they deserve. But I think it's a lot more complicated than just passing out weapons to the crews of these ships. Wasn't there a cruiseliner that was taken over? Can you imagine the tremendous FUBAR that could result if a cruise ship was armed? You could have thousands killed in that fire fight.

If they can hunt several of them down and make the Somali funny papers every time they kill a boat load of these kooks, I'd say there will be fewer incidents. But even the mighty Roman empire had a pirate problem (and the Romans didn't exactly go easy on those who crossed them). So I don't see the problem ever going away. The best that can be done is to contain it as much as possible.

Jag_Warrior
11th April 2009, 20:26
Seriously dude, if you use your brain again on this forum and come up with another sensible post again I will report you! :p

Just don't tell Ioan. I think that he's convinced that I'm insane... and I'd hate to spoil that. :cool:

EuroTroll
11th April 2009, 20:37
Anyhoo you're just as much of a chicken as anyone else here.

Yeah, Fousto was sent to 'Nam - if I remember correctly. So maybe, just maybe he knows a little more about combat than your average internet "tough guy" (including me)? :)

That's not to say that I agree with anything he writes, though. :)

But a man who has seen battle action deserves a bit of respect, in my view.

Daniel
11th April 2009, 20:44
Yeah, Fousto was sent to 'Nam - if I remember correctly. So maybe, just maybe he knows a little more about combat than your average internet "tough guy" (including me)?

Fousto has been to 'nam? :) I didn't know that! If I'd known that I used it as evidence against him in all those threads where he suggests military solutions to political problems :)

Anyhoo respect to Fousto for serving in 'nam but I still don't agree with most of what he says ;)

BDunnell
11th April 2009, 20:47

I don't agree that their opinions bear any more credence than anyone else's.

anthonyvop
11th April 2009, 20:57
Arming commercial freighters is a logistical nightmare. It would cause major paperwork and headaches at every port of call.

Not to mention the whole mutiny thing.

EuroTroll
11th April 2009, 20:59
I don't agree that their opinions bear any more credence than anyone else's.

I wasn't saying that they do. :) I just thought it inappropriate that he'd be called "as chicken**** as everyone else here". :) As he might be the only one on this forum who actually knows what battle is like.

No slight at you Daniel, you didn't know..

Like I said, I also (almost) never agree with Fousto, but if he in fact was sent to 'Nam (i.e. if I do remember correctly (from some discussion ages ago)), then...

You know...

Don't call him chicken****. ;)

Just call what he writes bull****. ;) :p :

Tazio
11th April 2009, 21:17
I don't know how policy works exactly. It could be the decision of the Ship Line.
However, my late Father was a navigator in the U.S. Merchant Marine.
He told me due to the piracy going on in port in Argentina, right after the Falkland conflict.
He was issued instructed to wear a sidearm when he was the SOP,
and actually drew it one night when heard someone in the hold who didn't identify himself upon his first request.
Fortunately it was a friendly!

Roamy
11th April 2009, 21:19
Yeah, now Fousto may be a cranky old lunatic (hi Fousto :wave: :p : ), but he was sent to 'Nam - if I remember correctly. So maybe, just maybe he knows a little more about combat than your average internet "tough guy" (including me)? :)

Thank you :p

EuroTroll
11th April 2009, 21:26
Thank you :p

You're very welcome. ;)

Yeah, I just remembered what one local historian once said - "Those who have never been under fire have no idea what it's like."

So... respect to you, my good man, I hope your life is going well, and...

Do keep posting your wonderful and oh-so-disagreeable views! :D

:p :

BDunnell
11th April 2009, 21:26
Arming commercial freighters is a logistical nightmare. It would cause major paperwork and headaches at every port of call.

It's a rare thing, but I agree absolutely with you. It would be deeply counter-productive.

BDunnell
11th April 2009, 21:27
I wasn't saying that they do. :) I just thought it inappropriate that he'd be called "as chicken**** as everyone else here". :) As he might be the only one on this forum who actually knows what battle is like.

Like I said, I also (almost) never agree with Fousto, but if he in fact was sent to 'Nam (i.e. if I do remember correctly (from some discussion ages ago)), then...

You know...

Fair points!

Roamy
11th April 2009, 21:28
thanks again

Well one thing we could to is between two points put around 5 marines on each of our ships - 5 may be a few too many but certainly would do the trick.

Eki
11th April 2009, 21:32
Yeah, now Fousto may be a cranky old lunatic (hi Fousto :wave: :p : ), but he was sent to 'Nam - if I remember correctly. So maybe, just maybe he knows a little more about combat than your average internet "tough guy" (including me)? :)

Maybe he didn't see battle action enough. Most of the Finnish war veterans I've heard interviewed seemed to have wished there never would be war again. Even one who volunteered at the age of 13 the winning "white" side of the Finnish civil war in 1918 admitted he was fooled by the propaganda and may not have volunteered if he had known then what he knew at the time of the interview. The Finnish civil war was very cruel. And my mother's cousin committed suicide after serving in the Vietnam war, so it probably wasn't a pick nick for him either.

BDunnell
11th April 2009, 21:33
thanks again

Well one thing we could to is between two points put around 5 marines on each of our ships - 5 may be a few too many but certainly would do the trick.

A bit like sky marshals, almost?

Roamy
11th April 2009, 21:38
yep it would do the trick especially if you had a few ships in the area with apaches sitting on the deck.

All you would need to do is display the flag and you would pass no sweat!!

Daniel
11th April 2009, 21:57

Rare moment for me too. I completely agree with you :up:

Easy Drifter
11th April 2009, 22:16
Folks the anawer is simple.
We just need to send someone to explain to those nasty ol' pirates that they are naughty and should cease and desist.
I am sure that would work.

I nominate Eki. If nothing else he would drive them crazy and spare us.

Eki
11th April 2009, 22:27
Folks the anawer is simple.
We just need to send someone to explain to those nasty ol' pirates that they are naughty and should cease and desist.
I am sure that would work.

I nominate Eki. If nothing else he would drive them crazy and spare us.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Easy Drifter
11th April 2009, 22:39
As usual your post makes no sense.
Trouble with trying to debate with you is it is difficult to deal with a person of so little comprehension of the real world and lacking in common sense.
I was going to add a sarcastic comment but then realized that it would be too complex for you to comprehend.

Easy Drifter
12th April 2009, 05:13
HMCS Winnipeg has stopped three attempted hijackings in the last week. In two cases her Sea King Helicopter arrived on the scene and warned the approaching boats off. Although primarily a search and rescue and anti submarine chopper they do carry a .50 caliber machine gun. The Somalis left the area in both cases.
The last case occurred when the Winnipeg was fairly close by and once the Somali boats were spotted by the Sea King the Winnipeg arrived nearby and sent out an armed boarding team in darkness. They were able to get fairly close to the Somali pirates before they were spotted and saw the Somalis getting rid of their guns by throwing them overboard.
Any Cdn. warship operating in those waters carries a team of 'boarders' especially trained in that type of operation and they are heavily armed. Of course, the Somalis also had to know that the parent ship, HMCS Winnipeg, was very close by. The pirates are not stupid enough to try and take on a warship.
The Winnipeg is described as a multi purpose patrol Frigate. Although not originally armed with machine guns they are now equipped with 6x.50 caliber machine guns in addition to their 57mm and 20mm cannon and carry missles both surface to air and surface to surface. Torpedoes are also carried as do the Sea Kings. The top speed of her class of frigate is 30 knots although apparently they have exceeded that speed.

janvanvurpa
12th April 2009, 06:48

You know...

Recall harder old friend.
I am fairly certain he said he was was a medic, and never near combat.

That's why he's so diligently trying to make up for not shooting then by continually talking about shooting and "taking out" whole populations now.
We see the same loud noises from nearly all the non-combat vets.

Less than 1 in 10 Americans in the Army during Vietnam years was in combat then.

Now, they were all LURPs or SEALS.

Oi.

Camelopard
12th April 2009, 08:55

That's why he's so diligently trying to make up for not shooting then by continually talking about shooting and "taking out" whole populations now.

Less than 1 in 10 Americans in the Army during Vietnam years was in combat then.

Oi.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Daniel
12th April 2009, 09:56

Oi.
That reminds me of this line from the Simpsons

Man with Eye Patch: Lost this eye in Haiti. I was drinking a Mai Tai, and I forgot to take the little parasol out.

EuroTroll
12th April 2009, 13:34

Ok. :) So I did remember wrong. Sorry for bringing it up then, Fousto. Serving as medic is also, of course, very honourable, but it does rather deprive you of the proposed distinction of having combat experience. :)

And advocating the wiping out of whole populations? Naughty, naughty. :p :

Eki
12th April 2009, 16:06

Oi.
I knew SEALS, but I had to look up LURPs (sounds like a dog with a long and wet tongue):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Reconnaissance_Patrol

Garry Walker
12th April 2009, 16:52
A US merchant navy captain on the news here likened it to a convenience store being held up. It's far better for safety and less costly for the clerk just to hand over the money than be a hero. Plus if you start to arm the ships then the pirates will just arm themselves more heavily.

Were you one of those who in one thread ages ago claimed that if you were burglared, you would simply give the burglar anything he wanted and would not fight back at all, even if the burglar was unarmed?

Anyhoo you're just as much of a chicken**** as anyone else here. I bet you'd crap your pants just as quick as anyone else if faced with some pirates boarding your ship.
Not everyone is like you.

Eki
12th April 2009, 17:20
Were you one of those who in one thread ages ago claimed that if you were burglared, you would simply give the burglar anything he wanted and would not fight back at all, even if the burglar was unarmed?

If the burglar was unarmed, I'd call the police right away and not just after he's left. That's the right thing to do, because if you end up hurting the burglar you might get a harsher penalty than the burglar.

Daniel
12th April 2009, 17:22
If the burglar was unarmed, I'd call the police right away and not just after he's left. That's the right thing to do, because if you end up hurting the burglar you might get a harsher penalty than the burglar.
Wuss! I'd kill the guy, get put in jail, get bummed by bubba and his friends and not be able to do anything when I get out of jail because of my criminal record. Woo yeah!

Roamy
12th April 2009, 19:12
War is something all of you who haven't been can only hope you never go. But if you do and are not some weirded psycho you will come back with a new understanding of survival Yes I am thankful my day job was not scrambling through the jungle but I definitely got enough to last me a lifetime.

Roamy
12th April 2009, 19:30
Outstanding

American sea Captain Richard Phillips was safely rescued Sunday from four Somali pirates, who had been holding him for days in a lifeboat off the coast of Africa, a U.S. intelligence official said.

Three of the pirates were killed and one was in custody after what appeared to be a swift firefight off the Somali coast, the official said.

Initial reports indicate Phillips jumped overboard for a second time and the military was able to take advantage of the situation.

Daniel
12th April 2009, 19:38
Outstanding

American sea Captain Richard Phillips was safely rescued Sunday from four Somali pirates, who had been holding him for days in a lifeboat off the coast of Africa, a U.S. intelligence official said.

Three of the pirates were killed and one was in custody after what appeared to be a swift firefight off the Somali coast, the official said.

Initial reports indicate Phillips jumped overboard for a second time and the military was able to take advantage of the situation.
Good stuff :up:

I bet Eki wishes they rescued the Somali's, killed the Captain and so on and so forth

Roamy
12th April 2009, 20:14
i will be interested to hear the whole ordeal. Apparently the Captain jumped into the water and the navy blasted the pirates before they had a chance to do anything.

Roamy
12th April 2009, 21:41
US snipers took them out !!! Way to go US !!!!!!

Easy Drifter
12th April 2009, 21:46
Good for the US NAVY.
Maybe now the rest of the naval forces in the area will be released from the 'Rules of Engagement' that do not allow them to open fire until fired upon or in danger.
China and India's Naval Forces are not constrained by those rules.
France and the US now seem to have bent them a little.
I am sure the sailors on HMCS Winnipeg would love to have opened fire or at least had the authority to take the suspected Pirates in custody for 'questioning'.

cdn_grampa
12th April 2009, 23:49
Does this guy realize what he is dealing with ,and I don't mean just the US ??

Taking these guys out doesn't exactly constitute a moral dilemma.

Canadian Press Quote:

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, said that the killing of the three pirates was "a painful experience."

"This is unfortunate action and our friends should have done more to kill the captain before they were killed. This will be a good lesson for us," Habeb told The Associated Press from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl.

Residents of Harardhere, another port and pirate stronghold, were gathering in the streets after news of the captain's release, saying they fear pirates may now retaliate against some of the hostages they still hold.

"We fear more that any revenge taken by the pirates against foreign nationals could bring more attacks from the foreign navies, perhaps on our villages," Abdullahi Haji Jama, who owns a clothes store in Harardhere, said by telephone.

Jag_Warrior
13th April 2009, 01:34
US snipers took them out !!! Way to go US !!!!!!

Navy SEAL's (and Army Rangers too) are something else.

Of couse, the first thing that crossed my mind was, what kinds of weapons did they use? From what was said by a former SEAL on CNN, they possess some sort of self-leveling fire control technology to account for the movement of the waves, etc. He said he couldn't go into details. So even in choppy seas, they could still f' your day all up. :eek:

Daniel
13th April 2009, 01:34
Navy SEAL's (and Army Rangers too) are something else.

Of couse, the first thing that crossed my mind was, what kinds of weapons did they use? From what was said by a former SEAL on CNN, they possess some sort of self-leveling fire control technology to account for the movement of the waves, etc. He said he couldn't go into details. So even in choppy seas, they could still f' your day all up. :eek:
Well if he wasn't in the liferaft they could have used anything really :)

RaceFanStan
13th April 2009, 02:48
Those US Navy snipers must be some good shots, head shots on all 3 dead pirates. :eek:

... A senior defense official told CNN that each pirate was shot in the head ... http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/12/somalia.pirates/index.html

Jag_Warrior
13th April 2009, 03:06
Well if he wasn't in the liferaft they could have used anything really :)

On a steady platform, sure. But in choppy seas, 3 shots... all to the heads of the targets? Let's say the distance was just the 82 feet length of the towline. Considering the seas, that's pretty amazing. The former SEAL that was interviewed wouldn't give the details on how this technology worked.

Seas in the area were getting rough at the time of the rescue, Gortney said, and the Bainbridge was towing the lifeboat presumably to calmer waters with a towline about 82 feet long.

A senior defense official told CNN that each pirate was shot in the head.

veeten
13th April 2009, 22:01
Does this guy realize what he is dealing with ,and I don't mean just the US ??

Taking these guys out doesn't exactly constitute a moral dilemma.

Canadian Press Quote:

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, said that the killing of the three pirates was "a painful experience."

"This is unfortunate action and our friends should have done more to kill the captain before they were killed. This will be a good lesson for us," Habeb told The Associated Press from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl.

What this, as well as the actions taken by the French, should lead to is the other nations dealing with piracy in the area in question pooling their past experiences with these individuals, information concerning them, and future efforts so that coordinated attacks can be made to significantly reduce, if not eliminate, this threat.
The one thing that would put a serious crimp into Mr. Habeb and his 'friends' efforts is not knowing how or when their attack boats will be blown out of the water by some well-targeted naval ordinance. :eek:

If he sees retaliation as a means of justification of past actions taken, then Mr. Habeb is nothing more than a gangleader and a thug, and should be treated as such.

Mark in Oshawa
13th April 2009, 23:50
I respect anyone who goes to war wearing a Red Cross and NOT carrying a gun, but that would be typical of you Vanlandingham to take a shot at a man who served his country.

I think if the navies of a few nations keep showing their colours...this crap will be discouraged enough.

What bothers me is the righteous attitude on the part of the pirates who feel it is their god given right to hijack ships and hold them hostage. I guess they found out some people are not going to cave in so easy...

Daniel
13th April 2009, 23:55
I respect anyone who goes to war wearing a Red Cross and NOT carrying a gun, but that would be typical of you Vanlandingham to take a shot at a man who served his country.

I think you'll find it was Fousto's fault for not correcting Studiose when he had the chance.......

Whether you carry a gun or a medic pack you deserve respect IMHO but they are two very different things.

Roamy
14th April 2009, 01:15
there are times when you carry both !!

Roamy
14th April 2009, 01:19
well the French should be commended as well. It was unfortunate that one captive was killed. The French also had a move difficult challenge as the yacht was large and many places to conceal oneself.

Now if we all just man up and start eliminating the problem this will go away quickly.

Daniel
14th April 2009, 01:21
Now if we all just man up and start eliminating the problem this will go away quickly.

LOL I'm only 25 and I wasn't even in diapers when you were in 'nam and I'm not even that naive :laugh:

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2009, 01:44
I think you'll find it was Fousto's fault for not correcting Studiose when he had the chance.......

Whether you carry a gun or a medic pack you deserve respect IMHO but they are two very different things.

They are? Yes and no. Medics put their life on the line to help their fellow soldiers under fire. They do it often with big ole Red crosses on their helmets or at least used to.

Now Fousto is crusty, sarcastic, often right wing and just plain entertaining, but that is his post Nam hobby...I will respect him 100% for what he did in the green machine, regardless of my thoughts of how short sighted the whole Nam thing was......

Roamy
14th April 2009, 04:20
thanks Mark,

Daniel - Diapers - you had not yet exited the pink canon !!