PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MotoGP Championship, Round 1 - Qatar

The Phantom
10th April 2009, 01:58
Photo by Scott Jones, lifted from MotoGP Matters.

http://motogpmatters.smugmug.com/photos/508819123_RsyeG-L.jpg

Interesting to see them together - the Honda is certainly a lot smaller than all of the others.

Counting down to first practise....

TheFamousEccles
10th April 2009, 02:44
The Honda is smaller 'coz the Ped is an oompaloompa :)

He's another that needs to make the step up to consistent form, and maybe loose his manager whilst he's at it? ;)

Roby44
10th April 2009, 06:17
The Honda is smaller 'coz the Ped is an oompaloompa :)

He's another that needs to make the step up to consistent form, and maybe loose his manager whilst he's at it? ;)

Hadn't heard anyone outside my office use that word, oompaloompa, for ages!!

I just hope that his manager leaves Dovi alone to do his thing, that being, to whip everyone butts!! ;)

Go Dovi.....

CaptainRaiden
10th April 2009, 08:27
Same picture, but from another angle:

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xy/2009/MotoGP/n497556_Untitled-1_0.original.jpg

Yep, Honda is certainly the smallest. I wonder whether Honda is compromising on aerodynamic efficiency by making the bike that tiny to suit pedro gremlin's size.

Also, the award for the fattest bike no longer goes to the Ducati. It now goes to the new Yamaha. I didn't realize how fat the front fairing of the new Yamaha was until I saw it next to the Ducati.

And just to get a couple of facts right:

1. Toni Elias has the 2009 spec Honda, but De Angelis, De Puniet and Takahashi ride the 2008 spec satellite machine, right?

2. Gibernau gets the new carbon fibre chassis GP9, but both Pramac Duc riders get the GP8 satellite machine?

3. Tech 3 Yamaha gets the new 2009 spec Yamaha M1 or are they riding last year's M1? I'm sure they have the new bike.

Anyway, I'm with Roby44. I hope Dovi kicks everyone's ass.

Corny
10th April 2009, 21:36
bit like I expected: stoner 1 with Vale some 3/4 tenths behind.

We'll see on sunday.. Qatar seems to be Casey's circuit

NinjaMaster
11th April 2009, 04:42
First practice MotoGP times:

MotoGP Free Practice Nr. 1 Classification
Pos. Num. Rider Nation Team Motorcycle Lap time Km/h Gap
1 27 Casey STONER AUS Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 1'57.053 328.967
2 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 1'57.439 327.471 0.386
3 5 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 1'57.835 322.677 0.782
4 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 1'58.272 326.579 1.219
5 15 Alex DE ANGELIS RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 1'58.452 326.975 1.399
6 65 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 1'58.468 323.643 1.415
7 36 Mika KALLIO FIN Pramac Racing Ducati 1'58.499 328.367 1.446
8 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Repsol Honda Team Honda 1'58.506 325.693 1.453
9 33 Marco MELANDRI ITA Hayate Racing Team Kawasaki 1'58.757 324.812 1.704
10 14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 1'58.771 321.332 1.718
11 52 James TOSELAND GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 1'58.850 320.000 1.797
12 24 Toni ELIAS SPA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 1'59.094 327.471 2.041
13 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 1'59.158 324.519 2.105
14 7 Chris VERMEULEN AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 1'59.348 316.437 2.295
15 72 Yuki TAKAHASHI JPN Scot Racing Team MotoGP Honda 1'59.437 319.621 2.384
16 59 Sete GIBERNAU SPA Grupo Francisco Hernando Ducati 2'00.595 323.547 3.542
17 88 Niccolo CANEPA ITA Pramac Racing Ducati 2'00.597 317.927 3.544
18 3 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 2'01.435 326.876 4.382

No surprise to see Casey fastest or Vale second. Yamaha again looking like the strongest bike. Pedrosa appears to be wasting his time (though I admire his having a go despite being injured) and the Honda looks to be well behind the Yam and Duc. I'm impressed with Marco and the Hayate team. Imagine where they might be if they had continued deveelopment over the last couple of months? Kallio is even more impressive and may well embarrass Hayden as beeing the second best Duc rider this year. Chris the V on the other hand is going to have to pull his finger out. All early days of course though so we shall wait and see how it pans out. Can't wait for the race and am happy Monday is a holiday so I can stay up and watch it. :up:

Corny
11th April 2009, 19:14
FP2: 1 Stoner 2 Rossi +0.096

Man, I'm happy with Casey. Not that I like to watch him when he's off his bike (is he able to laugh at all?), but finally there's someone that can make Vale's life difficult on racetrack, so that the World Champion is not already known after 3 GPs...

They are by far the best 2 motorcycle racers at the moment

11th April 2009, 21:53
Have just seen Nicky have a huge highside in quali. Hope he is ok. Please post with update anyone.

Rod Richardson
12th April 2009, 00:43
QUALIFYING AT A GLANCE

125 First 5 Rows of Grid

Simon Smith Iannone
Terol Cortese Gadea
Bradl Espargaro Marquez
Folger Redding Olive
Webb Zarco Rabat

250 First 5 Rows of Grid

Bautista Aoyama Di Meglio
Barbera Faubel Talmacsi
Pasini Debon Luthi
Locatelli Abraham Wilairot
Cluzel De Rosa Pesek

Moto Gp Grid Rows

Stoner Rossi Lorenzo
Dovizioso Capirossi Edwards
De Puniet Vermeulen De Angelis
Kallio Melandri Elias
Toseland Pedrosa Gibernau
Hayden Takahashi Canepa

12th April 2009, 03:18
Update to my earlier post, I've just read on Crash.net that Nicky Hayden has been taken to hospital for further checks and xrays. No reports of anything broken but he has a lot of back pain and at this stage is in doubt for the race.
The Ducati dumped him really hard on his back on the track.

NinjaMaster
12th April 2009, 09:32
FP2: 1 Stoner 2 Rossi +0.096

Man, I'm happy with Casey. Not that I like to watch him when he's off his bike (is he able to laugh at all?), but finally there's someone that can make Vale's life difficult on racetrack, so that the World Champion is not already known after 3 GPs...

They are by far the best 2 motorcycle racers at the moment

That is spot on (though a bit harsh on Casey off track IMO). Stoner clearly has the outright speed to win but the big question is whether his wrist is strong enough for a fight with Rossi. I think he may need the holeshot and break to a lead where he can cut fast, clean laps. I'm sceptical he'll have the strength to consistently outbrake Rossi. Should be a ripping opening race.

It appears Simoncelli's title defence is stuffed before it's even really started. A scaphoid injury in training has seem him withdraw from this weekend and given how long it's taken Stoner to heal, it would appear he will be too far behind the 8-ball if/when he gets fit again.

Corny
12th April 2009, 10:45
Rod Richardson, 250 and 125 have four starters on one row ;)

Stoner was so amazing in yesterday's quali.. He's my favourite, Qatar seems to be his circuit

Rod Richardson
12th April 2009, 11:13
4 in a row !!!!!!!
Holy snapping duck's bums.........I fupped.

MrJan
12th April 2009, 13:15
Have just seen Nicky have a huge highside in quali. Hope he is ok. Please post with update anyone.

Very nasty looking accident, hopefully he'll be okay but I'd e very surprised if he starts today.

Early doors but Nicky seems to be having all the same problems with that bike as all the others have. I really thought that his style would suit the bike but judging from his quali pace he just isn't there. I still don't think he'll match Casey but I at least thought he'd be further up than Marco was last season.

cynisca
12th April 2009, 21:29
Qatar GP cancelled due to weather conditions. It will probably run on Monday.

patnicholls
12th April 2009, 23:37
Not sure how the TV package is working out for those in other countries, obviously the MotoGP main event is postponed/cancelled (it may run tomorrow if the weather is acceptable) and the 125cc race was called after four laps (!) due to a massive downpour with half points being awarded making it the shortest event in world championship history.

The 250cc race - which was shortened to 13 laps i.e 2/3 distance because the original intention was to start the MotoGP on time before the rain came again - is something of a classic!

13th April 2009, 00:33
Race is to be held on Monday 9pm local time. I hope Sky TV can change their monday night programming so we can see the race live.

oops, brain not working. It will be Tuesday morning NZ time.

NinjaMaster
13th April 2009, 02:52
What a fizzer. Missed 3 1/2 hours of sleep to see 17 laps of racing. It better not rain tomorrow.

250 race was a beaut. Was hoping for a miraculous Cluzel win but just didn't quite happen. Excellent comeback by Barbera after serious injuries last year and impressive class debut by Di Meglio - showed he's not afraid to dust up his teammate a bit either! Not sure who Pasini was trying to blame when he came off, looked like his own fault to me.

The 125 race, though brief, was a good'un also. Nice to see another first time podium getter in Sandro Cortese. Perhaps he is this years surprise coming-of-age rider? Iannone was pretty chuffed with the win, Simon not so happy looking with 2nd. Smith really needs to learn how to get off the line.

leopard
13th April 2009, 04:56
How many laps a red flagged race have enough legitimacy to represent result of the race. I'd rather have opinion 4 laps race for 125 cc was not enough representative. There will be too much progression or regression to happen in the remaining laps, unless the class was taken into consideration about re-running.

Re-running race(s) will cost considerably, night race where it involves lighting equivalent to 70 football pitches, will need extremely huge cost re-arrangement at the risk of night race . It might happen only here in arab land.

leopard
13th April 2009, 05:10
Interesting to see them together - the Honda is certainly a lot smaller than all of the others.

They ride the same spec of motorcycle. Unless it was something more related to the angle where the pic was taken, the Honda sets up the lower front suspension that makes them looks lower.

Taking a glimpse of Rossi's bike, found Petronas while there was also Yamalube official supportive lubricant for Yamaha, sounds like ambiguity, unless if they stand for the lubricant and fuel respectively.

The Phantom
13th April 2009, 15:00
They ride the same spec of motorcycle. Unless it was something more related to the angle where the pic was taken, the Honda sets up the lower front suspension that makes them looks lower.

Taking a glimpse of Rossi's bike, found Petronas while there was also Yamalube official supportive lubricant for Yamaha, sounds like ambiguity, unless if they stand for the lubricant and fuel respectively.

No, the Honda is definitely smaller, there's nothing in the rules about how big or small the bikes must be. As for the Petronas/Yamalube, money is money, if Petronas are happy to shower cash on the factory team Yamaha will take it, but Yamaha's marketing department will also ensure that the sponsorship contract allows Yamaha to market their own product.

Not impressed about the Qatar fiasco at all. I hope the race itself makes up for it. Speaking of, bed-time for me, got to get up in 3.5 hours to watch it...

callum122
13th April 2009, 19:50
Fantastic win by Stoner!!!! Such dominance :)

Corny
13th April 2009, 21:03
Fantastic win by Stoner!!!! Such dominance :)

Indeed, fantastic.. He's amazing on Qatar

Vale should start working on his starts :) That would help a lot. Suzuki are back where they belong BTW

leopard
14th April 2009, 07:39
No, the Honda is definitely smaller, there's nothing in the rules about how big or small the bikes must be. As for the Petronas/Yamalube, money is money, if Petronas are happy to shower cash on the factory team Yamaha will take it, but Yamaha's marketing department will also ensure that the sponsorship contract allows Yamaha to market their own product.

Not impressed about the Qatar fiasco at all. I hope the race itself makes up for it. Speaking of, bed-time for me, got to get up in 3.5 hours to watch it...

Yeah, besides my aforesaid reasons, Honda last year ran minimalist fairing, they might think the smaller body kit will lessen aerodynamic handicap and optimize engine power...

CaptainRaiden
14th April 2009, 08:47
I can't believe I lost sleep on Sunday evening, and then waited a whole day more for this. It was beginning to become exciting when Rossi was slowly chipping away at the Stoner lead, but once his tyres were shot, I went to sleep.

Hayden has to be careful or else he is gonna pull another Melandri. I have to say that at this moment, the biggest secret in the world of motorcycle racing is just how does Stoner manage to wring performance out of that Ducati.

ShiftingGears
14th April 2009, 11:44
Hayden has to be careful or else he is gonna pull another Melandri. I have to say that at this moment, the biggest secret in the world of motorcycle racing is just how does Stoner manage to wring performance out of that Ducati.

Yep. He destroyed every Ducati rider out there, again.

I take it DeAngelis' incident has gone without action from the stewards?

The Phantom
14th April 2009, 12:47
I take it DeAngelis' incident has gone without action from the stewards?

Haven't heard anything yet. I reckon it's a tough call - he left Pedrosa with nowhere to go, but then again Pedrosa would have been aware that he was coming. However, when you're hard on the gas out of the corner it's difficult to decide to roll off and concede the position. Have to say I have not seen a pass like that for a while, it was probably Elias who did the last one :p :

NinjaMaster
14th April 2009, 13:25
After a 4am start, coffee saved the day. Oh, and Stoner's win. :up:

A brilliant performance by Casey. Led every session (even the extra one) and every lap of the race. That is dominance. And he was able to street everyone without the aid of a top end advantage on the most difficult bike to ride - the guy is a genius.
Rossi rode well, a better start than last year. Gotta say, whilst he said he was happy with the result he didn't look it. Not too many smiles.
The Yamaha still looks the bike to have. Lorenzo was as expected whilst Edwards continued his good speed from the pre-season.
I admired Pedrosa's ride. Love him or hate him (and most hate him) you have to respect the tough little bugger's ability and bravery to push through pain. Especially with the body slam he copped from De Angelis! Props to Hayden's ride in pain too after a massive highside in qualifying. Both riders will want to recover quickly as they're under enormous pressure to perform.
Vermeulen rode pretty well in a typically average Suzuki performance. Hopefully it's a solid start with more to come.
Kallio made an impressive debut. Perhaps he'll be the second Ducati to Stoner?
Melandri rode well on the Dornasaki. Shame he ran off track so early as he showed pretty good pace.

Overall, not the most exciting race (though probably the prettiest - it is spectacular under lights) but enough little stoush's through the pack to keep things interesting. I look forward to next round to see Rossi and Yamaha's answer to Stoner's dominant start and if Jorge, Dovi and the rest of the pack can put any pressure at all on the leading duo.

Haven't heard anything yet. I reckon it's a tough call - he left Pedrosa with nowhere to go, but then again Pedrosa would have been aware that he was coming. However, when you're hard on the gas out of the corner it's difficult to decide to roll off and concede the position. Have to say I have not seen a pass like that for a while, it was probably Elias who did the last one :p :

I thought it was an overly hard pass. He had Dani covered but ran it unnecessarily wide in my opinion. Worth a reprimand but probably not enough to penalise him positionally.

patnicholls
15th April 2009, 00:41
Performance of the weekend for me was Jules Cluzel taking second in the 250s - mainly because it came from absolutely nowhere. He did a full season in 125s last year and didn't get a single point!

His team, Matteoni Racing, are former front-runners and introduced Marco Melandri to World Championship racing a decade-and-a-bit ago but have had a rotten time recently [including with one Antony West aboard, as 'Team Sicilia'] so deserve a bit of luck too.

15th April 2009, 05:19
Well done Casey! I hope that holding his arm across his body at the end of the race is just something he does rather than the hand causing problems. About deAngelis, I noticed the front end of his bike lift just before he moved into Pedrosa so would that have complicated things? or did he lift on purpose. (I'm not a bike rider obviously)

CaptainRaiden
15th April 2009, 09:46
Rossi rode well, a better start than last year. Gotta say, whilst he said he was happy with the result he didn't look it. Not too many smiles.

I really think Rossi is gonna wrap up the title sooner than last year. Of course, Stoner won by a good margin, but he did so at Qatar in 2008 too, and Rossi finished way down the order some 15 seconds behind on his first race on Bridgestones.

So, being close, and even being able to challenge Stoner, of course I would think Rossi would be pretty pleased with this result. With the upcoming circuits favoring the Yamaha, we'd have to see how Stoner would respond, and if the GP9 is able to perform accordingly there too.

I really wanted Dovi to challenge for the win or at least finish on the podium, but well tyre setup problems. And I think Pedro gremlin is making too big a deal about the whole thing. It was a racing incident, happens. And I have to say there is some arrogance on his part to call DeAngelis "disrespectful", like he is some 10 time champion and deangelis is a noob. :rolleyes:

leopard
15th April 2009, 10:37
One thing highlighted from Qatar race, not sure what product pictured on LCR bike, can someone enlighten me, did they respect Qatar like tobacco ads ban? thought they'd run rabbit the playboy... like many posts posted here Randy posing with a brown girl which reminds me of Rani Mukherji...

Roby44
15th April 2009, 11:36
I really wanted Dovi to challenge for the win or at least finish on the podium, but well tyre setup problems.

I would have liked to have seen Dovi a bit higher up as well, but he'll get there for sure...

NinjaMaster
15th April 2009, 13:08
I really think Rossi is gonna wrap up the title sooner than last year. Of course, Stoner won by a good margin, but he did so at Qatar in 2008 too, and Rossi finished way down the order some 15 seconds behind on his first race on Bridgestones.

So, being close, and even being able to challenge Stoner, of course I would think Rossi would be pretty pleased with this result. With the upcoming circuits favoring the Yamaha, we'd have to see how Stoner would respond, and if the GP9 is able to perform accordingly there too.

Time will tell but I'd disagree. Stoner was able to dominate Qatar on a bike that had no top end advantage. To my mind, he looks more focused and a better package with the bike this year and will get better as he gets fitter and stronger. I also think that he's learned a lot from last year and is thus better prepared for Rossi's mind games. I think Rossi realises this hence the subdued celebration in coming second. He knows the fight is going to be long and hard.

And I think Pedro gremlin is making too big a deal about the whole thing. It was a racing incident, happens. And I have to say there is some arrogance on his part to call DeAngelis "disrespectful", like he is some 10 time champion and deangelis is a noob. :rolleyes:

Well Dani isn't quite a 10 time champ but he is a 3 time champ and Alex does ride like a noob sometimes. :) I don't think it was arrogant, Dani was justifiably angry and vented accordingly. No different to what Rossi or Stoner or most other riders have done in the past.

leopard
17th April 2009, 04:06

Further to my question about petronas partnership with Yamaha, found the answer when I happened to visit yamaha petronas sponsorship (http://www.motogpmatters.com/news/2009/04/15/yamaha_petronas_sponsorship_worth_8_mill.html).

I wasn't surprised for giant oil company like petronas pouring forth their money in the series, very big amount for a complementary sponsor considering the value are more than three times bigger than main sponsor of their satellite team.

They may alter yamalube with petronas in certain race, they could also appear together and let people decide their judgment for both lubricant. When they work for petronas and when they have to introduce Yamalube their subsidiary product, the mechanism is still not clear ...

TheFamousEccles
17th April 2009, 11:43
Corny, whilst I would like the Suzi's to go well, I think that they are yet to demonstrate anything other than the status quo, that is, slow!

Here's hoping, but they have spent the best part of the last 8-9 years 10 or more km/hr down on even the slowest honda. It's a waste of talent, really. Vermeulen and Capirex are quality and are showing the patience of Job, IMO.

TFE

Corny
17th April 2009, 12:01
Personally I think Suzuki just needs to put a talent on the bike..

Since Schwantz they have never had a pure racing talent on board. So what will they do this winter, taking Simoncelli or Bautista? No way, they'll already be too late for that, 'cause Honda or Yamaha will contract them

They had Spies, but let him go as fast as they had him. I just don't think that Vermeulen and Capirossi (well, Capi not anymore) are able to fight with riders like Pedrosa, Rossi and Stoner on the same equipment

Rod Richardson
17th April 2009, 13:42

Since Schwantz they have never had a pure racing talent on board.

Come off it Corny, you were 4 years old when Schwantz had his last really good season in 1993 on 500cc two-strokes. Injuries eventually resulted in KS retiring in 1995 aged 31 years. He had his ups and downs just as many other riders of similar talent have had over the years.

Bit unfair to suggest that the current lack of performance of the 2009 Suzies so early at this stage of their development is the responsibility of the riders.

ShiftingGears
17th April 2009, 13:46
They had Spies, but let him go as fast as they had him. I just don't think that Vermeulen and Capirossi (well, Capi not anymore) are able to fight with riders like Pedrosa, Rossi and Stoner on the same equipment

I have to agree there.

TheFamousEccles
17th April 2009, 15:16
I agree about Spies, but I do think that the Suzi is lacking, and that Spies (or his handlers) were savvy to this. Moving to yamaha was no bad career move for him.

Though, I don't think that Spies and Co would be pleased with DORNA's rule that rookies must debut on a non-factory bike/team? That's a stupid idea if ever there was one. :confused:

NinjaMaster
18th April 2009, 03:29

Since Schwantz they have never had a pure racing talent on board. So what will they do this winter, taking Simoncelli or Bautista? No way, they'll already be too late for that, 'cause Honda or Yamaha will contract them

I partly agree with this post. I don't think Vermeulen or Capirossi are MotoGP title winners but I don't think the bike is either. Suzuki are also hamstrung in that they can't sign any of Simoncelli, Bautista or Spies next year due to only having a factory team. But even that won't really help them as I don't think any of those blokes are as good as Stoner, Rossi, Lorenzo Pedrosa or Dovizioso or even any better than Chris or Loris. Perhaps going for Dani or Melandri (unless Kawasaki re-enter their factory effort and keep Marco) at years end is their best option alongside Vermeulen.

Corny
18th April 2009, 08:56
I do think Simoncelli is as good as Pedrosa and Lorenzo (not so sure about Stoner and Rossi though), he has quit a disadvantage on his weight with the 250 bike and still wins. When he steps on a GP bike that disadvantage will be a lot less

Corny
18th April 2009, 09:02
Come off it Corny, you were 4 years old when Schwantz had his last really good season in 1993 on 500cc two-strokes. Injuries eventually resulted in KS retiring in 1995 aged 31 years. He had his ups and downs just as many other riders of similar talent have had over the years.

Bit unfair to suggest that the current lack of performance of the 2009 Suzies so early at this stage of their development is the responsibility of the riders.
You should see the video material we have at home, since begin 90's ;) Yes, I know he had his up and downs, and I know he was not collecting as much points as Rainey due to his mistakes

You are right, it is a bit early to say they're not competitive. Capirossi had a worn front tyre already after 4 laps, I've just red in our MotoGP magazine. But I just think they would do better with young top riders from 250, than with picking Capirossi for example

The Phantom
18th April 2009, 17:08
I reckon it's the Suzuki. Capirossi was only a few years back one of the few riders who was a genuine threat against Rossi and quite capable of beating him in a head to head battle, and Vermeulen's recent form has seen him often turning the same laptimes as Stoner and Rossi right to the end of the race, albeit down in 6th+ position.

However, Suzuki seems closer this year and perhaps we could see a better result as the season progresses. Qualifying on race rubber will be to Vermuelen's advantage, especially when they get to tracks where the softer compound is the race tyre of choice, and don't forget that only a couple of years ago Hopkins finished the season 4th overall. So there is definitely potential to be unlocked.

In 2009 if Vermeulen can turn in better qualifying performances - and perhaps be a little more aggressive in the opening laps - he will most certainly be fighting for podiums instead of single digit points.