PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

schmenke
9th April 2009, 19:23
Our camera has decided to pack it in so I'm looking for a replacement, and as usual I seek sage(?) advise from the band of merry techno-geeks lurking on this forum (and as usual, I will probably regret this action later on... :p : ).

Our old camera was a ~5yr old simple Cannon Powershotsumthinorother. I want to use this opportunity to replace it with an SLR but I don't want to spend a bundle, ideally < $700.00 CAD (~$600 USD). Most of my photography will be outdoors, trying to get snaps of the rugrats in action.

I've been trying to research the 'net but there seems to be such a vast selection of brands and functionalities that I feel a little overwhelmed with the array of specifications.

So, what should I be looking for? What specs are mere gimmicks that I should avoid? One technology I see often quoted is "CCD" and "CMOS" - what's the diff? Which one do I want? Also, I understand that "RAW" files refer to an uncompressed format, but what advantage does this provide?

I sit back and await the usual flood of replies... :D

Storm
10th April 2009, 18:49
Cheapest SLR in that range would be the Nikon D40 or something like that...I was looking at getting a SLR last year but have postponed it due to the recession (or the possibility of sitting home with a SLR in hand :p : )

although I should keep quiet, afterall this is a "Daniel" thread ;)

markabilly
10th April 2009, 18:58
Get a canon, canon rebel or equivalent in nikon, for as cheap as possible, the budget model.....and then spend the money on lenses, buy the best you can afford.

Cameras have become like computers. In two years, whatever you buy (like the top $9k model, that camera will probably no longer be as good as the new budget $650 model.

OTOH, great lenses remain great lenses and make more difference in picture quality. You can keep them almost forever
One my favs is an old 80-200 f2.8 I bought like around 1990 for about $500
Takes pictures that match the latest canon 70-200 f2.8 that costs $1800....

otoh, i paid 4k for a body about five years ago, and that new $750 plastic body model Rebel just blows it away....

J4MIE
11th April 2009, 19:35
If you have the option, a DSLR will get the best results for your money, however you're not going to get too much for $700. Beware of the budget Nikon DSLRs as a few of them don't have an autofocus motor in the body so rely on having that in the lens, which is generally more expensive (they get their money one way or another).

You could always go the second hand route, as people upgrade to newer kit you can still get some excellent stuff.

Daniel
11th April 2009, 22:03
Agree with what all the others have said

schmenke
14th April 2009, 16:53
Thanks all for the good advice.

After much research and shopping around I was starting to get discouraged as I couldn't find anything decent within my limited budget. However, I stumbled upon a promo deal that Olympus is currently offering so I jumped on it: An E-520 model with two lenses (14-42mm and 40-150mm) and a 4GB memory card to boot, all within (just) my budget. I was previously looking at either the Sony Alpha A300 and the Cannon Rebel series, both of which were pushing $800.00 with only the single lens. The Olympus has a two year warranty whereas the other two offer only one year.

I'm now a happy camper :D I just have to read the 100-page owner's manual :mark:

J4MIE
14th April 2009, 21:45
1) Take lens cap off (important step, I learned this a long time ago)
2) Make sure you have a memory card in, or have deleted previous photos from it (otherwise after taking a few pics you have to delete the rest individually rather than just formatting the card; I learned this lesson a long time ago but still fall foul of it occasionally)
3) Make sure you have batteries charged and in the camera (I have learned both points a long time ago)
4) Make sure that when taking pics in bright sunshine you haven't left it on the settings for the previous night's long exposures (I learned this a long time ago)
5) Remember to set it to AF if you want to use it rather than the MF that you had when taking pics in poor light the evening before (I learned this a long time ago)
6) Remember to turn your back if a rally car is passing and throwing up mud/dirt/dust/gravel/water all over you to avoid the aforementioned item spreading itself all over and inside the camera (I still haven't learned this one :s tareup: )
7) Have fun and keep trying and remember what works and what doesn't ;)

Daniel
14th April 2009, 21:59
2) Make sure you have a memory card in, or have deleted previous photos from it (otherwise after taking a few pics you have to delete the rest individually rather than just formatting the card; I learned this lesson a long time ago but still fall foul of it occasionally)
3) Make sure you have batteries charged and in the camera (I have learned both points a long time ago)
4) Make sure that when taking pics in bright sunshine you haven't left it on the settings for the previous night's long exposures (I learned this a long time ago)
5) Remember to set it to AF if you want to use it rather than the MF that you had when taking pics in poor light the evening before (I learned this a long time ago)
6) Remember to turn your back if a rally car is passing and throwing up mud/dirt/dust/gravel/water all over you to avoid the aforementioned item spreading itself all over and inside the camera (I still haven't learned this one :s tareup: )
What he said. I've got plenty of lovely photos which have been ruined by high ISO settins :(

pino
14th April 2009, 22:11

8) Make sure you're taking your camera with you when leaving the Hotel/Cottage/Car... :p :

edv
15th April 2009, 02:30
If your new camera has a 'video' setting, test it with your alternate memory card to be sure that it can handle the bandwidth. Some cards are too slow.

Does it have an anti-shake feature? I love the anti-shake feature.

As for RAW format, you'll need a special plugin from the manufacturer if you want to exploit this area of digital blackrooming (for Photoshop). RAW allows you to manipulate the white balance and noise, among other things, that otherwise get processed prior to outputting the JPG or TIF to your mem card.

and +1 for remembering to take the lens cap off LOL. Hope you enjoy your new toy!

DonJippo
15th April 2009, 12:10

Rally Norway was not that long time ago :p :

Caroline
15th April 2009, 19:53
Our camera has decided to pack it in so I'm looking for a replacement, and as usual I seek sage(?) advise from the band of merry techno-geeks lurking on this forum (and as usual, I will probably regret this action later on... :p : ).

Our old camera was a ~5yr old simple Cannon Powershotsumthinorother.

Canon Powershotwhatevers are great. I have an 410 or something and that has been going for years as my classroom camera. Been on numerous trips, sports days, dropped by kids etc and is still going strong.
Good luck with your new camera :)

J4MIE
15th April 2009, 23:11
8) Make sure you're taking your camera with you when leaving the Hotel/Cottage/Car... :p :

Yes this also helps if you want decent photos..... :o

I am thinking of buying one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Mju-Tough-8000-Compact/dp/B001O2SA9G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1239833707&sr=8-2 that I can carry around with me all the time, I don't carry my slr around and sometimes wish I had a better camera than the crappy one on my phone. Anyone know if it's any good?

Mark
16th April 2009, 08:14
Seems expensive for a point and shoot. You could get almost as good for a lot less I think?

J4MIE
16th April 2009, 09:45
So suggest something then please dear Mark :p :

Mark
16th April 2009, 10:59
I don't know your requirements so I couldn't say really!

edv
17th April 2009, 23:33
http://www.dpreview.com Nuff said.

schmenke
18th April 2009, 03:37
http://www.dpreview.com Nuff said.

Yup. The folks at Saneal pointed me to this site where I did much of my research.

Mark
21st September 2009, 09:18
My Mum is looking for a digital camera to buy, probably in the January sales so a little while off yet. Her only real requirement is that it has a 3inch LCD screen, as she has trouble seeing anything smaller.

We were looking at the Panasonic FS20 in Sainsbury's, although that is now a discontinued model so likely to disappear soon and was a bit pricey at £130. Are there any good models out there with a 3" screen which can be had for less than £100?