PDA

View Full Version : Windows or Linux?

EuroTroll
8th April 2009, 16:00
Now then,

For all y'all computer-buffs out there - which, do you think, is currently the more secure OS out there: Windows or Linux?

I've been using Windows XP for ages now, but I can't help thinking I'd be better protected against viruses, spyware, keyloggers, etc. if I'd be using a version of Linux, instead.

Do you think that's right? If so, which Linux distribution would you recommend? If it matters at all...

Thanks!

Bezza
8th April 2009, 16:08
We sell both, and both are good for different reasons - but at the end of the day its down to personal preference and what you want to do. Give me a ring if you need a Windows or Linux dedicated server ;)

EuroTroll
8th April 2009, 16:31
We sell both, and both are good for different reasons - but at the end of the day its down to personal preference and what you want to do. Give me a ring if you need a Windows or Linux dedicated server ;)

No servers here, Bezza. :) Just wondering what would be better for your average home (or small business) user. ;)

As to what I want to do - well, I'd like to surf the 'net, exchange e-mails and not have my identity stolen (while doing internet banking, for example). :) That's about it, really.

EuroTroll
8th April 2009, 16:49
Given that OpenOffice works on both Windows and Linux, as does Foxit (Acrobat) reader, etc...

Mark
8th April 2009, 17:48
For a home or small business then Windows no question. For servers or development and research then Linux.

EuroTroll
8th April 2009, 18:01
For a home or small business then Windows no question.

Would you care to explain your reasoning for that, Mark? I mean, isn't Linux fundamentally more secure, like I've heard (from the women in the sauna :) )? And, added to that, aren't there fewer people trying to write malicious software for Linux programs than there are people writing malicious Windows scripts (do excuse my possible confusion with relevant terms! ;) )?

Really, if you want your computer to do what you want it to do - and no more - isn't Linux a better option?

Although it might be more difficult to use, initiallly.

Mark
8th April 2009, 19:38
Because windows is just easier to use. As long as you keep it up to date security is not too bad. Speaking as I am a linux system admin.

52Paddy
10th April 2009, 12:37
I've recently switched to using Linux, against my own will really. My brother prefers it for his maths/physics programmes when doing college work. In my opinion, Linux is a cleaner package and, although initially difficult to get used to, has future benefits in the user friendly area when one gets accustomed to the format.

The major downside is the complications in installing many Windows orientated programmes. I can't get any of my car games to run with Linux and the ipod brings further complications. Yes, programmes like Wine make it possible to install some games on Linux but this can be difficult to use. Rhythmbox recognises the Ipod but again, not without its complications.