PDA

View Full Version : the Official Long Beach Race (weekend) thread

SarahFan
7th April 2009, 14:27
just over 72 hours til the cars run on the oppisite coast...

i think we all agree it was a darn good first race of the year.... and a solid start to the season

any pre-track thoughts on this weekend out there...

for me the top story headed into this weekend has really not been discussed...

DIXON!

sure he was the victim of tough luck via powers miscue in the pits....but he didn't show to well in practice and qualifying (certainly relative to last seasons performance) and after dropping back didn't tear it up thru the field..

it will be interesting to see how he fairs this weekend

and then there is RHR and Wilson.....can the repeat and stay at the top of the grid...

and will Briscoe repeat...

do ex-CC teams and drivers have a bit of an advantage haveing been at LB the more recent past?

will Stanton be anywhere besides the bottom of the grid?

will Danicafan predict a podium?... a win?

Chamoo
7th April 2009, 14:48
just over 72 hours til the cars run on the oppisite coast...

The LBGP isnt until next weekend Ken.

SarahFan
7th April 2009, 15:28
The LBGP isnt until next weekend Ken.

shoot... i knew that... just woke up excited this morning...

anyhow...thread stands

any thoughts on next next weekend

bblocker68
7th April 2009, 15:47
Looking for a good showing from Will Power. I'm gonna slot him in for a LBGP repeat victory.

Chamoo
7th April 2009, 16:20
Looking for a good showing from Will Power. I'm gonna slot him in for a LBGP repeat victory.

Agreed, all the former CCWS drivers will have a good chance to win this race. It's been a while since guys like Franchitti, Dixon, Kanaan have been on this track.

Another good showing from the smaller teams is in order as well.

bzcam
7th April 2009, 17:26
Agreed, all the former CCWS drivers will have a good chance to win this race. It's been a while since guys like Franchitti, Dixon, Kanaan have been on this track.

Another good showing from the smaller teams is in order as well.

How about a Wilson, Manning, Doornbos podium for Long Beach? Any takers?

BZ

PS - Anyone but Penske, Ganassi and AGR...anyone...

Hoop-98
7th April 2009, 21:09
My Picks are:

Power, Briscoe, Wilson, Franchitti, Tagliani, Kanaan,

Conway best rookie, pole time 1:09.49

rh

SarahFan
7th April 2009, 22:11
Conway best rookie, pole time 1:09.49

did you catch the comment about Dornboos during the broadcast that he was struggling with braking.....

I expect him to move a bit up the grid next week....I'll pick Dornboos as top qualifying rookie

Hoop-98
7th April 2009, 22:43
did you catch the comment about Dornboos during the broadcast that he was struggling with braking.....

I expect him to move a bit up the grid next week....I'll pick Dornboos as top qualifying rookie

When I was working up my list I struggled whom to leave out. On a street course I think you can have 10 potential top performers maybe more.

Of course, when you have a hard time picking out your top 6 or 8, that ain't a bad thing.

What about the time, should we have a pick the pole ?

I think I may fit this one in, should be interesting to see the new Long Beach Grand Prix,,,,

rh

bblocker68
8th April 2009, 16:26
Kind of funny that Doornbos is a rookie, but has more experience at Long Beach than some veterans :)

SarahFan
8th April 2009, 16:36
When I was working up my list I struggled whom to leave out. On a street course I think you can have 10 potential top performers maybe more.

Of course, when you have a hard time picking out your top 6 or 8, that ain't a bad thing.

What about the time, should we have a pick the pole ?

I think I may fit this one in, should be interesting to see the new Long Beach Grand Prix,,,,

rh

any idea if there is a shuttle from the long beach airport to/from the track?

Jet flys from Salt lake....gets in at 8:55....leaves at 7:50...

I'd miss warm-up.... but could have a King taco carnitas burrito for breakfast during the lights race

SUBARUTEAM
8th April 2009, 20:50

Ken, I agree - he will be very fast.
I had Dornboos picked for a top 7 finish in my pickems for St Pet.

Hoop-98
8th April 2009, 21:05
any idea if there is a shuttle from the long beach airport to/from the track?

Jet flys from Salt lake....gets in at 8:55....leaves at 7:50...

I'd miss warm-up.... but could have a King taco carnitas burrito for breakfast during the lights race

I'm in Vegas Friday so I would probably drive in, haven't cked out airport trans, I am sure they have super shuttle or someone...

rh

Mark in Oshawa
8th April 2009, 22:49
Hoop...any idea on a lap time for LB? Are the Dallara's slower or faster than the Dp-01's? I figure they will be a hair slower but not radically so.....

As for my picks...well I didn't get to watch St. Pete's so I will just say I am guessing Dixon and Briscoe fighting for the win with Power lurking in the weeds waiting for the two of them to take each other out...

Hoop-98
8th April 2009, 23:13
69.4 is my guess about 2-3 seconds a lap slower than the DP01....

rh

SarahFan
11th April 2009, 22:09
http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/77554/?tf=indycar2.tpl

nicely done Vs

it will be interesting to see how Vs handles the virtual laps on the ovals

garyshell
11th April 2009, 22:40
http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/77554/?tf=indycar2.tpl

nicely done Vs

it will be interesting to see how Vs handles the virtual laps on the ovals

The one they did for St. Pete was cool too. Glad to see these guys pulling out the stops. As I said earlier, when I first heard they would be the primary broadcaster I was skeptical at best. But now, I am VERY impressed with the job they are doing and the crosss promotion on other non-Comcast cable channels.

Gary

Chamoo
11th April 2009, 22:43
Yea, they really are doing a good job of the virtual laps. Are they using that iRacing program to produce those laps or some other program? That would be a lot of digital work for them to do simply for one lap around each track.

NickFalzone
11th April 2009, 23:24
At Edmonton last season the fastest Dallara's were equal to the bottom third of the DP-01 field in 2007, 2-3 secs off the front of the field. I don't mind the slight difference in pace as much as the fact that the Dallaras just look ungainly on the street circuits. Something needs to be done about that for the new car, besides just in the engine department. The car is so heavily engineered for the ovals with regards to speed, aero, and safety that it's a borderline embarassment on some of these street circuits. There have been a ton of expensive parts made for the Dallara in the last 3-5 years that has made it acceptable as far as performance, but it still looks terrible and is very difficult to make quick moves and passes without crashing.

DanicaFan
12th April 2009, 20:52
I am going with Danica for the win at Long Beach but Doornbos should do well this weekend.

F1boat
12th April 2009, 21:03
I predict that Power will win again for Penske.

SarahFan
12th April 2009, 21:37
I am going with Danica for the win at Long Beach but Doornbos should do well this weekend.

What the odds nyome but danica will win another race this season?

*clearly has matos not bonzied danica last week she would have won the season opener

bzcam
12th April 2009, 21:52

Sorry, I didn't think that hell was freezing over till next weekend. In that case I'm with you. I am going with Danica for the win also at Long Beach but Dale Earnhardt and Paul Dana should do well this weekend also. One question though, are the pigs flying over the race course before or after the monkey flys out of my butt?

BZ

Giuseppe F1
12th April 2009, 23:50
Dale Earnhardt and Paul Dana should do well this weekend also.

Have some respect, dude!

Phoenixent
13th April 2009, 01:15

I say that Danica will bend the car up at Long Beach like she did in Atlantic's on the same track.

As for the win I am going with Will Power second pick is Justin Wilson.

DanicaFan
13th April 2009, 05:14
Yeah, yeah. Danica placed 5th there in the Atlantics in 2004. :)

garyshell
13th April 2009, 05:38

And remind us again, how did she do at Long Beach???

Gary

F1fanru
13th April 2009, 05:43
What the odds nyome but danica will win another race this season?

*clearly has matos not bonzied danica last week she would have won the season opener

What are the odds Danica will ever win again?

As the competition has improved she hasn't.

maxmach
13th April 2009, 05:43
Ok, what about Graham Rahal, I like his style, seems good with the street courses, Him or Briscoe, with Wilson, Frankitty, and Doornbus fighting for the rest.

And what has happened to Marko, I'm no fan but I saw some of his earlier races, seemed like he had it, and now is just lost.

DanicaFan
13th April 2009, 05:52
And remind us again, how did she do at Long Beach???

Gary

I just did, you quoted me as to how Danica did at Long Beach in 2004. ;)

F1boat
13th April 2009, 06:27
Actually I support Wheldon, and I hope that he will be able to win, almost I fear that the Penske team will be too fast. What do you think? Can Dan win some good points in Long Beach?

Phoenixent
13th April 2009, 10:52

You forgot 2003 at Long Beach she bent the car during the race. I was there for her two outings at Long Beach. She was a frustrated little girl that had a hard time setting up her car.

Where were you in 2003-2004 LBGP?

beachbum
13th April 2009, 12:07
Wow, I didn't see that one coming.

Is she in the celebrity race again? Of course, she didn't even win that one outright, but who's keeping track.

This should be very interesting this week with a number of driver with recent experience on the track like Wilson and Doornbos going up against the "big three". I don't know if Wilson can win, but I suspect he will be right near the top. After the performance he and the Coyne team produced at St Pete, you have to cheer for the underdog at Long Beach. It would quite a story if the little guys spanked the big boys again.

Sadly, of the "big three", I think AGR is basically now a mid-pack team this season, although Kanaan has the drive to force his way near the top. I don't expect much from the rest.

DanicaFan
13th April 2009, 12:17
Trust me guys, Danica will do just fine. With Michael calling the shots for the race, she will have that track mastered in no time. Dont forget, Michael has won here and knows a lot about this place.

SarahFan
13th April 2009, 14:27
Trust me guys, Danica will do just fine. With Michael calling the shots for the race, she will have that track mastered in no time. Dont forget, Michael has won here and knows a lot about this place.

my prediction is she will qualify 14th and finish 11th due to attrition and wont pass a single car on track

SarahFan
13th April 2009, 15:51
http://www.presstelegram.com/moresports/ci_12126186

garyshell
13th April 2009, 16:10

Hmmmm, I wonder what this report means for Danica's future?

http://sports.myway.com/news/04132009/v2737.html

Gary

Phoenixent
13th April 2009, 17:57

Michael has won twice 1986 and 2002 he is one ahead of Danny Sullivan :rolleyes: .

I would say the win is going to be a driver from one of these three teams NHL, Target Ganassi, Team Penske in that order.

bzcam
13th April 2009, 18:43
I would say the win is going to be a driver from one of these three teams NHL, Target Ganassi, Team Penske in that order.

Tony Kanaan is a great driver and always a threat so you'd better throw AGR into that list also. Marco could get crazy lucky too. HM and DP don't have a chance. Wilson had a good car and a good thing going at St. Pete so do you dare add DC to the list too? Hope the outcome is at least interesting. I am still for a Wilson, Manning, Doornbos podium. Any takers?

TURN3
13th April 2009, 19:19
Tony Kanaan is a great driver and always a threat so you'd better throw AGR into that list also. Marco could get crazy lucky too. HM and DP don't have a chance. Wilson had a good car and a good thing going at St. Pete so do you dare add DC to the list too? Hope the outcome is at least interesting. I am still for a Wilson, Manning, Doornbos podium. Any takers?

Personally, I like TK and he is a for real stud driver. By loosing Dario and even Bryan Herta, I think AGR's developement is suffering too much to keep them in contention. They still probably have an advantage over the newer and smaller teams at the aero tracks but likely are falling even further and further behind Penske and TCGR. While other teams continue to improve, look for AGR to continue being mid to back pack with slightly better results on aero tracks. TK can't do it alone and the other 3 are absolutely clueless.

beachbum
13th April 2009, 19:58
Hmmmm, I wonder what this report means for Danica's future?

http://sports.myway.com/news/04132009/v2737.html

GaryProbably nothing. GoDaddy already has Junior and his team.

NickFalzone
14th April 2009, 03:52
Wilson got the pole last year didn't he? I'd put him as a definite podium contender this weekend. Also expect to see Dixon get it together. Wilson, Dixon, and Power are IMO the three favorites.

peasant
14th April 2009, 11:34

Dude you've got wanting to **** her so bad and your opinion of her racing skills all twisted together. Deal with the first one properly and sanity will probably return on the second.

dataman1
14th April 2009, 14:15
So, who is going to Long Beach? I will be there.

bblocker68
14th April 2009, 15:45

Yeah, but Michael was a top-tier talented driver :)

I'm willing to bet you that Danica will never win on a road or a street course.

SarahFan
14th April 2009, 15:57
Yeah, but Michael was a top-tier talented driver :)

I'm willing to bet you that Danica will never win on a road or a street course.

that's a sure thing...

me?... I am willing to wager she will never win an IRL race again

harvick#1
14th April 2009, 17:37
Wilson got the pole last year didn't he? I'd put him as a definite podium contender this weekend. Also expect to see Dixon get it together. Wilson, Dixon, and Power are IMO the three favorites.

the way Briscoe has been running since the indy 500 wreck, hes been an absolute force on every track, LB will be no different, I see him starting off the year 2 for 2.

though the 3 you said will also be very good and tough this weekend also

Phoenixent
14th April 2009, 18:02
So, who is going to Long Beach? I will be there.

I will be there for all three days. It's my 18th year there and it's my home track. Only two days and a wake up. :)

JustRace
14th April 2009, 19:23
I predict Danica out on Lap 1 - when you start in the back it's tough to not get caught up in a turn 1 melee.

I'll take Dario for the win - looked racy out of the gate in St. Pete.

DanicaFan
15th April 2009, 05:28
Here is the entry list for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. 22 cars in the field.

Car # & Driver / Car Name / Team / Race Strategist

#2 Raphael Matos / US Air Force Luczo Dragon / Luczo Dragon Racing / Jay Penske
#3 Will Power / Team Penske / Team Penske / Tim Cindric
#4 Dan Wheldon / National Guard Panther Racing / Panther Racing / John Barnes
#5 Mario Moraes / KV Racing Technology-Votorantim / KV Racing Technology / Mark Johnson
#6 Ryan Briscoe / Team Penske / Team Penske / Roger Penske
#7 Danica Patrick / Motorola / Andretti Green Racing / Michael Andretti
#9 Scott Dixon / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Mike Hull
#10 Dario Franchitti / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Chip Ganassi
#11 Tony Kanaan / Team 7-Eleven-Dr. Pepper / Andretti Green Racing / George Klotz
#13 EJ Viso / PDVSA HVM Racing / HVM Racing / Michael Cannon
#14 Vitor Meira / ABC Supply Co. - AJ Foyt Racing / AJ Foyt Enterprises / AJ Foyt
#18 Justin Wilson / Z-Line Designs / Dale Coyne Racing / Bill Pappas
#20 Ed Carpenter / Menard's-Vision Racing / Vision Racing / Jeff Britton
#21 Ryan Hunter-Reay / Vision Racing / Vision Racing / Neil Fife
#23 Darren Manning / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Larry Curry
#24 Mike Conway / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dennis Reinbold
#26 Marco Andretti / Automatic Fire Sprinklers / Andretti Green Racing / Kyle Moyer
#27 Hideki Mutoh / Formula Dream / Andretti Green Racing / Kim Green
#34 Alex Tagliani / Conquest Racing / Conquest Racing / Brandon Fry
#98 Stanton Barrett / Interush Racing / CURB-Agajanian-Team 3G / Owen Snyder
#02 Graham Rahal / McDonald's Racing Team / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing / John Tzouanakis
#06 Robert Doornbos / Newman-Haas-Racing / Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing / Todd Malloy

F1boat
15th April 2009, 06:51
#4 Dan Wheldon / National Guard Panther Racing / Panther Racing / John Barnes

Go Danny Go!

SarahFan
15th April 2009, 16:20
24 hours until cars are on track....

whooohooo!!!

bblocker68
15th April 2009, 18:28
Will we see Schekter??

bblocker68
15th April 2009, 18:39
Never mind. Looks like he's a no-go for 3G, but may pop up at DCR, eventually.

SarahFan
15th April 2009, 21:51
24 hours until cars are on track....

whooohooo!!!

um er ah.... i mean 48

SarahFan
16th April 2009, 15:39
ok... so now its just over 24 hours..

http://www.presstelegram.com/grandprix

the Long beach press telegram always does a solid job....

bblocker68
16th April 2009, 16:05
Oh yeah, the LB Press Telegram. That reminds me, I have to go get the coupons for Friday.

They usually have a stand out in front of the ticket booth. Don't pay the $20 to get in. Buy a Press Telegram, fill out the coupon and you're in for a buck!!

Hoop-98
17th April 2009, 04:08
last year

http://i41.tinypic.com/eas7z7.jpg

rh

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 04:20
hey hoop.... acouple of years ago you posted the number of google hits danica got vs some other drivers...

how do i get those #'s

and I'm 50/50 for sunday

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 04:21
last year

http://i41.tinypic.com/eas7z7.jpg

rh

how about vasser putting that car 10th on the grid.......

Hoop-98
17th April 2009, 05:08
How about this shoull be the best racing since 2002 period, is that ok?

i mean if racing is what wets your beak...

rh

Hoop-98
17th April 2009, 05:14
hey hoop.... acouple of years ago you posted the number of google hits danica got vs some other drivers...

how do i get those #'s

and I'm 50/50 for sunday

google danica patrick

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,250,000 for danica patrick. (0.10 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 120,000 for katherine legge. (0.08 seconds

Results 1 - 10 of about 8,150,000 for paul (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/paul&r=67&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sig2=3XrmoOVrEQ2EBg4VW8QNgA&usg=AFQjCNEV72YZnc3KPQVqjOuqJFmJ6jLwOg) tracy (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/tracy&r=67&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=2&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sig2=Mq4jTsyzRGOE7so2rWKlPQ&usg=AFQjCNHifmCadSsECu3H_1GP3-wPPphjFA). (0.19 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 413,000 for helio (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/helio-&r=67&ei=BAPoSd3zIInhtgeiufjDBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=BAPoSd3zIInhtgeiufjDBQ&sig2=nyXcHkDkXrzZDTXjh0oUwg&usg=AFQjCNGjkzpRvRZ-OICj-B-AKn3jjVgLWg) castroneves. (0.12 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,500,000 for scott (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/scott&r=67&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sig2=kOpUuWfwD9q5IV3vGpdGBQ&usg=AFQjCNFcOzyjV5Q6Qk_ZiFOu7SjALd4G5w) dixon (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/dixon&r=67&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=2&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sig2=savGFDageU3xMB-DM6MIDg&usg=AFQjCNEfFn2V1x33CQ3fcfn6SgUGHrvNgA). (0.31 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,960,000 for michael (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/michael&r=67&ei=jAPoSZe0JqGMtgeYouDGBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=jAPoSZe0JqGMtgeYouDGBQ&sig2=R8UDAKcc2I14OHQ-DzHg5A&usg=AFQjCNHPG6omWbLz1qbHsStHqpVxHVYANw) schumacher. (0.07 seconds)

just google the name....

rh

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 14:53
cars on track in about 3 hours...

the first 30 minutes is reserved for rookies and racers not in the top 10 for points.....

it's only 30 minutes....but 8 of the top 10 have raced at long beach before...

points leader Briscoe should be fine being as penske has raced LB many a time.....but Vitor seems to be the odd man out on this deal....

probably not a big deal..... but

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 14:59
google danica patrick

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,250,000 for danica patrick. (0.10 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 120,000 for katherine legge. (0.08 seconds

Results 1 - 10 of about 8,150,000 for paul (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/paul&r=67&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sig2=3XrmoOVrEQ2EBg4VW8QNgA&usg=AFQjCNEV72YZnc3KPQVqjOuqJFmJ6jLwOg) tracy (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/tracy&r=67&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=2&ei=zQLoScq9MMertgfz5rnRBQ&sig2=Mq4jTsyzRGOE7so2rWKlPQ&usg=AFQjCNHifmCadSsECu3H_1GP3-wPPphjFA). (0.19 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 413,000 for helio (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/helio-&r=67&ei=BAPoSd3zIInhtgeiufjDBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=BAPoSd3zIInhtgeiufjDBQ&sig2=nyXcHkDkXrzZDTXjh0oUwg&usg=AFQjCNGjkzpRvRZ-OICj-B-AKn3jjVgLWg) castroneves. (0.12 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,500,000 for scott (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/scott&r=67&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sig2=kOpUuWfwD9q5IV3vGpdGBQ&usg=AFQjCNFcOzyjV5Q6Qk_ZiFOu7SjALd4G5w) dixon (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/dixon&r=67&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=2&ei=IwPoSbWLMOm_twfOg9SSBg&sig2=savGFDageU3xMB-DM6MIDg&usg=AFQjCNEfFn2V1x33CQ3fcfn6SgUGHrvNgA). (0.31 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,960,000 for michael (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/michael&r=67&ei=jAPoSZe0JqGMtgeYouDGBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=jAPoSZe0JqGMtgeYouDGBQ&sig2=R8UDAKcc2I14OHQ-DzHg5A&usg=AFQjCNHPG6omWbLz1qbHsStHqpVxHVYANw) schumacher. (0.07 seconds)

just google the name....

rh

is that the # of times someone has googled there names?.... or the amount of articles on the net containing that drivers name?

Hoop-98
17th April 2009, 15:04
is that the # of times someone has googled there names?.... or the amount of articles on the net containing that drivers name?

articles...

Trends are here:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=danica+patrick

rh

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 15:13
articles...

Trends are here:

rh

interesting....

but does punching in Paul tracy bring up articles with both 'Paul' and 'Tracy'... or just those containing both?

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 15:18
articles...

Trends are here:

rh

those are some intersting graphs... thanks

Hoop-98
17th April 2009, 15:23
Do Bourdais, that's real interesting. Also Scott SDixon and the 500 spike.

rh

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 15:30
its interesting the differnce between just Bourdais and if you add the name Sebastian to the front.......

and compare PT to buddy rice.... big spike for buddy in 2004.... then zilch in the way of search volume

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 15:32
try these two

Indy Racing League, Nascar

Indy500, Daytona 500

hmmm

Hoop-98
17th April 2009, 15:42
Surprised that the IRL gets more than NASCAR , remember the scale autosizes...Same for Indy vs Daytona hmmmm

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 15:45
Surprised that the IRL gets more than NASCAR ,

??

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Indy+Racing+league%2C+Nascar&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 15:47
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Porn%2C+nascar&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

^disturbing but not suprising

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 15:51
http://www.google.com/trends?q=tony+george%2C+scott+dixon&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

^another interesting comparison.....

Chamoo
17th April 2009, 16:44
First FIL practice done. Strous caused 2 full course cautions in the same run off area.

Experience seemed to play a large part in the final standings. I closed the T&S, but it seemed like drivers who had experience were dominating at some points throughout the session. At one point, 7 of the top 10 had experience at LB.

SarahFan
17th April 2009, 16:49
First FIL practice done. Strous caused 2 full course cautions in the same run off area.

Experience seemed to play a large part in the final standings. I closed the T&S, but it seemed like drivers who had experience were dominating at some points throughout the session. At one point, 7 of the top 10 had experience at LB.

like i said earlier... that doesn't bode well for miera today....should shake out after P3 and quals though

Mad_Hatter
17th April 2009, 19:25
Pos Driver Best Time
1 Dario Franchitti-- 01:11.2
2 Graham Rahal-- 01:11.7
3 Robert Doornbos-- 01:11.9
4 Scott Dixon-- 01:12.1
5 Mario Moraes-- 01:12.1
6 EJ Viso-- 01:12.1
7 Will Power-- 01:12.1
8 Ryan Briscoe-- 01:12.2
9 Raphael Matos-- 01:12.3
10 Ryan Hunter-Reay-- 01:12.4
11 Justin Wilson-- 01:12.5
12 Tony Kanaan-- 01:12.6
13 Hideki Mutoh-- 01:12.8
14 Mike Conway-- 01:13.3
15 Alex Tagliani-- 01:13.3
16 Vitor Meira-- 01:13.5
17 Marco Andretti-- 01:13.7
18 Darren Manning-- 01:13.9
19 Dan Wheldon-- 01:14.1
20 Ed Carpenter-- 01:14.1
21 Danica Patrick-- 01:14.9
22 Stanton Barrett-- 01:15.5

TURN3
17th April 2009, 20:18
Golly...driver of #7 car is looking good for the pole tomorrow!

Mad_Hatter
17th April 2009, 20:19
Just noticed, Excel rounded off the times...

garyshell
17th April 2009, 20:24
Golly...driver of #7 car is looking good for the pole tomorrow!

At 2.7 seconds off the pace, the only hope she has for a pole is if there is a strip club nearby.

Gary

F1boat
17th April 2009, 20:31
Damn. Wheldon is slow. But great job by Dario!

Mad_Hatter
17th April 2009, 21:03
Kanaan is in Dr. Pepper colors this weekend (http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=79209&size=med)

TURN3
17th April 2009, 21:07
At 2.7 seconds off the pace, the only hope she has for a pole is if there is a strip club nearby.

Gary

What if you turn the time sheet upside down?

EagleEye
17th April 2009, 21:08

Gary

...She would have done better back in the day, when there were some nice seedy places at the beach. Ah, memories...

Mad_Hatter
17th April 2009, 21:48
Matos- Air Force (http://www.indy500.com/image/fit/w/640/h/480/wm/1/?img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imscdn.com%2Fgallery%2F500%2 Findy%2F2009%2F20090417-rmcqueeney%2Fmed%2F1RMC0680-9464.jpg)

Another angle (http://www.indy500.com/image/fit/w/640/h/480/wm/1/?img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imscdn.com%2Fgallery%2F500%2 Findy%2F2009%2F20090417-rmcqueeney%2Fmed%2F1RMC0679-4003.jpg)

Cars back on track.

http://indycar.neulion.com/indy/console.jsp

http://scoring.indycar.com/flash/

DanicaFan
17th April 2009, 22:52
I like the looks of Matos' car and Kanaan's car.

TURN3
17th April 2009, 23:00
I like the looks of Matos' car and Kanaan's car.

How about Stanton Barret and Ed Carpenter? Isn't that where your focus is?

You're right though, the paint schemes are looking a little more sharp with some of these guys.

beachgirl
17th April 2009, 23:32
What if you turn the time sheet upside down?

If you do that, then a certain poster's prediction does in fact have a snowball's chance of being possible. However, in the here and now that the rest of us inhabit, no you cannot turn the time sheet upside down!

DanicaFan
17th April 2009, 23:35
Well, the 2nd practice session is in the books. Unfortunately again, Danica didnt move up in position. Still at 20th. http://lasttofirst.com/Smileys/yarex2/sad.gif The speeds were up in this session. Kudos to Will Power.

Here are the results of Practice Session 2...

Rank / Car # & Driver / Time / Speed / Best Lap

1. #3 Will Power / 01:10.5486 / 100.424 / 21
2. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:10.6678 / 100.255 / 19
3. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:10.8247 / 100.033 / 29
4. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:10.9033 / 99.922 / 24
5. #24 Mike Conway / 01:10.9981 / 99.789 / 28
6. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:11.0218 / 99.755 / 16
7. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:11.0263 / 99.749 / 17
8. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:11.1238 / 99.612 / 19
9. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:11.1416 / 99.587 / 16
10. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:11.1768 / 99.538 / 17
11. #13 EJ Viso / 01:11.2220 / 99.475 / 18
12. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:11.2319 / 99.461 / 21
13. #23 Darren Manning / 01:11.2441 / 99.444 / 21
14. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:11.2545 / 99.430 / 12
15. #5 Mario Moraes / 01:11.2702 / 99.408 / 4
16. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 01:11.5538 / 99.014 / 8
17. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:11.5771 / 98.981 / 15
18. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:11.7980 / 98.677 / 24
19. #14 Vitor Meira / 01:12.1896 / 98.142 / 10
20. #7 Danica Patrick / 01:12.2254 / 98.093 / 14
21. #20 Ed Carpenter / 01:12.5171 / 97.698 / 9
22. #98 Stanton Barrett / 01:14.073 / 95.645 / 18

bblocker68
17th April 2009, 23:49
Wow, just got back form the track. The paddock area went nuts on the Helio thing when people were informed of the trial verdict. I was at the tech sled when it all went down. I feel bad for Power and I hope that Verizon can foot the bill for more than 2 races, especially if Power could win the race on Sunday.

New liveries:

Matos in a great Air Force scheme.
RHR in the William Rast car that was posted on the IndyCar site last week.
Kanaan with Dr. Pepper colors. It looked great!
Mike Conway's car now has bare sidepods and a very tiny Dad's Rootbeer decal on it now.
Marco had the Meijer colors flying, but the major sponsor was AFS.
Wilson was back in the Z-Line car.
Bare sidepod's for Tag's.
Will Power's new car be black and red??

Beer was cold, taco's were excellent and iRacing was there, too.

Awesome day, can't wait until tomorrow!!

Phoenixent
18th April 2009, 00:36
Will Power's number 12 car unloading today.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/skarnes128/Name%20That%20Car/DSC00395a.jpg

gofastandwynn
18th April 2009, 01:10
How about Stanton Barret and Ed Carpenter? Isn't that where your focus is?

You're right though, the paint schemes are looking a little more sharp with some of these guys.

Hey, how about trying some class and not kicking someone when they are down?

beachbum
18th April 2009, 01:23
Well, the 2nd practice session is in the books. Unfortunately again, Danica didnt move up in position. Still at 20th. http://lasttofirst.com/Smileys/yarex2/sad.gif The speeds were up in this session. Kudos to Will Power.
Remember, its only practice.

EagleEye
18th April 2009, 02:15
Remember, its only practice.

The princess usually waits until the race to crash out.

I can not figure out why she is so off pace.

Easy Drifter
18th April 2009, 04:25
I have not had much use for 'Stompin' Danica but I am a little puzzled.
I know the competition is a little tougher but she is regressing not progressing.
I have never considered her any more than a mediocre driver but latterly she has become a consistent backmarker and further and further off the pace. By now she should have improved to some extent.
It may be that she needs someone to set the car up for her and she is not having this happen any more but by now she should be able to figure it out if (and maybe this is the problem) she and her engineer can relate to each other.
If she is a way off the pace on the ovals I would expect her to be gone, at least with AGR by next year. Even if she can pick up some pace on the ovals her performance on the road/street courses does not warrant a top ride.

NickFalzone
18th April 2009, 05:12
I don't see the fire in Danica's eyes that was there 1-2 seasons ago. That said, I think about what's changed since she went from really getting solid top 5s and podiums on road courses to running in the bottom third of the entire field, and the only thing that stands out (besides unification) is the new weight limits. Starting 08 season, each car now has a weight put in a supposedly non-beneficial location of the car that balances out the different driver weights. So a bigger guy like Dixon or Wilson, all in, comes in at the same weight at Danica's car. I always figured her weight was a big advantage on ovals, but now I think that momentum is more crucial there and weight comes into play much more so on the roads and streets. In a way, she's not only lost her advantage, but she's at a moderate disadvantage as she's on an even weight with drivers that are in much better shape and strength than her. There was also a pseudo power steering that she tested in 07 along with a couple other drivers like Manning, but from what I've read it's not a real power steering, and she hasn't used it since 07 anyway. I don't think they should do this, but if the IndyCars had a moderate power steering added to the spec, I think Danica's road and street results would significantly improve.

F1boat
18th April 2009, 05:23
Wheldon is close to the top! Yuppie! Go Dan Go!

coogmaster
18th April 2009, 05:54
Danica, Danica, "Princess", blah blah blah. Yawn. Wake me up when people talk about something else.

PS Will Power's car looks cool. Helio wins I bet.

F1boat
18th April 2009, 07:22
coogmaster, if Helio wins this will be a huge story.

Civic
18th April 2009, 07:32
A few of the 896 pics I took today...

Oriol Servia jogging in downtown Long Beach this morning.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08160.jpg

This is what happens when you clip the apex and hit the curb too hard upon entry to the backstraight.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08425.jpg

Doornbos' plain livery.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08550.jpg

My friend is getting commissioned next month. If he followed IndyCars he'd probably like this one.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08629.jpg

Saw this at the Firestone booth inside the convention center.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08691.jpg

Civic
18th April 2009, 07:33
I was at the hairpin for the second Friday session.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08900.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08907.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08912.jpg

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 14:06
Hoop...

who had pole in 1995 and at what speed?

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 15:03
Civic..... thanks for the photos!

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 15:04

Here are the results of Practice Session 2...

Rank / Car # & Driver / Time / Speed / Best Lap

1. #3 Will Power / 01:10.5486 / 100.424 / 21
2. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:10.6678 / 100.255 / 19
3. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:10.8247 / 100.033 / 29
4. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:10.9033 / 99.922 / 24
5. #24 Mike Conway / 01:10.9981 / 99.789 / 28
6. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:11.0218 / 99.755 / 16
7. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:11.0263 / 99.749 / 17
8. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:11.1238 / 99.612 / 19
9. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:11.1416 / 99.587 / 16
10. #02 Graham Rahal / 01:11.1768 / 99.538 / 17
11. #13 EJ Viso / 01:11.2220 / 99.475 / 18
12. #18 Justin Wilson / 01:11.2319 / 99.461 / 21
13. #23 Darren Manning / 01:11.2441 / 99.444 / 21
14. #06 Robert Doornbos / 01:11.2545 / 99.430 / 12
15. #5 Mario Moraes / 01:11.2702 / 99.408 / 4
16. #27 Hideki Mutoh / 01:11.5538 / 99.014 / 8
17. #34 Alex Tagliani / 01:11.5771 / 98.981 / 15
18. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:11.7980 / 98.677 / 24
19. #14 Vitor Meira / 01:12.1896 / 98.142 / 10
20. #7 Danica Patrick / 01:12.2254 / 98.093 / 14
21. #20 Ed Carpenter / 01:12.5171 / 97.698 / 9
22. #98 Stanton Barrett / 01:14.073 / 95.645 / 18

is Danica still your pick for the 500 win D?

Hoop-98
18th April 2009, 15:48
Hoop...

who had pole in 1995 and at what speed?

Michael Andretti but different layout.

rh

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 15:53
Michael Andretti but different layout.

rh

I know the layout has changed... thats why I asked about speed not elapsed time...I cant seem to find it...

beachbum
18th April 2009, 16:05
Civic..... thanks for the photos!Very nice photos. It is interesting to see the subtle differences in the cars with such large clear pictures.

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 16:09
Very nice photos. It is interesting to see the subtle differences in the cars with such large clear pictures.

is it just me or the angle or where the mirrors are mounted?.... but does the air intake on the left of the #3 look smaller then right?....but the same on size on the others

Hoop-98
18th April 2009, 16:17
I know the layout has changed... thats why I asked about speed not elapsed time...I cant seem to find it...

Much faster layout,a 95 car would be slower than todays on the same track.

rh

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 16:19
Much faster layout,a 95 car would be slower than todays on the same track.

rh
thanks

and am i on crack about the left intake on the penske?....

Hoop-98
18th April 2009, 16:31
I can't tell about the opening, diferent angles, and contrast.

rh

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 16:39
I can't tell about the opening, diferent angles, and contrast.

rh

take a peek at the red strip across the front of the driver...

the intake on the left only goes about 1" past and not past the mirror.... the right goes about 6" or so and past the mirror...

I'm sure its nothing more than penske cheatin.....but seriosly....no big deal?... or would there be a reason for that?.....are those intakes more aero or cooling... or both?

Hoop-98
18th April 2009, 17:15
There are 2 water radiators in the right side, Oil Cooler in the left. No big deal, and makes it easier to service the on-board N20 and Traction Control units.

On the Champcar they adjusted the size per cooling requirements. I assume something similar for Indycars.

rh

NickFalzone
18th April 2009, 17:50
Last season it got out that Penske was making some improvements in the radiator area. They were covering up that area of the car with umbrellas when Helio pitted with an issue at Mid Ohio.

SarahFan
18th April 2009, 18:07
Last season it got out that Penske was making some improvements in the radiator area. They were covering up that area of the car with umbrellas when Helio pitted with an issue at Mid Ohio.

thats interesting

Civic
18th April 2009, 18:39
The port/left sidepod intake is wider than the starboard/right. On the other cars the "blockoff plate" is black. You can see it in my head-on shot of Tony Kanaan.

I know in Champ Car (Lola and Reynard, not sure about Panoz) they used duct tape to adjust the sidepod intake size.

Civic
18th April 2009, 18:40
You guys probably didn't notice this but I did and I had to correct it.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC08962.jpg

Civic
18th April 2009, 20:25
Review my hairpin pics, Stanton Barrett's starboard sidepod intake has tape instead of block off plates.

Wilson, Viso, Tagliani, and a few others have bigger block off plates that have holes for the upper suspension wishbone to go through. Tagliani also has tape over part of the block off plate on his starboard sidepod.

Civic
18th April 2009, 21:47
Here's a video I made of various race cars at Long Beach. You can compare the sounds of the different race cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeMxLnENmo

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:18
Well, the 6 drivers going to the Fast 6 are..

Dario Franchitti
EJ Viso
Justin Wilson
Will Power
Raphael Matos
Scott Dixon

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:21
EJ Viso is running fast here at qualifying. Be cool to see him win a pole.

Fast 6 coming right up..

El Sween
18th April 2009, 23:23
Kanaan ain't too happy with his team mates....

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:24
That was a low key and interesting interview with TK, wasnt it?

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:26
That is one sharp hair pin turn. :eek:

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:34
Congrats to Will Power...gets the pole!

El Sween
18th April 2009, 23:35
That was a low key and interesting interview with TK, wasnt it?

Yes indeed. Clearly some problems there.

Well done Will.

anthonyvop
18th April 2009, 23:38
2008 Long Beach Pole 1:06.902 (Champ Car)
2009 Long Beach Pole 1:09:710 (IndyCar)

I miss the Panoz

El Sween
18th April 2009, 23:39

I miss the Panoz

Me too but this is what we have now so best to make the most of it :)

harvick#1
18th April 2009, 23:39

well would you be happy if those were your teammate ;)

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:40
What a good job by Penske this weekend. Put Will in a new car and he gets the pole and Castroneves gets in the car for the first time in a couple months and does pretty well.

harvick#1
18th April 2009, 23:41
Helio crashed, hows that doing pretty well

El Sween
18th April 2009, 23:42

Good point :)

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:43
He ran well except for that little mishap. Still made the Fast 12. Starting 8th. Im proud of him, I dont care if you are or not, but if you arent, than you dont understand racing.

DanicaFan
18th April 2009, 23:50
Here is the starting grid for tommorow's race...

1. #12 Will Power
2. #10 Dario Franchitti
3. #2 Raphael Matos
4. #13 EJ Viso
5. #18 Justin Wilson
6. #9 Scott Dixon
7. #02 Graham Rahal
8. #3 Helio Castroneves
9. #34 Alex Tagliani
10. #6 Ryan Briscoe
11. #11 Tony Kanaan
12. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay
13. #5 Mario Moraes
14. #4 Dan Wheldon
15. #06 Robert Doornbos
16. #24 Mike Conway
17. #27 Hideki Mutoh
18. #23 Darren Manning
19. #26 Marco Andretti
20. #14 Vitor Meira
21. #98 Stanton Barrett
22. #7 Danica Patrick
23. #20 Ed Carpenter

coogmaster
19th April 2009, 00:03

I missed it, what happened? Kanaan acting surly?

NickFalzone
19th April 2009, 00:05
I taped qualies, will check it tomorrow. But looking at that list, Danica and Ed should be ashamed of themselves.

beachgirl
19th April 2009, 00:13
I missed it, what happened? Kanaan acting surly?

Testy. Very testy.

harvick#1
19th April 2009, 00:23
He ran well except for that little mishap. Still made the Fast 12. Starting 8th. Im proud of him, I dont care if you are or not, but if you arent, than you dont understand racing.

enlighten me, how I don't understand racing

harvick#1
19th April 2009, 00:25
Here is the starting grid for tommorow's race...

21. #98 Stanton Barrett
22. #7 Danica Patrick
23. #20 Ed Carpenter

hey Stanton is no longer the backmarker :laugh:

Hoop-98
19th April 2009, 00:30
He is the slowest...

http://i39.tinypic.com/w2hkza.jpg

Easy Drifter
19th April 2009, 00:36
Since Qualifying isn't covered up here (The race is not shown until 3 am Mon. morning unless you have TSN2 which Bell Satellite dropped) would someone please tell us what TK had to say and secondly what happened to Ed and Danica. I know Ed is slow but DP was reasonable in last practice.

Hoop-98
19th April 2009, 00:40
Since Qualifying isn't covered up here (The race is not shown until 3 am Mon. morning unless you have TSN2 which Bell Satellite dropped) would someone please tell us what TK had to say and secondly what happened to Ed and Danica. I know Ed is slow but DP was reasonable in last practice.

Danica spun and hit the wall, didn't get many laps..

gofastandwynn
19th April 2009, 00:43
Danica spun and hit the wall, didn't get many laps..

Also when she spun she brought out a full course yellow, thus she lost her 2 fastest laps

gofastandwynn
19th April 2009, 00:46

Since he hasn't even driven a car since Surfers, I would say he has done a pretty good job.

Easy Drifter
19th April 2009, 00:53
Thank you.

gofastandwynn
19th April 2009, 01:09

I miss the Panoz

2008 Long Beach Pole: 1:15.947 (Atlantics)
2009 Long Beach Pole: 1:15.2695 (Lights)

and the top 10 qualifiers were faster than the Atlantic pole.

I don't miss the Atlantics.

SarahFan
19th April 2009, 01:43
He is the slowest...

http://i39.tinypic.com/w2hkza.jpg

by over 2 sec

Alfa Fan
19th April 2009, 02:03

You get a lot of unfair abuse on this forum. I thought I'd give credit where credits due here. Danica's sure put herself in the ideal spot to win tomorrow. Who'll do more laps tomorrow? Stanton or Danica? My moneys on Stanton.

anthonyvop
19th April 2009, 02:15
2008 Long Beach Pole: 1:15.947 (Atlantics)
2009 Long Beach Pole: 1:15.2695 (Lights)

and the top 10 qualifiers were faster than the Atlantic pole.

I don't miss the Atlantics.
Considering the Lights have almost 150 hp more the gap isn't as big as one would think.

Hoop-98
19th April 2009, 02:39
Considering the Atlantics have 25 percent more downforce and not sure why 120 is almost 150 the differences is exactly what it is....

rh

Phoenixent
19th April 2009, 02:42
Well I would say that the garage area has the feel of CART in the 1990's. Drivers and team owners greating the fans. I even saw Chip Ganassi talking to a little girl that stop by his trailer. Then there is this a Long Beach GP program with a cover of Indy 500 Aces. The drivers on this are Johnny Rutherford, Al Unser Jr., Rick Mears, AJ Foyt Jr., Gil DeFerran, Dan Weldon, Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves, Danny Sullivan. That's 20 Indy 500 wins on one cover in one weekend.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/skarnes128/Picture005a.jpg

bblocker68
19th April 2009, 02:52
Power is looking good for my prediction to win tomorrow.

If he's a winner, do you guys think Penske and Verizon will find a way to run Power for the rest of the season??

Will just became my favorite IndyCar driver.

Power FTW!!

jimispeed
19th April 2009, 06:05
Check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLo0yYRXUfE

OMG....That was everything racing at Long beach should be! Cars gettin' loose with power, and amazing cars and drivers! Maybe we'll get back there again someday.. WOW!!!

garyshell
19th April 2009, 06:22
What the video made me miss was Alex! DAMN, what a driver. Look at that freakin' pushrod!

Gary

jimispeed
19th April 2009, 06:54
What the video made me miss was Alex! DAMN, what a driver. Look at that freakin' pushrod!

Gary

Those cars had serious quickness!

Amazing wasn't he? He's doing pretty well in the WTCC as well! Hopefully we'll see a win again this year!

ozrevhead
19th April 2009, 11:37
Power is looking good for my prediction to win tomorrow.

If he's a winner, do you guys think Penske and Verizon will find a way to run Power for the rest of the season??

Will just became my favorite IndyCar driver.

Power FTW!!
hope so - fingers crossed :)

Shame Ryan wasnt closer to the front but that doenst phase him

Aussie 1-2 at long beach....BOOKMARK IT! :D

SarahFan
19th April 2009, 11:52
just about 9 hours to green.....heading to the airport in an hour

flying standby.... so I'll either be in the sun or my livingroom

wish me a bit of luck

F1boat
19th April 2009, 12:53
I have a question for you, dudes. Gil de Ferran scored his first LBGP win in the ALMS race, right? He never won here in CART?

Civic
19th April 2009, 13:25
He was $2 away from a win in 1996.

SarahFan
19th April 2009, 14:18
He was $2 away from a win in 1996.

Felt for him that day.....

maxmach
19th April 2009, 15:37
This is great, there are 10 guys who could win this, I like them all, it's going to be a great show, indycar is coming around. NOw if we can just survive long enough for people to see the show. Go go go...

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 20:34
AS I sit here...the show begins.....I am thinking I have to root for Tag's but I really have no issue with anyone winning or losing. I just want to see a good race.

harvick#1
19th April 2009, 20:53
I'll be rooting for Will, I feel ashamed hes got no ride for the year, hes way too good not to have a ride while there are so so many amateurs that have great rides

TURN3
19th April 2009, 20:59
I'll be rooting for Will, I feel ashamed hes got no ride for the year, hes way too good not to have a ride while there are so so many amateurs that have great rides

Meaning in part 75% of AGR I presume.

Mad_Hatter
19th April 2009, 21:52
How can Scott Dixon go from a near flawless run last year to causing three accidents in two races this year???

themo
19th April 2009, 23:04
Scott Dixon stopped on the track

underpowered
19th April 2009, 23:14
Dixon has been bashed and shunted by every moron on the track. I bet he wishes he could back to before all these idiots joined the series......Briscoe included!

There need to be bigger penalties for poor driving like Briscoe. Its a yellow flag!

underpowered
19th April 2009, 23:18
How can Scott Dixon go from a near flawless run last year to causing three accidents in two races this year???

How did he cause Briscoe to pole drive into him at 150MPH under yellow?

I guess this year if you're down in the pack a little you have to contend with some very bad driving.

underpowered
19th April 2009, 23:19

Last race he parked in another drivers pit. I think he is the amateur.

themo
19th April 2009, 23:22
Very Bad driving by briscoe

DanicaFan
19th April 2009, 23:33
Congrats to Dario Franchitti for the win.

Danica ran an awesome race to get 4th! Way to go girl!!! :D

DanicaFan
19th April 2009, 23:42
Here are the final results for Long Beach..

1. #10 Dario Franchitti
2. #12 Will Power
3. #11 Tony Kanaan
4. #7 Danica Patrick
5. #4 Dan Wheldon
6. #26 Marco Andretti
7. #3 Helio Castroneves
8. #2 Raphael Matos
9. #06 Robert Doornbos
10. #34 Alex Tagliani
11. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay
12. #02 Graham Rahal
13. #6 Ryan Briscoe
14. #14 Vitor Meira
15. #9 Scott Dixon
16. #23 Darren Manning
17. #98 Stanton Barrett
18. #20 Ed Carpenter
19. #5 Mario Moraes
20. #27 Hideki Mutoh
21.#24 Mike Conway
22. #18 Justin Wilson
23. #13 EJ Viso

harvick#1
19th April 2009, 23:46

hmm same could be said from Dixon, he knocked EJ out of the race early in the race ;)

jimispeed
19th April 2009, 23:47
Here are the final results for Long Beach..

1. #10 Dario Franchitti
2. #12 Will Power
3. #11 Tony Kanaan
4. #7 Danica Patrick
5. #4 Dan Wheldon
6. #26 Marco Andretti
7. #3 Helio Castroneves
8. #2 Raphael Matos
9. #06 Robert Doornbos
10. #34 Alex Tagliani
11. #21 Ryan Hunter-Reay
12. #02 Graham Rahal
13. #6 Ryan Briscoe
14. #14 Vitor Meira
15. #9 Scott Dixon
16. #23 Darren Manning
17. #98 Stanton Barrett
18. #20 Ed Carpenter
19. #5 Mario Moraes
20. #27 Hideki Mutoh
21.#24 Mike Conway
22. #18 Justin Wilson
23. #13 EJ Viso

Could have been Will, if he didn't flub..... Great race for Danica today!!

TURN3
19th April 2009, 23:52
You can congratulate Back of Pack Danica for a 4th place finish but it had NOTHING to do with her driving an awesome race. She didn't pass a single car the entire race, including that of Ed Carpenter when Ed was out front of her. She, as usual, was the roulette winner that got her a place in line.

All in all, for these cars the first time to LB, I have to say how depressing of a race that really was. There were virtually no passes, except for Power passing Danica and Tags passing Hunter-Reay. Dario made one but seriously, that parade was worse than Belle Isle. Very disappointing action from LBGP in my opinion.

As far as Dixon, what was his deal today? He single handedly took 6 cars out of the race or contention.

DanicaFan
19th April 2009, 23:55
Yeah, whatever Turn, Danica cant do anything right to you.

ozrevhead
19th April 2009, 23:58
Fantasic Result for Will :D - I think they dont have the third car til Indy :mad:

Now I love Ryan to bits everyone knows that but sometimes he can do somthing silly that gives you the urge to pull your hair out! Fustrating day out there today but he will bounce back, its going to take more than one race for me not to keep the faith!

Good weekend for Aussie Motorsport fans overall :D

TURN3
20th April 2009, 00:01
Yeah, whatever Turn, Danica cant do anything right to you.

?

I said you can congratulate her for finishing 4th. Bottom line, that is all that counts. But can you tell me how that makes her suddenly a legitimate driver? What are the facts? She finished 4th on 2 complete luck yellow flag pit stops and she DID NOT pass a car the entire race. So no, unitl she can finish a singel timed session above 18th and start making competitive passes you're right, she can't do anything right for me. She shouldn't even have a ride in this series.

All you have to do is explain to me with facts and stats why I should consider a professional race car driver. You've never even tried because you can't.

Point of the day is....does anybody else agree it was a boring race? Too much fuel conservation, too many marbles, too similiar of cars, etc.

downtowndeco
20th April 2009, 00:18
It was a typical street race. That's why I'm glad that the IRL probably won't be adding any more of these soon.

All in all a pretty good (street) race IMO.

PS. Way to go Danica!

Point of the day is....does anybody else agree it was a boring race? Too much fuel conservation, too many marbles, too similiar of cars, etc.

bzcam
20th April 2009, 00:22
You can congratulate Back of Pack Danica for a 4th place finish but it had NOTHING to do with her driving an awesome race. She didn't pass a single car the entire race, including that of Ed Carpenter when Ed was out front of her. She, as usual, was the roulette winner that got her a place in line.

All in all, for these cars the first time to LB, I have to say how depressing of a race that really was. There were virtually no passes, except for Power passing Danica and Tags passing Hunter-Reay. Dario made one but seriously, that parade was worse than Belle Isle. Very disappointing action from LBGP in my opinion.

As far as Dixon, what was his deal today? He single handedly took 6 cars out of the race or contention.

Here, here. I was going to post my comments but you summed it up nicely. This was a boring parade. All we needed was a high school band, a drill team and the local mayor with the key to the city. As wet as it was, the F1 GP of China was much more exciting and fun to watch. Now, bring on the drive-fast, turn-left portion of the season. Wake me up when its over....

BZ

harvick#1
20th April 2009, 01:00
Last race he parked in another drivers pit. I think he is the amateur.

please name one driver that hasn't done that, please. not one pit-road incident, it happens to every driver, Will told the media what happened also

beachgirl
20th April 2009, 01:23
please name one driver that hasn't done that, please. not one pit-road incident, it happens to every driver, Will told the media what happened also

It's ok, H #1 - only those who have never raced, and have never experienced a pit road in the middle of a race with all the rigs, uniforms, number boards, etc. all out at the same time (and 2/3 of them in the same color), would continue to hold one missed pit box error against a driver. Especially a driver with a brand new team.

If they think finding your pit in those circumstances is easy, they should go try it instead of criticizing from the keyboard.

FIAT1
20th April 2009, 01:23
Race that was not. Parade of low power cars. Will P. is great racer with a situation and a car to finish 2nd is big. Again pit stops and yellows helped those who can't race. Possibility is there to make LB great again.

NickFalzone
20th April 2009, 01:35
Street racing looks pretty, can have a nice crowd but it's not particularly exciting. Every once in awhile there's a decent F1 or IRL race that has some passing, ALMS can be ok, but today's was a bore. I'm happy to see Dario dominate the event, though not exactly surprised. Looking forward to the ovals and road courses now and perhaps some actual back and forth racing as opposed to parades and crashes.

NickFalzone
20th April 2009, 02:04
Turn3, I think you're exaggerating there. Granted, she did benefit greatly from the way the cautions fell, but so did Dario and Power, they all pitted at opportune times. I don't hear anyone calling our Dario or Will's finishes due to that. What I see with Danica is a driver that rarely gets to the front except through strategy, but once she gets a position she tends to stay there. I think that's a skill. If she had made a successful pass on Tony or Will my jaw would have been on the floor, I've never seen her make a clutch pass like that, usually it's around lapped or slow traffic. But her conservative approach has also led to some ok results, usually top 10s sometimes top 5s. She's not an exciting driver to watch, but as a midpack talent she does OK.

jarrambide
20th April 2009, 02:36
Street racing looks pretty, can have a nice crowd but it's not particularly exciting. Every once in awhile there's a decent F1 or IRL race that has some passing, ALMS can be ok, but today's was a bore. I'm happy to see Dario dominate the event, though not exactly surprised. Looking forward to the ovals and road courses now and perhaps some actual back and forth racing as opposed to parades and crashes.

F1 after only 3 races has more passes than themselves and IRL combined total passes for the last 3 years (huge exaggeration on my part just to make a point), that "every once in awhile" comment is not true anymore for F1, 3 races packed with lots of passes for position, many of them for the first 3 places, proving me and many wrong that it was not possible to have exciting races by changing rules dramatically.

Different series, different situations, but perhaps IRL can keep trying until they find the right changes to increase meaningful on track passes.

Hopefully one of the changes will be to minimize if not eradicate street races, I know many here romanticize Long Beach, just like many romanticize Monaco in F1, but the truth is that both create snore fests.

Anubis
20th April 2009, 02:41
Whilst I'm hesitant to get drawn in to yet another Danica debate, I'm struggling to see why there's quite so much hostility regarding her race performance? Whilst accepting she didn't exactly blaze through the pack, neither did anybody else. I'd have thought bringing it home in a solid fourth and staying out of trouble when many others were bouncing off each other and/or the wall would merit a mention, even a grudging one? She may have benefitted from cautions, but you play the hand you are dealt. I can't see how gaining position from yellows caused by someone ELSE parking it in the fence can be used to belittle what was a pretty solid drive? Not exactly a thrilling race, but plenty of people managed to bin it, she didn't and gained as a result. That strikes me as a pretty decent strategy in a street race, to be honest.

45 Below
20th April 2009, 03:30
I'll poked my nose in and post for the first time in a while just to say what a great job Danica did. I'm no great fan of hers but she drove a good race, showed some pace and certainly didn't back up the train like I thought she might.

jimispeed
20th April 2009, 03:56
Danica drove a good race, kept her nose clean and finished clean at fourth.....

She did the job she was supposed to do today. Good Job!!

harvick#1
20th April 2009, 03:59
if another thing, Vs. made the bonehead broadcast move like ESPN does, who the hell goes to commercial with 5 laps left while under green :mark:

underpowered
20th April 2009, 04:33
hmm same could be said from Dixon, he knocked EJ out of the race early in the race ;)

That was a shocker from EJ. He dived up the outside without anywhere to go, he should have been a little more patient. Dive bombing isnt passing.

underpowered
20th April 2009, 04:37
Whilst I'm hesitant to get drawn in to yet another Danica debate, I'm struggling to see why there's quite so much hostility regarding her race performance? Whilst accepting she didn't exactly blaze through the pack, neither did anybody else. I'd have thought bringing it home in a solid fourth and staying out of trouble when many others were bouncing off each other and/or the wall would merit a mention, even a grudging one? She may have benefitted from cautions, but you play the hand you are dealt. I can't see how gaining position from yellows caused by someone ELSE parking it in the fence can be used to belittle what was a pretty solid drive? Not exactly a thrilling race, but plenty of people managed to bin it, she didn't and gained as a result. That strikes me as a pretty decent strategy in a street race, to be honest.

I agree. I am not a Danica fan, but she drove a great race and I give her credit for that.

bblocker68
20th April 2009, 04:40
That was a shocker from EJ. He dived up the outside without anywhere to go, he should have been a little more patient. Dive bombing isnt passing.

Diving up or dive bombing are inside moves. EJ was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Dixon got wheel spin out of the corner, found himself in a bad place and didn't see his spot was occupied by another driver, Viso.

EJ got hit, Dixon crossed into his lane.

TURN3
20th April 2009, 04:46

Come on man...Dixon is a great champion and racer but he was totally at fault there. You can't try to pass, give up on it, then change your line in the middle of the turn. He was obviously looking ahead and didn't see Viso but he's totally at fault there. He also caused the chain reaction 5 cars pile up in the hairpin. Add to that his dive bomb on Mutoh at St. Pete and It looks to have the makings of a case he now has a faster teammate he's pressing to catch. He'll be back but right now, he is struggling.

underpowered
20th April 2009, 04:46

What a load of rubbish! Explain the 6 cars. I have watched the video again and every one of the three incidents I could find was caused by the other driver.....including that weird brain explosion by Briscoe.

The only way a fast driver can stay out of trouble in this new IRL is by winning a place in the top 4. It is Demo Derby at the back of the pack.

45 Below
20th April 2009, 05:02
Regarding the Viso incident. I think there was a lot going on at that moment because they had all suddenly bunched up. For those few moments I think Dixon was more occupied with what was going on head of him and to his left, rather than what was coming from behind and his right. I thought it was just one of those racing incidents.

TURN3
20th April 2009, 05:19
What a load of rubbish! Explain the 6 cars. I have watched the video again and every one of the three incidents I could find was caused by the other driver.....including that weird brain explosion by Briscoe.

The only way a fast driver can stay out of trouble in this new IRL is by winning a place in the top 4. It is Demo Derby at the back of the pack.

First off, I'm not trying to dog Dixon but, every driver has their day and so far this year he's had 2 that weren't his. The 6 cars I was referring to are Viso obviously, and the 5 cars piled up in the hair pin after he clocked the back of Rahal.

I have no issues with contact in racing. I sort of feel like if you never have any, you're probably not fast enough (could make a point of a certain popular driver here). I agree he was occupied with passing car in front on the Viso incident but you're not allowed to change your line and he clearly did that. For a guy like him to pull that in a jumbled up mess there, I think he has to be "at fault". Clearly though, it is racing and not supposed to be a parade like the vast majority of today's race.

Apparently there is another way to move to the front too...just qualify at that back and pit early. Then you don't have to pass a single car and you'll work your way to the front of the parade. We need a new formula fast...engine, chassis, and tires. Mix up the combos each team chooses and you'll get back to where passing on these courses is possibile.

underpowered
20th April 2009, 05:34
Come on man...Dixon is a great champion and racer but he was totally at fault there. You can't try to pass, give up on it, then change your line in the middle of the turn. He was obviously looking ahead and didn't see Viso but he's totally at fault there. He also caused the chain reaction 5 cars pile up in the hairpin. Add to that his dive bomb on Mutoh at St. Pete and It looks to have the makings of a case he now has a faster teammate he's pressing to catch. He'll be back but right now, he is struggling.

Rubbish, EJ dive bombed up the outside three wide, EJ has to know that it may go wrong. I have re-watched it a couple of times now.

The chain reaction started three cars ahead of Dixon.

I accept that Dixon caused the contact with Mutoh, for the same reason I think EJ caused the contact with Dixon. It is very hard to pass on street courses, sometimes it is best to not try.

underpowered
20th April 2009, 05:47
First off, I'm not trying to dog Dixon but, every driver has their day and so far this year he's had 2 that weren't his. The 6 cars I was referring to are Viso obviously, and the 5 cars piled up in the hair pin after he clocked the back of Rahal.

I have no issues with contact in racing. I sort of feel like if you never have any, you're probably not fast enough (could make a point of a certain popular driver here). I agree he was occupied with passing car in front on the Viso incident but you're not allowed to change your line and he clearly did that. For a guy like him to pull that in a jumbled up mess there, I think he has to be "at fault". Clearly though, it is racing and not supposed to be a parade like the vast majority of today's race.

Apparently there is another way to move to the front too...just qualify at that back and pit early. Then you don't have to pass a single car and you'll work your way to the front of the parade. We need a new formula fast...engine, chassis, and tires. Mix up the combos each team chooses and you'll get back to where passing on these courses is possibile.

I agree, the luck involved in the pits was frustrating, but I guess thats racing also.

I can't wait to get back to the ovals! at least there is room to pass slower cars and less accidents. I was never a big oval fan a few years back but I am finding myself waiting anxiously for the action to start when we get to the ovals.

underpowered
20th April 2009, 05:51
Diving up or dive bombing are inside moves. EJ was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Dixon got wheel spin out of the corner, found himself in a bad place and didn't see his spot was occupied by another driver, Viso.

EJ got hit, Dixon crossed into his lane.

Dixon was inches away from the car in front. I dont buy EJ's excuse that Scott was slow out of the previous corner. If that was the case he wouldnt have been all over the car in front.

EJ just needs to "man up" and say it was a 50/50 pass that didnt work out.

Like Scott said about his contact with Mutoh last race.

DBell
20th April 2009, 13:00
Rubbish, EJ dive bombed up the outside three wide, EJ has to know that it may go wrong. I have re-watched it a couple of times now.

The chain reaction started three cars ahead of Dixon.

I accept that Dixon caused the contact with Mutoh, for the same reason I think EJ caused the contact with Dixon. It is very hard to pass on street courses, sometimes it is best to not try.

It was Dixon who was on the inside and moved to the outside lane where EJ was. I don't see how you can blame EJ for that. A racing incident for sure, but Dixon was the one who was moving from one side of the track to the other.

nigelred5
20th April 2009, 16:19

Well, that's been a strategy as ong as there's been pit stops that I've been watching. I'll give you about hte last 10 year of F1 racing as an example. There was no passing for position anywhere but in the pits. I will agree that it sucks though it's far from new.

I know its one of the signatures of the LB course layout, but that corner sucks from the first lap to the last, and they clearly have an option for a layout that wouldn't create such a problematic corner year after year, no matter what series is running. If it's not screwing up a start, it's driver s either bottlenecking the turn with stupid moves, or it's drivers pancaking the wall trying to get off the corner. I think the only clean fair start thanks to the hairpin I've ever seen at LB was last year's standing start. They improved the entry to the hairpin dramatically when they moved the walls back a few years ago, but it still sucks. It's too narrow, and the hairpin is too tight. The two seater couldn't even make the turn for cripe's sake.

I know some like it and it's an integral part of the course and it actually does create passing opportunities on drivers that can't get out of the hairpin well, but I just hate that turn.

elis
20th April 2009, 17:31
I think EJ caused the contact with Dixon. It is very hard to pass on street courses, sometimes it is best to not try.

You're perhaps one of the few who saw it that way :s

Dixon drove into Viso, not the other way round. It's as clear as the red nose on Rudolph, EJ maintained his line & Scott squeezed EJ into the wall when he moved off his. Where in the heck was the #13 supposed to go?

Not necessarily a deliberate swipe I concur, but a definate veer off his line & into Viso who already occupied that bit of concrete.

harvick#1
20th April 2009, 17:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkz_9zV3mi8

the video doesn't lie, Dixon drove right into Viso

jimispeed
20th April 2009, 17:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkz_9zV3mi8

the video doesn't lie, Dixon drove right into Viso

It did look like he moved over into him, but everyone was slowing and bottlenecking up, so I'm not sure that Viso slowed enough! There was no room for error there on anyones part.

harvick#1
20th April 2009, 18:22
It did look like he moved over into him, but everyone was slowing and bottlenecking up, so I'm not sure that Viso slowed enough! There was no room for error there on anyones part.

EJ was following the racing line, Scott went for a look at Will, and drove right into EJ after he knew it was a no go on the pass, EJ was in absolute no wrong and 100% blame goes to Scott.

underpowered
20th April 2009, 20:27
EJ was following the racing line, Scott went for a look at Will, and drove right into EJ after he knew it was a no go on the pass, EJ was in absolute no wrong and 100% blame goes to Scott.

EJ saw Scott was held up by Will and decided to dive bomb down the outside. Scott moves across to ensure he can take the corners (not enough room to get around the corner otherwise) only to find a car flying at about 160MPH to his right. I guess no driver would expect someone flying down there.

If Scott had managed to swerve back out of his way, they still wouldnt have made it around the bend two wide as it is too tight. Scott may have been able to jump on the brakes and attempt to pull in behind, but that would have locked them and he would have gone straight ahead. It was always going to be an accident to try the pass.

Sloppy driving my EJ. He just needs to show a little more patience. It was disapointed in his excuse during the interview also. Going on about Scott being slow out of the previous bend was clearly incorrect when you watch the video.

I hope EJ improves this impulsive driving as I think he is a fast driver and better than some that finished alot further up.

underpowered
20th April 2009, 20:31
You're perhaps one of the few who saw it that way :s

Dixon drove into Viso, not the other way round. It's as clear as the red nose on Rudolph, EJ maintained his line & Scott squeezed EJ into the wall when he moved off his. Where in the heck was the #13 supposed to go?

Not necessarily a deliberate swipe I concur, but a definate veer off his line & into Viso who already occupied that bit of concrete.

Flying down the outside and occupying a piece of concrete doesnt constitute a safe pass. EJ needs to understand the other driver needs enough room to get around the corner also. Scott was lucky the contact happened just before the corner. If scott had tried to give him room they would have both not made the corner and that would have blocked the track.

evo5_mat
20th April 2009, 20:34
Hi can anyone tell me the crowds, ok i didnt go this year but i was suprised from the tv cams and over head shots, how many large gaps were in the grandstands compared to the previous few years, even last year race there seemed to be a impression there were more ?

Maybe the economic claimate taking it toll ?

As for the race, it had some moments of excitement and very dull points. From a cornerworkers side of things, the safety team doesnt seem upto the task on knowledge how to get cars out of a situation very quickly compared to the well trained champcar safety team of pervious years,as street tracks are very different kinda animals to the ovals.

elis
20th April 2009, 21:32
Flying down the outside and occupying a piece of concrete doesnt constitute a safe pass. EJ needs to understand the other driver needs enough room to get around the corner also. Scott was lucky the contact happened just before the corner. If scott had tried to give him room they would have both not made the corner and that would have blocked the track.

Good lawd. Viso was on the exact same line as Wilson & Matos into the corner, Dixon was behind Will on a completely different line, he jinked left behind Power then sharp right directly into Viso.

So to play devils advocat.. had Viso not been there, where would he be? Probably plowing into the back of Dixon as Dixon would still have made a sudden left-right double dart & cut infront of the 13.

Clearly we beg to differ, it's a racing incident, but the consensus does seem to be that Dixon rather than Viso should shoulder this one.

DBell
20th April 2009, 22:39
Hi can anyone tell me the crowds, ok i didnt go this year but i was suprised from the tv cams and over head shots, how many large gaps were in the grandstands compared to the previous few years, even last year race there seemed to be a impression there were more ?

Maybe the economic claimate taking it toll ?

I talked to my brother-in-law this morning. He goes every year. He's an event fan, not a race fan so he has no interest in the CART/CC vs IRL war. He thought the crowd was down a little from last year and down more from the year before.

underpowered
21st April 2009, 01:48
Good lawd. Viso was on the exact same line as Wilson & Matos into the corner, Dixon was behind Will on a completely different line, he jinked left behind Power then sharp right directly into Viso.

So to play devils advocat.. had Viso not been there, where would he be? Probably plowing into the back of Dixon as Dixon would still have made a sudden left-right double dart & cut infront of the 13.

Clearly we beg to differ, it's a racing incident, but the consensus does seem to be that Dixon rather than Viso should shoulder this one.

Wrong!

I think Dixon should have left EJ there and turned left into the corner. Then EJ would have had no choice but drive into the wall as he would have no room to turn left also. Scott needed rom to negotiate the corner and EJ didnt leave any, just plain bad driving on EJ's part

I feel sorry for EJ. It's his impatience like this that has kept him at the back of the pack. He should not have finished 17th last year with his experience.

If he had not gone flying up the outside he would have finished in about 5 or 6. But instead he wanted to pass Scott in a 50/50 move.

He has won Championships before and should know this stuff.

dj4monie
21st April 2009, 02:37
Well it wasn't THAT bad....

Good crowd as always in the LBC.

My media center balked at recording it live so I was forced to watch the shorten replay today. They didn't even play the winner's interview. Just like ABC cut the last say 15 mins from the ALMS race for some unexplainable reason , what's going on with the coverage???

Any who, Danica; yes actually drove a nice race on a street course for once. She had a horrible outing at the end of 2008 at Surfer's and followed that up with a sub par run at the tail end of the field at St Pete. Guess they found the balance she needed in her car. She is not the fastest pedaler by a fair margin but the key to winning and keeping her detractors quiet is to have solid finishes and this was one of them.

Dario put on a clinic today and controlled the pace, that made it a bit boring but its nice to see a competitive field at Long Beach since the split. Macro had a good run as well, should have finished higher I think, but did well. Seat time over in A1GP is helping I think. Too bad he'll miss the Mexico round since it clashes with next race.

Well I'll be taking a break from the IRL as the money will rise to the top and teams like Daly Coyne have no chance for even a top 5 finish. I like ovals to a point, but I can do without the cookie cutter Kansas, Chicago, Texas D shaped ovals.

I'll pick it up at Indy and what USED to be the Rex Mays race at the Milwaukee Mile the week after the 500.

Another solid event for the reunited IRL...

harvick#1
21st April 2009, 08:16
Wrong!

I think Dixon should have left EJ there and turned left into the corner. Then EJ would have had no choice but drive into the wall as he would have no room to turn left also. Scott needed rom to negotiate the corner and EJ didnt leave any, just plain bad driving on EJ's part

I feel sorry for EJ. It's his impatience like this that has kept him at the back of the pack. He should not have finished 17th last year with his experience.

If he had not gone flying up the outside he would have finished in about 5 or 6. But instead he wanted to pass Scott in a 50/50 move.

He has won Championships before and should know this stuff.

take off the rose colored glasses, Scott went to make a move on Will, didn't work, and came back across and smacked EJ. EJ made no move to even intend on passing Scott, just to give room, and Scott wrecked EJ's race. EJ was in the racing line and was not swerving at all unlike Scott, you just don't want to admit it

underpowered
21st April 2009, 09:13
take off the rose colored glasses, Scott went to make a move on Will, didn't work, and came back across and smacked EJ. EJ made no move to even intend on passing Scott, just to give room, and Scott wrecked EJ's race. EJ was in the racing line and was not swerving at all unlike Scott, you just don't want to admit it

I could say the same to you. Imagine if EJ had just been a little more aware of what was going on ahead, he would've finished high up in the race.

EJ is under alot of pressure and thats possibly what caused his impatience. But finishing last is not going to help. If he keeps it up he will be out of a job.

I am amazed that you cant see how EJ was pulling a high risk move. I just watched it again in slow mo and it is easy to see an accident coming.

Scott is happy to admit whe he causes an accident, he did it last week. Briscoe, on the other hand had a weird explanation for crashing on the yellow

underpowered
21st April 2009, 09:30
If only EJ could have this kind of class when he is interviewed

"Ryan and I are good mates, and obviously he's not going to do anything like that on purpose," Dixon said.

And Briscoe put him from 6th to 15th

Chris R
21st April 2009, 12:06
Many of us go on about how there is no passing on street an ora courses - ere are two drivers trying to make something happen and all we can do is argue about who is at fault - good for both of them for RACING.....Briscoe getting into Dixon was stupid as was the corkscrew debacle - Viso and Dixon was a racing accident.....

elis
21st April 2009, 13:01

Back of the pack??

And that's the problem with only looking at the finishing positions without the facts.

The majority of races that he failed to score up in were as a result of mechanicals not 'impatience'. 4 dnfs, 3 on ovals only 1 from pushing too hard at Detroit. He didn't race Nashville due to illness, so no points there. 7 top 10 finishes, a highest of 4th, he ran 2nd at the Richmond oval before a yellow screwed him after he'd pitted.

Sure there were a couple of moments were he made errors in his rookie year.. show me a guy that hasn't, even long established guys, like Dixon, still do ;)

I just get the feeling from your all comments you are not a fan.. that's you're perogotive, but you have to be fair here with your assessment, 2008 was his first time out in ICS, & on ovals, his dnfs came primarily due to car probs. His 'lowly' season ending finishing place was not indicative to how his first year actually went.

2009, ST Pete steering problems forced a retirement whilst running well.

harvick#1
21st April 2009, 16:41
Many of us go on about how there is no passing on street an ora courses - ere are two drivers trying to make something happen and all we can do is argue about who is at fault - good for both of them for RACING.....Briscoe getting into Dixon was stupid as was the corkscrew debacle - Viso and Dixon was a racing accident.....

the fact is, EJ was making no attempt to pass, he was following the racing line, while Will shut the door on Scott, scott needed to come up to make the turn, how anyone sees EJ is at fault is insane,

dont get me wrong underpowered, I was rooting for Scott to win the championship cause I'm not that big of fan of Helio, but it was a bonehead move by not looking in his mirrors, all the drivers have done it

underpowered
21st April 2009, 19:58
Back of the pack??

And that's the problem with only looking at the finishing positions without the facts.

The majority of races that he failed to score up in were as a result of mechanicals not 'impatience'. 4 dnfs, 3 on ovals only 1 from pushing too hard at Detroit. He didn't race Nashville due to illness, so no points there. 7 top 10 finishes, a highest of 4th, he ran 2nd at the Richmond oval before a yellow screwed him after he'd pitted.

Sure there were a couple of moments were he made errors in his rookie year.. show me a guy that hasn't, even long established guys, like Dixon, still do ;)

I just get the feeling from your all comments you are not a fan.. that's you're perogotive, but you have to be fair here with your assessment, 2008 was his first time out in ICS, & on ovals, his dnfs came primarily due to car probs. His 'lowly' season ending finishing place was not indicative to how his first year actually went.

2009, ST Pete steering problems forced a retirement whilst running well.

OK. I will admit that I am wrong on my assesment of his 2008 season and he drove very well and had some bad luck. Dont get me wrong, I dont have anything against EJ and I am impressed with his racing background.

My issue is that he didnt have enough awareness of what was going on ahead of him and created a situation where he gets knocked out. He then get out of the car and blames Scott, when clearly Scott had been held up by Power and had moved over to ensure he could make it around the corner without running out of track. If EJ was honest with himself he would admit he had a choice to slow up behind Scott and Will or go two wide into the corner. He chose to go two wide and ran out of track. A 50/50 move that put him out of the race. In his interview he blames the other driver and accuses him of blocking while he himself was perfect (reminded me of PT).

Scott on the other hand gets rammed from behind under yellow and has the good grace to say "Ryan and I are good mates, and obviously he's not going to do anything like that on purpose,"

IF EJ wants me as a fan, he needs to be class off the track as well as on.

I am not a fan of the PT style of trash talk.

underpowered
21st April 2009, 20:10
the fact is, EJ was making no attempt to pass, he was following the racing line, while Will shut the door on Scott, scott needed to come up to make the turn, how anyone sees EJ is at fault is insane,

dont get me wrong underpowered, I was rooting for Scott to win the championship cause I'm not that big of fan of Helio, but it was a bonehead move by not looking in his mirrors, all the drivers have done it

If he was making no attempt to pass, why didnt he just stay behind the car in front instead of causing an accident?

I didnt say EJ was at fault, I said it was a 50/50 pass that didnt come off. EJ would have impressed me if he had be more classy in his interview and said "I saw an opportunity to grab a spot off Scott, it didnt work out, I guess he didnt expect me to be there"

Instead he accused Scott of deliberatly moving over on him. Scott is a good clean driver that has always given other drivers the benefit of the doubt.

I then get on the forums to hear people regurgitating EJ's comment here and blaming Scott. One comment even went on to say Scott caused accidents on 6 cars.

TURN3
21st April 2009, 20:55
If he was making no attempt to pass, why didnt he just stay behind the car in front instead of causing an accident?

I didnt say EJ was at fault, I said it was a 50/50 pass that didnt come off. EJ would have impressed me if he had be more classy in his interview and said "I saw an opportunity to grab a spot off Scott, it didnt work out, I guess he didnt expect me to be there"

Instead he accused Scott of deliberatly moving over on him. Scott is a good clean driver that has always given other drivers the benefit of the doubt.

I then get on the forums to hear people regurgitating EJ's comment here and blaming Scott. One comment even went on to say Scott caused accidents on 6 cars.

You're making a complete joke of yourself. Just let it go. You are the ONLY person on this and many other forums that has this skewed version of the events between Scott and EJ. There is 1 point and 1 point only to be considered here. You are allowed 1 line through a corner, Scott changed his line. Regardless of where EJ was, were he was going, good choice, bad choice, none of it matters. The only driver in that corner that broke the rules established in every single drivers meeting was Scott. World class as he is, he is allowed to make mistakes and in the case he did according to every single other person that has commented on it but you.

EJ said nothing wrong in his interview either. He stated the facts, he said they were told in the drivers meeting not to change their line and that he was disappointed that a great champion like Scott did in fact do that. That is hardly trash talking and it is hardly out of line. I'm sure if Scott wouldn't have been the victim of Briscoe's bonehead move it would've been a bigger deal and even Scott himself would most likely admit he didn't see EJ and shouldn't have changed his line. Bottom line, it is racing and regardless of who is to blame they were both RACING. No way can EJ be to blame in this case. Dixon clearly moved from one side of the track to the other while EJ was on the normal racing line. Period...so move on. You're making yourself look like that guy that like you know who.

And to be clear, PT talks trash and has backed it up for 16 years. He rarely casts blame on people unless clear and rarely doesn't accept responsibility of for his bonehead moves...and there are many. Those moves are boneheaded when they don't work and have made him famous when they do. Hardly any comparison here to EJ and Scott's incident. Although, I will say EJ does remind a bit of PT without the greatest of equipment to boot.

jackmart
21st April 2009, 21:09

I was at the race so I didn't have the greatest coverage. WHen did Dixon cause accidents at LB? I still don't know how Briscoe hit him in the end on a yellow. Wow, did he hit the gas in stead of the brake or what? Was there post-race interviews?

I also felt bad for Graham. He was running really well and then his pit stop killed him. I'm not sure if he left the pits too early or they gave him the thumbs up and they actually weren't done.

I was surprised about the lack of passing too. I know it is a streets course but was there really like no room for passing?

Anyone else think Stanton was too far off pace and shouldn't have been out there?

I do like Danica but how did she pull that off? I guess she pitted in the beginning when she was at the back so then she was on a diff pit strategy that helped her in the end?

underpowered
21st April 2009, 22:05
You're making a complete joke of yourself. Just let it go. You are the ONLY person on this and many other forums that has this skewed version of the events between Scott and EJ. There is 1 point and 1 point only to be considered here. You are allowed 1 line through a corner, Scott changed his line. Regardless of where EJ was, were he was going, good choice, bad choice, none of it matters. The only driver in that corner that broke the rules established in every single drivers meeting was Scott. World class as he is, he is allowed to make mistakes and in the case he did according to every single other person that has commented on it but you.

EJ said nothing wrong in his interview either. He stated the facts, he said they were told in the drivers meeting not to change their line and that he was disappointed that a great champion like Scott did in fact do that. That is hardly trash talking and it is hardly out of line. I'm sure if Scott wouldn't have been the victim of Briscoe's bonehead move it would've been a bigger deal and even Scott himself would most likely admit he didn't see EJ and shouldn't have changed his line. Bottom line, it is racing and regardless of who is to blame they were both RACING. No way can EJ be to blame in this case. Dixon clearly moved from one side of the track to the other while EJ was on the normal racing line. Period...so move on. You're making yourself look like that guy that like you know who.

And to be clear, PT talks trash and has backed it up for 16 years. He rarely casts blame on people unless clear and rarely doesn't accept responsibility of for his bonehead moves...and there are many. Those moves are boneheaded when they don't work and have made him famous when they do. Hardly any comparison here to EJ and Scott's incident. Although, I will say EJ does remind a bit of PT without the greatest of equipment to boot.

Wow! did I touch a nerve somewhere.

There is an easy way to move on here...Just admit that EJ tried a pass that didn't work out and incorrectly put the entire blame on the other driver instead of accepting some responsiblity...easy. Its what champions do.

Just because your an EJ fan doesnt mean he is a perfect saint.

And Comparing me to DanicaFan is unfair man :-)

jackmart
21st April 2009, 22:21
I think from the video it is obvious that Dixon ran into EJ. EJ had no where to go, Dixon just plowed him into the wall.

Any footage of Dixon running into graham? It didn't damage either of them but led to that 4 or 5 car pile up right?

TURN3
21st April 2009, 22:26
Wow! did I touch a nerve somewhere.

There is an easy way to move on here...Just admit that EJ tried a pass that didn't work out and incorrectly put the entire blame on the other driver instead of accepting some responsiblity...easy. Its what champions do.

Just because your an EJ fan doesnt mean he is a perfect saint.

And Comparing me to DanicaFan is unfair man :-)

No nerves were touched and I'm not an EJ fan. I just see you going back and forth and back and forth about an issue that is purely obvious to everybody but you. Obviously you're a fan of Dixon and that's great, he's an awesome driver. But you are looking over the only fact that matters here. HE VIOLATED RULES BY CHANGING LINES GOING INTO THE TURN. Anything else is irrelevant because he did that. I don't care if EJ is going into the runoff in reverse, Scott changed his line and squeezed EJ into the wall. Why is that such a hard concept for you to understand? How many on this forum alone have stated their view and you still can't just say...yeah he changed his line and therefore has to take responsibility? That is the D$%@ RULE! Period Period Period Period Period Period. <-----(Period)

Now get over your illusion and get into your buddy's (ok, I'm being funny about this part) Kansas thread. Both will do better there on the aero no skill necessary track.

Anubis
22nd April 2009, 00:51
I'm really struggling to see how Viso was attempting anything other than taking the normal line through the corner? He doesn't jink about on the approach as though he's shaping up for a move, he just sits on the same line everyone bar Dixon is taking. Quite how that can be perceived as diving up the outside is beyond me in all honesty. There's no lunge or sudden change of line, so I think he is justified in blaming Dixon. Even if he'd anticipated Dixon moving back over, where could he have gone? There was no room on his right, as he was over against the wall on the normal line, and moving left would have taken his nose off against the rear of Dixon and probably punted Dixon off in the process. That would leave backing off, at which point he bunches the field and gets hit from behind, doubtless to be accused of causing an accident....