PDA

View Full Version : Weather men/women talk trot

Sonic
7th April 2009, 13:26
One just used the term conveyer belt? WTF?

And yes I know a Brit moaning about the wether :rolleyes: but why can't they just tell me if I need my brolly or not!!!!

Ok calm now :)

Mark
7th April 2009, 13:38
Simple equation. Is it raining?
Yes. Take a brolly.
No. It's about to rain so take a brolly.

gloomyDAY
7th April 2009, 15:40
WTF is a brolly?

Captain VXR
7th April 2009, 17:10
WTF is a brolly?

umbrella

slinkster
7th April 2009, 18:02
This is where being a girl is great because with a handbag you can ALWAYS have a brolly on your person. I never leave home without one. :)

Dave B
7th April 2009, 18:30
umbrella
..ella, ella, ella...

schmenke
7th April 2009, 21:16
WTF is a conveyer belt?

Eki
7th April 2009, 21:24
WTF is a conveyer belt?
Escalator?

Rollo
8th April 2009, 00:37
British weather is subject to two conveyor belts. One of which is as a result of the Gulf Stream which moves from the Caribbean northeast at about 4 knots, bringing with it warm and and currents from the tropics.
The other is to do with Arctic conditions that whip around the top of the world, and occasionally are big enough to head south a bit.

A conveyor belt when it comes to weather, roughly speaking is a series of similar weather conditions coming in succession.

Ironically one of the consequences of Global Warming is that if the temperature at the poles is closer to that at the equator than it was, then the potential difference between them is less and consequently the Gulf Stream is likely to slow down, thereby not bringing warm currents to Europe and actually making Europe colder.

The term isn't new at all:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/daily_review/news/10012004review.shtml
Looking out across the Atlantic on the satellite picture this afternoon it was very clear to see a long ribbon of cloud stretching back from the British Isles almost to Newfoundland. Along its length there were a number of lumps and bumps and these hold the promise to be trouble makers for the UK's weather in the coming days.

In meterological terms this 'ribbon' is sometimes refered to as a conveyor belt. The bumps developing on the ribbon are actually low pressure centres forming and deepening as they track along its length and in the next few days it looks like a number of them will be steered towards the UK so expect some stormy weather.

And an explanation is give here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermohaline_circulation

Magnus
8th April 2009, 08:58
Do not give out bank account details on the internet:
BSB: 094-004 A/C: 40034-3 - oh damn
BSB: is that the old BullBank?
A/C=short for air craft...?
IŽd put my money there any time :D

Rollo
8th April 2009, 13:52
Nah, it's the bank account for the Australian Taxation Office. I'm hoping that some Nigerian email scam type thing tries to steal money from them :D

Caroline
8th April 2009, 14:03
I like watching the TV weather reports - conveyor belts and all! Anyway it was on the BBC weather reports that I learned the word 'mizzle'. A word coined to save you saying mist and drizzle. The British do love their weather words.

Mark
8th April 2009, 14:13
"Dreesh" is my favourite one.

"It's all just looking a bit dreesh really"

It's self explanatory :D

Mark in Oshawa
8th April 2009, 21:46
I dunno. It's Britain. It's not summer...take a brolly....rumour has it that it RAINS there....lol