PDA

View Full Version : I'd rather see barrichello win the championship over button...

Charlie
6th April 2009, 16:21
I think. Opinions...

cynisca
6th April 2009, 16:25
I don't care who will win the championship. As long as we have an exciting championship like in the last two season, I'm happy. :p

If you would ask my mother she would say "Barochello". :p She always speaks the name wrong. :D

F1boat
6th April 2009, 17:32
By far I prefer Jenson to Rubens. I know that Rubens was a 2nd driver in the Scuderia, but for many years he took good money, scored victories and points and then, after he left, he started to bash the red team. Not classy at all, to me. While Jenson - while he is not my favorite driver, I always liked him, at least since 2002. From the Brawn GP drivers I prefer Button! Go Button!

BTCC2
6th April 2009, 18:12
Barrichello would be an unworthy champion IMO.

Mark
6th April 2009, 18:45
I would love it to be Button but anyone who is not driving for one of the big teams would be great.

ioan
6th April 2009, 19:00
By far I prefer Jenson to Rubens. I know that Rubens was a 2nd driver in the Scuderia, but for many years he took good money, scored victories and points and then, after he left, he started to bash the red team. Not classy at all, to me. While Jenson - while he is not my favorite driver, I always liked him, at least since 2002. From the Brawn GP drivers I prefer Button! Go Button!

Jenson jumped ship for large amounts of money so it's difficult to say he's got more ethics than Rubens.

ioan
6th April 2009, 19:02

That's what happens when you're not born in the right kingdom. :rotflmao:

emporer_k
6th April 2009, 19:04
I have a soft spot for Barichello and would love to see him become champion.

And if he did do you think he would cry on the podium like after his first win at hockenheim 2000.

jens
6th April 2009, 19:51
Well, a close call. In a way either win would create a great comeback story, since they have been basically written off after the last two seasons and seemed to be out of drive for some time before '09 too. But I think I'd slightly prefer Barrichello as his story would just sound greater - after all the years as a #2 and then an incredible comeback at the end of his career in his 17th (!) season in F1 just when most thought he is out of F1 and Bruno would take his drive. Hard to believe a driver, who once upon a time was racing together with the likes of Prost and Senna, is still in F1 and fighting for podiums.

airshifter
7th April 2009, 00:47
That's what happens when you're not born in the right kingdom. :rotflmao:

That was the only reason I could see stated as to why Barichello isn't worthy of a title.

Rubens is a class act in my opinion. He also has something we aren't sure if Jenson has. In known equal cars, he is one of the few people to best Schumacher on track. And that is no easy task.

N. Jones
7th April 2009, 02:16
I think. Opinions...

And your reasoning would be........what, exactly?

Valve Bounce
7th April 2009, 03:29
I think. Opinions...

Another frustrated ant fan; welcome to the club, my man!! We are few and far between. :(

leopard
7th April 2009, 03:30
I think Jenson, he's beyond my expectation on Fernando, or even Mark...

aryan
7th April 2009, 05:07
Hard to believe a driver, who once upon a time was racing together with the likes of Prost and Senna, is still in F1 and fighting for podiums.

Indeed.

However, I'll be a happy man if the championship goes to any privateer. Brawn and Williams are my favourites. If Button become world champion, that would be the biggest comeback story since Mikka Hakkinen. In Rubinho's case, it would be the biggest comeback of all times.

pino
7th April 2009, 06:50
None deserves a title more than Jarno :D

F1boat
7th April 2009, 07:16
None deserves a title more than Jarno :D

I'd prefer Jarno to Rubens as well, but still prefer Jenson :)

AJP
7th April 2009, 07:21
I'm just grateful that Brawn GP are doing so well so quickly..

I think Rubens will get a few wins this year if the car stays competitive..

leopard
7th April 2009, 07:28
I'd prefer Jarno to Rubens as well, but still prefer Jenson :)

Points awarded after the appeal very much helped him, Glock is better by its nature, I think. :)

wmcot
7th April 2009, 07:50

And would you mind sharing your logic behind that statement?

Sonic
7th April 2009, 09:40
I've always had a soft spot for Ruben's but this season I can't see him mounting a season long challenge to his team mate but I think the next GP could offer him his best chance at a win this season. He's always been quick at Shanghai - Pole and a win in '04 (and blowing Shumi into the weeds) 6th in '06 and managed to make Q2 last year in that bucket of bolts Honda.

Fingers crossed for him

Dave B
7th April 2009, 09:54
Of the two Flying King Prawns obviously I'd much rather see Button become champion, but I too have a soft spot for Rubens. He's conducted himself with style and dignity throughout his long F1 career, and is clearly still a very capable driver.

It speaks volumes that Brawn valued his experience over the raw speed and marketing kudos of Bruno Senna, and from the evidence of the first two races it certainly seems the right choice.

stevie_gerrard
7th April 2009, 10:06
Well for his long outstanding career, Rubens would be a worthy champion. But i just get the feeling that if Button starts to get away from Rubens, they will favour him to win the title like most teams would. Barichello needs to hang on to Button, and give himself the opportunity to be in the title race.

Valve Bounce
7th April 2009, 10:07
And would you mind sharing your logic behind that statement?

Well, Rubens is not a Pom!! you have to understand the mindset of a certain squad of squadies.

555-04Q2
7th April 2009, 11:17
Jenson jumped ship for large amounts of money so it's difficult to say he's got more ethics than Rubens.

:up:

Sleeper
7th April 2009, 11:32
Well, I've been a fan of Button since he was in F3, but its always good to see Rubens going well.

ShiftingGears
7th April 2009, 11:34
Where does the word Pom come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_words_for_British#Pommy

Mark
7th April 2009, 12:15
Well, Rubens is not a Pom!! you have to understand the mindset of a certain squad of squadies.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a driver from your own country to do well over and above others.

Knock-on
7th April 2009, 12:33

Most drivers will move to whatever team they think will give them a competitive car.

Schumacher for example was sponsored by Mercedes and it was they that made sure he had a seat in F1.

Did MS repay that loyalty by honouring the option Mercedes had or did he jump?

Mmmmmm, that puts a different perspective on it doesn't it but I suppose that's irrelevant because it doesn't suit your POV ;)

:laugh:

F1boat
7th April 2009, 12:34
Most drivers will move to whatever team they think will give them a competitive car.

Schumacher for example was sponsored by Mercedes and it was they that made sure he had a seat in F1.

Mmmmmm, that puts a different perspective on it doesn't it but I suppose that's irrelevant because it doesn't suit your POV ;)

Also it is one thing to be an opportunist like Jenson and quite another to bash the team, in which you won all your races.

Garry Walker
7th April 2009, 12:53
Barrichello over button every time.

SGWilko
7th April 2009, 12:57

Hold it, has he bashed Ferrari, or just finally been able, contractually, to tell his side of the story?

SGWilko
7th April 2009, 13:00
Where does the word Pom come from? I've been called a Pom by an Australian work colleague in the past but have never understood it. I know its usually followed by a snigger so I assume its funny :)

Us Brits - we're all whinging pomms!!! ;)

GridGirl
7th April 2009, 13:23
I prefer Barrichello as a driver but I wont say I'm against a Brit winning the World Championship if they get a chance.

I'm no Jenson Button fan but I was really suprised a couple of years ago by the unusually large number of the fans at the British GP that suddenly started buying Honda merchandise when they started to do well. I'd never hardly seen anyone buy much Honda stuff let alone BAR merchandise. Everyone seemed to have suddenly become a Jenson Button and Honda fan. Everytime Button came on the track there was a massive roar for him from practically everyone but me. Then along came Lewis Hamilton and then in 2007 and 2008 it was more of a case of the Honda fans queueing up at the McLaren merchadising stands buying the Hamilton gear and then removing the Honda stuff so that there was no longer any trace of it. Jenson was yesterdays news.

It was then that I did actually feel quite sorry for Jenson and was quite annoyed at the fickleness of the British fans. It seemed really strange to think that I once thought the Tifosi were fickle because in general I now think us Brits are in a completely different league. We seem now to have jumped back on the bandwaggon and like poor Jenson again! :rolleyes:

PolePosition_1
7th April 2009, 13:27

Though to be fair to Button. He was offered a drive at TR for this year, and he turned it down without knowing whether Brawn GP would exist, thats a good level of committment and loyality to the team.

Tazio
7th April 2009, 13:34
I'd like to see either driver get credit for being a racer given the right car become champion.
Of the two Rubens would just be too much of a Hollywood ending to a carreer.
Hell I'd pay to see the movie!
Although, like the races, I'm more likely to view a pirated version! :p :

Robinho
7th April 2009, 13:52
correct me if i'm wrong, but my recollection is slightly different

Dumped by Williams for Montoya,

Dumped by Bennetton/Renault as they reach the cusp of a winning car for Alonso,

moves to BAR with some success, signs pre agreement with Williams, but decides he doesn't want to due to his current teams increasing form and Williams downhill. IIRC he bought his way out of the contract with Williams with his money from the BAR/Honda deal. 1-1 betqween Williams and Button IMO, and also IIRC Williams stated after that they would still liuke Button to drive for them in the future if the opportunity arose.

Finally, as part of the efforts to get his current team on the grid (which he's been very loyal the last few years, considering the sh**e he's been given to drive, he takes a £5m pay cut to get them on the grid.

whilst i'm sure he's still hardly on minimum wage, i think he's shown pretty good loyalty/ethics, with one maybe questionable, albeit very understandable move, which considering Williams dumped him so willingly before is hardly crime of the century.

back to the original question, i'd rather Jenson won than Rubens, but i would be very happy to see Rubens take the title if he's able to race his way to it.

ioan
7th April 2009, 14:47
correct me if i'm wrong, but my recollection is slightly different

Dumped by Williams for Montoya,

Dumped by Bennetton/Renault as they reach the cusp of a winning car for Alonso,

moves to BAR with some success, signs pre agreement with Williams, but decides he doesn't want to due to his current teams increasing form and Williams downhill. IIRC he bought his way out of the contract with Williams with his money from the BAR/Honda deal. 1-1 betqween Williams and Button IMO, and also IIRC Williams stated after that they would still liuke Button to drive for them in the future if the opportunity arose.

Finally, as part of the efforts to get his current team on the grid (which he's been very loyal the last few years, considering the sh**e he's been given to drive, he takes a £5m pay cut to get them on the grid.

whilst i'm sure he's still hardly on minimum wage, i think he's shown pretty good loyalty/ethics, with one maybe questionable, albeit very understandable move, which considering Williams dumped him so willingly before is hardly crime of the century.

back to the original question, i'd rather Jenson won than Rubens, but i would be very happy to see Rubens take the title if he's able to race his way to it.

Each with his memories, and bias, I would say. The fact that the matter was brought up to the be ruled on by the Contract Recognition Board (or whatever is that called) tellsme that it wasn't the walk in the park you are trying to picture.

ArrowsFA1
7th April 2009, 14:56
The very idea that we're talking about either winning the championship is incredible in itself :crazy:

7th April 2009, 14:57

Or maybe it proves that you don't know your arse from your elbow and don't have the facts? Yep, sure looks that way.

Schumi was contracted to Willi Weber, somebody he was loyal to all through his career....from F3 to 2006 and beyond. He had no long term deal with Mercedes, just an option from the Mercedes side of the deal.

It was Weber who got Schumacher the Mercedes deal, it was Weber who got Mercedes to pay for Schumachers debut.....it wasn't Mercedes who gave Schumacher a drive when he had nothing and Schumachers first loyalty would be to the man he owed for everything, not to a car company that wasn't interested when Weber was.

But, don't let a fact get in the way.

555-04Q2
7th April 2009, 15:38
The very idea that we're talking about either winning the championship is incredible in itself :crazy:

100% :up: Six weeks ago they werent even on the start line, let alone winning races. I have always had the utmost respect for Brawn, but his efforts ( and those of others in the Brawn GP Team ) this year leave me speechless :s hock:

Charlie
7th April 2009, 16:03
I started this thread and I wasn't sure why I'd rather Rubinho won it as I'd never really been a big fan of his. But I was a big Button fan and altough I still am the whole Button gate saga said a lot about him.

I'm not really bothered about his loyality to a 'team' as really the team is just a commercial thing but to the staff at Brackley who'd been through a load of rubbish under Pollock and Reynard since 1999. They worked hard on a brilliant car in 2004, gave him numerous podiums and then suddenly he decides its not enough and would rather go back to Williams. Even when he was told he had to stay he signed another contract with Williams. I think he was his own downfall becausce he got D.Richards sacked.

Yes he payed out of his pocket to stay with the team but not through guilt or loyalty to the staff but because he learnt BMW were dropping Williams and B.A.R offered more secruity and big new contract.

I'm pretty sure he's got short term memory loss too, I bet he doesn't even remember B.A.R.

The reason he stayed at Brawn was becausce he knew this car was good, the whole team knew this car was good, not out of loyalty to the team.

Barichello is cleary seen as number.2 and most people of written him off, I hope he wins the championship becausce as somebody saif it would be a great story. If not I hope he at least gets a decent tally of wins and a fair crack of the whip for the championship.

Sonic
7th April 2009, 16:41
Each with his memories, and bias, I would say. The fact that the matter was brought up to the be ruled on by the Contract Recognition Board (or whatever is that called) tellsme that it wasn't the walk in the park you are trying to picture.

On this we agree.

Robinho
7th April 2009, 19:21

your probably right, as i said, correct me if i'm wrong, and i'm by no means suggesting that it was a clean cut and amicable move. i do like Jenson, and as such will probably defend what i think is defendable, and i don't blame him for trying to get the best deal he could - be that car or money, and ultimately, although a long way down the line, you could argue it has worked out in his favour.

but if the worst we can say about his character is that he once made a decision and went back on it, did the best he could to be where he wanted and stuck by his ultimate decision, then he's not all that bad. i'd also point out that Frank Williams hasn't always been one for great long term relationships with drivers - in fact he's pretty ruthless.

there are plenty of drivers who have taken decisions to further their (rewlatively) short career, not normally taken on their own, but advised by their management (as pointed out in regard to Michael and Willi Weber). you could argue that it was pretty ruthless of Michael to get out of the Jordan after his first taste of F1 to go to Bennetton, but it was probably the best move for his career at the time. albeit he didn't have a contract signed, having been given the initial opportunity by Jordan some might argue it would have been good to have given them first refusal for his services - he didn't and i don't blame him.

i know there are a lot of people who don't rate Button, i for one do, i think he's very quick, undeniabley very smooth and i reckon he's a good racer, not as weak as some would have you belive, his hustle past Alonso this weekend for one a good example. on track i don't think he is as ruthless as some, and that may cost him, but given the right car he is showing that he can cut it at the front and i'm glad he's got that chance - most people love to see their favourite drivers having a chance to show what they have got, a lot never get that chance.

andre
7th April 2009, 21:00
the most important thing to any driver is winning the wdc.alonso,massa,hamilton etc would all tear up their contracts and jump in a brawn tomorrow if they could !
people talk to much about loyalty
loyalty is a bullsxxt word
as an f1 driver you need tobe in the best car to win
no one will remember you for your loyalty!!

N. Jones
7th April 2009, 21:30
I started this thread and I wasn't sure why I'd rather Rubinho won it as I'd never really been a big fan of his. But I was a big Button fan and altough I still am the whole Button gate saga said a lot about him.

I'm not really bothered about his loyality to a 'team' as really the team is just a commercial thing but to the staff at Brackley who'd been through a load of rubbish under Pollock and Reynard since 1999. They worked hard on a brilliant car in 2004, gave him numerous podiums and then suddenly he decides its not enough and would rather go back to Williams. Even when he was told he had to stay he signed another contract with Williams. I think he was his own downfall becausce he got D.Richards sacked.

Yes he payed out of his pocket to stay with the team but not through guilt or loyalty to the staff but because he learnt BMW were dropping Williams and B.A.R offered more secruity and big new contract.

I'm pretty sure he's got short term memory loss too, I bet he doesn't even remember B.A.R.

The reason he stayed at Brawn was becausce he knew this car was good, the whole team knew this car was good, not out of loyalty to the team.

Barichello is cleary seen as number.2 and most people of written him off, I hope he wins the championship becausce as somebody saif it would be a great story. If not I hope he at least gets a decent tally of wins and a fair crack of the whip for the championship.

Fair enough.

I would be happy if either won the championship as I think a lot of people felt (or feel) that Rubens is at the end of his career and Jenson was seeing his promising career fall apart with each unsuccessful year.

woody2goody
7th April 2009, 21:56
The only problem for them (Rubinho and Jenson) is that there is a feeling this may be the only chance Brawn get at the championship.

So I'd prefer Jenson to win it, but I'd really like Rubens to win one. However, I get the feeling that whoever wins it in 09, the other one may never win a WDC, especially for Barrichello as he's obviously 7 years older than Jenson.

wmcot
8th April 2009, 07:14
Personally, I'd rather the driver with the most points at the end of the season win the WDC. Is that weird or what?

Knock-on
8th April 2009, 13:04
Or maybe it proves that you don't know your arse from your elbow and don't have the facts? Yep, sure looks that way.

Schumi was contracted to Willi Weber, somebody he was loyal to all through his career....from F3 to 2006 and beyond. He had no long term deal with Mercedes, just an option from the Mercedes side of the deal.

It was Weber who got Schumacher the Mercedes deal, it was Weber who got Mercedes to pay for Schumachers debut.....it wasn't Mercedes who gave Schumacher a drive when he had nothing and Schumachers first loyalty would be to the man he owed for everything, not to a car company that wasn't interested when Weber was.

But, don't let a fact get in the way.

There is no need for the aggression :(

Webber was managing Schumy but at the time, he was contracted to Mercedes.

Schumacher made his Formula One debut with the Jordan-Ford team at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix, driving car number 32 as a replacement for the imprisoned Bertrand Gachot. Schumacher, still a contracted Mercedes driver, was signed by Eddie Jordan after Mercedes paid Jordan $150,000 for his debut.[21] The week before the race, Schumacher impressed Jordan designer Gary Anderson and team manager Trevor Foster during a test drive at Silverstone. His manager Willi Weber assured Jordan that Schumacher knew the challenging Spa track well, although in fact he had only seen it as a spectator. During the race weekend, team-mate Andrea de Cesaris was meant to show Schumacher the circuit but was held up with contract negotiations. Schumacher then learned the track on his own, by cycling around the track on a fold-up bike he had brought with him.[22] He impressed the paddock by qualifying seventh in this race. This matched the team's season-best grid position, and out-qualified 11-year veteran de Cesaris. Motorsport journalist Joe Saward reported that after qualifying "clumps of German journalists were talking about 'the best talent since Stefan Bellof'".[23] Schumacher retired on the first lap of the race with clutch problems.[24]

After his debut, and despite Jordan's signed agreement in principle with Schumacher's Mercedes management for the remainder of the season, Schumacher was signed by Benetton-Ford for the following race. Jordan applied for an injunction in the UK courts to prevent Schumacher driving for Benetton, but lost the case as they had not yet signed a contract.[25] Schumacher finished the 1991 Formula One Season with four points in six races. His best finish was fifth in his second race, the Italian Grand Prix, in which he finished ahead of his team-mate and three-time World Champion Nelson Piquet.

Wiki link with sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher

F1boat
8th April 2009, 15:15
Personally, I'd rather the driver with the most points at the end of the season win the WDC. Is that weird or what?

It is very reasonable in modern F1, alas.

jso1985
9th April 2009, 05:12
Barrichello was the first driver I ever was a fan of(back in 1995), found it hard to keep being a fan of him during the Ferrari days but since his move to Honda he has been again among the drivers I'd like to see winning.

But Timo Glock will win this years WDC :D