PDA

View Full Version : Campaign to replace Carl Edwards's pit crew

cgs
6th April 2009, 01:23
he has lost far to many races this season because of his pit crew! he almost always loses positions in the pits and tonight was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Carl is a brilliant driver so he needs a brilliant pit crew to back him up!

join me!

RaceFanStan
6th April 2009, 01:31
Don't forget that Jack Roush calls the shots.
He doesn't care what a driver or crew says, he demands they do what he wants.
A campign to replace a Roush pitcrew would only make Jack Roush give his sarcastic smile.
The bottom line is that Jack Roush will do what HE wants & to hades with what anyone else thinks. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Fred Basset
6th April 2009, 01:38
he has lost far to many races this season because of his pit crew! he almost always loses positions in the pits and tonight was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Carl is a brilliant driver so he needs a brilliant pit crew to back him up!

join me!

At least Carl knows where his pit stall is :laugh:

RaceFanStan
6th April 2009, 12:49
No pitcrew is immune from making mistakes.
When you have 6 men trying to move in harmony, sometimes 1 could make a miscue.
If 1 crewman makes a mistake it will usually throw the whole pitstop off.
My guess is that the #99 crew will be doing a lot of pitstop practice this week. :D

cgs
6th April 2009, 13:08
but it happens EVERY week! not always to the extreme that it did yesterday though, but i don't recall a single time when Carl has gained positions under yellow flag stops this season.

(waits to be proved wrong)

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2009, 00:05
CGS...if you had Sirius and listened to NASCAR, this topic was debated and explained really easy. This isn't for the most part Carl's crew from last year. Knee Injuries have sidelined about 3 guys at Roush who were regular tire changers, including the 2 Carl had last year. Also, there is a lot of pressure on these guys who have come in and I think THAT is really making collars tight and leading to mistakes. Lets face it, there are a ton of guys fighting for work right now with the contraction of teams this season, and a lot of the over the wall guys are scared for their jobs. You try performing at your best when you know 4 guys are after your job every weekend.

Roush's guys practice pit stops early and often. I suspect it may be part of the reason they are going through injuries, because maybe most of them have practiced too much.

Add in of course that the studs the wheel nuts go onto have changed this season by NASCAR and some guys are having a harder time getting the job done. IT isn't just Roush's boys that are suffering....

tstran17_88
10th April 2009, 02:44
Mark's correct.

Even the best crew in the business had trouble with a lug nut last week at Texas because of the longer wheel stud. It almost cost their driver a top 5 finish.

colinspooky
10th April 2009, 09:37
Perhaps they should just try really, really hard next time.

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2009, 21:08
Colin...ya...because everyone knows only a few of them really care right?? lol

muggle not
10th April 2009, 23:19
Could there be a few shakeups in the pit crews at Roush Fenway Racing? Officials haven't said anything, but co-owner Jack Roush spent a lot of time in meetings this past week trying to figure out why his teams are having so much trouble on pit road. That usually means changes for the man known as "Cat in the Hat."

Carl Edwards went from first to 11th after a crucial mistake on his final pit stop with about 30 laps remaining in Sunday's race at Texas Motor Speedway. Greg Biffle believes pit road mistakes, at least one by him, has cost him a shot at two wins this season. Even Matt Kenseth had problems at Texas. He was second coming onto pit road on lap 252, but left in 15th after a lug nut problem on the right rear tire.

Nobody is publicly blaming anybody as Kyle Busch did in a Nationwide Series race last month when a pit road mistake cost him a victory. But there are concerns.(ESPN Insider)(4-10-2009)

colinspooky
10th April 2009, 23:40
Colin...ya...because everyone knows only a few of them really care right?? lol

Yep. Turn up, clock in, change some tyres, distribute some fuel, sit around, change some tyres, distribute some fuel, sit around, clock out, go home. Just a job.

Now if you add some incentives - like some free WalMart vouchers for every tenth they knock off the stop time, well, there you go.

Ho ho - only kidding. :D

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2009, 01:22
Could there be a few shakeups in the pit crews at Roush Fenway Racing? Officials haven't said anything, but co-owner Jack Roush spent a lot of time in meetings this past week trying to figure out why his teams are having so much trouble on pit road. That usually means changes for the man known as "Cat in the Hat."

Carl Edwards went from first to 11th after a crucial mistake on his final pit stop with about 30 laps remaining in Sunday's race at Texas Motor Speedway. Greg Biffle believes pit road mistakes, at least one by him, has cost him a shot at two wins this season. Even Matt Kenseth had problems at Texas. He was second coming onto pit road on lap 252, but left in 15th after a lug nut problem on the right rear tire.

Nobody is publicly blaming anybody as Kyle Busch did in a Nationwide Series race last month when a pit road mistake cost him a victory. But there are concerns.(ESPN Insider)(4-10-2009)

I heard Robbie Reiser on NASCAR Radio on the Sirius last week. Basically Jack will hear from him that the whole thing is circumstance and luck. The new studs are giving experienced guys a lot of grief, and half the tire guys on the Roush teams are NOT the first pick guys but the top guys are nursing injury. If Jack thinks he can hire guys off the street to do better, it is his prerogative but I suspect this is grin and bear it time for the boys at Roush, followed with a lot of pit stop practice.

oldhippie
14th April 2009, 17:43
the crew members i have met are passionate about doing well
they try very hard to beat the other teams crews
it is more than a job to them cause they want to be the best crew every race