PDA

View Full Version : New pecking order and drivers

jens
5th April 2009, 19:24
Life has shown that the views of F1 fans on drivers have usually been more or less been dependant on their machinery. Driver ratings tend to vary from season to season depending on the competitiveness of the machinery at their disposal. For example:
Button was rated relatively highly in 04-06, not so much in 07-08;
Trulli was rated highly in 04-05, not so much in 06-07;
Heidfeld's rating rose significantly in '07 after getting far better car than before;
Massa started to be taken seriously during his Ferrari stint;
etc

The phrase "WDC-material" has often been used by folks to describe some drivers, who are "that"... and the majority, who aren't. Drivers, who have never got a chance to drive for a top team, have often been included in the latter group.

I'm just wondering, which effect will the 2009 season have on ratings, considering major shake-up of the pecking order, which enables totally different racers to shine. Several drivers, who fair amount of people never expected to be any kind of a title threat, may suddenly have a realistic chance for it. Drivers like Button, Trulli, Glock, Rosberg, Vettel and Webber are in a better car than ever before and fighting it out at the sharp end of the grid. Meanwhile drivers like Hamilton, Alonso, Räikkönen and Massa - who have usually been rated as the best ones in recent years and who have mostly been at the top recently - are in midfield.

I would like to know whether 2009 F1 season has influenced or will influence your views on current F1 drivers. What are your reactions about the new pecking order? Will 2009 make people more cautious on making "car-based ratings"? If Button keeps dominating, will he be taken as a top driver or will he be called a lucky average driver? Recalling history and drivers at the top... There were doubts about the skills of Hill and Villeneuve too, but when they were fighting for titles, they were usually still rated as a Top3 driver, not "in the second half of F1 talent field".

RJL25
5th April 2009, 22:00
I'll wait untill the diffuser issue is sorted out... one way or another the diffuser advantage will be overcome either by them being deemed illegal or by all the other teams copying, so i'll wait till after then to draw up a pecking order.

The inter team pecking order however is fairly clear accross the board, except at Ferrari and Red Bull, all the other teams i think there is a clear lead driver or atleast a clear driver that is doing a better job then the other in the case of Mclaren who promise there is no lead driver!!! come on...

ioan
5th April 2009, 22:30
Are we getting one of this threads about the new pecking order after every week?
Nothing has changed since the other GP and it will not change until a ruling on the DD diffusers will be given.

CNR
5th April 2009, 23:40
button has shown that lewis may not be a super hot shot
if lewis was in a honda (2007 2008) would he have been any better then button

wedge
6th April 2009, 00:40
The Heidfelds, Buttons, Trullis are your good drivers but not special. They deserve a couple of wins.

I'm not sure where to place Button sometimes. Personally I'd group him with Kubica, Vettel - I'd like to see them tested more if they had a genuine WDC challenge in top car against near equal rival team.

jens
6th April 2009, 18:40
I don't know if the point of this thread has been understood correctly by everyone. :p : The key question most likely here is: if a driver you never rated and who never happened to achieve much either, suddenly starts winning, would you change your view on him?

ioan
6th April 2009, 18:58
I don't know if the point of this thread has been understood correctly by everyone. :p : The key question most likely here is: if a driver you never rated and who never happened to achieve much either, suddenly starts winning, would you change your view on him?

No.

jens
6th April 2009, 19:35
No.

Well, at least you are consistent. ;) But there are always those, who would!

I am evil Homer
6th April 2009, 20:16
No I wouldn't either...I don't think Button is WDC material, neither Trulli or Heidfeld, Webber. They're good drivers but that's it - I have a personal opinion of who in that group is better than who but that wasn't question :p