PDA

View Full Version : Z-Line Furniture and Dale Coyne

Gluaistean
5th April 2009, 16:44
Excuse me if this has already been covered. I see on Motorsorts.com that Justin Wilson is driving a Sonny's BBQ car. Has Dale lost Z-Line and if anyone knows about an official announcement I'd appreciate the link?

Thanks.

jwhite9185
6th April 2009, 12:49
Still saw Z-Line on the crew uniforms - although they might be left over from last season.

Chamoo
6th April 2009, 13:48
Still saw Z-Line on the crew uniforms - although they might be left over from last season.

Probably more likely, unless Z-Lines is inline for the second car whenever it comes online.

Usually teams don't announce they have lost sponsors as it looks bad on the IRL and the team itself so I doubt you'll find a press release or an announcement.

seppefan
6th April 2009, 16:17
Maybe they will come back after such a good result.

Mad_Hatter
6th April 2009, 20:11
If I were DC I'd use the Z-Line money to improve the development on the Sonny's car(if it's still there). That's easy for me to say though...

Gluaistean
7th April 2009, 07:13
Is it possible that the Sonny's sponsorship was on the car because that is their base of operations?

Chamoo
7th April 2009, 13:39
If I were DC I'd use the Z-Line money to improve the development on the Sonny's car(if it's still there). That's easy for me to say though...

Well that is even if there is any Z-Line money. If they do have a deal with Z-Line for 2009, I doubt they would want DC taking that money and putting it into one car that doesn't have their name on it.

Either way, I think Dale wants to get 2 cars going again to get his crew members some work again.

Dr. Krogshöj
8th April 2009, 09:01
I gathered Z-Line has left and the crew uniforms were leftovers from 2008. DCR is on the verge of becoming a top team or at least a strong midfield team with people like Bill Pappas and Justin Wilson. They should really up their ante in terms of driver and crew uniforms too, because they looked very unprofessional last weekend.

dataman1
8th April 2009, 16:04
I gathered Z-Line has left and the crew uniforms were leftovers from 2008. DCR is on the verge of becoming a top team or at least a strong midfield team with people like Bill Pappas and Justin Wilson. They should really up their ante in terms of driver and crew uniforms too, because they looked very unprofessional last weekend.

I understand your point however Dale is paying for this effort out of his pocket as he owns Sony's BBQ. Uniforms and looking better will come with sponsor dollars. Until then, I wish him great success and continued podium finishes.

Gluaistean
8th April 2009, 20:11
I understand your point however Dale is paying for this effort out of his pocket as he owns Sony's BBQ. Uniforms and looking better will come with sponsor dollars. Until then, I wish him great success and continued podium finishes.

Agreed. I just wonder where the previous poster got the information that Z-Line was gone. During the final test runs they were all over the car. Now, they are gone. I hope it's my theory that Sonny's was on the car becasue of it's Florida HQ.

Chamoo
8th April 2009, 20:36
Agreed. I just wonder where the previous poster got the information that Z-Line was gone. During the final test runs they were all over the car. Now, they are gone. I hope it's my theory that Sonny's was on the car becasue of it's Florida HQ.

Dale might have them on board for the second car? I'm not sure really where they went. They might had been negotiating with them over the winter and kept their adverts on the cars in the mean time.

Mad_Hatter
8th April 2009, 20:53
Well that is even if there is any Z-Line money. If they do have a deal with Z-Line for 2009, I doubt they would want DC taking that money and putting it into one car that doesn't have their name on it.

Either way, I think Dale wants to get 2 cars going again to get his crew members some work again.

I wasn't saying no Z-line space on the Sonny's car, I was saying have one of them become a primary sponsor and the other fund car development. If JW runs the way he did in St. Pete more during the season it couldn't do anything but help to work on some of the aero bits Justin mentioned or improve the damper program.

dataman1
14th April 2009, 14:13
Spoke with a team member last evening and got report that they got their old sponsor Z-line to sign a deal. Should see change in Long Beach. Unable to get details on length of deal.

Chamoo
14th April 2009, 17:36
Spoke with a team member last evening and got report that they got their old sponsor Z-line to sign a deal. Should see change in Long Beach. Unable to get details on length of deal.

That is very good news. This should help bring DCR up to two cars I would think from I500 on?

MDS
15th April 2009, 22:37
Entry list came out yesterday with Justin Wilson in the Z-Line 18, rather than the 19. I don't know if this means the 19 will be back, but I suspect it will for Indy at least

The wild rumor I heard the evening after St. Pete is that Rockstar wanted to dump Sheckter and Beck and move to Coyne with Wilson, or NHL with Doornbos. It appears now that at least half of that rumor is true.

Mad_Hatter
15th April 2009, 23:29
The wild rumor I heard the evening after St. Pete is that Rockstar wanted to dump Sheckter and Beck and move to Coyne with Wilson, or NHL with Doornbos. It appears now that at least half of that rumor is true.

That's quite a conflict with NHLR's Artic Ice isn't it? Speaking of which, why are they still on with NHL considering that Milka is apparently out of that seat?

Chamoo
16th April 2009, 03:17

Latest I heard is that Rockstar was scared off by Team 3G's lack of pace, which is really more about driver then team and that they wanted to take Tomas to Coyne instead.

And I think that Wilson switching to car number 18 is simply because that is the car number that the Z-Lines livery carried last season. Z-Lines probably wants to keep the number associated with the sponsorship.

MDS
16th April 2009, 03:59
There's no Artic Ice on Doornbos car. Also, I said it was a wild rumor, but it came from someone who was in the hospitality suites, so its conceivable he overheard someone talking. And its also possible that what he heard was just talk, along the lines of "Why are we sponsoring that guy, when that other car is unsponsored?"

Blaming Stanton Barrett's performance largely on Stanton Barrett doesn't make a lot of sense to me. This is a guy who struggled to find the pace with a team that has never run one car full season, much less two, and somehow the car that got a late start is going to be that much more competitive? If I were rockstar and could get signage on Dale Coyne's second car, or on Doornbos' car, or a couple of races Marco's car, I would rather do that and get a higher return on investment.

Chamoo
16th April 2009, 04:54
There's no Artic Ice on Doornbos car. Also, I said it was a wild rumor, but it came from someone who was in the hospitality suites, so its conceivable he overheard someone talking. And its also possible that what he heard was just talk, along the lines of "Why are we sponsoring that guy, when that other car is unsponsored?"

Blaming Stanton Barrett's performance largely on Stanton Barrett doesn't make a lot of sense to me. This is a guy who struggled to find the pace with a team that has never run one car full season, much less two, and somehow the car that got a late start is going to be that much more competitive? If I were rockstar and could get signage on Dale Coyne's second car, or on Doornbos' car, or a couple of races Marco's car, I would rather do that and get a higher return on investment.

I'm not saying your wrong MDS, just throwing out what I heard as well.

As for Stanton Barrett, I think most would agree that usually when a car is a few seconds off the pace, it is usually the drivers fault. Team 3G/Beck has run full season teams before, both 1 and 2 car teams. They also were one of the first teams to announce their 2009 programs, and started no later then anyone else.

Rockstar has been on Tomas' cars before and I doubt that they would dump him for another driver. I think once they saw -4 laps after Stanton Barretts name, it made the people at Rockstar think twice about throwing their money at that organization which I think isn't really fair. When they saw Justin Wilson run third and know that Dale Coyne has a second car sitting around waiting to be run, they most likely figured if they could run a second car with Tomas in it at DCR for the same amount of money as a car at Team 3G why not?

MDS
16th April 2009, 13:18
Beck might have run two car teams back in the day when the IRL was amature hour, but they've made what, three starts in the last two years? So while that organization has been around, the staff hasn't, and that's who really matter.

Twitter posts from Sheckter seems to point to Rockstar either going away entirely or leaving him. I think its more likely Rockstar won't be in the IRL this year, but maybe they'll pop up on another, more competitive car.

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 04:12
Beck might have run two car teams back in the day when the IRL was amature hour, but they've made what, three starts in the last two years? So while that organization has been around, the staff hasn't, and that's who really matter.

Twitter posts from Sheckter seems to point to Rockstar either going away entirely or leaving him. I think its more likely Rockstar won't be in the IRL this year, but maybe they'll pop up on another, more competitive car.

Autoracing 1 has a photo from the Coyne pits with the crew working on Z-Line. That's good news.

I'm lost as usual on the Rockstar deal. MDS, are they with anyone as it is? Has Doornbos found a sponsor? And from what I hear, Milka is not gone from NHL? Ovals only. Good luck answeing all those questions.

I actually have a friend that works next door to NHL shop.

Chamoo
17th April 2009, 05:53
Autoracing 1 has a photo from the Coyne pits with the crew working on Z-Line. That's good news.

I'm lost as usual on the Rockstar deal. MDS, are they with anyone as it is? Has Doornbos found a sponsor? And from what I hear, Milka is not gone from NHL? Ovals only. Good luck answeing all those questions.

I actually have a friend that works next door to NHL shop.

If you don't mind, I can throw some answers in here for you.

Tomas Scheckter announced to Curt Cavin about a month before the season that he had a big name sponsor ready to drop some cash for his ride this season. However, since he got the money together relatively late, he ended up having trouble finding a suitable ride. Anyways, he basically announced on Twitter he would be bringing Rockstar Energy Drink money to Team 3G in a second car for them, starting at Long Beach for rest of the season. After the poor showing of Stanton Barrett at St. Petes, it is believed Rockstar didn't like the fact that Tomas would be joining a team whose driver ended up 4 laps down and the deal is taking more time then expected. Rumors consist of Rockstar looking to bring their money to other one car teams to run Scheckter instead of Team 3G.

As for Doornbos, his father is funding his ride, and unless they find someone to stick on the car, his father will continue paying for that ride in 09.

It's been reported by a few people that Milka is done at NHL and was even close to announcing an Oval-only deal with D&R so this comes as news to me. However, Milka didn't look terrible in the Homestead test this year with NHL and was not the slowest car on track so this might be something they are accepting. Robin Miller has mentioned a few times that Carl Haas just couldn't bring himself to run Milka no matter how much money she brought, but maybe an oval only deal works for them seeing how she ran decently at Homestead.

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 13:36
If you don't mind, I can throw some answers in here for you.

Tomas Scheckter announced to Curt Cavin about a month before the season that he had a big name sponsor ready to drop some cash for his ride this season. However, since he got the money together relatively late, he ended up having trouble finding a suitable ride. Anyways, he basically announced on Twitter he would be bringing Rockstar Energy Drink money to Team 3G in a second car for them, starting at Long Beach for rest of the season. After the poor showing of Stanton Barrett at St. Petes, it is believed Rockstar didn't like the fact that Tomas would be joining a team whose driver ended up 4 laps down and the deal is taking more time then expected. Rumors consist of Rockstar looking to bring their money to other one car teams to run Scheckter instead of Team 3G.

As for Doornbos, his father is funding his ride, and unless they find someone to stick on the car, his father will continue paying for that ride in 09.

It's been reported by a few people that Milka is done at NHL and was even close to announcing an Oval-only deal with D&R so this comes as news to me. However, Milka didn't look terrible in the Homestead test this year with NHL and was not the slowest car on track so this might be something they are accepting. Robin Miller has mentioned a few times that Carl Haas just couldn't bring himself to run Milka no matter how much money she brought, but maybe an oval only deal works for them seeing how she ran decently at Homestead.

Thanks Chamoo,that clears up qyuite a bit.

MDS
17th April 2009, 13:45
What I've heard is that Rockstar isn't exactly wedded to Sheckter and if there were a chance to get on one of the established teams looking for funds like KV, AGR, NHL or Dale Coyne they'd look at that. The problem is the Rockstar deal is reportedly in the $3 million range and so that's not enough for a full car, and a lot of teams are unwilling to let their sidepods go for less. Add to that NHL has conflicts with Artic Ice and Doornbos' is still a Red Bull athlete, which is why Artic Ice isn't on his car. AGR has a deal with Frank's Energy Drink and several soft drinks through 7-11. So that leaves KVRT, which could use sponsorship, but doesn't have room for Sheckter, Dale Coyne, Conquest, and potentially Rahal Letterman Racing. Honestly I'd be surprised if they showed up on a car at Kansas. Scheckter didn't exactly impress a lot of owners the way be broke parts in LDR last year.

Personally, and this is just me, but if I were Rockstar I'd try to get on Mario Moreas' car, as its likely the most competitive car without a sponsor conflict.

I'm not sure if Doornbos' funding is coming from his father, or a collection of Dutch backers who are supporting a fellow countryman, or through GR8 Industries, his management agency. I've heard all three scenarios.

Last I heard was on Milka was the Citgo money wasn't as big as it was supposed to be and she's not with NHL. Maybe they've decided to just go oval only, I'm not sure, but I've also heard she's back at D&RR, so who knows.

Chamoo
17th April 2009, 15:52
Last I heard was on Milka was the Citgo money wasn't as big as it was supposed to be and she's not with NHL. Maybe they've decided to just go oval only, I'm not sure, but I've also heard she's back at D&RR, so who knows.

The more I think about what Gluaistean was saying about Milka, the more it sounds like it could be right. If Arctic Ice is still on the McDonald's car, and Milka brought Arctic Ice, wouldn't it make sense she is still with the team in some form or other.

MDS
17th April 2009, 16:01
I'm not sure that Milka brought Arctic Ice. And even if she did, it wouldn't be the first sponsor someone brought to the dance to end up on someone else's shoulder.

Chamoo
17th April 2009, 16:40
I'm not sure that Milka brought Arctic Ice. And even if she did, it wouldn't be the first sponsor someone brought to the dance to end up on someone else's shoulder.

Point understood. Miller did say Arctic Ice was a Milka sponsor. All I'm saying is that the connection is there so it is more a possibility then had Arctic Ice not been on Graham's car.

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 17:07
Thanks Chamoo,that clears up qyuite a bit.

By the way, that is a new word.Qyuite....sheeesh.

Gluaistean
17th April 2009, 17:16
What I've heard is that Rockstar isn't exactly wedded to Sheckter and if there were a chance to get on one of the established teams looking for funds like KV, AGR, NHL or Dale Coyne they'd look at that. The problem is the Rockstar deal is reportedly in the $3 million range and so that's not enough for a full car, and a lot of teams are unwilling to let their sidepods go for less. Add to that NHL has conflicts with Artic Ice and Doornbos' is still a Red Bull athlete, which is why Artic Ice isn't on his car. AGR has a deal with Frank's Energy Drink and several soft drinks through 7-11. So that leaves KVRT, which could use sponsorship, but doesn't have room for Sheckter, Dale Coyne, Conquest, and potentially Rahal Letterman Racing. Honestly I'd be surprised if they showed up on a car at Kansas. Scheckter didn't exactly impress a lot of owners the way be broke parts in LDR last year.

Personally, and this is just me, but if I were Rockstar I'd try to get on Mario Moreas' car, as its likely the most competitive car without a sponsor conflict.

I'm not sure if Doornbos' funding is coming from his father, or a collection of Dutch backers who are supporting a fellow countryman, or through GR8 Industries, his management agency. I've heard all three scenarios.

Good observations there MDS. Isn't it amazing that there is so much conflict with energy drinks and the only one with Red Bull, the king of them all is their association with Doornbos. At any rate, it's nice to see the sponsors coming back. Time for Mi-Jack or Walter Payton Equipment to step up since they are part of Lanigans empire. Howell equipment too.

Chamoo
17th April 2009, 21:13
Good observations there MDS. Isn't it amazing that there is so much conflict with energy drinks and the only one with Red Bull, the king of them all is their association with Doornbos. At any rate, it's nice to see the sponsors coming back. Time for Mi-Jack or Walter Payton Equipment to step up since they are part of Lanigans empire. Howell equipment too.

I would think that once one or two energy drink companies return, they will all come calling.

Gluaistean
20th April 2009, 13:45
It appears as though there is going to be a second Z-Line car. This was mentioned at LB, Saturday. Now, that would be great.

Chamoo
20th April 2009, 15:14
It appears as though there is going to be a second Z-Line car. This was mentioned at LB, Saturday. Now, that would be great.

I'd be so happy for Dale if he actually found proper sponsorship for both cars. If Z-Lines goes on JDub's car all season, and a second DCR car runs Z-Lines from I500 on, with Sonny's as an associate on both of them, then he has a pretty good opportunity to concentrate on racing for once and stop worrying about money.

nigelred5
20th April 2009, 17:15
I firmly believe DC would be a top 3 team if he ever had consistent legitimate sponsorship. I'd really like to see Wilson give them a couple wins this year.

Chamoo
20th April 2009, 17:48
I firmly believe DC would be a top 3 team if he ever had consistent legitimate sponsorship. I'd really like to see Wilson give them a couple wins this year.

I remember one year in CCWS, there were strong rumors DCR had landed Best Buy sponsorship for two cars, and people were very excited about the prospects of seeing DCR compete. However, it never came together, but if 2 Z-Lines cars happened, or atleast 1 well funded Z-Lines car, and piece together sponsorship for the other, they would be able to improve greatly. All they need are the aero pieces for the ovals and they'd be set.

Gluaistean
21st April 2009, 23:41
I remember one year in CCWS, there were strong rumors DCR had landed Best Buy sponsorship for two cars, and people were very excited about the prospects of seeing DCR compete. However, it never came together, but if 2 Z-Lines cars happened, or atleast 1 well funded Z-Lines car, and piece together sponsorship for the other, they would be able to improve greatly. All they need are the aero pieces for the ovals and they'd be set.

Chamoo, I see it that way too. By the way, have you seen the associate sponsor on the KV Racing team ,Votorantim? Was that a Mario sponsor because I'm almost certain they were on one of Dales cars last year?

Chamoo
22nd April 2009, 04:28
Chamoo, I see it that way too. By the way, have you seen the associate sponsor on the KV Racing team ,Votorantim? Was that a Mario sponsor because I'm almost certain they were on one of Dales cars last year?

Yes they are. They fund Mario's driving.

BobbyC
26th April 2009, 03:24
And I think that Wilson switching to car number 18 is simply because that is the car number that the Z-Line livery carried last season. Z-Line probably wants to keep the number associated with the sponsorship.

Yes, but bit's with the NASCAR Nationwide Series car Z-Line Designs sponsors. Sponsors are now associating themselves more with car numbers, so often if they sponsor a NASCAR national series car and an IRL IndyCar, they will want the cars to share a number. Z-Line's NNS cars have been #18 (Gibbs' primary number), so Z-Line chose to have their IRL car to carry #18.

That's why Will Power's car at Long Beach carried the stylised #12 as in Justin Allgaier's Nationwide Series car. Both are Verizon-sponsored.