PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the end of lap 31 on the BBC interactive loop

Somebody
5th April 2009, 12:17
Glock really got robbed, he took Heidfeld one corner after the "end" of the race.

And given the fact that the counter decremented between that and the red flag (the BBC have *really* trimmed down the highlights), I'm not 100% sure they made the right call about the lap ending the race...

UltimateDanGTR
5th April 2009, 12:21
nor do I looking at it. ooh, another courtroom result decision.......

Somebody
5th April 2009, 12:25
Well, the McLaren guy did say they were "discussing" it in the interview where the Beeb broke the news to Lewis that he'd been deemed seventh rather than fifth..

[I can't check it again because the Beeb have now put the sports loop picture over the F1 audio]

ioan
5th April 2009, 12:42
Rules are rules and I think that the results will stand.

Somebody
5th April 2009, 12:54
Rules are rules and I think that the results will stand.

The same way the Brazil '03 result "stood"?

I'm not disputing the rules, just their application.

superocean
5th April 2009, 12:59
this is yet another race where we will not know for sure who won the race and who else is where else.
This is becoming a farce in terms of definitive racing results.

52Paddy
5th April 2009, 15:23
this is yet another race where we will not know for sure who won the race and who else is where else.
This is becoming a farce in terms of definitive racing results.

True that you say that. But I view these extraordinary results (Aus and Mal 09) as completely coincidental. These are not your 'run of the mill' races. I don't expect this form and farcical carry on to continue right through the year. But I do expect genuinely more exciting racing. As soon as that diffuser cr*p is cleared up, I think we're on our way to a great season's racing. I'm not just playing the optimists card, I genuinely believe so. :beer:

UltimateDanGTR
5th April 2009, 15:38
and I agree paddy. Once in europe the championship will become sane off the track, and brilliant on it. we've already seen ontrack brilliance so far this season, theoretically that will continue and the politics will die down.

ioan
5th April 2009, 15:53
The same way the Brazil '03 result "stood"?

I'm not disputing the rules, just their application.

The end result in Brazil 2003 was established exactly like the one today, the positions at the end of the last complete lap in racing conditions are the ones taken as end results.

N. Jones
5th April 2009, 18:01
The Speedtv guys said that the order is determined on the lap before the last lap run. So that is where the final order came from.

blito
5th April 2009, 21:21
red flag came out part way through lap 32, therefore last completed racing lap was 31 so results declared as end of lap 31.
Rules are very clear on this and have been called upon several times over the last 20-30 years or so.

Somebody
5th April 2009, 22:37
The Speedtv guys said that the order is determined on the lap before the last lap run. So that is where the final order came from.

The sporting regs, for once, are very clear on this:

43.2) Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the Line before the signal was given.

jso1985
6th April 2009, 00:46
I know the SC was called out(and then the red flag) for safety reason I agree with but I feel Glock was sort of robbed of a win, as I think he was going to cacth Button in 1-2 laps... anyway I'm not complaining as I truly agree with the reasons to stop the race

ChrisS
6th April 2009, 19:50
The sporting regs, for once, are very clear on this:

43.2) Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the Line before the signal was given.

Thats not the rule that applies here. For the situation we had in Malaysia rule 42.8 from section 42) RESUMING A RACE applies

42.8 If the race cannot be resumed the results will be taken at the end of the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given.

wmcot
7th April 2009, 07:47
I have to admit that the end was confusing due to the frantic activity with everyone pitting (some twice in 2 laps!) and then cars spinning off followed by the safety car. I am glad that I'm not an official scorer on this one! This is a race finish that really should be reviewed carefully.

Ari
7th April 2009, 08:20
Webber was robbed too... but rules are rules. We'll just have to get over it.

Knock-on
7th April 2009, 09:49
Webber was robbed too... but rules are rules. We'll just have to get over it.

Yep. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Ari
7th April 2009, 09:54
Yep. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Don't you mean "Sometimes you win, sometimes you Webber". :p

Valve Bounce
7th April 2009, 10:03
Glock really got robbed, he took Heidfeld one corner after the "end" of the race.

And given the fact that the counter decremented between that and the red flag (the BBC have *really* trimmed down the highlights), I'm not 100% sure they made the right call about the lap ending the race...

LINK PLEASE

Somebody
8th April 2009, 04:57
LINK PLEASE

Ummm... how? I watched this on the telly, not on teh interwebz.