PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the race: Malaysia 2009

Dave B
5th April 2009, 11:19
Button for calmness at the front, if you exclude his start.

Glock for an inspired tyre choice and what's currently looking like P2.

Webber for some great overtaking and some level-headed leadership in atrocious conditions.

Daniel
5th April 2009, 11:21
Agree with Dave on that.

UltimateDanGTR
5th April 2009, 11:23
Rosberg was doing superb until what seems to be bad tyre choices but I was really rooting for him.

Button is my driver of the day now he and his team have got it right well done jenson.

this race aint going no further so we might as well call or DotD now.

F1boat
5th April 2009, 11:32
So far Button and Nick Heidfeld, but it is not over!!!

dj_bytedisaster
5th April 2009, 11:47
Button, has to be - for being the first driver ever who didn't have a chance to *not* win it. He could do what he wanted and still came out first anyways.

yodasarmpit
5th April 2009, 11:48
Button and Glock.

Ranger
5th April 2009, 11:49
Button, Glock, Webber.

It's a shame Webber got completely dicked once the red flag was shown.

Garry Walker
5th April 2009, 11:51
Why is everyone giving Button the driver of the race title? He has by far the best car, it was an easy win.

Ranger
5th April 2009, 11:55
Why is everyone giving Button the driver of the race title? He has by far the best car, it was an easy win.

Correct. But to be honest there weren't too many standouts today.

So my revised DOTD's are Glock and Webber.

But I'll be a bit biased and say Webber. Although he was pretty much the most impressive anyway, Glock went to inter's and got a touch lucky.

wedge
5th April 2009, 12:01

Easy win? He fluffed the start and regained the lead and the Toyotas were a threat. Did Button crack under pressure from Glock?

If Massa did the same thing would you still award him driver of the race?

ShiftingGears
5th April 2009, 12:02
Button kept cool and did just what he needed to, without mistakes. But my pick is Webber.

christophulus
5th April 2009, 12:07
Glock (thanks to his team making great tyre choices) and Webber, echoing what everyone else said. Webber was something else on the wet tyres.

And an honorable mention for Button and Rosberg.

Ranger
5th April 2009, 12:08
Poll please? :)

ozrevhead
5th April 2009, 12:18
Glock (thanks to his team making great tyre choices) and Webber, echoing what everyone else said. Webber was something else on the wet tyres.

And an honorable mention for Button and Rosberg.
agree with that

also kudos to Mark for his leadership during the suspended period and making sure Charlie Whiting knew what the drivers felt

UltimateDanGTR
5th April 2009, 12:26

You go and win the world championship in Buttons car then if its easy :D

'Easier than other drivers had it' would have been more appropriate ;)

VkmSpouge
5th April 2009, 12:29
Button for calmness at the front, if you exclude his start.

Glock for an inspired tyre choice and what's currently looking like P2.

Webber for some great overtaking and some level-headed leadership in atrocious conditions.

I completely agree with those choices. Timo Glock and Toyota made some excellent tyre choices at exactly the right time and Button drove superbly.

RJL25
5th April 2009, 12:32
also kudos to Mark for his leadership during the suspended period and making sure Charlie Whiting knew what the drivers felt

The other drivers obviously respect him, during the coverage at one point during the red flag you heard Trulli saying something along the lines of get them to speak to Webber, don't know exactly all of it because Ten in Australia lost the feed for a while there, but clearly there is a reason why the drivers elect Mark as one of the heads of the drivers association.

I liked watching Mark's battle with Fernando and Glock earlier in the race in the dry, a lot of respect there I think all three of those guys where not giving an inch but at the same time giving each other room, thats something that can only be done through mutual respect.

Then later with his battle with Hamilton, if you remember back to last year at Monza Hamilton made a few enemies, including Webber, during that race for chopping people off and so forth, but that time around I thought Hamilton was a lot fairer and it was a good battle, still driving hard, but fair, kudos to him

Ranger
5th April 2009, 12:34
I thought Hamilton was good today as well, considering.

RJL25
5th April 2009, 12:40
I'm one of these people who has found it hard to like Lewis due to some of the attitude things he had from time to time which I know got on a lot of peoples nerves, not just mine, but I genuinely genuinely felt for the man.. I mean it is so easy to forget just how young he is and I think Mclaren took advantage of him and put him in an impossible position. It may backfire on them as well because up untill now Hamilton had been a "mclaren for life" man, i'm not quite sure we will see him saying that again anytime soon.........

ozrevhead
5th April 2009, 12:51
The other drivers obviously respect him, during the coverage at one point during the red flag you heard Trulli saying something along the lines of get them to speak to Webber, don't know exactly all of it because Ten in Australia lost the feed for a while there, but clearly there is a reason why the drivers elect Mark as one of the heads of the drivers association.

Its one thing appointing someone to a position but wheather or not he proves by his actions if hes up to it is a hole different race altogether!

I liked watching Mark's battle with Fernando and Glock earlier in the race in the dry, a lot of respect there I think all three of those guys where not giving an inch but at the same time giving each other room, thats something that can only be done through mutual respect.

Then later with his battle with Hamilton, if you remember back to last year at Monza Hamilton made a few enemies, including Webber, during that race for chopping people off and so forth, but that time around I thought Hamilton was a lot fairer and it was a good battle, still driving hard, but fair, kudos to him

agree totally - that is racing at its best and its why I love the sport

Robinho
5th April 2009, 13:07
Button for recovring form a poor start, an great move on Alonso, not falling off in the wet, always ending up on the right tyres and then reclaiming the lead from Glock.

Glock for being involved in the lead fight with some great driving on he right tyres when everyone else was waiting for the heavy stuff to come.

great battling from Webber

markabilly
5th April 2009, 13:20
I give Button only a half driver of the race for his half win to go with his half medal and half points
I went back to bed, after they stopped the race and started waiting (sorry it was bad enough to be getting up at 2 in the morning to relaize the racxe actually started later) so I did not see "the end" where they threw the checker flag

superocean
5th April 2009, 13:24
I agree with Glock, Webber, Rosberg did well in the beginning.

winner would have been us the viewers had this race been run earlier in the day and we got to see all of that exciting action that we saw in the first 30 laps.

ioan
5th April 2009, 13:27
There is no question about it, it's Heidfeld.
10th to 2nd after starting the race with a truckload of fuel and making the right decision at the right time, like always in difficult conditions.

Well done Nick

markabilly
5th April 2009, 13:43
My real vote for driver of the race goes to Kimi.
While all the other morons were busy waiting and all dresssed up with no where to go, Kimi slipped into something more comfortable and started this:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/Piratella/Piratella_02/snapshot20090405133809.png

:love:

No BODY, not even Lewis, is Kooler than Kimi!!

(not too sure what the other guy was doing with Kimi's ear and other stufff..)
finally a correct decision: when to pit for ice cream

52Paddy
5th April 2009, 14:59
Its a difficult one to call but for me, its Rosberg. He opened up a magnificent gap in the opening laps after his great start. And he kept really cool while at the front. Shame that weather so adversely affected his initial charge.

Glock, on the other hand, got the tyre selection spot on. He deserves a mention, timing was slightly out though. He may have won had his tyres not gone so bald in the closing stages.

Heidfeld, Barrichello and Trulli all hung in there to finish in the better end of the points positions so kudos to them.

And, while Button took advantage of his fellow racers' mistakes, he did after-all turn out a deserved winner in those chaotic conditions.

Webber gets my "race-craft award." He kept me entertained all the while. His balls out approach was what we were looking for on the racetrack and his authoritative stance on the status of the race before it was officially stopped, made him the perfect man to call the shots on the drivers' behalf.

pettersolberg29
5th April 2009, 15:15
There is no question about it, it's Heidfeld.
10th to 2nd after starting the race with a truckload of fuel and making the right decision at the right time, like always in difficult conditions.

Well done Nick

Agree wholeheartedly!

AndyL
5th April 2009, 15:24
I'm going to go for Button, for the early move on Alonso (it took Rubens several more laps to find a way past), and those two outrageously quick laps to take the lead after Rosberg and Trulli had pitted. Those were the sort of thing that Schumacher used to win races with.
Rosberg was tremendous in the first stint but his pace seemed to fall off after his first pit stop, even before the rain - I wonder what happened there.
Honourable mentions for Glock, Trulli, Heidfeld, Webber and Rubens. Garry Walker, I assume Rubens will be your donkey of the race, coming 5th in by far the best car? ;)

UltimateDanGTR
5th April 2009, 15:31
My real vote for driver of the race goes to Kimi.
While all the other morons were busy waiting and all dresssed up with no where to go, Kimi slipped into something more comfortable and started this:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/Piratella/Piratella_02/snapshot20090405133809.png

:love:

No BODY, not even Lewis, is Kooler than Kimi!!

(not too sure what the other guy was doing with Kimi's ear and other stufff..)
finally a correct decision: when to pit for ice cream

probably coolest way to retire from a grand prix ever. and your right, Kimi is so cool. Arrogant, and a bit shy, but just cool. :s mokin:

and obviously funny

jens
5th April 2009, 16:28
Considering the mess it's quite difficult to really bring a special case out.

Button had quite a disappointing first stint I'd say, but from there on controlled the race nicely, also in rain.
Glock had even a more disappointing first stint, but was doing great in the wet.
I have to say that I have been really impressed with Hamilton so far in 2009. Before the season I thought that Kovalainen may be more "comfortable" in midfield battles, but instead of him it's Hamilton, who fights hard and well from poor grid positions. Nice drive again. :up:
Webber was very impressive too, but somehow circumstances never get into his favour in the final result...
And Heidfeld/BMW get a praise for choosing the best strategy of the day. 1 stop against everyone else's 3 or 4 - wow! One can be lucky for once, but I'd say that his ability to consistently rise to the top from nowhere in tricky conditions pays tribute to great tactical mind.

SGWilko
5th April 2009, 17:58
Poll please? :)

Robert Kubica..... ;)

RJL25
5th April 2009, 21:56
I like Kimi, the attitude is just brilliant "what they haven't called the race yet? So what clearly we cannot continue... i'm going, do we still have any magnum's or did the mechanics get stuck into them during the race? we do? good.."

RJL25
5th April 2009, 21:57
jens - Kubica is a great "racer" there is no doubt about that!

Triumph
5th April 2009, 23:29
Driver of the race: Jenson Button, obviously :-)

Ari
5th April 2009, 23:36
Button>Webber.

Button just ran his race. Yes, the best car out there but he is driving the balls of it and doing it well. Very clean race again. Guy has not put a foot wrong all year. Impressed.

Webber was going around the outside of them in the wet. If not for the lap countback he would have been on the podium. Deserved a podium. As usual shows what he can do in the wet. If not for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all!!

ShiftingGears
6th April 2009, 12:20
probably coolest way to retire from a grand prix ever. and your right, Kimi is so cool. Arrogant, and a bit shy, but just cool. :s mokin:

and obviously funny

I fail to see how Kimi is arrogant.

Knock-on
6th April 2009, 12:31
There were some good drives out there.

Hamilton wrung the neck out of that Brick
Button was sublime
Glock committed
Webber for a great battle with Fred and general all round driving
Nico was good as was JT

On balance, I think Lewis as he was up to 5th with no excuse whatsoever for being there apart from driver skill.

UltimateDanGTR
6th April 2009, 13:48
I fail to see how Kimi is arrogant.

In my opinion he gives off a bit of an arrogant aura. But thats ok for an F1 driver because they all need to believe they're the best otherwise they wouldnt have any drive.

PolePosition_1
6th April 2009, 13:55

I don't know, in the pitstop window, he made 8 seconds in 3 laps to Rosberg, it reminded me of the Schumacher days.

Sure he has best car, but so has Rubens, if you look at their performance, Button is making the most of it, so you have to give credit where its due.

My choice though would go to Glock, his choice for the tyres, and he made the most of it.

But a mention would also go to Webber and Heidfeld.

wedge
6th April 2009, 15:15
In my opinion he gives off a bit of an arrogant aura. But thats ok for an F1 driver because they all need to believe they're the best otherwise they wouldnt have any drive.

Arrogant is the wrong word to describe Kimi. He is his own man and being different gives off an impression of being arrogant.

I don't know, in the pitstop window, he made 8 seconds in 3 laps to Rosberg, it reminded me of the Schumacher days.

It's becoming a tired cliche these days. I'm currently reading Alex Zanardi's autobiography and he did exactly the same thing in CART: saved fuel and banging in the lap times in clear air and extra laps on his rivals.

RJL25
6th April 2009, 15:32
It's also how Bourdais won a lot of races in Champcar, but its like comparing apples with sausages because by nature Champcar, indycar or whatever has way way way more safety car periods and so forth which brings fuel strategies into play. It's not really a relevant strategy in F1, in F1 its more don't destroy your tyres if you can't get by the guy in front, instead wait till he pits, then bang in the quick laps to do a pit pass, if the guy in front is pitting later then you, well your pretty stuffed so you have to pass him on the track.

PolePosition_1
6th April 2009, 15:41
I agree with Glock, Webber, Rosberg did well in the beginning.

winner would have been us the viewers had this race been run earlier in the day and we got to see all of that exciting action that we saw in the first 30 laps.

To be fair, it rained incredibly heavy at 2pm local time as well, putting the GP2 race to a red flag.

555-04Q2
6th April 2009, 15:43
Always has to be the winner, so Button again, good drive :up: Everyone else is just a loser all the way from second to the last man in line.

555-04Q2
6th April 2009, 15:45

Even the best car has to finish...easy win or not, he won, everyone else lost.

wedge
6th April 2009, 15:53
It's also how Bourdais won a lot of races in Champcar, but its like comparing apples with sausages because by nature Champcar, indycar or whatever has way way way more safety car periods and so forth which brings fuel strategies into play. It's not really a relevant strategy in F1, in F1 its more don't destroy your tyres if you can't get by the guy in front, instead wait till he pits, then bang in the quick laps to do a pit pass, if the guy in front is pitting later then you, well your pretty stuffed so you have to pass him on the track.

Both do refuelling so fuel strategy is important in both.

Anyway, The main point is that the car is fastest at the beginning and end of the stint because the tyre are fresh in the former and fuel acts as ballast in the latter.

RJL25
6th April 2009, 15:58
Always has to be the winner, so Button again, good drive :up: Everyone else is just a loser all the way from second to the last man in line.

right... you know the question is not about who won the race, but rather who did the best job with what they had to work with... often that is the winner yes, but if you cannot understand how someone other then the winner could have been the standout driver due to certain circumstances then, well... lets just say I question your knowledge of Formula One racing, or motorsport in general really

RJL25
6th April 2009, 16:00
Both do refuelling so fuel strategy is important in both.

Anyway, The main point is that the car is fastest at the beginning and end of the stint because the tyre are fresh in the former and fuel acts as ballast in the latter.

Yes but in indycar everyone starts out with full tanks of fuel, they short shift and save fuel so to hopefully give themselfs an extra lap or two which may help them better position themselfs strategically when the safety car comes out. That is not something that would work in F1 due to the completely different nature of the sport

There is fuel strategy in both yes, but in F1 its more about how much fuel you put in at the start of the race and then at each stop which determins how many stops you do and how long your stints are with reference to the weight and therefore speed of your car, in indycar its the same but completely different, there its all about timing your pit stops to tie in with the safety car.

samuratt
6th April 2009, 17:26
Button for managing the race, he was first with 4 stops under his belt, so he went fast. Yes Nick had a good race too, but was second with just 1 stop, that means Button went a lot faster to make up for that extra minute he spent on the pits (lets say 20secs per stop).

Glock for making a lot out of his team decisions, he was on the right tire while the rest not, and he was 10sec a lap faster.

Worth mentioning (in no particular order):
- Alonso's start (form 9th to 3rd). I suppouse nobody mentioned because the rest of his race was quite crappy to say the least...
- Rosberg 1st stint
- Mark Webber, Alonso and Glock battle
- Kimi on extreme wet tires on a dry track...

tintop
6th April 2009, 18:50
Button + Glock. It is very very hard to lead a variable condition race. Glock was fun to watch! He had a tire advantage though most of the corners, but not all!

dj_bytedisaster
6th April 2009, 19:51
I want to nominate someone else - Rob Smedley. His radio coversation with Felipe - even if that was a farcial race (thanx midget :mad :) that one conversation mad me laugh so much and made me remember that both drivers and team members are only human - that was so positively hillarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsSmGPLMVno

Thank you felipe and rob for that EPIC gem :laugh:

wmcot
7th April 2009, 08:23
SMARTEST driver of the race - Kovalainnen. He stayed dry and saved himself from a miserable day's work! :)

stevie_gerrard
7th April 2009, 09:56
Timo Glock without a doubt. Timed his strategy to perfection and could very well have ended with the race win, he looked so comfortable in the wet.

555-04Q2
7th April 2009, 11:11
right... you know the question is not about who won the race, but rather who did the best job with what they had to work with... often that is the winner yes, but if you cannot understand how someone other then the winner could have been the standout driver due to certain circumstances then, well... lets just say I question your knowledge of Formula One racing, or motorsport in general really

I've always had an issue with this topic...

Drivers are employed to...win and only win. Teams dont want second, third etc How can any of the other drivers, who are all the losers of the day and failed in their jobs, be the "Driver of the race"? They could be "Driver who performed best today" but not "Driver of the race", that is reserved for the winner.

ioan
7th April 2009, 12:00

Drivers are employed to...win and only win. Teams dont want second, third etc How can any of the other drivers, who are all the losers of the day and failed in their jobs, be the "Driver of the race"? They could be "Driver who performed best today" but not "Driver of the race", that is reserved for the winner.

I see your point but I think that you miss the point of the thread, which in't called "Winner of the race" but "Driver of the race".

IMO a driver who starts towards the end of the field and finishes on the podium did a much better job than the one who started first and finished first with very little drama involved.

RJL25
7th April 2009, 12:10

Lets take Australia as an example.

Lewis Hamilton, in a clearly rubbish car, drove from 15th on the grid through to 4th.

Jenson Button, in a car clearly superior to everyone else, started from pole and won the race (good work) but couldn't shake sebastien vettel in a slower Red Bull car.

Sure Jenson may well have been doing just enough to win the race, which is a fair enough strategy to employ, but his drive was hardly more impressive then Hamilton's.

ShiftingGears
7th April 2009, 12:12
I see your point but I think that you miss the point of the thread, which in't called "Winner of the race" but "Driver of the race".

IMO a driver who starts towards the end of the field and finishes on the podium did a much better job than the one who started first and finished first with very little drama involved.

Yep.

555-04Q2
7th April 2009, 13:37
I hear what you are all saying, but I still feel the "driver of the race" is the one who completes the task he is employed to do, win. Anyone else is just the loser of the race if you ask me ( 2nd = first loser, 3rd = second loser etc etc )

wedge
7th April 2009, 13:37

http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521607&postcount=2

Dave B
7th April 2009, 13:41
I hear what you are all saying, but I still feel the "driver of the race" is the one who completes the task he is employed to do, win. Anyone else is just the loser of the race if you ask me ( 2nd = first loser, 3rd = second loser etc etc )

So if, say, Fisichella dragged a POS Force India from 19th to 2nd, that wouldn't be more worthy of praise than somebody cruising from lights to flag in a dominant car?

Garry Walker
7th April 2009, 13:52
Glock and Webber

ioan
7th April 2009, 14:33
http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521607&postcount=2

Your point being?!
Is it because I acknowledged that I'll prefer Massa because I'm biased?
Or because he had pit stop problems but still managed to do a perfect job?
Or maybe because no one did anything really special in that race?

555-04Q2
7th April 2009, 15:33
So if, say, Fisichella dragged a POS Force India from 19th to 2nd, that wouldn't be more worthy of praise than somebody cruising from lights to flag in a dominant car?

Yes and no. Yes because it would be a great drive and he should be praised, we can both agree on that :) No because anything other than winning is counted as failure in F1, not correct?

wedge
7th April 2009, 15:37
Your point being?!
Is it because I acknowledged that I'll prefer Massa because I'm biased?
Or because he had pit stop problems but still managed to do a perfect job?
Or maybe because no one did anything really special in that race?

http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=615031&postcount=14

Hypocrisy has no limits around here!

Similar to Monaco last year. Hamilton made a mistake in the race and reclaimed his lead for victory.

Button messed up his start and turned it into a victory in the wet. If that doesn't deserve any credit then what does?

ioan
7th April 2009, 16:17
Similar to Monaco last year. Hamilton made a mistake in the race and reclaimed his lead for victory.

Button messed up his start and turned it into a victory in the wet. If that doesn't deserve any credit then what does?

Hamilton got in front because his clash with the barriers made him pit before the SC was deployed.

Button was first before the rain arrived and because his car was 1 seconds/lap fatser than that of Trulli.

However, don't let facts tell the story, twist it to suit your POV.

wedge
7th April 2009, 16:19
Hamilton got in front because his clash with the barriers made him pit before the SC was deployed.

Button was first before the rain arrived and because his car was 1 seconds/lap fatser than that of Trulli.

However, don't let facts tell the story, twist it to suit your POV.

Glock was arguably quicker since he caught up with Button

AndyL
7th April 2009, 17:16

Glock was quicker than everyone on the damp track when he was on inters and everyone else was on wets! :)

Malaysia is up on VisionF1 now for anyone who wants to watch it replayed in dot form. It's interesting to see how much of Button's victory was made on lap 22, the last lap almost everyone was on slicks as it started to rain. His lead over Rosberg increased from 6 seconds to nearly 15 on that one lap.
Webber was also quick on that lap.

jens
7th April 2009, 17:28
Yes and no. Yes because it would be a great drive and he should be praised, we can both agree on that :) No because anything other than winning is counted as failure in F1, not correct?

Everything is relative. Sorry, but there is no way for a team like Force India 2nd place would be a failure. They would be extremely overjoyed.

ioan
7th April 2009, 21:15

Why did he not finish 2nd then?

woody2goody
7th April 2009, 21:48
My driver of the day for Sepang:

Jenson Button

closely followed by:

Nico Rosberg
Rubens Barrichello
Timo Glock
Nick Heidfeld

RJL25
8th April 2009, 00:18
No because anything other than winning is counted as failure in F1, not correct?

No, not correct, because there are a lot of teams in F1 that do not have cars that are capable of winning and they know that, so they employ drivers who they feel will maximise the potential of the car.

Do you really think that Force India hires their drivers on the basis that they have to win? Ofcourse not, because they can't, instead they hire drivers based on will they maximise the potential of the car, do they have the required technical skills to help develop the car, will they keep the car off the barriers, etc

555-04Q2
8th April 2009, 06:29
No, not correct, because there are a lot of teams in F1 that do not have cars that are capable of winning and they know that, so they employ drivers who they feel will maximise the potential of the car.

Do you really think that Force India hires their drivers on the basis that they have to win? Ofcourse not, because they can't, instead they hire drivers based on will they maximise the potential of the car, do they have the required technical skills to help develop the car, will they keep the car off the barriers, etc

I have to disagree. Millions are spent on F1 team budgets and you're telling me that the aim is not to win? Do you really think that the team principal, mechanics, sponsors etc dont expect a team to win? I dont care if you are driving a soapbox, if you are in F1 it is to win, not come second.

jens
8th April 2009, 10:29
I have to disagree. Millions are spent on F1 team budgets and you're telling me that the aim is not to win? Do you really think that the team principal, mechanics, sponsors etc dont expect a team to win? I dont care if you are driving a soapbox, if you are in F1 it is to win, not come second.

Well, you shouldn't mix up long-term and short-term plans. Sure enough one day Mallya wishes to be a front-runner in F1 (he has even said it), but they can't be one at the moment. If they aim to win races right now, they would be delusional.

555-04Q2
8th April 2009, 11:12
If they aim to win races right now, they would be delusional.

Brawn GP confounds that thought pattern. Anyone is able to get it right, if they plan right.

wedge
8th April 2009, 11:41
Why did he not finish 2nd then?

Because Button kept his cool, kept his car on the track :D

Dave B
8th April 2009, 11:44
Brawn GP confounds that thought pattern. Anyone is able to get it right, if they plan right.
The power of positive thought! BGP only got it right because they had the luxury of 15 months to conceptualise and build their new car, backed by the financial might of Honda and guided by one of the most experienced team managers in the sport today.

That's simply not a set of circumstances available to Force India, try as they might.

Dave B
8th April 2009, 11:46
That sounds like the American Dream, where anybody can become president. Obviously only if they're rich, well-educated, or their dad was a president. But other than that, anybody. :p

555-04Q2
8th April 2009, 15:42
The power of positive thought! BGP only got it right because they had the luxury of 15 months to conceptualise and build their new car, backed by the financial might of Honda and guided by one of the most experienced team managers in the sport today.

That's simply not a set of circumstances available to Force India, try as they might.

True, Brawn GP was born out of the old Honda Team, but this years design changes were open to Force India, for example, at the same time as Honda which went on to become the new (and very exciting) Brawn GP. They both had the same time frame to perfect the design.

Budget constraints dont cut it for me either. Money doesnt solve problems, clever design and engineering does, and you dont always need a gazillion dollars or a million staff to come up with a winning formula. Just look at our privateer Seat racing drivers over here, they cleaned up our factory teams and won the championship comfortably with a tiny budget, proof that a winning formula is possible without large sums of money. And yes, I realise there is a difference between F1 and Seat race cars :p :

555-04Q2
8th April 2009, 15:44
That sounds like the American Dream, where anybody can become president. Obviously only if they're rich, well-educated, or their dad was a president. But other than that, anybody. :p

This reminds me of a quote I once heard, "who do I have to kill to climb the ladder?" :p :

AndyL
8th April 2009, 16:19
Budget constraints dont cut it for me either. Money doesnt solve problems, clever design and engineering does, and you dont always need a gazillion dollars or a million staff to come up with a winning formula.

Hmmm... I would agree that having money doesn't solve problems, but I think not having money does cause them. A team can have stacks of money and not be fast, as Toyota and Honda have proved in the past, but if you have no money you will invariably be near the back of the field.

jens
8th April 2009, 16:52
Money doesnt solve problems, clever design and engineering does, and you dont always need a gazillion dollars or a million staff to come up with a winning formula.

The "problem" is that money motivates clever designers to come over into the richer teams and generally enables to create advantageous conditions for constructing a 'clever design'. Williams is a good example about money - there is little doubt in their engineering abilities, but due to lack of funds they haven't been doing much in recent years.

And I'm afraid a parallel between a Seat and F1 really can't be drawn. :)

555-04Q2
9th April 2009, 06:36
I still dont buy the budget constraints. Even the smallest teams have millions of dollars available to them, maybe not 300m, but plenty still.

Good engineering doesnt come from money, it comes from clever people, and even the "small" teams have clever people at their disposal. Just because a designer or engineer is paid 10m a year, it doesnt make him technically smarter than the guy next door getting 1m, just a better negotiator :p :

555-04Q2
9th April 2009, 06:36
And I'm afraid a parallel between a Seat and F1 really can't be drawn. :)

You're right, there is less controversy in the Seat racing formula :p :