PDA

View Full Version : There could be "more drama" for Hamilton

Lalo
2nd April 2009, 20:11
A spokesman for F1's governing body late Thursday would not rule out ‘further action’ against McLaren Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton.

Following a reconvened stewards hearing at Sepang, the reigning world champion was excluded from the results of the Australian Grand Prix, having been found guilty of ‘deliberately misleading’ the Melbourne inquiry.

"We could not rule out further action at this stage," the spokesman said in Malaysia.

It is Hamilton and McLaren's breach of article 151c of the International Sporting Code that could carry penalties ranging from reprimands to total exclusion from the championship.

Rumours at Sepang suggested the matter could be referred by the FIA to the World Motor Sport Council.

McLaren Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh, however, insists that neither the team nor Hamilton 'lied'.

"I don't know what they meant by (deliberately misleading), you'd have to ask them," he said as he addressed swarms of media in the paddock.

"They believe that the omission of the information about the radio conversation between the team and Lewis was withheld and that is what they believe was misleading."

Triple world champion Niki Lauda told the German broadcaster RTL that he considers it ‘the biggest joke of all time’ that the FIA took four days to come to a definitive ruling about the incident.

Source: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090402145024.shtml

tintop
3rd April 2009, 15:56
The current FIA's legal actions should be a case study at all Law Schools for generations to come for capricious and arbitrary decision making processes in professional governing bodies.

Knock-on
3rd April 2009, 16:36
I think justice has been served with his disqualification and public humiliation.

Looking at recent events where MS sent to the back of a grid for deliberatly parking his car and then giving an account that the Stewards didn't believe for one minute, you have to say that he has been more than adequatly reprimanded considering Schumacher went on to earn points in the race.

I am in no way condoning the actions of Lewis, Mclaren, or Schumacher but am drawing a comparisson.

I hope a line can be drawn under the incident by the FIA.

Garry Walker
3rd April 2009, 16:38
I reckon the right punishment for McLaren would be that they would have to sign Heikki to a 5 year contract. But that is possibly too cruel.

ioan
3rd April 2009, 16:55
I reckon the right punishment for McLaren would be that they would have to sign Heikki to a 5 year contract. But that is possibly too cruel.

I'd rather propose Alonso instead of Heikki, the Spaniard might even enjoy it, not sure about Lewis and McLaren though! :D

SGWilko
3rd April 2009, 16:56
There could be 'more drama' for Hamilton.

Has he brought the 'A Touch Of Frost' box set of DVD's to Sepang then? ;)

Robinho
3rd April 2009, 17:00
seeing as i missed the end of the last thread (and the one after that, doh) - (deep breath)

The on track shenanigans were confusing to say the least, i'm still not sure what the right thing was, but in the confusion Lewis let Trulli back past.

at the end of that, if everything was in the open and honest the positions would likely have been reversed as Hamilton was probably right to have stayed in front.

to then try to cover up that they had let Trulli past, therefore making it look as though Trulli was in the wrong is stupid and indefensible - regardless of whether the situation ever needed to have got as far as the stewards.

to actually say they didn't let Trulli through when there was so much evidence to the contrary beggars belief - for that reason alone i can't belive it was premeditated cos if they had actually thought about it there was no way they would have tried that one on for size.

from a sporting point of view i fail to see why they (McLaren) didn't just take the opportunity to let the stewards correct whatever mistakes were made and put the result back to where it should have been.

the lying is distasteful and pointless, and i'm unsure whether to belive it was all down to Dave Ryan and Hamilton has a bit more about him than that - his conduct in the press conference and his future conduct will decide that for me, he has a chance to distance himself from all this and prove he is his own man, who can be trusted to make his own decisions and play fair - if he fouls up again my feelings will turn sour towards him in the same way they did with a certain other prodigal talent whose win at all costs approach put me off him after a couple of years in the sport until his last years

V12
3rd April 2009, 17:00
I'm not Hamilton's biggest fan but this is really starting to take the....

I agree - justice has been served already IMO, let's just draw a line and get on with it.

AndyRAC
3rd April 2009, 17:07
I'm not Hamilton's biggest fan but this is really starting to take the....

I agree - justice has been served already IMO, let's just draw a line and get on with it.

Same here - both him and the team have behaved like prats - they have got their just desserts. Move on and forget it.
I'm not sure dragging it on and on does anything to the sport.

Saying that, from some of the comments you'd think somebody had commited a most henious crime. What he did was wrong, but a sense of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Mark in Oshawa
4th April 2009, 06:20
The FIA can make the most clear cut rule look murky...and give out justice with a side order of Malice...

Hamilton is not going to get any favourable treatment...THAT Much is clear.

And people think NASCAR is run with favouritism.....

F1boat
4th April 2009, 06:30
Probably FIA will execute Lewis as well as F1 ;)

Lalo
5th April 2009, 08:21
Now it seems that Hamilton is considering quitting McLaren and F1!

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/74279

Tazio
5th April 2009, 08:32
This has turned into a freak-show :laugh:

Dave B
5th April 2009, 09:08
Now it seems that Hamilton is considering quitting McLaren and F1!

You've got the tense wrong, there's a story that for a moment he did consider it but he ain't going anywhere - yet.

It's been extreme and there has been no hint of what has been reported this morning, so at the moment I don't believe what has been reported

Martin Whitmarsh, above, quoted in Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74283).

Dave B
5th April 2009, 09:17
This has been denied by the parties involved so I think this can be taken with a pinch of salt. Afterall the only sources saying this are the press. Our British press are some of the worst liars in the world so enough said.... :)

Who will be the first to compare the word 'liar' here and use Hamilton in the same sentence LOL.. Sorry ;-)
If a journalist lies, and says that a liar is telling a lie, does it tear a hole in time? :crazy:

Daniel
5th April 2009, 09:28
That does not compute. *BOOM*

Big Ben
5th April 2009, 14:34
Now tell me people you didn´t shed a tear when you read this story. I have almost choked. The big bad wolves tricked the young, innocent prince to tell a lie and when he discovered the conspiracy he ran into the woods and wept and wept and didn´t want to come out.

I honestly hope he didn´t have suicidal thoughts over this. Come on boy, we know now that even though you were the one who talked with the other guy on the radio about letting the italian pass and you were the one who told the media you let him through you didn´t know you were lying because the big bad team mislead you and made you believe the truth was different and everything that had happened before was a bad dream.

So way to go champ... blame everybody else because you´re to stupid to make the difference between right and wrong, between telling the truth or a lie even when it comes out of your own mouth. it´s not a lie if you believe it, right? Quite an honorable and honest man he is, always ready to admit the faults and mistakes of them around him.

And the article... what a pathetic fairy tale... meant to achieve what??

Please people tell me if this boy is retarded because in that case I owe him and you apologies.

markabilly
5th April 2009, 14:49
"Anthony has brought Lewis up not to be like that and he is disappointed somebody has called him a liar when he isn't deliberately lying."

from Hamilton:

"As soon as I got out the car I had the television interviews at the back of the garage, and straight away I gave them a good account of what happened during the race," said Hamilton.

"Straight after that we were requested by the stewards, and while waiting for the stewards I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information, and that is what I did."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74202
There are many prosecutors who would say, "and upon that, I rest my case...."

But let us see here, if no press interveiw before he recieved his cover up instructions, then we might NEVER have known about what really happenned...........and Trulli would be still stuck in "no-where"

And I guess, it is NOT deliberately lying when told to lie by one of the team managers.............

Of course, everyone knows it is okay to perjure oneself when told to do so by your lawyers, but I did not know there was another exception for when your manager tells you to do so.... :rolleyes:

(And as to team responsibility, we have the seal of approval from the big dog himself: McLaren Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh, however, insists that neither the team nor Hamilton 'lied'.
"I don't know what they meant by (deliberately misleading), you'd have to ask them," he said as he addressed swarms of media in the paddock.)

CNR
5th April 2009, 23:11
Hamilton considered quittingthis is the same as with spygate Hamilton considered quitting.
if he dose not get his way it is i will Quit

Ari
5th April 2009, 23:39
I'm not a Lewis or McLaren fan by any means. In fact I don't like either.

but....

Enough's enough. He was excluded from Australia, that's enough. If the bin him from the season what then happens to the sponsors investments as well? FIA need to step back a little.

Valve Bounce
6th April 2009, 02:10
I'm not a Lewis or McLaren fan by any means. In fact I don't like either.

but....

Enough's enough. He was excluded from Australia, that's enough. If the bin him from the season what then happens to the sponsors investments as well? FIA need to step back a little.

I don't want to see Lewis Hamilton punished in any way that would affect the WDC or WCC championship. However, if he was made to pick up dog poo in plastic bin bags for 3 race weekends at circuits, that would be good for his soul.

e2mtt
6th April 2009, 03:05
Apparently rather then telling the truth of what happened, and hopefully revert Hamilton to P3 & Trulli to P4, McLaren tried to hurt their opponent as much as possible. In the process they behave dishonestly themselves. Some kind of textbook psychology case here.

Of course, I don't trust the FIA to rule correctly on anything.