PDA

View Full Version : Good ol' Murray!

wedge
2nd April 2009, 16:23
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/murraywalker/2009/04/your_questions_answered_week_1.html

International version: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7975553.stm

Garry Walker
2nd April 2009, 18:32
My question to him would be: How was it that without any understanding of racing, with a very annoying voice and imbecile-like comments, you were able to gain such popularity?

Garry Walker
2nd April 2009, 18:39
Kubica up there with BUTTON and Hamilton and the typical walker comment "very very good indeed"
Good to see that aging has not made him any smarter.

woody2goody
2nd April 2009, 18:52
You sound bitter there Garry mate...

Walker's a legend. I think it's good to get another opinion on everything that's gone on.

Garry Walker
2nd April 2009, 18:55
You sound bitter there Garry mate...

Walker's a legend. I think it's good to get another opinion on everything that's gone on.
I am not bitter, I just have always disliked him and I am not known for holding back my opinion.

2nd April 2009, 19:12
My question to him would be: How was it that without any understanding of racing, with a very annoying voice and imbecile-like comments, you were able to gain such popularity?

Second that.

Being enthusiastic is not an excuse for being an imbecile.

ArrowsFA1
2nd April 2009, 20:35
Murray's comments are a worthwhile addition to the BBC coverage :up:

christophulus
2nd April 2009, 21:39
I think last time I looked, Murray had been commentating on motor racing for just under 60 years. He did get alot of facts wrong and made some hilarious cock ups in his time but it was always enjoyable to watch as there was such passion in what he was saying. There were not many drivers on the grid who disliked him, and a fond friend of his was Ayrton Senna who always made time to give an interview. He's always given a fair account of what is going on and has not favoured, more admired drivers for their talent. A true legend and a great ambassador for the sport.

Well said :up:

woody2goody
2nd April 2009, 22:48
Thumbs up to that one too :)

wedge
2nd April 2009, 22:49
Kubica up there with BUTTON and Hamilton and the typical walker comment "very very good indeed"
Good to see that aging has not made him any smarter.

Garry Walker, ever the expert, pre-Ferrari forever claiming Kimi was over rated and would never deserved a WDC!

Triumph
2nd April 2009, 22:58
Well said there, Murray. Can't fault any of that. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Dave B
3rd April 2009, 03:00
Murray's a legend. Unfortunately there will always be some bitter and twisted individuals who are unable to respect that, even if they don't necessarily like him themselves.

Mark
3rd April 2009, 10:36

You're entitled to your opinion on his commentary style. But to say Murray Walker has/had little understand of racing is so wrong as to be completely laughable.

SGWilko
3rd April 2009, 12:10
Second that.

Being enthusiastic is not an excuse for being an imbecile.

What makes him an imbecile then Tamb?

Garry Walker
3rd April 2009, 17:06
Garry Walker, ever the expert, pre-Ferrari forever claiming Kimi was over rated and would never deserved a WDC!

I said that Massa will give huge amount of trouble to Kimi and beat him very often and that is what has happened. I even remember making a bet and winning it. Again, I was right.

I dont recall saying he will never win the title, though.

You're entitled to your opinion on his commentary style. But to say Murray Walker has/had little understand of racing is so wrong as to be completely laughable.

If laughable and truth are the same to you, then maybe. But the fact is that through all the races that I have watched with him commenting, he showed he doesnt understand F1 at all. The tactics, the racing, he was most of the time very confused about what was going on and without Brundle and Hunt holding his hand, it would have been funnier and dumber than Mr.Bean.

I was very happy when he retired from ITV, such a shame it was 30 years too late.

AndyRAC
3rd April 2009, 17:18
I think Murray has forgotten more about Motorsport than most people will ever know. He's a walking encyclopedia on it particularly F1 & The TT Races - remember also, he is 86 - he is bound to get things a little mixed up from time to time. Blimey, can't believe some people on here.

Garry Walker
3rd April 2009, 17:26
I think Murray has forgotten more about Motorsport than most people will ever know. He's a walking encyclopedia on it particularly F1 & The TT Races - remember also, he is 86 - he is bound to get things a little mixed up from time to time. Blimey, can't believe some people on here.

It is not about knowing facts, he might know them or not, but it is about understanding racing and quite frankly, he was a complete retard in that regard. He was just so struggling to understand it and most of the time he didnt.
Knowing who scored the fastest lap at Imola 1996 or how many times Mansell started from the front row is not understanding of the sport.
Many savants are walking encylopedias too, but they dont understand the things they know as normal people do.

Dave B
3rd April 2009, 17:37
I think we'll have to agree to disagree, you've clearly got your opinion and you're entitled to it.

When Murray goes he'll be remembered fondly by millions of people, something which I'm sure cannot be said of his detractors.

Garry Walker
3rd April 2009, 17:43
I think we'll have to agree to disagree, you've clearly got your opinion and you're entitled to it.

When Murray goes he'll be remembered fondly by millions of people, something which I'm sure cannot be said of his detractors.

I am really mighty sad that I am not adored by many idiots :rotflmao:

wedge
3rd April 2009, 22:44
It is not about knowing facts, he might know them or not, but it is about understanding racing and quite frankly, he was a complete retard in that regard. He was just so struggling to understand it and most of the time he didnt.
Knowing who scored the fastest lap at Imola 1996 or how many times Mansell started from the front row is not understanding of the sport.
Many savants are walking encylopedias too, but they dont understand the things they know as normal people do.

On reflection he changed his opinion of the Hill/Schumacher clash at Adelaide '94 as a racing incident whereas today patriotic Brits/Schumi haters still insist Schumacher was clearly in the wrong.

The weak side to Murray was that his understanding of the technical side of things was very poor but that's why he had the likes of James Hunt, Johnathan Palmer and Martin Brundle to help him along.