PDA

View Full Version : How do i become a Marshal?

Chris2k6
31st March 2009, 14:34
Hey guys

i'm pretty new to the website, but i was just wondering how you become a Marshal? I'm now based down at Brize Norton and so i'm only 50+ miles from Thruxton so just wanting a heads up. If anyone is a Marshal then please let me know a bit more of what involves and stuff like that as i'm pretty interested in becoming one

Cheers

MrJan
31st March 2009, 15:00
Local motor club will be the way forward mate. They will organise events and always need marshals to get involved. Remember that it needn't be confined to track stuff, rallying is generally desperate for people and other stuff like sprinting and hillclimbs rarely say no to extra help.

Like I say get in contact with a local motor club and take it from there :)

Sonic
31st March 2009, 15:30
Could also try your local track for track day marshalling - get a foot in the door as it were.

Chris2k6
1st April 2009, 16:59
Cheers guys, i've e-mailed the local motor club at witney. As for the local racing track? the only one i know of is Thruxton which is 50miles away as i've only moved to the area...

wedge
1st April 2009, 23:33
http://www.marshals.co.uk/join.php

Best hurry up. IIRC their training is usually around Easter.

leopard
2nd April 2009, 08:33
Do we want to be race director, and may be FIA president someday, how? :)

Chris2k6
2nd April 2009, 17:06
Cheers Wedge, i should be able to print it off monday and get it sent off

2nd April 2009, 17:23
Hey guys

i'm pretty new to the website, but i was just wondering how you become a Marshal?

Well, normally the sheriff gives you a badge....usually when theres a trouble coming to town.

Chris2k6
2nd April 2009, 20:40
BOOM BOOM! lol

Mark in Oshawa
4th April 2009, 04:31
Well, normally the sheriff gives you a badge....usually when theres a trouble coming to town.

He's in town all week folks, tip your waiters and try the fish!

Seriously Chris. Give timing and scoring a try as well. I tried both, and the first week I went to marshal I got very wet and cold, stood all day and got basically bored out of my mind. I understand it is an acquired taste, but timing and scoring people are usually all volunteers at club racing levels and you get a decent spot to watch, do something mentally challenging (at least if they teach you to do timing and scoring manually which is still vital in back up to the transponder systems now in use) and you stay warm and dry.

Just a thought. Then again, you may like being cold and wet...I am just saying....

Easy Drifter
4th April 2009, 05:32
When did they heat timing and scoring at Mosport? Even Race Control didn't have heat or Air conditioning. Dry yes. The only places heated used to be the Medical room and Harvey and Bernie's offices. For a couple of years I did have access to the offices if I got too ruddy cold.

Mark in Oshawa
4th April 2009, 06:15
When did they heat timing and scoring at Mosport? Even Race Control didn't have heat or Air conditioning. Dry yes. The only places heated used to be the Medical room and Harvey and Bernie's offices. For a couple of years I did have access to the offices if I got too ruddy cold.

Drifter..I was going to Mosport from 1985 on as a timing and scoring volunteer/Chief timekeeper. The old timing facility got better heat and A/C while Harvey was still around, Miles found some old Hotel H/V/AC units and had them put in. Those same units work in the new buildings built on the outside of the main straight and they almost work decent enough to be useful!!!!

markabilly
4th April 2009, 16:18
Hey guys

i'm pretty new to the website, but i was just wondering how you become a Marshal? I'm now based down at Brize Norton and so i'm only 50+ miles from Thruxton so just wanting a heads up. If anyone is a Marshal then please let me know a bit more of what involves and stuff like that as i'm pretty interested in becoming one

Cheers

If you wanted to do it for the fia, I can tell you that you are way overqualified from your post, notwithstanding some grammer and spelling issues, as the IQ cut-off is 65.

Sonic
4th April 2009, 17:57
If you wanted to do it for the fia, I can tell you that you are way overqualified from your post, notwithstanding some grammer and spelling issues, as the IQ cut-off is 65.

ROFL! :roll:

Chris2k6
5th April 2009, 07:25
He's in town all week folks, tip your waiters and try the fish!

Seriously Chris. Give timing and scoring a try as well. I tried both, and the first week I went to marshal I got very wet and cold, stood all day and got basically bored out of my mind. I understand it is an acquired taste, but timing and scoring people are usually all volunteers at club racing levels and you get a decent spot to watch, do something mentally challenging (at least if they teach you to do timing and scoring manually which is still vital in back up to the transponder systems now in use) and you stay warm and dry.

Just a thought. Then again, you may like being cold and wet...I am just saying....

haha well the cold and rain doesn't really bother me too much. As a liney in the RAF i often find myself servicing aircraft in the crappy English weather lol

Mark in Oshawa
8th April 2009, 22:45
haha well the cold and rain doesn't really bother me too much. As a liney in the RAF i often find myself servicing aircraft in the crappy English weather lol

Well then you obviously have a masochistic streak like most Englishmen!!!!

Chris2k6
9th April 2009, 19:40
Well then you obviously have a masochistic streak like most Englishmen!!!!

haha you should try it sometime, maybe you would enjoy it too lol

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2009, 21:31
Chris...lol...I tried being a marshal ONCE. It was cold, I stood all day and I couldn't do anything fun like wave the wrong flag or moon the drivers...lol

Chris2k6
10th April 2009, 00:03
Chris...lol...I tried being a marshal ONCE. It was cold, I stood all day and I couldn't do anything fun like wave the wrong flag or moon the drivers...lol

haha!!! i just love cars, and cars racing is just the best thing ever lol so al take any excuse to get close to them lol