PDA

View Full Version : Buemi

31st March 2009, 14:01
Ok, I don't see a thread about it, so started this one.

Was it just me, or did Buemi outqualify and outrace his team-mate? What was Bourdais's excuse this time?

ioan
31st March 2009, 15:31
Buemi had a great first F1 race!
It looks like STR are now the team who is introducing the future superstars to F1, just like Minardi did before becoming STR. :)

Sonic
31st March 2009, 15:36
Buemi had a great first F1 race!
It looks like STR are now the team who is introducing the future superstars to F1, just like Minardi did before becoming STR. :)

Whoa there sunshine.....superstar? Good debut yes but he's been the nearly man in every other championship he's entered so I'll need some more evidence that he's Shumi mark II. ;)

Anywho as for the other Seb he's gonna have to raise his game BIG time or he'll be second out the door this season following Piquet's departure sometime around Barcellona! :D

keysersoze
31st March 2009, 16:07
Last year Bourdais had an auspicious debut race as well . . .

I am evil Homer
31st March 2009, 16:11
Buemi equipped himself well but it was one GP - promising start but lets review by Spain and see if it's the same picture.

Chamoo
31st March 2009, 16:30
Considering Seabass finished one spot behind Buemi I don't see this as a big deal. Maybe had there been 4 or 5 spots between them there would had been an issue for Seabass. Buemi had a good race in Australia, just like Seabass did last year running 3rd (?) when his engine gave out 3 or 4 laps from the end.

DexDexter
31st March 2009, 16:51
Considering Seabass finished one spot behind Buemi I don't see this as a big deal. Maybe had there been 4 or 5 spots between them there would had been an issue for Seabass. Buemi had a good race in Australia, just like Seabass did last year running 3rd (?) when his engine gave out 3 or 4 laps from the end.

Big deal or not, he is going to lose his ride if he continues to be beaten by his rookie teammate.

ykiki
31st March 2009, 17:23
Big deal or not, he is going to lose his ride if he continues to be beaten by his rookie teammate.

So they can hire someone else who will lose to their rookie teammate?

Ah, the fun politics of F1. If Buemi really is the second coming, shouldn't he beat SeaBass on a regular basis (especially any team mate who'd be available as a mid-season replacement)?

woody2goody
31st March 2009, 17:40
The reason Swiss Seb beat French Seb was that he picked his way through the opening carnage very well, and made up quite a few spots. Unfortunately for Bourdais, he was behind Hamilton and Fisichella if I remember who both had to slow a lot to avoid the Kovy/Webber/Sutil chaos.

Bourdais will be fine this year I'm sure. And so will Toro Rosso on this evidence!

31st March 2009, 18:49
The reason Swiss Seb beat French Seb was that he picked his way through the opening carnage very well, and made up quite a few spots. Unfortunately for Bourdais, he was behind Hamilton and Fisichella if I remember who both had to slow a lot to avoid the Kovy/Webber/Sutil chaos.

OK, so what happened in qualifying? Bourdais was already behind Buemi before the lights went green. Was there a car issue or not?

DexDexter
31st March 2009, 19:05
So they can hire someone else who will lose to their rookie teammate?

Ah, the fun politics of F1. If Buemi really is the second coming, shouldn't he beat SeaBass on a regular basis (especially any team mate who'd be available as a mid-season replacement)?

No politics, if you are beaten year after year by your teammate you usually lose your drive. But it's a long season, let's see what happends.

woody2goody
31st March 2009, 19:53
OK, so what happened in qualifying? Bourdais was already behind Buemi before the lights went green. Was there a car issue or not?

I don't think so, Buemi beat him fair and square in quali and the race. In that case, considering all that happened, both men did well IMO.

jens
31st March 2009, 21:18
I'm glad such thread has been created! :up: I remember guys like Button, Räikkönen or Rosberg were hailed as future world champions already after their first race in F1 - despite all getting beaten by their team-mates on their debut. But Buemi got only little attention in a race, where he beat his team-mate, who as we remember from 2008, was very fast at the streets of Albert Park (4th before engine blew up). Swiss Seb was a noticable figure throughout the race, fighting with some big names on-track. Let's see, what the future brings. :)

ioan
31st March 2009, 21:29

Bourdais will be fine this year I'm sure. And so will Toro Rosso on this evidence!

Why was he behind Hamilton at the start? I though that Hamilton was 18th and the two Toyota's were last.

wedge
31st March 2009, 23:39
Ok, I don't see a thread about it, so started this one.

Was it just me, or did Buemi outqualify and outrace his team-mate? What was Bourdais's excuse this time?

Ant reckoned racing at Sebring had something to do with it

F1boat
1st April 2009, 07:01
Ant reckoned racing at Sebring had something to do with it

Why is Serbring harmful?

ArrowsFA1
1st April 2009, 07:48
Saturday Quotes:

Sebastien Buemi - 16th: "I have to say I found the pace at which qualifying happens rather quick! You go out, you come back, you change tyres, you go out again. You need to stay relaxed. I think we did quite a good job with what we had and missed out on Q2 by half a tenth. I am quite happy, as these days have been something of a test session for us and we improved the car quite a lot from yesterday morning through to now. I have taken confidence from what I have done so far and feel I am going to be capable of doing this job, even if I am quite young. The visibility in the sunshine was a bit better than yesterday, but we have to get used to it."
Sebastien Bourdais - 20th: "It was closer than expected to getting to Q2 from a team point of view as Seb just missed out on 15th place to the McLaren by a fraction. My car wasn't too bad: on my second run I made a slight mistake and on my third, unfortunately my out lap was too slow and I did not get the tyres up to temperature. But it's encouraging, as the Red Bull car is going well and we are not as far off the pace as I had expected. We have made good progress in terms of understanding the car. Starting last, it will be a tough race, but I will attack as much as I can and hope the race is as eventful as last year."
Sunday Quotes:

Sebastien Buemi - 8th: "First race first point, so I'm very happy. Maybe we had a bit of luck with the accidents, but even without that we were not too bad and our strategy worked well and I am very happy with the way my race went. I made a mistake when I was alongside Massa, hitting the limiter button, but when he put the KERS on you could really see the advantage it brings. I am pleased with what happened today because to get a point in the bag at the first race takes some pressure off. The team did a fantastic job considering that we have not had much testing time with the car before coming here. It's a dream really and not the result I expected on Friday. It shows we have a good potential."
Sebastien Bourdais - 9th: "I had a very tough first part, as after just three laps, the Option tyres were graining. Several cars passed me so the team called me in and the second stint was not too bad. When the Safety Car came out, it was clear we had to fuel to finish. A few more Safety Cars would therefore have helped as I did a final stint of 36 laps and in the early part the car felt a bit like a caravan with all that fuel weight on board. I had a very big moment where I was lucky not to crash and then I had a seat belt come loose and I had to find a way of locking myself into position in the car. I think we should be a bit stronger in Malaysia next weekend."

Knock-on
1st April 2009, 10:25
Good debut from SB Jnr. Will follow his progress a bit closer next race.

stevie_gerrard
1st April 2009, 10:45
I didn't rate either driver personally at the start of this season, but i was impressed with Buemis start. If he can continue that kind of form, i think that he will be a regular in F1.

keysersoze
1st April 2009, 15:20
IIRC, Buemi's fastest lap was significantly quicker than Bourdais', more than a half-second.

UltimateDanGTR
1st April 2009, 16:32
Didnt think Bourdais or Buemi would do much good, but Both did well in the race and after Australia I sum Buemi up like this:

'Ugly, But efficient'

1st April 2009, 16:48
Didnt think Bourdais or Buemi would do much good, but Both did well in the race and after Australia I sum Buemi up like this:

'Ugly, But efficient'

And you are Brad Pitt?

Not that I'm George Clooney either (more Errol Flynn).

UltimateDanGTR
1st April 2009, 19:50
No Im Anne Wyddecombe ;)

woody2goody
2nd April 2009, 00:41
Why was he behind Hamilton at the start? I though that Hamilton was 18th and the two Toyota's were last.

Sorry, after watching it again I made a mistake, he wasn't behind Hamilton. he actually got a decent start and was behind Buemi. He slowed down when the Webber/Kovy chaos took place, and then Sutil hit him (that was how Sutil lost his front wing) and both Force Indias went by him. Hamilton was behind them all.

Garry Walker
2nd April 2009, 12:29
At this time last year, SB was a rookie and was faster than vettel.

Buemi beating him only shows Vettel is nothing special.

BDunnell
2nd April 2009, 12:32

We have seen one race thus far, and I find your logic there a little convoluted. One thing doesn't necessarily follow from the other.

Garry Walker
2nd April 2009, 12:35
We have seen one race thus far, and I find your logic there a little convoluted. One thing doesn't necessarily follow from the other.

Still, Buemi beating Bourdais shows it is not neccesarily such a feat that vettel fanatics try to make it to be, especially considering that whenever Bourdais was half-happy with his car, he was right on vettels pace.

Dave B
2nd April 2009, 12:37
If I remember Australia correctly, Vettel was challenging for at least 2nd place when he collided with Kubica. That's not too shabby, is it Garry? :\

BDunnell
2nd April 2009, 12:37
I think that Vettel winning a race and being far closer to the leaders' pace in others is more of a marker of his talent than the fact that Buemi beat Bourdais in one race and Bourdais beat Vettel in the same race last year, which is an analysis of driver performance that doesn't bear a great deal of credence.

jens
2nd April 2009, 21:56

A year ago, Vettel was 6th in Q2 at Melbourne before his car failed in Q3. Bourdais, IIRC, didn't make it through Q1.

leopard
3rd April 2009, 07:50
Buemi has a high consistency, he is not a man easily exploded. My impression on him.

wmcot
3rd April 2009, 08:24
Replacing Bourdais won't be an easy task - where are Toro Rosso going to find another qualified driver named Sebastian??? ;)

18th April 2009, 10:01
Thought it was worth bringing this back to the front....

Taxi for Bourdais?

ioan
18th April 2009, 10:03

Taxi for Bourdais?

Maybe Bourdais should have never left CART (or Indy) for F1. He is really showing his limitations right now.

jens
18th April 2009, 10:15
Can't help but think, how would Sato have fared against Buemi? :p :

ioan
18th April 2009, 11:08
Can't help but think, how would Sato have fared against Buemi? :p :

Maybe better maybe worse. What is the point of your question exactly? Gratuitous Sato bashing?

tintop
18th April 2009, 11:19

Taxi for Bourdais?

Didn't have any excuses in the interview I heard, if that's your point again. :rolleyes:

ioan
18th April 2009, 11:28
I guess Tam just meant that Bourdais was slow.

jens
18th April 2009, 11:36
Maybe better maybe worse. What is the point of your question exactly? Gratuitous Sato bashing?

Where do you see bashing? I'm just thinking that looking at Bourdais' struggle, Sato wouldn't have been such a bad choice either like it was made out by many in winter, when the discussions, who deserves STR seat - SB or TS - were at its height.

CNR
18th April 2009, 11:44
1st remember last years car was a race winner

RACE SPEED, SCOTT BOURDAIS, SEBASTIEN
R S B
1 13 7
2 Ret Ret
3 9 15
4 7 Ret
5 11 Ret
6 Ret Ret
7 13 13
8 Ret 17
9 10 11
10 Ret 12
11 10 18
12 12 10
13 11 7
14 13 18
15 13 12
16 14 10
17 18 13
18 11 14
when you look at it scott speed was a better driver

18th April 2009, 11:45
Didn't have any excuses in the interview I heard, if that's your point again. :rolleyes:

My point is that Buemi got in Q3. He's the rookie one, remember? If Bourdais doesn't pick up soon, he can start looking for that full-time Indycar ride that F1 almost lost him to.

markabilly
18th April 2009, 12:55
My point is that Buemi got in Q3. He's the rookie one, remember? If Bourdais doesn't pick up soon, he can start looking for that full-time Indycar ride that F1 almost lost him to.

If he wants to do that IRL (Indy racing losers) series, he missed his chance for this year as Sports Illustrated has already done their swimsuit photo shoot for this year, may be better luck next year

AMEN, Scoottie Speeed, america's hero, ruined by that those two german losers--they should be banned to the IRL----

ioan
18th April 2009, 14:03
Where do you see bashing? I'm just thinking that looking at Bourdais' struggle, Sato wouldn't have been such a bad choice either like it was made out by many in winter, when the discussions, who deserves STR seat - SB or TS - were at its height.

OK, that's better. Sorry for misunderstanding your point.

tintop
18th April 2009, 14:32
Wow, a lot of hatred for a genuinely nice guy. He has been disappointing this year, no doubt. Vettel is clearly a top talent, but Bourdais should be holding his own against seb III.

18th April 2009, 15:16
Wow, a lot of hatred for a genuinely nice guy.

Eh? Hatred? Not quite.

Pointing out that Bourdais is struggling against a rookie who most thought was fast-tracked beyond what his results deserved is not hating Bourdais....just recognising out that he is not the star that ChampCar fans would love to believe and will not see another year in F1 if he doesn't shape up.

aryan
18th April 2009, 16:11
Bourdais is struggling against a rookie who most thought was fast-tracked beyond what his results deserved ...

Funny thing is, that sentence reminded me of another driver whom we all thought has been fast-tracked to F1 and doesn't deserve his super license and might be a danger to other drivers. A certain Finn I am talking about :p

jens
18th April 2009, 16:27
Funny thing is, that sentence reminded me of another driver whom we all thought has been fast-tracked to F1 and doesn't deserve his super license and might be a danger to other drivers. A certain Finn I am talking about :p

Same back in 2000, when it was thought that Button was rushed into F1. Hopefully Buemi is going in the JB/KR path.

If Swiss Seb continues impressing, then maybe soon we will not be comparing him to Bourdais, but Webber, whose seat in the A-team might become more unsecure.

DexDexter
18th April 2009, 17:03
1st remember last years car was a race winner

RACE SPEED, SCOTT BOURDAIS, SEBASTIEN
R S B
1 13 7
2 Ret Ret
3 9 15
4 7 Ret
5 11 Ret
6 Ret Ret
7 13 13
8 Ret 17
9 10 11
10 Ret 12
11 10 18
12 12 10
13 11 7
14 13 18
15 13 12
16 14 10
17 18 13
18 11 14
when you look at it scott speed was a better driver

I agree.... I actually think that Speed wasn't that bad, he and Liuzzi were evenly matched and Speed did show flashes of speed, Berger and Tozt just wanted him out. A shame really.

UltimateDanGTR
18th April 2009, 17:53
I agree.... I actually think that Speed wasn't that bad, he and Liuzzi were evenly matched and Speed did show flashes of speed, Berger and Tozt just wanted him out. A shame really.

no pun intended there im sure. though not really hilarious I know..........

anyway, I dont know why Bourdais, a champcar american scene man, is any better than the actual american. Speed was better if you ask me, however I didnt think he would cut the mustard in Toro Rosso now, because I dont think hed get much more out of the good car provided than Bourdais, but put him in USGPE/USF1/USfarceteam or whatever they will be called and he'll be suited to that :)

tintop
18th April 2009, 17:57
Eh? Hatred? Not quite.

"Ok, I don't see a thread about it, so started this one.

Was it just me, or did Buemi outqualify and outrace his team-mate? What was Bourdais's excuse this time?"

Yeah, OK.

19th April 2009, 07:37

Was it just me, or did Buemi outqualify and outrace his team-mate? What was Bourdais's excuse this time?"

Yeah, OK.

Would you like to actually provide evidence that I "hate" Bourdais?

ArrowsFA1
19th April 2009, 11:18
Buemi's made a great start to the season. He's certainly surprised me so far.

ioan
19th April 2009, 11:20

Yeah, OK.

Well, what now?
Take him back to US, he's useless in F1.

wedge
19th April 2009, 11:53
Well, what now?
Take him back to US, he's useless in F1.

:up: :up:

Unfortunately Seabass brings in sponsorship money

jens
19th April 2009, 12:37
Buemi. :up: :)

I like drivers, who really without any hype somehow silently and without much attention keep getting the job done. :up: And we haven't had a (quick) F1 driver from Switzerland for a long time either, so good to see some more diversity. Considering that motorsport has been banned there for a long time, I've been impressed by drivers, who have emerged from there.

woody2goody
19th April 2009, 17:41
:up: :up:

Unfortunately Seabass brings in sponsorship money

Buemi's brilliant, and fortunately I can be in the smug position of predicting that he'd do really well. But he did clout the race winner up the arse lol.

However Bourdais drove a good race as well, from much further down the grid. He was unlucky that he spun once and about 4 or 5 people went past, unlike Lewis who only lost a couple of places with three spins.

French Seb will be fine, he's just had some bad luck and made a couple of mistakes. Like in quali, one little mistake (like Buemi did in Malaysia I might add) and he was out. Bourdais finished infront of both BMWs, and only 2 sec behind Kimi despite his spin.

This is not Buemi bashing, as you can tell if you read the opening statement, but I'm only trying to be fair to both men. Bourdais was only 18 sec behind Buemi at the finish, despite qualifying (16th?) while Swiss Seb was in the top 10.

UltimateDanGTR
19th April 2009, 18:41
Im watching Buemi very closely. he looks very good, very surpirsingly good......

he's gonna do well in F1 mark my words, maybe not a champ, but a GP winner somewhere in his career Im sure

In otherwords, he's totally opposite to a fellow young driver, Nelson Piquet jnr!

Im impressed with Buemi, he's gonna be first driver before too long. he's already leading the team on the track infront of Bourdais seemingly all the time, (Much faster than the frenchman as well), Seb III is really getting the job done..........

maybe he could take after Seb I, who knows......

Robinho
19th April 2009, 18:58
i like Bourdais, and i want him to do well, but the more time passes, the more it looks like he might just be average.

Buemi has taken to F1 far better than i expected, i don't think he'll probably ever win a stack of races, but he could mix it up near the front in a decent car, and who knows, he could develop into something more if he carries on like this.

then again he wouldn't be the first guy to have an amazing first half of a season and then go awol for several years

woody2goody
19th April 2009, 19:15
Im watching Buemi very closely. he looks very good, very surpirsingly good......

he's gonna do well in F1 mark my words, maybe not a champ, but a GP winner somewhere in his career Im sure

In otherwords, he's totally opposite to a fellow young driver, Nelson Piquet jnr!

Im impressed with Buemi, he's gonna be first driver before too long. he's already leading the team on the track infront of Bourdais seemingly all the time, (Much faster than the frenchman as well), Seb III is really getting the job done..........

maybe he could take after Seb I, who knows......

He already did take after Vettel, he crashed into a Red Bull under safety car conditions!

Seriously though, he's great, and I hope Toro Rosso can fight for podiums at some point this year. I think, like in Spa last year, when Bourdais gets a sniff of a good result he comes into his own. Both him and Buemi are good. Swiss Seb has come out of nowhere, and now everyone knows he is a force to be reckoned with.

Buemi has already given me my favourite moment of the year so far - when he went off in Q1 in Malaysia and over the radio said 'I went off the track, I was three tenths quickler already, nooooooooooooooooooooo!' :D

Garry Walker
19th April 2009, 21:03
I am far more impressed with Buemis rookie season than with vettels.

wedge
20th April 2009, 00:19
Edit

CNR
20th April 2009, 00:37

last year it was a few races before toro rosso got the same spec cars as red bull 2008 cars

gloomyDAY
20th April 2009, 00:41
I am far more impressed with Buemis rookie season than with vettels.Do you have some kind of prejudice towards Vettel?

This thread is about Buemi and you still manage to drag Vettel through the mud.

woody2goody
20th April 2009, 00:49
Do you have some kind of prejudice towards Vettel?

He does it all the time, he just doesn't like the guy.

Vettel's probably the most likeable guy out there so it's a strange one.

Anyway, Vettel won today, so the insults aren't justified.

tintop
20th April 2009, 02:51
Would you like to actually provide evidence that I "hate" Bourdais?

You already have provided it, can't help you any more with the obvious, sorry.

BTW, Vettel and Buemi are extremely impressive, but that's besides the point.

Garry Walker
20th April 2009, 11:41
Do you have some kind of prejudice towards Vettel?

How did I drag him through the mud? I just said I am far more impressed with Buemi than with Vettel.

stevie_gerrard
20th April 2009, 12:00
Another good result for Buemi, hes doing a great job, and hes persuaded me that hes worth his place in F1 :up:

ShiftingGears
20th April 2009, 13:43

BTW, Vettel and Buemi are extremely impressive, but that's besides the point.

I can't see any hatred towards Bourdais at all.

Buemi is going to be one to watch, for sure.

Roamy
20th April 2009, 15:59
I think a comparison is more than fair between vettel and buemi - That is part of the input one uses to rate drivers.

20th April 2009, 18:01

Well, you would be!

20th April 2009, 18:04

In other words, you haven't got anything to back up your claim.

I don't rate Bourdais, certainly, but that's a long way from 'hate'.

20th April 2009, 18:07
I think the difference between perceptions of Vettel & Buemi is that Vettel had a certain amount of "buzz" about him from his F3 EuroSeries and WSR results when he got his F1 chance, whereas Buemi wasn't the obvious headline grabber in either F3 or GP2.

jens
20th April 2009, 19:51
It's too early to compare Buemi to Vettel and suggest they are equally good. For Buemi there is a very long way still to go. We have seen a lot of rookies in the past putting in decent drives in the first few races, but later fade.

It also seems Bourdais isn't really good in adapting. Last year he struggled for half a year until he became relatively quick in the second half of the season. Now in 2009 with totally new cars he seems lost once again and has to start rebuilding himself from zero.

tintop
20th April 2009, 20:40
In other words, you haven't got anything to back up your claim.

I don't rate Bourdais, certainly, but that's a long way from 'hate'.

It's all relative - sure nobody on this forum really hates any of these racers in a personal sense, but to the degree that you inject non-objective sentiments when you create a thread, such as "what will be his excuse this time?" I'll ascribe a certain negative bias to your remarks.

ozrevhead
21st April 2009, 00:45
Well, you would be!
so If i told you I am also more impressed with Buemi does that make me a Vettle hater too????

pffffffffft!!!

I like your posts in general but this one is just silly

The only difference I can see is one has the hype the other doesnt have

keysersoze
21st April 2009, 01:36
Buemi? I'm a believer!

SB getting into Q3 and having the race he did is probably bad news for Bourdais, who didn't have a bad weekend.

Garry Walker
21st April 2009, 11:52
I think the difference between perceptions of Vettel & Buemi is that Vettel had a certain amount of "buzz" about him from his F3 EuroSeries and WSR results when he got his F1 chance, whereas Buemi wasn't the obvious headline grabber in either F3 or GP2.

Vettel was beaten in F3 euroseries by Paul di Resta, in equal cars.

ShiftingGears
21st April 2009, 12:04
Vettel was beaten in F3 euroseries by Paul di Resta, in equal cars.

Force India not trying to get Di Resta in one of their seats is crazy.

Garry Walker
21st April 2009, 12:11
Force India not trying to get Di Resta in one of their seats is crazy.

McLaren should have fired useless heikki and hired Di Resta instead, he is very good.

I am evil Homer
21st April 2009, 13:06
Indeed he is but I fear destined to never crack F1...certainly better than SeaBass or Piquet. Maybe get rid of Fisi and put DiResta in at FI

Roamy
21st April 2009, 15:17
Of all the drivers out there and coming up there are very very few who can drive competively at 200 MPH - While a strong underseries helps determine who - you just never know until you stick them in the car. Both these guys seem to have it. It will be great to watch them both.

Pino won't like this but I think Trulli is one that is fast but has trouble driving in traffic at 200mph.

Also they say rain is the equalizer - well to a point - the longer you stay around in F1 the more you abandon your brash side in favor of your survival side. The exception my be webber. Also in the wet it is also determined by how soft you can get your car set up. One thing about ole MS is that he could really get that car soft when it rained.

woody2goody
21st April 2009, 17:53
Of all the drivers out there and coming up there are very very few who can drive competively at 200 MPH - While a strong underseries helps determine who - you just never know until you stick them in the car. Both these guys seem to have it. It will be great to watch them both.

Pino won't like this but I think Trulli is one that is fast but has trouble driving in traffic at 200mph.

Also they say rain is the equalizer - well to a point - the longer you stay around in F1 the more you abandon your brash side in favor of your survival side. The exception my be webber. Also in the wet it is also determined by how soft you can get your car set up. One thing about ole MS is that he could really get that car soft when it rained.

Trulli's problems, and there are two, are his lack of defensive skills, plus his ability in the wet, which has never been particularly good.

Buemi has shown already that he can mix it up with the best. I know it's verging on an excuse for Bourdais, but do you think that his 4 years of dominance in the US has made him forget how to fight and scrap in the midfield?

Di Resta seems very talented, he'd definitely do well in F1.

christophulus
21st April 2009, 18:05
Di Resta seems very talented, he'd definitely do well in F1.

Am I the only person here who doesn't really know much about Di Resta? I know he's McLaren's next golden boy but I can't say I've ever heard much else about him.

woody2goody
21st April 2009, 18:20
Am I the only person here who doesn't really know much about Di Resta? I know he's McLaren's next golden boy but I can't say I've ever heard much else about him.

I don't know a great deal, but he's ex-F3, where he did very well, and current DTM, where he's also done well, if I'm correct.

jens
22nd April 2009, 19:40
Trulli's problems, and there are two, are his lack of defensive skills, plus his ability in the wet, which has never been particularly good.

Defensive skills huh? Trulli isn't called to be one of the hardest drivers to pass in F1 without a reason. IMO Jarno's main weakness is adaptability in changing conditions - not just about weather, but also tyre degrading for example, or "driving around problems". With a broken diffuser - for example - he has struggled more than many others.

Shanghai really marked several negative factors together: circuit he doesn't particularly like + wet race + dry-weather setup = slow pace. He usually hasn't been that slow in the wet, at least not with a proper setup. Last year at Silvestone he was as high as 3rd at one point of the race having started from 14th.

jens
22nd April 2009, 19:47
I know it's verging on an excuse for Bourdais, but do you think that his 4 years of dominance in the US has made him forget how to fight and scrap in the midfield?

Well, if we are really about to try to find any reasons from the USA experience, then I doubt it's about on-track fights (it's not like he has never raced below P1). Maybe it's more about team-work and work ethics. In Champ Car he was always the No.1 driver in the team, he was the star of the whole series. But how many times have I read Bourdais complaining about the car or that it "doesn't suit his style" during his F1 campaign? Maybe he is struggling to adapt to the demands of F1, where becoming a top ace is harder than in other racing series.

AndyL
23rd April 2009, 10:38
Defensive skills huh? Trulli isn't called to be one of the hardest drivers to pass in F1 without a reason.

:up: The phrase "Trulli train" springs to mind.

Ranger
23rd April 2009, 11:20

23-year-old Scot who beat Vettel in Euro F3 in 2006 and won the title that year, in the same team in the same car.

In career limbo at the moment, driving in the DTM where he was runner-up last year.

I am evil Homer
23rd April 2009, 11:58
I fear unless he gets 'placed' into FI he'll never make F1...shame because IMO he's better than Piquet, SeaBass, Senna, Sato, Davidson, Sutil, Fisichella.

Ranger
23rd April 2009, 12:59
I fear unless he gets 'placed' into FI he'll never make F1...shame because IMO he's better than Piquet, SeaBass, Senna, Sato, Davidson, Sutil, Fisichella.
I have no doubts of that.

AndyL
23rd April 2009, 13:41
23-year-old Scot who beat Vettel in Euro F3 in 2006 and won the title that year, in the same team in the same car.

In career limbo at the moment, driving in the DTM where he was runner-up last year.

He's also the cousin of Dario Franchitti if I recall correctly.

23rd April 2009, 16:23

But Vettel also did World Series by Renault, didn't he?

http://www.carlin.co.uk/news/244/Red-Bull-Junior-Vettel-dominates-in-debut-World-Series-by-Renault-weekend/

As well as that, he became BMW-Sauber Friday test driver after Kubica's promotion to a race seat.

Oh, and almost lost his finger in a WSR accident which meant he wasn't fully fit for some F3 races

"Vettel finished as runner-up in the 2006 F3 Euroseries, behind series leader Paul di Resta. He also made his debut in the World Series by Renault at Misano, winning after Pastor Maldonado was disqualified.[4] However, at the next round at Spa-Francorchamps, his finger was almost sliced off by flying débris in an accident, and he was expected to be out of racing for several weeks.[5] However, he managed to compete in the Ultimate Masters of F3 at Zandvoort the following weekend, finishing in sixth place. He also set third fastest lap time, and it surprised his ASM team boss Frédéric Vasseur. Vasseur said: "I was impressed for sure, because at the beginning of the week I was sure he wouldn't race! But he showed good pace from the first practice session. I can't imagine he's 100 per cent but at least we know we can be competitive in the next F3 Euroseries round at the Nürburgring next weekend - that's important." [6]

Vettel became BMW Sauber's third driver at the 2006 Turkish Grand Prix, when former incumbent Robert Kubica was called up to replace Jacques Villeneuve for the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix.

Vettel impressed on his testing debut by setting fastest time in second Friday Free Practice before the race.[7] The young German also impressed on his second testing session in the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, setting the fastest time in both Friday practice sessions, a race weekend in which all the BMW cars were quick, with his predecessor Robert Kubica finishing on the podium in the race"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Vettel

So, really, claiming that Di Resta beat him to the F3 Euroseries title isn't such a big deal, since Di Resta was solely focused on a racing series three steps lower than Vettel for a good part of the season.

aryan
24th April 2009, 05:36
So, really, claiming that Di Resta beat him to the F3 Euroseries title isn't such a big deal, since Di Resta was solely focused on a racing series three steps lower than Vettel for a good part of the season.

To me it's not a question of whether Vettel is better than di Resta or not.

The point is, if you look at Vettel's career and what he had achieved prior to F1 and where he is now, and then also look at di Resta's career and what he has achieved, it is very clear that he belongs to F1.

If he ever does get here, then we'll argue over who's better than who.

Ranger
24th April 2009, 05:46
To me it's not a question of whether Vettel is better than di Resta or not.

The point is, if you look at Vettel's career and what he had achieved prior to F1 and where he is now, and then also look at di Resta's career and what he has achieved, it is very clear that he belongs to F1.

If he ever does get here, then we'll argue over who's better than who.

Pretty much what I was going to say. :up:

woody2goody
30th April 2009, 03:41
Just had a look at STR's season results, and actually they aren't that one-sided in favour of Buemi:

Buemi: 7th, 16th (Ret), 8th, 17th

Bourdais: 8th, 10th, 11th, 13th

Seems it's a much closer fight than many have said...