PDA

View Full Version : No more Extreme Wet tires!

Oli_M
25th March 2009, 19:35
OK I may have made the title slightly misleading..... but I was reading through this years updated sporting regulations HERE (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A762F2CB92BD70E2C125757D00366308/$FILE/1-2009_F1_SPORTING_REGULATIONS_Showing%20Alterations _17-03-2009.pdf)

And I noticed the non dry tires are now OFFICIALLY called "Intermediate" and "Wet". That's right, the tires will now actually be called what everyone called them anyway!

(In case you didn't know, the 'intermediate' tire used to officially be called 'Wet' and the 'wet' tire was officially called the 'extreme wet' tire - however since most people - tv commentators, teams, drivers, fans, called them wets & inters, it could get a bit confusing!)

Hurrah, a ever so slight sign that the FIA might be listening to other people??

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2009, 08:32
That's right, the tires will now actually be called what everyone called them anyway!

:laugh: Good to know they're acting decisively on the important stuff :p :

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2009, 16:47
and the best and most logical rule change of 2009 is:

TYRE NAME CHANGES!

AndyL
26th March 2009, 18:36

Doesn't sound very likely :) probably instigated by Bridgestone!

Easy Drifter
26th March 2009, 21:13
Actually it was in response to Goodyear's request in 1975. The Bridgestone request will be dealt with in 2525.

wedge
26th March 2009, 23:12
Just goes to show how tyres have developed over the years.

The inters seem to have a better operating window - as Hamilton showed last year!

IIRC believe the Extreme Wets are based on the Monsoon compound/tread pattern which Goodyear worked on about 10 years ago.

Somebody
27th March 2009, 17:06
What happened was that we had "intermediates" and "wets" a few years back. Then the FIA mandated that there be only one typre of wet tyre - and the tyre manufacturers based it on the inters. THEN, almost immediately, there was a fiasco of a race where the "wets" simply weren't enough, and the FIA was forced to backtrack and allow a class of "extreme wets", and everyone immediately reverted to calling them "inters" and "wets"...