PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable opening race of a season?

jens
24th March 2009, 20:27
Considering the height of excitement and uncertainty before the new season, let's remind history for a moment - which previous opening races of an F1 season have offered most surprises and excitement to you, when you have been following F1?

From my memory I'd say the beginnings from 2003-2005 were in a way quite special and remarkable.

2003 because after the year of 2002 people feared another Ferrari domination, which F1 couldn't survive for a second year in a row. After qualifying those thoughts were only strengthened (clear Ferrari 1-2), but race offered a totally new scenario... At that time it was thought that this Ferrari misfortune was a one-off, but the whole season proved to be close...

2004 preseason was quite similar to current's. A lot of teams seemed quite competitive in winter and among major forces only McLaren seemed to be struggling. But in Oz it was stunning and surprising to suddenly see Ferrari rising above competition and wipe the floor with everyone else. After a difficult 2003 it was quite a relief for me. :p : Wonder if this time someone will totally dominate too and destroy the hopes of a close season? :p :

In 2005 already the opening race saw the emergence of a new major force in F1, who was going to fight for the titles and finally win their first title too (Renault). Those "new forces" are expected to be seen in 2009 too! And of course Red Bull's pace in Australia from the same year. It could be admitted that it was an absolutely unbelievable performance for me - more than any other surprise at the beginning of an F1 season. Will we see something literally incredible in 09 too?

F1boat
24th March 2009, 20:37
For me 2003, without a doubt :)

ChrisS
24th March 2009, 20:47
Ralf Schumacher's and Rubens Barrichello's collision resulting in Ralf flying into the air and half the field retiring made a memorable opening race in 2002

cynisca
24th March 2009, 20:49
It's difficult but I would say it was the Australian GP in 1999. After the two world title contenders Michael Schumacher and Mika Häkkinen were did not finished the race and Eddie Irvine won it.

In 2001 was a sad season opener because one track marshal died after the Villeneuve/R Schumacher crash.

In 2002 the horrible crash of Rubens Barrichello and Ralf Schumacher at the start in the first corner.

In 2006 the opener was the Bahrain GP the first time since 1995 which wasn't Australia the host.

In 2007 the beginning of a new world class driver. Lewis Hamilton! :p

Sonic
24th March 2009, 21:02
1994 was a great first GP. Senna/Shumi rivalry, and I seem to remember a monster shunt between Joss the Boss, swervin Irvine and Brundle.

Rodriguez 917
24th March 2009, 21:10
I liked 97. Everyone thought Villenueve was going to walk it and he crashed at the first corner. DC went on to win McLaren's first win since 93. We also saw that Frentzen wasn't quite the big star everyone thought he was going to be althogh to be fair his brake disc did explode!

98 was good too as it was the first race that we saw things had swung and Williams weren't the dominant team and McLaren were rapid!

BDunnell
24th March 2009, 21:15
1989 — Mansell's unexpected victory first time out for Ferrari, and Herbert's courageous drive to fourth.

THE_LIBERATOR
24th March 2009, 22:23
1996 with an upside down Martin Brundle, when he climbed out of the car & ran back up the pitlane it was heroic. The battle for lead between Hill & Villeneuve was pretty goo too until Jacques developed a problem after running off the track.

christophulus
24th March 2009, 22:29
1996 with an upside down Martin Brundle, when he climbed out of the car & ran back up the pitlane it was heroic. The battle for lead between Hill & Villeneuve was pretty goo too until Jacques developed a problem after running off the track.

1996 for me too, partly because it was the first race I ever remember watching all the way through.

Nikki Katz
24th March 2009, 22:52
2002 for me, mostly due to half the field being wiped out on the first lap, Minardi scoring points, as well as Toyota on their debut.

2001 I guess also, but only for that accident, so all the wrong reasons really. I remember very little else from that race apart from the press conference at the end.

SGWilko
24th March 2009, 23:14
1989 — Mansell's unexpected victory first time out for Ferrari, and Herbert's courageous drive to fourth.

Ooooooohhhhhhhh, you read my mind. All through winter testing the busword was 'fast but utterly unreliable' for the 641.

That was a good race. Every other race that season, bar Hungary of course, was a case of 'thrown another alternator belt.......'

BDunnell
24th March 2009, 23:37
Ooooooohhhhhhhh, you read my mind. All through winter testing the busword was 'fast but utterly unreliable' for the 641.

There's that story about Mansell having been booked onto a flight home before the scheduled end of the GP, so sure was he that the car would fail. I've never quite believed it, personally.

ioan
25th March 2009, 00:42
There's that story about Mansell having been booked onto a flight home before the scheduled end of the GP, so sure was he that the car would fail. I've never quite believed it, personally.

Given how long it takes to get to the airport and than onto a plane he needed to leave the circuit after the Warm-up session, so the story clearly doesn't hold. ;)

Ranger
25th March 2009, 07:31
1999, 2002, 2003 and 2008 were the best recent season openers.

millencolin
25th March 2009, 07:52
2002, for Mark Webber's amazing debut

ShiftingGears
25th March 2009, 07:54
Stirling Moss' 1961 Monaco victory is right up there.

Valve Bounce
25th March 2009, 08:25
This year will be memorable in that we have no idea who will be fast and who won't. Rule changes, new paraphernalia and the new Brawnsen is going to make this an unknown quantity from teh start of practice. We may find out by Friday evening if things have really changed - right now we don't know and that is the mystery.

Mark
25th March 2009, 08:59
1996 for me too. Villeneuve's amazing debut and the race long battle between him and Damon Hill with JV eventually losing the race due to going off at turn 1 and ripping an oil line.

ArrowsFA1
25th March 2009, 09:48
The 1983 Brazilian GP sticks out for me, perhaps because there were regulation changes then too which made a dramatic difference to the look of the cars, particularly the stunning new Brabham BT52 which won with Nelson Piquet.

There was controversy as well. Rosberg was disqualified from 2nd for getting a push start after jumping out of his car when there was a fire during his pit stop.

ozrevhead
25th March 2009, 10:36
2002, for Mark Webber's amazing debut
yes :D that was great

1996 When Mika was on the podium - first race after his awful crash

I know that this was the end of the season but the last race in Adelaide :( (blasted victorians!)

25th March 2009, 10:39
The 1983 Brazilian GP sticks out for me, perhaps because there were regulation changes then too which made a dramatic difference to the look of the cars, particularly the stunning new Brabham BT52 which won with Nelson Piquet.

There was controversy as well. Rosberg was disqualified from 2nd for getting a push start after jumping out of his car when there was a fire during his pit stop.

I'd go for that....but I think that 84 was just as good....although the South African GP in 1982 wins it.

A stunning comeback drive from Prost from a lap down, the debut of the BMW turbos, the return of Niki Lauda....

....not to mention that industrial dispute.