PDA

View Full Version : Driver numbers tweaked; minor rule changes for 2009

Dave B
24th March 2009, 09:16
A couple of little changes which may have slipped under the radar among all this talk about the points system and budget caps:

Changes to driver numbers at Ferrari, Toro Rosso and Brawn GP: (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9043.html)

The FIA have issued a revised entry list for the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship, with driver number changes at three teams.

At Ferrari, Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen swap numbers, with Massa now taking number 3 in line with his higher position in the 2008 drivers’ championship.

Similarly at Toro Rosso, Sebastien Bourdais’s senior status means he will now take number 11, with rookie team mate Sebastien Buemi numbered 12. Both Ferrari and Toro Rosso requested the changes.

The FIA have also recognised the Brawn GP Formula One Team’s status as a new constructor, dropping them to the base of the entry list with Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello now numbered 20 and 21 respectively.

Minor changes to rules: (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A762F2CB92BD70E2C125757D00366308/$FILE/1-2009_F1_SPORTING_REGULATIONS_Showing%20Alterations _17-03-2009.pdf) (PDF)

Pit lane speed limit raised to 100kph

Drivers will be able to pit under the safety car without penalty, but must activate a reduced speed mode on the ECU

Mandatory media interviews from all participants, so no more storming off in a huff if you retire.

Mark
24th March 2009, 10:32
Numbers have become meaningless now anyway. Teams should keep the same numbers from year to year unless they have the champion driver in which case they get 1 and 2, and the numbers they had would remain unallocated so if they don't have the champion the following year they go back to their previous numbers.

jwhite9185
24th March 2009, 12:15
I think that was the plan a few years ago, until Sauber got in strop because they finished 4th the previous year and wanted to use 7 & 8 instead of 11 & 12 or whatever numbers they were using at the time.

V12
24th March 2009, 17:17
I think that numbers should be made bigger, im sure some series such as the IRL and various touring car/sportscar series mandate size and positioning for numbers and I don't understand why F1 doesn't do so as well. If you leave it up to the teams they'll just cram in as many sponsors logos in those places as they can. Good to see McLaren sticking some numbers on the endplates like back in the day though.

I also agree with what Mark said about using the old 1974-1995 numbering system.

I think that was the plan a few years ago, until Sauber got in strop because they finished 4th the previous year and wanted to use 7 & 8 instead of 11 & 12 or whatever numbers they were using at the time.

....and then promptly went on to make that 7 and 8 as tiny as they possibly could!

LeonBrooke
25th March 2009, 00:37
I think that numbers should be made bigger, im sure some series such as the IRL and various touring car/sportscar series mandate size and positioning for numbers and I don't understand why F1 doesn't do so as well. If you leave it up to the teams they'll just cram in as many sponsors logos in those places as they can. Good to see McLaren sticking some numbers on the endplates like back in the day though.

I also agree with what Mark said about using the old 1974-1995 numbering system.

....and then promptly went on to make that 7 and 8 as tiny as they possibly could!
Yes, I saw a picture of Fernando Alonso in testing before the '06 season, with a caption that said, "he worked so hard last year to get the number 1 on his car, so why did they make it so small?"

Yeah, it'd be good for teams, cars and drivers to become synonmyous with their race numbers like in other series and like it used to be. But it gets very confusing with all the changing...

Hawkmoon
25th March 2009, 08:59
The teams had fixed numbers up until 1996 when the FIA decided to number them in WCC order. Say goodbye to Ferrari's 27 and 28. :(

The FIA then had one of its regular brain farts and decided that the teams would keep their numbers from 2001 for 2002 and onwards. Sauber rightly had a whinge because they finished 4th in 2001 and were due to get 7 & 8 for 2002. Instead the FIA was going to make them keep the 15 & 16 they had used in 2001.

The FIA backed down and Sauber got their numbers and the system remained unchanged and is still used today. I think it's a crappy system but since the numbers are totally illegible in anything other than a close up photo I guess it doesn't really matter.

Still, it would have been nice to see Schumacher end his career with No. 27 on the nose of his car.

AndyL
25th March 2009, 18:03
Yeah, it'd be good for teams, cars and drivers to become synonmyous with their race numbers like in other series and like it used to be. But it gets very confusing with all the changing...

I'm surprised F1 and other high profile car series haven't done this, purely for financial reasons. In bike racing the rider's number is an intrinsic part of their "brand" and a lot of the merchandise features it, there's money to be made from it there. Well, actually perhaps not so surprising in F1 since the interests of the teams and drivers don't seem high on the FIA's priority list.

emporer_k
25th March 2009, 18:33
There was nothing wrong with the old numbering system.

Also I'd like numbers to be clearly visible on the cars too.

ioan
25th March 2009, 19:20
I'm surprised F1 and other high profile car series haven't done this, purely for financial reasons. In bike racing the rider's number is an intrinsic part of their "brand" and a lot of the merchandise features it, there's money to be made from it there. Well, actually perhaps not so surprising in F1 since the interests of the teams and drivers don't seem high on the FIA's priority list.

And the only person who may have financial interests in F1 is Bernie so the others should forget any kind of things that would help them make more money!

Dave B
26th March 2009, 07:39
Ah yes, but there's even more money to be made if fans have to buy new gear every season to reflect the changing numbers of their driver or team.

christophulus
26th March 2009, 08:26
No, wait, Force India are back with 20 & 21 seems how they've already printed out the merchandise. Brawn have 22/23 so no one has 18/19

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/03/26/force-india-and-brawn-gp-change-numbers/

Huh?

LeonBrooke
26th March 2009, 09:53
No, wait, Force India are back with 20 & 21 seems how they've already printed out the merchandise. Brawn have 22/23 so no one has 18/19

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/03/26/force-india-and-brawn-gp-change-numbers/

Huh?

What a farce...

Ah yes, but there's even more money to be made if fans have to buy new gear every season to reflect the changing numbers of their driver or team.

I still proudly wear my 2002 BMW-Williams cap with Montoya, number 6 and a big Worldcom logo on the back...

Dave B
26th March 2009, 09:57
I still proudly wear my 2002 BMW-Williams cap with Montoya, number 6 and a big Worldcom logo on the back...
That's ok, I've still got a couple of Damon Hill caps somewhere thanks to Cellnet handing them out like sweeties when I used to work in mobile phones :p

Knock-on
26th March 2009, 10:09
I think a driver has the choice of numbers according to finishing positions of the top driver in a team.

jso1985
26th March 2009, 21:56
The teams had fixed numbers up until 1996 when the FIA decided to number them in WCC order. Say goodbye to Ferrari's 27 and 28. :(

That were actually Williams numbers until Jones won the WDC...