PDA

View Full Version : BBC Online Coverage

Powered by Cosworth
24th March 2009, 07:59
Two things about the BBC online coverage -

Can anybody find the online schedual for watching practices? I can only find radio and TV.

And a bonus, possibly a trend before every race, old extended highlights of past races!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/03/classic_australian_gp_the_winn.html

'94 and '86 race highlights at 50 and 40 minutes each.

Great stuff BBC!

ArrowsFA1
24th March 2009, 08:23
Can anybody find the online schedual for watching practices? I can only find radio and TV.
This is all I can find:

MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA All times GMT

Friday 27 March
Practice (Times TBC): 0125-0305, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
0525-0705, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Saturday 28th March
Practice: 0255-0405, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
Qualifying: 0500-0715, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
Re-run: 1300-1415, BBC One

Sunday 29th March All times BST
Race: 0600-0900, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
Interactive Forum: 0900-1000, BBC Red Button/online
Race re-run: 1300-1500, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm

Mark
24th March 2009, 08:25
Not sure what the 'online' entails? A feed of Radio 5 maybe?

Dave B
24th March 2009, 08:30
Bookmark this page:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/5345480.stm

By the way, in the rolling loop there are now full highlights of the 1994 and 1986 GPs, and online there are short clips of a further three races.

Already more archive footage than some broadcasters managed in 12 years! :D

Edit: I'm watching now on the Red Button and it's a straight replay of the TV programme from the time, complete with The Chain on the opening credits, Steve Rider presenting and Walker and Hunt commentating. I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Mark
24th March 2009, 08:33
By the way, in the rolling loop there are now full highlights of the 1994 and 1986 GPs, and online there are short clips of a further three races.

Is that gettable from iPlayer? Wouldn't mind watching a Grand Prix on the train tomorrow :cool:

Powered by Cosworth
24th March 2009, 08:45
Bookmark this page:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/5345480.stm

Edit: I'm watching now on the Red Button and it's a straight replay of the TV programme from the time, complete with The Chain on the opening credits, Steve Rider presenting and Walker and Hunt commentating. I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Thanks alot for that, and it's on the TV red button loop too, great stuff!

Dave B
24th March 2009, 08:47
Is that gettable from iPlayer? Wouldn't mind watching a Grand Prix on the train tomorrow :cool:
Don't think so, but the videos are embedded in Andrew Benson's blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/03/classic_australian_gp_the_winn.html) if you can get that on a mobile. I've just chucked a blank DVD in and got very lucky that the replays were just starting on Sky.

"AND OFF SPINS PIQUET!". Some things never change... :p

Mark
24th March 2009, 11:00
So are they being shown on normal TV so I could Sky+ them?

Dave B
24th March 2009, 11:14
Just on the interactive service; there's no way of recording them save for an external device.

Mark
24th March 2009, 11:17
Just on the interactive service; there's no way of recording them save for an external device.

Ah, so can I watch them on my Sky box then?

AndyL
24th March 2009, 11:17

I don't have Sky+ but I imagine if I did this would be extremely frustrating. I don't know why the BBC don't just have a couple of extra channel numbers for this sort of thing (up in the 900's alongside the regional variations of BBC1 and BBC2). It wouldn't take up any extra bandwidth and they could still give access via the red button on BBC1/2 as well if they wanted to.

stevie_gerrard
24th March 2009, 14:02
Delighted with the BBC Online coverage so far, lets hope this is a marker for a great season of f1.

Shall watch the races when i am home from work, but from what i've seen, it looks very good.

ATF
24th March 2009, 21:52
I don't know why the BBC don't just have a couple of extra channel numbers for this sort of thing (up in the 900's alongside the regional variations of BBC1 and BBC2).

They do have this on Freeview (ch 301/302) so you can set these to record on any HDD/DVD/VHS etc... might be worth investing in a cheap Freeview box for this (if you're not staying up to watch FP1/2)!!

SGWilko
24th March 2009, 22:32
Two things about the BBC online coverage -

And a bonus, possibly a trend before every race, old extended highlights of past races!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/03/classic_australian_gp_the_winn.html

'94 and '86 race highlights at 50 and 40 minutes each.

Great stuff BBC!

Oh I say old bean, how nice to hear the stiff upper lipped commentry of good old James 'what what' Hunt!!

Dash darn fine chap......

Mark
25th March 2009, 08:40
Just been watching Australia '94 on the ole red button. That Schumacher :mad:

Dave B
25th March 2009, 08:59
Just been watching Australia '94 on the ole red button. That Schumacher :mad:
He was quite the little scamp, wasn't he? :p

Don't forget to vote (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/03/classic_australian_gp_the_winn.html) for Malaysia, by the way.

Mark
25th March 2009, 09:07
So they are going to do this before every race?

Interesting then that for Malaysia it will all be ITV coverage! I assume they must have paid ITV for that somehow, or they will be using something bought from FOCA and adding their own commentators, otherwise we'd have James Allen on the BBC!

wedge
25th March 2009, 13:17
So they are going to do this before every race?

Interesting then that for Malaysia it will all be ITV coverage! I assume they must have paid ITV for that somehow, or they will be using something bought from FOCA and adding their own commentators, otherwise we'd have James Allen on the BBC!

Radio commentary most likely, just like what they did the 2007 Australian GP highlights.

Daniel
25th March 2009, 14:24
So are they being shown on normal TV so I could Sky+ them?

SKy+ n00b :p

Bezza
25th March 2009, 17:32
Brilliant stuff from the BBC. Just shows what we've been missing since 1996.

I was up till 12.30am last night watching all the old races on red button!

Great that this is going to continue all season, some classics on the way, although Malaysia doesn't really apply.

Tazio
25th March 2009, 18:52
This is all I can find:

MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA All times GMT

Friday 27 March
Practice (Times TBC): 0125-0305, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
0525-0705, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Saturday 28th March
Practice: 0255-0405, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
Qualifying: 0500-0715, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
Re-run: 1300-1415, BBC One

Sunday 29th March All times BST
Race: 0600-0900, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
Interactive Forum: 0900-1000, BBC Red Button/online
Race re-run: 1300-1500, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm
Speed TV has always shown afternoon Fri. Practice only. ITV showed both morning, and afternoon.
According to this info BBC will only be showing afternoon as well!
Any other insight?
Thanks Bros!

Mark
26th March 2009, 10:26
Brilliant stuff from the BBC. Just shows what we've been missing since 1996.

I was up till 12.30am last night watching all the old races on red button!

Great that this is going to continue all season, some classics on the way, although Malaysia doesn't really apply.

Yep, really shows that BBC are taking F1 seriously this time around :up:

I saw highlights of Australia 2007 too and they are indeed using the radio commentary over the world feed coverage, and it works really well.

I also liked the fact that when they showed the 1986 and 1994 highlights they showed the entire programme, complete with intro from Steve Ryder etc. If ITV were doing it they would try to jazz it up and put a modern intro etc on it, but BBC have done it right, and well done to them!

I did notice that the 'red button' feed on freeview channel 301 is different from the feed on the red button on Sky/Freesat.

Dave B
26th March 2009, 12:12
May I just say, "****ing ****ing **** **** **** **** **** ****ing **** **** *****cks".

My 2nd Sky box has just died - and given me a rather fruity electric shock as a parting shot when I went to disconnect it. Ouch. I'll be spending a rather unproductive lunchtime running cables to rig up a Freeview box for the onboard coverage :\

BDunnell
26th March 2009, 12:17
I also liked the fact that when they showed the 1986 and 1994 highlights they showed the entire programme, complete with intro from Steve Ryder etc. If ITV were doing it they would try to jazz it up and put a modern intro etc on it, but BBC have done it right, and well done to them!

I agree completely. The BBC has always been far better than ITV when it comes to the use of archive material in sports coverage, largely because it has a glorious history in this respect and ITV doesn't - and never will have.

Mark
26th March 2009, 12:45
May I just say, "****ing ****ing **** **** **** **** **** ****ing **** **** *****cks".

My 2nd Sky box has just died - and given me a rather fruity electric shock as a parting shot when I went to disconnect it. Ouch. I'll be spending a rather unproductive lunchtime running cables to rig up a Freeview box for the onboard coverage :\

Oh dear! Will freeview even have all the feeds? What about a freesat box?

Dave B
26th March 2009, 13:25
I should still be able to get the onboard, albeit part of a mosaic. It's only for one race, I can pick up a 2nd hand bog-standard Sky box for peanuts.

wedge
26th March 2009, 13:55
I agree completely. The BBC has always been far better than ITV when it comes to the use of archive material in sports coverage, largely because it has a glorious history in this respect and ITV doesn't - and never will have.

ITV4 show old Division 1 games and boxing.

acorn
26th March 2009, 18:07
According to this info BBC will only be showing afternoon as well!
Any other insight?
Thanks Bros!

"Having already moved the start of the race to 5pm, practices and qualifying will all now start later in the day in a further bid to capture greater television audiences in Europe."

all f1 activity is in the afternoon oz time:

2009 Australian Grand Prix Timetable (local times, GMT+11)

Practice 1 Mar 27, 12:30 - 14:00
Practice 2 Mar 27, 16:30 - 18:00
Practice 3 Mar 28, 14:00 - 15:00
Qualifying Mar 28, 17:00 - 18:00
Race Mar 29, 17:00 start

acorn
26th March 2009, 18:10
I did notice that the 'red button' feed on freeview channel 301 is different from the feed on the red button on Sky/Freesat.

somewhere( i think it was on the bbc teletext)it does say that the friday practices are not available on FREEVIEW red button.

Dave B
26th March 2009, 18:12
They should appear on 302 on Freeview. :)

Edit: I'll let you know in 7 hours!

Dave B
27th March 2009, 11:28
It was (and will be) on Freeview 302.

On Satellite - and presumably cable - right now there's not only a full reply of FP1 and FP2, but also a "features" screen which includes sombre footage of Mark Webber visiting the sight of the recent fires. Powerful stuff.