PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Members???

Easy Drifter
23rd March 2009, 03:51
Has anyone but me noticed that membership in the Forum has grown by several thousand in the just last few weeks? Also that most of these new members handles just seem to be a jumble of letters?
Not that it matters but it is a little strange and none of them seem to be posting.

markabilly
23rd March 2009, 04:07
Has anyone but me noticed that membership in the Forum has grown by several thousand in the just last few weeks? Also that most of these new members handles just seem to be a jumble of letters?
Not that it matters but it is a little strange and none of them seem to be posting.

maybe not if you are selling ads....a few years ago, some major papers got in all sorts of issues claiming their numbers were higher than they were as they were trying to sell ads....not sure what the laws are on internet stuff

OTOH, it may be hackers and advertizers trying to hack their way on board so as to sabtaoge or do pop ups....or even phish through virsuses and so forth

Or it could be they are counting all those banned like Tamb, just not taking them off the list

but I think the real reason is the CIA is watching those crazies up north who grow other crops in with their corn........

pino
23rd March 2009, 05:26

Most of them are spammers and are deleted as soon I get here ;)

Easy Drifter
23rd March 2009, 05:42
Pino: You are going to be busy. They have been coming in every minute or so and there are a few thousand I think! :eek:

pino
23rd March 2009, 06:20
Pino: You are going to be busy. They have been coming in every minute or so and there are a few thousand I think! :eek:

I've done this for months now, so I am used to it :p : :s Seriously it only take few minutes to do that ;)

Mark
23rd March 2009, 08:28
maybe not if you are selling ads....a few years ago, some major papers got in all sorts of issues claiming their numbers were higher than they were as they were trying to sell ads....not sure what the laws are on internet stuff

Our advertising is sold on the basis of people clicking on the links, the number of members doesn't have any bearing on that.

OTOH, it may be hackers and advertizers trying to hack their way on board so as to sabtaoge or do pop ups....or even phish through virsuses and so forth

It's spammers, for the most part. We get a massive number of them. Pino is the one that has to deal with it every day, sorry Pino! But I think we're talking about 100 spam bot resgistrations for every one real member.

but I think the real reason is the CIA is watching those crazies up north who grow other crops in with their corn........

Have you been eating some of that corn too? :p

pino
23rd March 2009, 09:30
But I think we're talking about 100 spam bot resgistrations for every one real member.

You're right, unfortunatelly !

markabilly
23rd March 2009, 10:26
Have you been eating some of that corn too? :p
Weren't eating corn :s mokin:

Dave B
23rd March 2009, 11:41
Is there no way of ramping up security? Clearly everybody in the world hates CAPTCHA with a passion, but would it help?

Mark
23rd March 2009, 11:45
We already use it!

cynisca
23rd March 2009, 17:11

I will posting very often. I know I don't have introduce myself. Anyway I love motorsports, especially the Formula One. But I'm interested in every kind of sports. :s mokin:Also in football. :p :

Easy Drifter
23rd March 2009, 18:39
I and others are not questioning legit members like yourself. It is the dozens who are 'joining' with no info, except to say 'man' in biography and not posting. They are 'joining' every 2 or 3 minutes.
Welcome aboard by the way.
You will find myself, Markabilly and couple of others a little demented at times. But we usually don't bite, at least not hard. :D

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2009, 23:34
I have shots for the bites I get around here...lol

Mark
24th March 2009, 08:22
It is the dozens who are 'joining' with no info, except to say 'man' in biography

It's a bit of a giveaway, that one ;)

janneppi
24th March 2009, 08:36
It's a bit of a giveaway, that one ;)
Indeed, you'd think the botmaker would even try to localize the regitrator to specific forums instead of just hitting his head against the wall. :D

pino
24th March 2009, 08:51
I can spot them by looking at their IP address, so no need to read their biography anymore ;) Anyway It's getting better and better, this morning 1 "real" member out of 80 spammers only :up: :p :

cynisca
24th March 2009, 17:00
I don't know if I should be afraid about them or not?! I don't know what will come from these members but I am a little bit scared about them. :p I hope they won't post a lot of spam.

Or they push the stats of that forum higher to set it on Google on the top. :p