PDA

View Full Version : Oops!!

Tazio
20th March 2009, 14:24
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/03/20/navy.vessels.collide/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

A U.S. Navy submarine collided with a Navy amphibious ship Friday in the Strait of Hormuz,
mildly injuring 15 sailors, according to the commander of the U.S. Fifth Fleet.

The submarine, the USS Hartford, collided with the USS New Orleans about 1 a.m. in the strait,
which runs between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula. It is one of the busiest commercial routes for oil tankers.

Fifteen aboard the Hartford were injured but returned to duty, according to a news release.

Both vessels are operating on their own power.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 18:14
Oops indeed. I suspect there is two naval careers that just came to an end. The Hartford I would imagine is in the wrong. It is isn't like being able to avoid being detected isn't part of the MO for a sub skipper....

Sonic
20th March 2009, 19:33
Deja Vu, didn't much the same thing happen to a British and a French sub mid-atlantic last month? Or am I living in a alternative universe?

Easy Drifter
20th March 2009, 23:49
Similar Sonic. A little different though. 2 submerged subs from different countries that didn't know the other was there as opposed to a sub and a surface ship in the same navy that should have known about each other.