PDA

View Full Version : GPS Navigation Systems

Valve Bounce
20th March 2009, 01:48
This subject hasn't been discussed for quite awhile so I thought I'd resurrect it.

I have noticed that prices here in Oz range from less than $300 to more than $700 depending on make and model.

So! what model is the best value?

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 05:20
Well....I am assuming the units are the same with a different database but most of my buddies in trucking who have Garmin Nuvi's swear by them. I made a mistake and bought a system that was cheaper but isn't had an update made available for it as it was supposed to be. Since I use one of these gizmos DAILY for a living, I am miffed. Get a Nuvi......

Valve Bounce
20th March 2009, 08:55
Thanks for the info!

ChrisS
20th March 2009, 13:13
get a GPS enabled windows mobile smartphone,

Just like Windows for the PC you can find lots of apps, gps maps etc for it and you dont necessarily have to get them from the software developer ;)

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 16:54
Another option is a GPS antenna and software for your laptop. That too is a good way to have a GPS like ability to navigate if you are able to swing it. A lot of truckers have laptops set up for GPS use and the big screen makes navigation a little easier. I personally think it is better to just have a separate GPS receiver that can go in whatever vehicle easily but there are tons of options out there and more seem to be coming all the time with new features. I still stand by the Nuvi tho. The ability to punch in waypoints and try out different routes is a godsend for those of us in commericial rigs who have to pare miles vs time considerations.

Valve Bounce
20th March 2009, 20:48
Sorry guys!! I'm just interested in an ordinary GPS which I can see while driving along; not a minuscule mobile phone nor a huge laptop which will result in running away from the car after it smashes a side window. :eek:
In fact, in Oz, we are warned to ensure there are no suction cap marks on the windscreen after you remove the GPS and put it in the glove box. These marks are a dead giveaway that you have a GPS and often results in a smashed side window by a thief.

That leads me to think: I wonder if there are any inexpensive GPS for sale in Cash Converters (the pawn shop chain).

Daniel
20th March 2009, 22:18
Sorry guys!! I'm just interested in an ordinary GPS which I can see while driving along; not a minuscule mobile phone nor a huge laptop which will result in running away from the car after it smashes a side window. :eek:
In fact, in Oz, we are warned to ensure there are no suction cap marks on the windscreen after you remove the GPS and put it in the glove box. These marks are a dead giveaway that you have a GPS and often results in a smashed side window by a thief.

That leads me to think: I wonder if there are any inexpensive GPS for sale in Cash Converters (the pawn shop chain).
Why do you need a GPS in Australia?

AJP
20th March 2009, 22:28
Why do you need a GPS in Australia?

just like you would need it anywhere else!

AJP
20th March 2009, 22:30
Valve..
Tom Tom is a good one..I have this and very rarely does it lead me down the wrong path.
About 280 from Dick Smiths will get you one.
very simple to use with speed camera and red light camera warning.

Valve Bounce
20th March 2009, 23:05
Valve..
Tom Tom is a good one..I have this and very rarely does it lead me down the wrong path.
About 280 from Dick Smiths will get you one.
very simple to use with speed camera and red light camera warning.

There you have answered Daniel's question. I picked up a hire car in Brisbane, drove less than 5 minutes and was pinged for speeding going past the Gray St Bridge doing 55 kph. At that particular location heading onto Coronation Drive, 55 kph does seem very, very slow for the conditions, and the cops know that - that's why they set up a speed trap there.

But I suppose I really don't have much of a reason to buy a GPS. But I am still entitled to one birthday present which I have happily been looking for during the past 3 weeks and enjoying the thought of all the things I can consider. :)

AJP
20th March 2009, 23:16
Happy Belated Birthday Valve.. :)

airshifter
20th March 2009, 23:48
There you have answered Daniel's question. I picked up a hire car in Brisbane, drove less than 5 minutes and was pinged for speeding going past the Gray St Bridge doing 55 kph. At that particular location heading onto Coronation Drive, 55 kph does seem very, very slow for the conditions, and the cops know that - that's why they set up a speed trap there.

But I suppose I really don't have much of a reason to buy a GPS. But I am still entitled to one birthday present which I have happily been looking for during the past 3 weeks and enjoying the thought of all the things I can consider. :)

You can find web sites with POIs and speed warnings for just about any unit now, and almost all the units navigate well.

I got the wife a Garmin Streetpilot a couple years back. Simple navigation with voice and a few options, but it works great. These days you can use an almost bottom of the line unit and they still navigate well. Many of them have a lot of extras most people don't want or need.

Not sure on other brands but updates are easy to get for the Garmin units. I like picking up the CD just in case something happens, so we have it on hand.

GridGirl
23rd March 2009, 19:55
For road use I use a TomTom system as its so simple to use. I also have a RoadAngel 7000 which as a satnav is just plain crazy in what it tells you to do so I rarely use it for anything other than to use memory map when out hiking.

I bought the other half a Garmin Oregon GPS for Christmas which is great for hiking, cycling and geocaching but doesn't do road navigation. :)

Daniel
23rd March 2009, 20:17
just like you would need it anywhere else!

It's just that the roads in Australia are a lot less complex than in say the UK for instance. Perhaps it's different in the eastern states but in WA all of the speed cameras are mobile so a GPS based warning system is not all that much use.