PDA

View Full Version : British International Motor Show

themo
19th March 2009, 21:48
Organisers have cancelled the 2010 British International Motor Show because of the car industry downturn.The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said it was the first time the event has been called off since the Second World War.First held in 1903, the event had only recently moved back to London after a stint at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 19:08
Even Detroit went on bravely with their show. You will never sell cars and get things happening if you don't try. Bad message to send to the public IMO

Sonic
20th March 2009, 20:07
Just an excuse. The British motorshow has been in serious decline for years. I doubt they'll bring it back once all this chaos dies down.

Cooper_S
21st March 2009, 00:04
The BIMS is only a bi-annual event anyway... it fails to attract major manufacturers (BMW, VW etc)... and has little in the way of concepts or world debuts...

I do not think it will really be missed... or at least noticed.

millencolin
21st March 2009, 09:09
Its happeneing everywhere... The annual motor show in my home city, Brisbane, has been canned. I think the same has happened in Melbourne and possibly Sydney as well.

Motor Shows are a very costly exercise

wedge
21st March 2009, 12:34
Even Detroit went on bravely with their show. You will never sell cars and get things happening if you don't try. Bad message to send to the public IMO

US carmakers had to show a united front this year.

Detroit is still regarded as one of the blue riband events along with Geneva, Paris and Tokyo.

Britain has been decline for years. Recently it has been nothing special but a launchpad for Fords and Vauxhalls and the concepts get left behind on the continent for the bigger shows.

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2009, 19:29
US carmakers had to show a united front this year.

Detroit is still regarded as one of the blue riband events along with Geneva, Paris and Tokyo.

Britain has been decline for years. Recently it has been nothing special but a launchpad for Fords and Vauxhalls and the concepts get left behind on the continent for the bigger shows.

Detroit used to be actually pretty lame about 20 years ago. I remember going expecting something wonderful and not getting it. The Toronto show was better at that time and Toronto was never a place the manufacturers would show off their latest ideas. Then about 15 years ago the organizers in Detroit decided to encourage and really put the welcome mat out for the whole industry.

A buddy of mine said Detroit looked like things were bad but the Big 3 were not draping the cars in black and just dumping them on the carpet. They had the displays and were putting on a brave face. Toronto this year...well they put the cars on the floor and said "there you go...look at em.."