PDA

View Full Version : Major quake strikes off Tonga

Tazio
19th March 2009, 21:44
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/19/tonga.quake/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

7.7 is massive amplitude. Any more updates on damage?

Sonic
19th March 2009, 21:49
No Tsunami thankfully

themo
19th March 2009, 21:51
A tsunami alert issued after a major 7.9 magnitude earthquake struck off the Tonga islands region has been cancelled.The quake occured about 130 miles southeast of Nuku'alofa, Tonga, the US National Weather Service's Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said.

A tsunami warning was issued for Tonga, Niue, Kermadec Islands, American Samoa and Fiji.

"Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated," the centre said in a bulletin.

"It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicentre.

"When no major waves are observed for two hours after the estimated time of arrival or damaging waves have not occurred for at least two hours then local authorities can assume the threat is passed," it said.
This is the latest from sky news.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 05:50
A quake that powerful must have done some damage on the islands...even if the tsunami didn't.

Roamy
20th March 2009, 06:08
BFD its not like they have any skyscrapers..

Tazio
20th March 2009, 06:21
A tsunami alert issued after a major 7.9 magnitude It was downgraded to a 7.7.
I don't want to split hairs here but since the richter scale is a an exponential progression.
A 7.9 would be to the best of my calculations about 2.15 times as powerful as a 7.7 JFYI ;)

I think this is the interesting part of the story:
The earthquake struck a few hours after a volcano erupted off Tongatapu, Tonga, about 200 km away.
Ken Hudnut, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena, California, said: "The association with the volcanic activity seems to be an interesting added dimension to this.
It's not clear at this point that there is a direct association, but it seems suggestive at this point
Holy Krakatoa east of Java

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 19:06
BFD its not like they have any skyscrapers..

It is your love of humanity we all care about.....

Ya ever think they want their drinks stirred not shaken?

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 19:07
It was downgraded to a 7.7.
I don't want to split hairs here but since the richter scale is a an exponential progression.
A 7.9 would be to the best of my calculations about 2.15 times as powerful as a 7.7 JFYI ;)

I think this is the interesting part of the story:
The earthquake struck a few hours after a volcano erupted off Tongatapu, Tonga, about 200 km away.
Ken Hudnut, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena, California, said: "The association with the volcanic activity seems to be an interesting added dimension to this.
It's not clear at this point that there is a direct association, but it seems suggestive at this point
Holy Krakatoa east of Java

This volcano tho is erupting and emitting something is it not? Krakatoa just rumbled without spitting out anything until the pressure became too great and it blew. Mount St. Helens did much the same. Sort of like a giant zit....

Tazio
20th March 2009, 19:30
This volcano tho is erupting and emitting something is it not? Krakatoa just rumbled without spitting out anything until the pressure became too great and it blew. Mount St. Helens did much the same. Sort of like a giant zit....Dude it was a joke :confused:
You are really special!

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 20:09
Tazio...to many the Volcano near the quake might not be a joke....