PDA

View Full Version : Its sacrilege!

Sonic
19th March 2009, 21:24
Thanks to my 3 year old son I have been recently re-introduced to my childhood friend - Thomas the Tank engine, and I've been enjoying re-living my youth with Michael Angelis liverpool accent so similar to the voice of Ringo Starr I could close my eyes and be 5 again.

But I've just sat through an hour of Pierce blooming Brosnan as the new voice of Thomas. I mean seriously - he doesn't even put on different voices for the different characters!

Ok pointless complaint over. :)

GridGirl
19th March 2009, 21:31
Thomas the Tank I can live with. A weeks holiday with my 2 year old neice a couple of weeks ago and having a stream of Pingu dvd's was painful! When we swapped to Pepper Pig I regained some sanity! :p

But back to Thomas the Tank, I'm sure I read somewhere that they changed the name of the Fat Controller due to political correctnes. :(

Sonic
19th March 2009, 21:32
Thomas the Tank I can live with. A weeks holiday with my 2 year old neice a couple of weeks ago and having a stream of Pingu dvd's was painful! When we swapped to Pepper Pig I regained some sanity! :p

Loving the Daddy pig! He is ME!

Alexamateo
20th March 2009, 02:00
But back to Thomas the Tank, I'm sure I read somewhere that they changed the name of the Fat Controller due to political correctnes. :(

My three year old boy loves everything Thomas the train. We didn't have it here in the US when I was a kid. I've never heard the name "Fat Controller", here they always call him "Sir Topham Hat"

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 05:18
I like the trainsets...not sure on the show...my buddy's kid watches it and is entralled...I would rather have a pnuematic drill through my head...

Mark
20th March 2009, 10:02
Back in the day you'd have one episode then have to go on with your life. Not any more. About 10 years ago when my neighbours kid was young he'd have a video box set and watch them one after another.. all day :|

turves
20th March 2009, 11:30
Bring back Ivor the Engine...

inimitablestoo
20th March 2009, 18:57
It was a bit weird on the most recent series when they started making the mouths move :eek: The people can move now too, rather than being stuck in fixed positions. Very strange.

If you want something to really complain about though, it's the theme tune. Bring back the original!

Sonic
20th March 2009, 19:31
It was a bit weird on the most recent series when they started making the mouths move :eek: The people can move now too, rather than being stuck in fixed positions. Very strange.

If you want something to really complain about though, it's the theme tune. Bring back the original!

Fact! But they've messed with all the kids themes. The only one thats the same is Postman Pat - and even he flies a helicopter now!

stevie_gerrard
24th March 2009, 13:24
Yeh, i hate the revamped cartoon shows :( Postman Pat, Thomas the tank, Fireman Sam (which used to be my favourite). They just aren't the same as they used to be, and not as good anymore :( Bring Back the old versions, theres a task for JLC any day :)

emporer_k
24th March 2009, 18:26
If / when I have kids they are going to be watching thomas the tank engine wether they like it or not.

GridGirl
25th March 2009, 08:23
Fact! But they've messed with all the kids themes. The only one thats the same is Postman Pat - and even he flies a helicopter now!

Postman Pat has a helicopter? Who on earth has thier mail delivered by helicopter especially in the Yorkshire Dales? Poor old kids will be warped for life!

I got bought a Button Moon Tshirt for Christmas and its amazing how many random people come up to me when I'm wearing it and start talking about 80's kids tv shows. :s

Sonic
25th March 2009, 14:49
Ah now theres a show. Everybody sing. *We're off to button moon......*

inimitablestoo
25th March 2009, 20:50
Ah, Button Moon. Always looked possible to reach that moon just by building a large tower or something. And I'm sure no Spoon limb ever touched the button in the rocket or whatever it was they had (I could do with watching a bit again...)

As for Postman Pat, I think he got the helicopter when he set up his own private delivery firm after the Greendale Post Office became the latest victim of rural post office closures.

While we're on a nostalgia trip, why don't all modern computers look like Chock-A-Block? I'd buy one! :p :

Rollo
25th March 2009, 23:03
I can't believe how utterly vacuous Dora the Explorer is. She spends a great deal of time after asking the kids in TV land to help her find some bollocksy item, just starting glibly into the screen.

Azumanga Davo
26th March 2009, 00:01

I blame privatisation, personally.

Said Diesel... :D

Alexamateo
26th March 2009, 01:11
I can't believe how utterly vacuous Dora the Explorer is. She spends a great deal of time after asking the kids in TV land to help her find some bollocksy item, just starting glibly into the screen.

Yes, but remember the target audience, the very young of young kids, a lot like Blue's Clues It's very effective for those under 5.