PDA

View Full Version : Top Sports people...Should they reduce there fees

AJP
18th March 2009, 23:34
I for one am pretty appalled that the top sports people are still charging appearence fees..

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=788079

Some 2.2 Million Australian dollars to be paid by the tax payers of Victoria just so Tiger can come to play..

They earn enough from sponsorship and prize money to feed a rather large nation. So, do you think they should get appearance fees..?

I think not..

millencolin
19th March 2009, 08:41
Definately!

What Tiger brings is a lot more than just a good golf game. He also brings perfect marketing for an event. In sport, there is no name bigger than Tiger Woods. He is a marketers dream, people will now go to the masters not to see golf, but to see the man. Sponsors will be lining up to support the event, not so they can be associated with Australian golf, but to be associated with Tiger.

Tiger Woods knows what he can bring to an event. He knows that there are lots of golf tournaments that would be lining up to sign him up to play, from countries all over the place. Australian Masters seem to pay his asking price, in return they will reap the rewards of having the name 'Tiger Woods' at the event.

AJP
19th March 2009, 08:49
Your right about him being a marketers dream...there is no question of that.

But unfortunately, the Victorian Tax payers do not get a cent back from this event into there pockets. And it certainly does not make there lives any better, apart from the ones who will pay to see him play on top of paying the taxes that will come from there pockets.

I think every industry out there needs to stop with the extravegance, and get real.

If sponsors are so keen on getting woods here, they can bloody pay for it. Not the tax payers..

Dave B
19th March 2009, 08:58
Any professional - whether a sportsperson, musician or solicitor - will charge for their services what the market will bear.

If demand decreases due to people not paying for those services then and only then might they reduce their rates.

In the example above, Tiger's not the bad guy. His rate is clearly set out, and if an organisation is prepared to pay then that's their lookout. Perhaps the state feels that the revenue generated by the interest in this tournament will outweigh the costs: people might book hotels in the area to come and watch him, or the tourist industry might get a longer-term boost as TV coverage highlights the region.

Tazio
19th March 2009, 09:02
I for one am pretty appalled that the top sports people are still charging appearence fees..

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=788079

Some 2.2 Million Australian dollars to be paid by the tax payers of Victoria just so Tiger can come to play..

They earn enough from sponsorship and prize money to feed a rather large nation. So, do you think they should get appearance fees..?

I think not..I'd love to say yes to find out who really wants to participate for their passion for the game. Players and fans, but in the age of 8 to 25year olds spending more time playing video games and participating in fantasy leagues, than getting outside and actually playing some sports (no wii is not what I had in mind) How can you imagine it will ever happen. I noticed during the (American) football playoffs and up to the super bowl a sort of public service advertisement with Payton Manning among others, pushing something called "Play 60". In a nut shell it was suggesting that young people play, actually move around away from computers and TV's for 60 minutes a day. Outdoors :eek:
You couldn't keep my “BOYZ” inside for 60 minutes a day given the alternative to play as opposed to working around the house or doing homework!

BTW anyone who uses the term “back in the day” or “old school” has no idea how it was! :(

Mark
19th March 2009, 11:09
No, if they are able to command those fees then so be it, and good luck to them. Nobody is forced to pay to have Tiger Woods appear.

millencolin
19th March 2009, 12:35
Your right about him being a marketers dream...there is no question of that.

But unfortunately, the Victorian Tax payers do not get a cent back from this event into there pockets. And it certainly does not make there lives any better, apart from the ones who will pay to see him play on top of paying the taxes that will come from there pockets.

Yeah, but the victorian taxpayer get nothing back from the appearance of some of the biggest sport stars that come to their shores every year... Nothing from Kimi Raikkonen, Lewis Hamilton, Mark Webber, Casey Stoner, Roger Federer *cough*Darren Lockyer *cough*

the victorian taxpayers should be stoked they have the oppotunity to see such amazing sport stars within their smallish state! No other city can have the sporting lineup Melbourne has. now you have State of Origin, im thinking about coming to melbourne for the first time in nearly a decade! Thats the power of sports tourism, thats why they have bought the services of Tiger Woods

emporer_k
19th March 2009, 16:23
Appearence fees are only equal to what people are willing and able to pay.

I don't think many people (from any walk of life) would ask to be paid less when there is somebody that will pay them the top rate.

Hazell B
19th March 2009, 16:45
Any professional - whether a sportsperson, musician or solicitor - will charge for their services what the market will bear.

Exactly.
Don't blame the dog who bites, blame the hand that offers itself covered in liver pate.

In showjumping about twenty years ago, a major German rider asked a specific show to pay his fares (horses are expensive to move about) so he could go to the show and boost TV ratings. They said yes, so long as they could keep any prize money he won, which he refused.
He's never ridden here since.

Sadly not all sports have been that sensible, so payments have ended up being made for everything some 'stars' do. They don't even have to ask now.

AJP
19th March 2009, 23:37

If demand decreases due to people not paying for those services then and only then might they reduce their rates.

In the example above, Tiger's not the bad guy. His rate is clearly set out, and if an organisation is prepared to pay then that's their lookout. Perhaps the state feels that the revenue generated by the interest in this tournament will outweigh the costs: people might book hotels in the area to come and watch him, or the tourist industry might get a longer-term boost as TV coverage highlights the region.

Dave, half of his appearance fee is being paid by tax payers. 2.2 odd million dollars
Not matter how much revenue is raised due to him being in Australia, it aint going back into the tax payers pocket.

AJP
19th March 2009, 23:40
Yeah, but the victorian taxpayer get nothing back from the appearance of some of the biggest sport stars that come to their shores every year... Nothing from Kimi Raikkonen, Lewis Hamilton, Mark Webber, Casey Stoner, Roger Federer *cough*Darren Lockyer *cough*

the victorian taxpayers should be stoked they have the oppotunity to see such amazing sport stars within their smallish state! No other city can have the sporting lineup Melbourne has. now you have State of Origin, im thinking about coming to melbourne for the first time in nearly a decade! Thats the power of sports tourism, thats why they have bought the services of Tiger Woods

Again, the people who want to see him play, me included, will actually go to the event and watch him live. Pay there money that way. I feel the Victorian Govt has no right making the average tax payer pay for an appearance fee..

AJP
19th March 2009, 23:41
Appearence fees are only equal to what people are willing and able to pay.

I don't think many people (from any walk of life) would ask to be paid less when there is somebody that will pay them the top rate.

If they want an appearance fee to play a tournament, then fine.
Just don't make the tax payers pay for it. The event organisers can sort that out.

Alexamateo
20th March 2009, 01:39
Again, the people who want to see him play, me included, will actually go to the event and watch him live. Pay there money that way. I feel the Victorian Govt has no right making the average tax payer pay for an appearance fee..

As stated earlier, Tiger is charging what the market will bear, if you disagree with the government paying the fee, you'll have to take that up with them at the next election.

I think an athlete who is making money with his body so to speak, needs "to make hay while the sun shines". Tiger missed a good chunk of last year with a knee injury, what if it had been career-ending? It would have seriously cut future earnings. I don't begrudge anyone making money. If the organizers are paying him an appearance fee, they must feel they are getting some sort of return, or they wouldn't do it. If he asks too much, they won't hire him.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 05:25
IT is funny, a sports star makes millions and everyone criticizes him that for playing a "kids" game, yet movie stars make millions and no one even thinks twice about it.

The issue here of course though is the State of Victoria helping pay to get Tiger there. Is it worth it for the taxpayer? Directly no...indirectly you bet. Golf Channel in North America will be covering the event likely if Tiger is there. Can you say "commercial for the state"? You know the State will be able to buy time on Golf Channel to promote itself as will the Australian tourist board. If Tiger isn't there, no one in America will care about the Australian Masters.

Face it, sports is an advertising vehicle and this will be how the State of Victoria will likely justify it. That said, if I am a taxpayer there I am probably not happy about it. It is our lot in life to be sheep to be fleeced by politicians isn't it?

AJP
20th March 2009, 22:37
Tiger missed a good chunk of last year with a knee injury, what if it had been career-ending? It would have seriously cut future earnings. I don't begrudge anyone making money. If the organizers are paying him an appearance fee, they must feel they are getting some sort of return, or they wouldn't do it. If he asks too much, they won't hire him.He has earnt enough to keep him going for a few life times..he would be just fine if he had a career ending injury.

The organisers are only paying half the fee The tax payers are footing the rest of the bill..not on in my books. The organisers can pay the lot.

AJP
20th March 2009, 22:43
IT is funny, a sports star makes millions and everyone criticizes him that for playing a "kids" game, yet movie stars make millions and no one even thinks twice about it.I'm not criticising him for making money at all. It's the way he is getting paid and who it is paying him. And I will certainly whinge about the movie stars, because if they did not make as much money as they did, there would be more money in the budget to pay the crew. Which we need quite frankly. It's very difficult working in an industry where you earn such little money making one person look good. But most industries are like this and best talked about in another thread.

The issue here of course though is the State of Victoria helping pay to get Tiger there. Is it worth it for the taxpayer? Directly no...indirectly you bet. Golf Channel in North America will be covering the event likely if Tiger is there. Can you say "commercial for the state"? You know the State will be able to buy time on Golf Channel to promote itself as will the Australian tourist board. If Tiger isn't there, no one in America will care about the Australian Masters.

Face it, sports is an advertising vehicle and this will be how the State of Victoria will likely justify it. That said, if I am a taxpayer there I am probably not happy about it. It is our lot in life to be sheep to be fleeced by politicians isn't it? I agree with what your saying. He will generate money for the Victorian people, but...the golf club and the people sponsoring this event will make enough to pay for him. Tax payers money need to put to better things than this. Sorry. Especially 2.25 Million Dollars. Put it towards the Bush Fire victims.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 23:41
I'm not criticising him for making money at all. It's the way he is getting paid and who it is paying him. And I will certainly whinge about the movie stars, because if they did not make as much money as they did, there would be more money in the budget to pay the crew. Which we need quite frankly. It's very difficult working in an industry where you earn such little money making one person look good. But most industries are like this and best talked about in another thread..

No one watches a movie to wonder how well the audio guy did his job ( my best mate is one and he has never figured out that if he does his job right I will just not notice, I will only notice when he screws up )or how well lit the stars are. If you don't like what you make in the movie/tv/media business, then go try another form of work. You will find no one is getting rich at the wrong end of the food chain. I drive a big rig for a living. I know my boss is making a damn sight more than I and he screws up more often and he see's his family EVERY night. I don't. People pay 14 bucks or whatever to watch a movie in a theatre and they go because they like the stars and the story. No one has gone to a movie save for those few who work in the business to read the credits at the end.

I agree with what your saying. He will generate money for the Victorian people, but...the golf club and the people sponsoring this event will make enough to pay for him. Tax payers money need to put to better things than this. Sorry. Especially 2.25 Million Dollars. Put it towards the Bush Fire victims.

I wont disagree with you but if you think the gov't of Victoria cant do both, you haven't been watching modern governments and how they tax and generate their money. It looks bad and THAT is the point I wont quibble with, but as a business decision, it makes sense.