PDA

View Full Version : Who WILL you support in 2009?

Alfa Fan
18th March 2009, 23:03
Simple really, who are you going to be supporting in the 2009 season, and why?

Alan Morrison - Because he's a great driver whose been out for far too long.
Gordon Shedden - Flying the flag for Scotland and is a real talent IMO
Dan Eaves - So good to have him back in the series, hope he does well!
Jonathan Adam - Finally, finally, finally made the BTCC, about 5 years late
Paul O'Neill & Martyn Bell - Couldn't think of a nicer pair to lineup for Techspeed
Jason Hughes & John George - The series needs commited privateers like these.

Micholly
19th March 2009, 00:56
Normally, i'd support an underdog, or someone who had been very nice, signed loads of stuff for me at Knockhill.

However, i shall be supporting Gio. I recently bought my first car, and as vauxhall are the only manufacturers left, i bought a vauxhall corsa. And Gio was a great guy when i met him at Autosport international, he signed my hat and told me about the time he tested a Ferrari F1 car.

I also hope Harry Vaulkhard does well. He and Alan Taylor were a right laugh at Knockhill, drawing moustaches on each other's pictures and the like.

AndySpeed
19th March 2009, 01:12
Simple really, who are you going to be supporting in the 2009 season, and why?

I'm either missing something or you are being opaque... Alan Morrison?

I'll be supporting Andy Jordan and Harry Vaulkhard for the most part - hoping to see the Lacetti go well this year.

Edit: And of course Paul o'Neill and Team Sunshine!!

Alfa Fan
19th March 2009, 01:23
I'm either missing something or you are being opaque... Alan Morrison?

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3246

MG2004
19th March 2009, 10:06
That'll be brilliant news if Alan Morrison does get confirmed :)

I'll be supporting
Airwaves BMWs (Motorbase) - Long term fan of Rob Collard in BTCC and Jonathan Adam in Seats, so a no brainer really!

Also supporting Adam Jones and Dan Eaves in the CWCZR Seat Leons. Two very strong and likeable drivers. If the new team can give them reliable cars I think they could be a serious force and Adam already has a year with the Leon so they are not starting from scratch.

I hope that Alan Morrison and Mat Jackson can return to the BTCC at some point this year. If they do then I'll be supporting them too. I really thought Mat Jackson was going to win the drivers title this year - 7th in his first year and 2nd in his second year in a one car independent team was a hell of an achievement. I hope his talent doesn't go to waste.

Chris2k6
19th March 2009, 10:07
Wooo my first post, but been following the forum for a while now

I'm still clinging to the hope that TOC will get a seat somewhere, looking doubtful though
i will mainly be supporting the BMW's, don't really have a reason apart from that the teams who run them are amongst my favourite teams

VX_Rules
19th March 2009, 16:12
Well obviously the Vx's Including the ol Astra Coupe :P

Paul O'Neil is one I'd like to see surprise, and even though I hate the fact he's driving An Asbo, I want to see Chilton do well, he really deserves and the team definately deserve some results from their hardwork, Just so long they don't overtake any Vauxhalls at any point :P

Oh and TOC!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU?! :(

Eurotech
19th March 2009, 16:31
MY TWO FAVOURITE TEAMS JUST CAME TOGETHER! Eurotech & VXR, yay!

I'll probably also support O'Neill, Bell, George, Hughes & Johnson...

mattie007
19th March 2009, 16:39
Jason Hughes in the MG as Ive always supported them since the 2001 season.

Rob Collard in the BMW, great guy and with a good year behind him, should prove strong this season. Big fan since his WSR days.

Colin Turkington, again because of his MG connections in the Atomic Kitten ZS. A good, clean racer thats got a good chance this season.

Martin Johnson, cant say Ive heard of the chap, but good on the team for bringing the Coupe back!

Alan Morrison, if he returns, will get my support aswell!

Allyc85
19th March 2009, 18:28
Being a Ford man il be supporting Arena but ive always thought of Turkington as a great driver and always hope for him to do well.

VkmSpouge
19th March 2009, 19:04
I'll be supporting Colin Turkington for the title and generally any backmarkers.

stevevxr
19th March 2009, 19:50
888 VXR & the Astra coupe for me... but i've got a soft spot for the chevy team aswell....

reidy_fan
19th March 2009, 20:39
Jonathan Adam, goes without saying been following him since 04, long overdue
Gordon Shedden, he's an alright bloke, his wife is a better driver though and a babe lol
Andy jordan, part of the next generation

as usual will be keeping a close eye on the supports in particular the porkers with 6 jocks and knockhill regulars racing should be good

Jon411
19th March 2009, 21:11
WSR for me - been a fan of them every since they showed up with the MGs and Reidy really and I really rate Turks as a driver - he's come on great with WSR.

Hughes - because of the MG, and I like to see it when the smaller teams get into the points.

I also like to see Motorbase doing well, after the 2007 those guys had, they deserve it when they do well.

If we see Dahlgren out for a round in the Volvo later in the year then I'll support him as well as I like watching the STCC and it will be interesting to see how he does.

Odie Stracs
20th March 2009, 11:19
Baked Potato if he grabs that last minute Chevy ride, otherwise Turkington

thompp
20th March 2009, 15:10
In my case it would be simpler to list who I wasnt supporting - with no works SEAT team this year, that's nobody.

tisme
20th March 2009, 16:37
What is this Alfa Fan???

You have always in the past trashed any news from that web-site, unless it has been on BTCC.net before hand?

DevilsAdvocate
20th March 2009, 16:44
Hi all..new here!

I'll want to see Team AON do well (Ford fanboy). There is no team I don't like in the BTCC though, so I will cheer for them all no doubt.

:D

Northern Monkey
20th March 2009, 19:36
Is funny to see a lot of people keen to support a driver who isn't even confirmed in a seat yet.

Alfa Fan
20th March 2009, 21:26
What is this Alfa Fan???

You have always in the past trashed any news from that web-site, unless it has been on BTCC.net before hand?

I just hoped it was true tbh. I will support him if he races.

tdb
20th March 2009, 21:35
I just hoped it was true tbh. I will support him if he races.

What? your "sources" not working for you this year? that's 3 times now!
You must be losing your touch! ;)

Les
21st March 2009, 08:12
Is funny to see a lot of people keen to support a driver who isn't even confirmed in a seat yet.

I hope any prospective sponsors are reading this and thinking he might be a good bet.

sunshine
22nd March 2009, 08:06
I will be supporting Colin Turkington as I have done since 2002 when I went to me first BTCC race. To a lesser extent I will also be supporting Jonathan Adam. There are not many drivers that I do not like this year though (well there is 2 but I will not name them here) so hope it is a good years racing for all

Dave Clark
27th March 2009, 12:43
For me got to be Jason Hughes and the KWR Sport crew!

Also huge supporter of Colin and WSR mainly because of the MG connection but also think that they are among the most professional and friendly teams in the sport!

I hope Colin gets the title and that Hughesy finishes in the points regularly which I think he has a good shot at!

AndySpeed
27th March 2009, 12:52
I hope Colin gets the title and that Hughesy finishes in the points regularly which I think he has a good shot at!

This got me thinking. If a car that is so old in the BTCC is capable of scoring points finishes regularly, then surely it doesn't say much about the technical innovation of the BTCC? I know that the regs have been adapted to help out, but looking at it on the face of it as some fans may do. The Team KWR crew have done a lot of good work on the ZS so that will clearly make a difference, but there's only so much you can do with a chassis.

Just a thought. Are there any other 'top level' championships where a car from 2003 is still competing?

Matty
28th March 2009, 23:39
Well with no Jackson this year, I'll be getting behind Gordon Shedden, its about time he had some good luck and gets the Civic winning races like it should be doing.

Also will root for Harry Vaulkhard in the Chevy, great chap at Donington last year in the pit lane walkabout, even got him to sign my program "that'll be the Daewoo" haha.

BDunnell
29th March 2009, 12:43
This got me thinking. If a car that is so old in the BTCC is capable of scoring points finishes regularly, then surely it doesn't say much about the technical innovation of the BTCC? I know that the regs have been adapted to help out, but looking at it on the face of it as some fans may do. The Team KWR crew have done a lot of good work on the ZS so that will clearly make a difference, but there's only so much you can do with a chassis.

Just a thought. Are there any other 'top level' championships where a car from 2003 is still competing?

I would tend to agree with this, though the lack of availability of truly competitive S2000 cars (not an old Toledo, therefore) that are affordable enough for privateers to buy at the moment can't be blamed on the BTCC. Neither, though, would I worry unduly as I can't see any of the BTC-spec cars getting that high in the points on a regular basis without a great deal of attrition.

mattie007
29th March 2009, 13:48
Or is it down to the fact that as the cars are limited to engine size/bhp, then they cant really progress any furthur? Maybe they have to concentrate more on handling to make up time?
Thats something the ZS has always had, a great chassis.

BDunnell
29th March 2009, 14:17
Or is it down to the fact that as the cars are limited to engine size/bhp, then they cant really progress any furthur? Maybe they have to concentrate more on handling to make up time?
Thats something the ZS has always had, a great chassis.

Well, part of the rationale behind the way both the BTC Touring and S2000 rules were formulated was that those rules should be quite restrictive and not permit major developments outside the main parameters, thus keeping the racing close. But even then there is a limit, and I simply don't think we'll see the old BTC-spec cars challenging the front-runners this year. O'Neill probably has the best chance of doing so because he's the best driver in one, in my view.

Eurotech
29th March 2009, 22:19
I hope O'Neill isn't too race rusty he has been out of FWD for a while but then again the Silverstone race in 06 was immense.

I'm glad that there are still BTC-Spec cars on the grid because they sound better in my opinion and I like the massive wings on the back of them.

tisme
29th March 2009, 23:09
O'Neill probably has the best chance of doing so because he's the best driver in one, in my view.

He's not going to able to do much if he is only doing a handful of races..

tdb
29th March 2009, 23:37
I think there should be a line drawn under the BTC spec era.
BTCC, as all the others are, should be an S2000 spec championship.
Yes we would be minus 5 cars this year, or would we?
with BTC spec cars still eligibe, they remain a viable option and the price stays higher.
would those that REALLY want to be in the BTCC not buy an S2000 car if they had to?

tdb
29th March 2009, 23:38

I heard he's working in spain for the next 3 weeks.
will he be at brands?

AndySpeed
30th March 2009, 00:26

Care to share?

VkmSpouge
30th March 2009, 19:26
One driver I usually support is Jason Hughes, I just hope the Doctor gives him the all clear.

Alfa Fan
2nd April 2009, 17:20
What? your "sources" not working for you this year? that's 3 times now!
You must be losing your touch! ;)

Wahey....Alan Morrison!! Front page news on btcc.net

Captain VXR
2nd April 2009, 17:46
read my signature

Les
2nd April 2009, 22:02
counting up who I care about and it's near enough half the field. I am going to enjoy myself :)

Mamnes
2nd April 2009, 23:02
Good old Johnny boy (Johnny Adam).
He is a great contender and it's been overdue :P
Shedden, cause he's a Scottish boy and has the experience.