PDA

View Full Version : Brawn entry fee waived

DazzlaF1
17th March 2009, 22:02
This from the meeting today i found interesting, they've decided to waive the $48million entry fee for Brawn.

From the WMSC statement

The Honda Racing F1 Team requested to change its name to the Brawn GP Formula One Team. The WMSC accepted this request on the basis that the team is, in effect, a new entry in the FIA Formula One World Championship. The contract the team had with the FIA was to run as 'Honda', which they are no longer in a position to do. However, the standard fee required for a new entry has been waived.

ChrisS
17th March 2009, 22:34
Odd that they even mentioned it, its not a new entry, its a name change,

The fact that the entry fee is waived is the reason almost every new entry in F1 in recent time (except Toyota) bought an existing team and renamed it

71minus2
18th March 2009, 00:16
honda were officially entered which suggests they paid the fee.

veeten
18th March 2009, 01:36
Odd that they even mentioned it, its not a new entry, its a name change,

The fact that the entry fee is waived is the reason almost every new entry in F1 in recent time (except Toyota) bought an existing team and renamed it
and that was one of the main reasons that you didn't see any new teams, outside of Toyota, just retreads of past ones.

Starting a new team, from scratch, is in itself a very expensive proposition. Adding fees on top of that was a sure-fire way to make a small grid a permanent fixture, and with the credit/financial crisis it became an ever-tightening noose that has already made one manufacturer disappear, and others start considering if it's worth all the money.

This was part of what FIA, FOM, and FOTA had in mind with reducing the costs to start or maintain a team. Brawn GP this year, USGPE next year, and others that will come forth in due time. It's the times we are living in that necessitated this, and it's only the begining...

Roamy
18th March 2009, 05:41
who gives a crap brawn is here and f! needs him

wmcot
18th March 2009, 07:20
They're not going to charge an entry fee each time a name changes - Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India would be bankrupt by now!

AJP
18th March 2009, 07:34
$48 million is a completely ridiculous amount of money charged to enter a sport.

In the spirit of racing and competition, this fee should be abolished.
F1 needs interest from new parties right now..
Cut the crap Bernie..keep things real and make it a little more affordable for people to come in and try and race for goodness sake..

Mark
18th March 2009, 08:53
$48 million is a completely ridiculous amount of money charged to enter a sport.

Well, I believe it isn't actually a charge as such. It's a bond which is repayed over a number of years.

It was introduced after Lola's entry into F1 which was a complete disaster an embarrasment for all concerned. It was put in place to make sure potential F1 entrants are serious and not just in it for quick publicity then off again.

However, in the economic situation we are in, and the current size of the F1 grid I believe it should be dropped, and indeed instead incentives brought in to encourage new teams / manufacturers to join, perhaps they would be allowed to use more engines per season in their first two years, for example.

Somebody
18th March 2009, 18:58
They're not going to charge an entry fee each time a name changes - Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India would be bankrupt by now!

Thing is though, they entered for each season under their new name. Brawn entered as "Honda" for 2009, the team list has been fixed, and this is technically an in-season renaming.

18th March 2009, 19:51
Whats the surprise? Force India didn't have to pay, nor did Toro Rosso, nor did Honda, nor did Red Bull, nor did Jaguar, nor did BAR.

DazzlaF1
18th March 2009, 23:51
Well, I believe it isn't actually a charge as such. It's a bond which is repayed over a number of years.

It was introduced after Lola's entry into F1 which was a complete disaster an embarrasment for all concerned. It was put in place to make sure potential F1 entrants are serious and not just in it for quick publicity then off again.

However, in the economic situation we are in, and the current size of the F1 grid I believe it should be dropped, and indeed instead incentives brought in to encourage new teams / manufacturers to join, perhaps they would be allowed to use more engines per season in their first two years, for example.

That would be a good incentive, another idea i like is to use the system used by the Aussie V8 Supercars, and that is to do away with the entry fee and introduce a franchise system. Offer 12 team slots to prospective bidders and give them all incentives like travel benefits for example but only in return for fulfilling their participation in the sport and to eventually perform competitively against the rest of the teams over a 3 year period when the franchises would be renewed, and if you dont fulfill the 3 year span, you'd get a hefty fine or court action for breach of contract.

Sounds daft but wot do you think?

AJP
19th March 2009, 00:07
That would be a good incentive, another idea i like is to use the system used by the Aussie V8 Supercars, and that is to do away with the entry fee and introduce a franchise system. Offer 12 team slots to prospective bidders and give them all incentives like travel benefits for example but only in return for fulfilling their participation in the sport and to eventually perform competitively against the rest of the teams over a 3 year period when the franchises would be renewed, and if you dont fulfill the 3 year span, you'd get a hefty fine or court action for breach of contract.

Not daft at all..

The V8's are one of the most successful race series in the world.

I think it is a great idea..

CNR
14th April 2009, 23:36
http://www.fia.com/oldautomotive/issue4/sport/article2.html

World Council Approves Sporting Regs
this is from 2006

New rules are aimed at creating an exciting Formula One championship eligible to more teams and sponsors. New sporting regulations for the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship designed to reduce costs, increase competition and improve safety were ratified by the FIA World Motor Sport Council at its quarterly meeting on March 22, 2006.

On the financial side, the US$48 million entry bond has been scrapped in an effort to make the sport more eligible to new teams.

V12
15th April 2009, 00:08

The current system...IS a "franchise" system, and it stinks to high heaven*.

We actually need to do the opposite and abolish any idea of teams being franchises which can be bought and sold, and rather embrace an open entry list like it was in the good old days**. I say that if you want to enter and can bring a team with cars that meet all the appropriate regulations, then all the power to ya, none of this 12-team-limit franchise b0ll0cks.

If we throw ourselves into this franchising stuff, the next step is centralised driver contracts, driver rotation, more standardisation, and the notion that the teams are merely "departments of a business" (to use a Mosley-ism) rather than competitors in their own right. That is dangerous thinking. VERY dangerous.

*I'm an atheist, but still...
**Not being nostalgic...it WAS actually better in this particular area in the past.