PDA

View Full Version : wiper arm on car..can it be fixed??

steve_spackman
17th March 2009, 03:00
is it easy to fix wiper arm on car?? what would be the cause for it to not function??

Daniel
17th March 2009, 07:39
is it easy to fix wiper arm on car?? what would be the cause for it to not function??
Usually the motor, though on an older car you could have a linkage or mounting that's rusted through.

Easy Drifter
17th March 2009, 14:39
One wiper or both or is it a rear window wiper?
Often the grooves that the wiper arm fits on are stripped, either on the arm (hopefully) or on the drive shaft. If the former a new arm is all that is required. Take the arm off and turn the wiper on. See if the shaft is rotating. If it is one or the other of the above is the problem.
If it is not rotating Daniel is likely correct although it could also be a blown fuse.

tannat
17th March 2009, 15:26
Blown fuse?

Easy Drifter
17th March 2009, 18:01
Electric motors powers the wipers. If it was a fuse there would also be other items not working. I was thinking of a single rear window wiper for that senario and possibly Steve has not yet found some other things not working.
In reality it is most likely stripped splines.

steve_spackman
17th March 2009, 21:23
its the front right wiper thats not working..when i go to turn them on only the left wiper works..

everything else seems to be in good working order. Are they expensive to fix?

Daniel
17th March 2009, 21:35
its the front right wiper thats not working..when i go to turn them on only the left wiper works..

everything else seems to be in good working order. Are they expensive to fix?
I'd bet it's the linkage then :) I had the same problem on my 504 and it was the linkage which had rusted through :mark:

Easy Drifter
17th March 2009, 21:51
As I said pull the wiper arm off and see if the splined shaft turns. If it does then just a new arm is needed.

Easy Drifter
21st March 2009, 01:18
Steve: Don't keep us in suspense. Have you figured out the problem yet?

Easy Drifter
11th April 2009, 00:47
Hey Steve, now that you have resurfaced did you get your wiper figured out?
You ask for help, get suggestions and never tell us the result.

markabilly
11th April 2009, 02:29
[quote="steve_spackman"]is it easy to fix wiper arm on car??quote]
No just buy a new car aka Esay style....see "Jokes"

Magnus
15th April 2009, 07:57
steve_packman! I would suggest that you do not fix the wiper arm, because if it can not move, you will have problems driving when it is raining.
Just my five cents.