PDA

View Full Version : Hot Wheels to introduce an IRL line

Rex Monaco
12th March 2009, 23:45
This is from the Hotwheels collector website:

http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/news/news.aspx?news_id=822

HabsFan1988: Can you tell us what other lines we can expect besides the mainline for next year?

HWC Bryan: We will have Hot Wheels Garage, the very cool Drag Strip Demons, Deliveries and the IRL line.

HabsFan1988: IRL… what does that stand for?

HWC Bryan: Indy Racing League.

HabsFan1988: Okay, cool. Didn't realize they were doing a line for that. A Danica car perhaps?

HWC Bryan: Apparently it is stealthy. I don't know which drivers they have gotten to comment.

This is a good idea. And one that should be complimented.

But this exchange also points out some of the problems the IRL faces.
1.) Fan's who are focused on car's as a hobby do not know what the IRL is.
2.) Like it or not, Danica is currently the face of the IRL.
3.) They create this product, but keep it stealth instead of announcing it.

I'll get one though, and display it under to my Alex Zanardi autographed CART Hot Wheels. It just won't be Danica's! LOL

Mark in Oshawa
13th March 2009, 02:49
Rex...you just pointed out the IRL's greatest failings. Danica is the biggest star, despite the fact she isn't the champion and has won ONE race. The IRL didn't promote this at all......and no one is quite sure what the IRL is. Funny, I don't remember these issues when CART was mismanaging OW racing in 1994.

SportscarBruce
13th March 2009, 07:51
Danica is the sport's greatest strength, marketing wise.
However, and pay attention here;

The fans who badmouth this sport at every opportunity are its greatest failing.

Wade91
13th March 2009, 08:21
awesome :D

Rex Monaco
13th March 2009, 13:25

We get it. And you must never question the glorious leader of North Korea either.

SarahFan
13th March 2009, 15:14
Danica is the sport's greatest strength, marketing wise.
However, and pay attention here;

IMO speed and compitition trump Danica....

is it badmouthing to point out that those charged with the growth of the sport don't understand that?

garyshell
13th March 2009, 16:33

We get it. And you must never question the glorious leader of North Korea either.

is it badmouthing to point out that those charged with the growth of the sport don't understand that?

Rex and Ken, read what he said again. Notice the words "at EVERY opportunity"? Do either of you understand what the word "EVERY" means? It in no way precludes questioning decisions or discussing failures. I think it rather telling that both of you immediately jumped to this as if it were directed at you. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't throw EITHER of you into the category of "fans who badmouth this sport at every opportunity". But it would appear from your reactions that you do.

Gary

SarahFan
13th March 2009, 17:00
Rex and Ken, read what he said again. Notice the words "at EVERY opportunity"? Do either of you understand what the word "EVERY" means? It in no way precludes questioning decisions or discussing failures. I think it rather telling that both of you immediately jumped to this as if it were directed at you. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't throw EITHER of you into the category of "fans who badmouth this sport at every opportunity". But it would appear from your reactions that you do.

Gary

c

can't///won't speak for Rex......

But I think your reading a bit much onto a simple question

garyshell
13th March 2009, 18:03
c

can't///won't speak for Rex......

But I think your reading a bit much onto a simple question

And my point was that both you and Rex were reading a bit much into the comment made by SportscarBruce. He didn't say a word about never questioning the status quo. He talked about those here who at every opportunity badmouth every thing about the status quo. Something, as I said, I do NOT think you or Rex are guilty of.

Gary

Rex Monaco
13th March 2009, 18:58
Do either of you understand what the word "EVERY" means?

Yes, I know what the word 'every' means. It means he was using hyperbole to address Mark and myself.

Please drop this before Starter closes the thread.

champcarray
13th March 2009, 23:01
Not for nuthin', but Hot Wheels might want to refer to it as the "Indy Car" line. Who the heck in the world at large is going to recognize the acronym "IRL"?

FormerFF
14th March 2009, 02:31
I'm glad to hear it. Last time I went looking for some Hot Wheels, as a birthday present for a four year old neighbor, all I could find were muscle cars and NASCAR. No Porsches, no open wheelers.

millencolin
14th March 2009, 14:05
as a 22 year old... who still buys hot wheels (yes embarrasing)... awesome! they better do a Will Power or Ryan Briscoe one

Rex Monaco
14th March 2009, 19:13
No Porsches, no open wheelers.

They do make a Cayman, a Porsche GT and an older GT3 along with many current and vintage road and race Ferrari's too.

They also do an F1 line. But I've never seen them for sale in the USA. Maybe they are hobby store line?

Mark in Oshawa
15th March 2009, 05:17
I bought the Porsches for my nephew at Christmas. Hot Wheels does a collectors edition of bigger cars in the F1 series. I think the IRL ones likely will be in this vein.

PSfan
18th March 2009, 20:59
This brings back memories... in the early days of IRL, my local Canadian Tire had 3 1/18th IRL diecasts (not sure what brand... ) in their toy section. I had really intended on getting the Scott Goodyear one, but thought $30 was to much (before I discovered minichamps :p : ) but by the time I went to buy, they where gone. The truly sad thing is, they could probably use the same molds for the new ones as those cars at canadian tire... I do have 3 Hotwheels "F1" cars, and they do very nice work on the 1/18th scalers...

Also on the IRL "toys" subject, I wonder if the "rc expo" the 3 of the biggest names in RC (Tamiya, Kyosho and HPI) being held during the Longbeach GP will translate to any Radio Control IRL cars... There was another company making them 5-10 years ago (duratrax) But both Tamiya and Kyosho currently make some very nice F1 cars, and it would only take a new lexan mold to make IRL bodies to fit the existing chasis...

Edit: Does anyone know who makes the cars that show up on "wind tunnel" ?

methanolHuffer
18th March 2009, 22:13
I wish I had the time and money to find or build a 1/24th scale slotcar track and run it all through my house.

Sigh

SportscarBruce
18th March 2009, 23:13
This brings back memories... in the early days of IRL, my local Canadian Tire had 3 1/18th IRL diecasts (not sure what brand... ) in their toy section. I had really intended on getting the Scott Goodyear one, but thought $30 was to much (before I discovered minichamps :p : ) but by the time I went to buy, they where gone. The truly sad thing is, they could probably use the same molds for the new ones as those cars at canadian tire... I do have 3 Hotwheels "F1" cars, and they do very nice work on the 1/18th scalers...

Also on the IRL "toys" subject, I wonder if the "rc expo" the 3 of the biggest names in RC (Tamiya, Kyosho and HPI) being held during the Longbeach GP will translate to any Radio Control IRL cars... There was another company making them 5-10 years ago (duratrax) But both Tamiya and Kyosho currently make some very nice F1 cars, and it would only take a new lexan mold to make IRL bodies to fit the existing chasis...

Edit: Does anyone know who makes the cars that show up on "wind tunnel" ?

The same company that makes those 1:1 scale remote controlled talkbots you see behind the desk. NewsWarp

DanicaFan
19th March 2009, 04:03
I wish I had the time and money to find or build a 1/24th scale slotcar track and run it all through my house.

Sigh
There is a slotcar track that is scale with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in my hometown. He also has a drag strip there. Its a pretty cool place. I have a Danica Patrick indycar slotcar that I take out there.

SarahFan
19th March 2009, 14:39
There is a slotcar track that is scale with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in my hometown. He also has a drag strip there. Its a pretty cool place. I have a Danica Patrick indycar slotcar that I take out there.

D... can you post a pic(s) of your 'Danicaroom'

SportscarBruce
19th March 2009, 15:14
D... can you post a pic(s) of your 'Danicaroom'

LOL

Hey, I'm sure there's rooms turned into shrines for Dale Jr out there too. If Danicafan post the pics I'll put up my shrine to IMSA racing.

SarahFan
19th March 2009, 15:39
he has posted them elsewhere

SportscarBruce
19th March 2009, 17:15
Well, being a passionate fan shouldn't be a source of ridicule. Believe it or not there's open wheel fans out there who actually spend their time supporting the series and its drivers, rather than tearing them down, as is too often the case.

Rex Monaco
19th March 2009, 17:55
Well, being a passionate fan shouldn't be a source of ridicule. Believe it or not there's open wheel fans out there who actually spend their time supporting the series and its drivers, rather than tearing them down, as is too often the case.

Sometimes passion leads to legitimate criticsm. And those people should not be ridiculed either, as is too often the case.

Rex Monaco
19th March 2009, 18:01

It's been a long time since I've seen one of those tracks. Last one I saw was in Montery. I don't think it's there anymore.

I have lot's of Tyco track that I'd like to permantly mount and hang from my garage rafters oneday.

SarahFan
19th March 2009, 19:45
who ridiculed someone?

SportscarBruce
19th March 2009, 21:17
Withdraw "ridicule" and replace it with "incessantly negative". Search if any doubt exist.

SarahFan
19th March 2009, 21:32
whats negative about asking a guy to post some pics of a/his room dedicated a driver' And ow racing?

Rex Monaco
19th March 2009, 21:52
whats negative about asking a guy to post some pics of a/his room dedicated a driver' And ow racing?

I'm confused too. Maybe it's considered negative because it's a shrine dedicated to Danica and not to the glorious leader?

garyshell
19th March 2009, 22:07

I'm confused too. Maybe it's considered negative because it's a shrine dedicated to Danica and not to the glorious leader?

Must both of you be so paranoid? We ALL harass DanicaFan for his often delusional (see I just did it too) devotion to her. I think it was pretty easy to view Ken's request in that light and assume it was more of our picking on DanicaFan. With out the benefit of hearing the tone of voice or body language it is damned easy to misconstrue intent like this. I thought Ken was poking fun too.

Gary

DanicaFan
19th March 2009, 22:36
I posted a new thread of my collection. I did a search and couldnt find the original thread. :confused:

SportscarBruce
19th March 2009, 22:40
Must both of you be so paranoid? We ALL harass DanicaFan for his often delusional (see I just did it too) devotion to her. I think it was pretty easy to view Ken's request in that light and assume it was more of our picking on DanicaFan. With out the benefit of hearing the tone of voice or body language it is damned easy to misconstrue intent like this. I thought Ken was poking fun too.

Gary

Well, I might be off-base here (and this is directed at no one in particular herein) but isn't it healthier to possess a delusional affection to a female sports figure rather than a balding dotcom CEO and his now-defunct ow series?

:p

SarahFan
19th March 2009, 23:11
Well, I might be off-base here (and this is directed at no one in particular herein) but isn't it healthier to possess a delusional affection to a female sports figure rather than a balding dotcom CEO and his now-defunct ow series?

:p

Has someone suggested differently

methanolHuffer
20th March 2009, 01:08
I guess I can't entirely relate to the die hard guy (or gal) that follows and worships another driver and is prepared to defend them to the bitter end.

Auto racing has drawn me in by the coolness of the cars. Maybe that's why I've favored CART over IRL when being made to choose which one to watch when they were on at the same time. But all that's history now. IRL might have less than pretty cars than what it could have, but it's what they have.
I like the tracks, too. I honestly don't like the personalities (most) that I've met in the higher tiers of the sport.

SportscarBruce
20th March 2009, 01:16
I guess I can't entirely relate to the die hard guy (or gal) that follows and worships another driver and is prepared to defend them to the bitter end.

Auto racing has drawn me in by the coolness of the cars. Maybe that's why I've favored CART over IRL when being made to choose which one to watch when they were on at the same time. But all that's history now. IRL might have less than pretty cars than what it could have, but it's what they have.

^ Rational, objective, intellectually honest opinions. We need more of that in open wheel.

I like the tracks, too. I honestly don't like the personalities (most) that I've met in the higher tiers of the sport.

If you think the drivers and owners can be aloff and condescending, in comparison to certain part and full time media folks they're downright charming.

methanolHuffer
20th March 2009, 01:39
Yeah, active most drivers and owners seem very likable and all business. I dig that.
It's actually the former drivers that seem to have a strangeness about them. And I won't name drop the bad ones, negativity spurns more negativity.

But I'll tell you a positive character that impressed me: Darren Manning. I met him on a flight to (his) first race with Walker at St. Pete. Totally average and amicable. He actually would bring up racing through the whole flight. I'm not one to get star-struck and he was never a star anyway. But he had good technical knowledge about his year old Reynard(and made it known that they had very little testing time that year), and seemed genuine.

I've got my hero's, but they're all gone for the most part. Some cars are still found in museums!

SportscarBruce
20th March 2009, 02:05
In spite of strongly voiced opinions to the contrary I'll really like to see Alex Zanardi suit up for Chip and race an Indy 500 one-off. IMO that'll be a hero's return to the sport like no other. Since his career timeline fell during the immediate ow split era Alex deserves a shot at the Borg-Warner.

SarahFan
20th March 2009, 02:10
In spite of strongly voiced opinions to the contrary I'll really like to see Alex Zanardi suit up for Chip and race an Indy 500 one-off. IMO that'll be a hero's return to the sport like no other. Since his career timeline fell during the immediate ow split era Alex deserves a shot at the Borg-Warner.

how friggin cool would that be!!!!

hey Tony.... want to create some buzz???

SportscarBruce
20th March 2009, 02:23
I have assumed this option has been explored and hasn't taken place due to some insurmountable barrier, but if is not the case someone of influence really should pick up the phone and dial ...

Rex Monaco
20th March 2009, 11:57

I'm still confused.

A.) You just admonished people not to ridicule Danicafan, and then you label his fanhood as delusional affection.

and

B.) The only people on this forum that are expressing a delusional affection for any OW CEO, are those who would like to make criticsms of the current CEO off-limits.

SportscarBruce
20th March 2009, 12:31
It's a light-hearted joke. I was impressed by KK's handling of the merger.

Rex Monaco
20th March 2009, 14:40
Must both of you be so paranoid?

Well Dr. Gary it all began while I was just an innocent little kid trying to share my Hot Wheels cars with some friends of mine.

This bigger kid came over and started telling us he didn't like it when we said mean things about the school principle. Almost everyone thought the principle was an idiot. But only a few of us would say it.

Later one of the boys came over and shared with all of us that he had a big crush on one of the little girls. Some other kid asked him to show us pictures of her.

Then that bigger kid came back and said we were making fun of him and that we shouldn't say bad things about the principle either. We weren't even talking about the principle though. So we got confused and started talking about this really cool teacher who had a really bad accident.

This other kid came over and said that we were all being silly and that everybody picks on the boy with the crush. Then he asked if we wanted to play doctor. So we all pretended like he was a real doctor and we were the patients.

So do you think you can help me, Dr. Gary?

SportscarBruce
20th March 2009, 15:01
Gary, some folks just insist on pouring too much vinegar on this open wheel salad. I don't know if its a case of salad sabotage in order to keep people away, or merely personal taste. Just stop shaking the damm vinegar bottle on it. ;)

SarahFan
20th March 2009, 15:08
Gary, some folks just insist on pouring too much vinegar on this open wheel salad. I don't know if its a case of salad sabotage in order to keep people away, or merely personal taste. Just stop shaking the damm vinegar bottle on it. ;)

there is an interesting thread going on elsewhere about the state of the Toronto race...

it has raised an interesting question for me... so I'll pose for you..

what comes first?..... a successful series or successful races (and in turn racers and teams)?

SarahFan
20th March 2009, 15:15
Gary, some folks just insist on pouring too much vinegar on this open wheel salad.

could you be more specific.....can you highlight this actually happening.....like your earlier suggestions of folks being ridiculed and worshipping bald ceo's I just don't see it...

it sure would be refreshing to see some actual happenings of the offensives you keep referring too

garyshell
20th March 2009, 16:00

Gary

So do you think you can help me, Dr. Gary?

Come on Rex, all I was trying to point out, via the part of the message you deleted from the quote, is that most all of us are guilty of giving DanicaFan a hard time for his devotion to her. And I honestly thought Ken was poking fun in his request. I think others did too. Then when someone dares to think Ken WAS poking fun, all of the sudden we're back to the old us versus them and "oh no we can't criticise King George when we want" defense. Pardon me while I yawn!

Gary

SarahFan
20th March 2009, 16:40
Some actual conversation about the thread, "Hot Wheels to introduce an IRL line", instead of about the other posters might not be a bad idea either guys (and gals).

not only that.... but wouldn't it be nice for folks to stop projecting transparent claims...

that would be refreshing

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 23:47
there is an interesting thread going on elsewhere about the state of the Toronto race...

it has raised an interesting question for me... so I'll pose for you..

what comes first?..... a successful series or successful races (and in turn racers and teams)?

Why don't you post the thread HERE Then so we can all play?

Of course....we are arguing about Hot Wheels and the lack of promotion the IRL has gotten with this.

Nothing new...give race fans no races for too long and they start to go goofy....

SarahFan
21st March 2009, 02:36
Why don't you post the thread HERE Then so we can all play?

Of course....we are arguing about Hot Wheels and the lack of promotion the IRL has gotten with this.

Nothing new...give race fans no races for too long and they start to go goofy....

not allowed to post links to other sites....

the jist is that Toronto took a hit the last 4 or 5 yeras as CC declined.... and looks to have taken (taking?)another step backwards under AGR...

sentiment is folks hope Toronto rebounds and becomes what it once was.....

personnally I don't think it can until the IRL takes leaps and bounds forward....which of coarse poses a problem and prompts a chicken/egg scenerio...

what must happen to grow.... must the IRL promote so its racers, teams and events will flourish.... or must the events flourish and the racers garner popularity so the IRL will grow?

if you would like a link drop me a PM

Rex Monaco
22nd March 2009, 15:20
the jist is that Toronto took a hit the last 4 or 5 yeras as CC declined.... and looks to have taken (taking?)another step backwards under AGR...

Interesting. This post seems to have been the catalyst for a new thread posted by someone who is allegedly ignoring you.

Rex Monaco
22nd March 2009, 16:22

I was going to suggest that you start a thread on this topic, but I just noticed that there is already a thread on this topic.

I would be interested in hearing the reasons why people think that this race is still struggling under AGR in that thread, especially in contrast to what is being said publically by Micheal Andretti.

Rex Monaco
30th March 2009, 15:24
In light of the IRL using red wall Firestones, I'm thinking that Hot Wheels needs to offer a 'Redline' wheel version of their 1/64th scale cars.

It would look great sitting next to my original Hot Wheels versions of the Indy Eagle, Lotus Turbine, Shelby Turbine and Brahbam-Repco F1.

methanolHuffer
30th March 2009, 21:44
I know a store that is selling 1/64th Castroneves cars for $2 (reduced from $6.99 or so).
There's about a half dozen left if anyone wants me to pick them up a couple PM me.

Doubt they're going to be collectors or anything but think of the look on your kid's face next christmas!

Wilf
31st March 2009, 04:18
In light of the IRL using red wall Firestones, I'm thinking that Hot Wheels needs to offer a 'Redline' wheel version of their 1/64th scale cars.

It would look great sitting next to my original Hot Wheels versions of the Indy Eagle, Lotus Turbine, Shelby Turbine and Brahbam-Repco F1.

Oh he!! Now I understand why you are so interested in a return to a "run what you brung" rules for the INDY 500; you have blank spaces on your Hot Wheels wall and you can only stand so many Honda Dallaras. It all makes sense now.

You wouldn't have an extra Olsonite Eagles sitting around would you?

Rex Monaco
3rd April 2009, 16:11
Oh he!! Now I understand why you are so interested in a return to a "run what you brung" rules for the INDY 500; you have blank spaces on your Hot Wheels wall and you can only stand so many Honda Dallaras. It all makes sense now.

Actually yes. I started following auto racing when I was a kid BECAUSE of my love of cars.

Rex Monaco
3rd April 2009, 16:16
I thought I'd share this post that an employee of Mattel made on their official Hot Wheels Collectors website.

Originally posted 03-31-09 10:13 PM on Hot Wheels Collector (http://www.hotwheelscollector.com) by HWC ChrisB:
We launch the product line tomorrow at St. Petersberg for the first race. I think the cars look great and am excited to hear your feedback.

(Red Line Club) will get a taste of the Indy 500 this year with a "one off" Dan Wheldon camoflouge decoration.

We are working on a 100th Anniversary Indianapolis Motor Speedway item that will include a piece of brick from the original racetrack.