PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 British cars

Knock-on
10th March 2009, 15:18
OK, so it's got very little to do with F1 apart from Lotus used to be a true race Marque, and hopefully may one day again, but I had to post this.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/10032009/36/best-british-geneva-0.html

Apparently these are to top 5 British cars at Geneva.

CAN ANYONE SEE THE OBVIOUS F**KING MISTAKE.

Not one is British!

Aston is bloody Kuwaiti
Lagonda, see above
Bently is a sooped up Golf
Lotus is a Proton
and the other's a sodding Vauxhall :o

Is it me?

Brown, Jon Brow
10th March 2009, 15:21
How about Jaguar? Well, India was once part of The Empire.............

Knock-on
10th March 2009, 15:23
How about Jaguar? Well, India was once part of The Empire.............

:laugh:

You say Tata, I say potatoe :D

yodasarmpit
10th March 2009, 18:29
I read the title and thought, wait, do we even have 5 car manufacturers :)

ChrisS
10th March 2009, 18:33
So who are the true British manufacturers?

London Taxis International (LTI) that makes Black cabs is the largest British owned car manufacturer

There are also Morgan, Ariel, Caterham, Noble, Ginetta and a few guys that built cars in their sheds

ioan
11th March 2009, 07:05
You should really take this to the Chit Chat section.

Dave B
11th March 2009, 08:43
TVR?

Oh... :\

savage86
11th March 2009, 10:33
well... mostly British designed and British built just not British money......

Brown, Jon Brow
11th March 2009, 10:48
McLaren MP4-24
Renault R29
Red Bull-Renault RB5
Force India-Mercedes VJM02
Brawn-Mercedes GP001

Thats 5 cars. All made and designed in Britain :p

SGWilko
11th March 2009, 10:58

You ever watch 'Dear John' when it was on?

Knock-on
11th March 2009, 11:21
and a few guys that built cars in their sheds

That's me :D

The UK has a great kit car industry but the Government is trying to put pay to that as we speak.

The cost for a "mon on the street" to have a car inspected for use on the road (note: not registered, taxed etc but just passed fit) is £190 for a SVA and £50 for a retest. Bearing in mind it is an extremely rigourous test and 90% of vehicles submitted fail first time, you expect to budget £240 to have it examined.

Now, the SVA has become the IVA as of the end of this week and the cost is about £600 for a test and they have tightened it up even more so the cost is 10-20% of the value of the car :/

Thanks Labour!

The UK has a rich heritage of innovation in the car industry and Motorsport. This is slowly being quashed and Britians title of the superpower of F1 may be in it's twilight years.

I'm sorry to say that Brawn GP may be one of the last independants that we produce.

Knock-on
11th March 2009, 11:21

Why not go there and wait for us. We're right behind you. Honest ;)

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2009, 03:26
Don't feel bad....the last time My nation had a native car make was the illfated Bricklin....and before that the McLaughlin Buick before WW2. Of course the mismanagement of British Leyland is the main reason the British Car Industry is on the skids. If Labour gov'ts in the 60's and 70's didn't nationalize half the car makes in Britian, you might have had a few players still flying the Union Jack...

Valve Bounce
16th March 2009, 05:12
OK, so it's got very little to do with F1 apart from Lotus used to be a true race Marque, and hopefully may one day again, but I had to post this.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/10032009/36/best-british-geneva-0.html

Apparently these are to top 5 British cars at Geneva.

CAN ANYONE SEE THE OBVIOUS F**KING MISTAKE.

Not one is British!

Aston is bloody Kuwaiti
Lagonda, see above
Bently is a sooped up Golf
Lotus is a Proton
and the other's a sodding Vauxhall :o

Is it me?

OK!! here's one that is an Aussi car - but definitely one of the greatest cars ever. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/king-david/lightburn-zeta-1964-1.jpg

tsarcasm
17th March 2009, 01:19
Don't feel bad....the last time My nation had a native car make was the illfated Bricklin....and before that the McLaughlin Buick before WW2. Of course the mismanagement of British Leyland is the main reason the British Car Industry is on the skids. If Labour gov'ts in the 60's and 70's didn't nationalize half the car makes in Britian, you might have had a few players still flying the Union Jack...

Correct, that's why the USA will continue to do poorly, govt. intervention. Free Markets allow the strong to survive and the weak to FAIL (not anymore).