PDA

View Full Version : Clio 197 or Corsa VXR

speedy king
8th March 2009, 22:57
Not a pipe dream glad to say, was at a renault garage saturday looking round the current version of the Clio Sport and fell in love with it, insurance is pretty reasonable for a 19 year old too. Idealy i want a Civic Type R or Astra VXR but no companies will touch anyone until they're over 21 so have nailed it down to these..

Corsa VXR, 1.6 Turbo 170ish bhp i think?
Clio Sport 197 2.0 VVT

On paper the clio is 6.7 seconds 0-60 and the Corsa 6.9 whereas the Corsa has much higher top speed (though this is useless to me as i dont want to go losing my license)

Wondering if anyone on here has owned either of these two and can recommend the pros and cons that the garages wont be telling me? I know some people may see the cars as 'chavy' but i'm not looking for a 2 seater sports car, i like to carry people in the car with me and also like the practicalities, just i like the right pedal too sometimes :)

Rollo
8th March 2009, 23:52
Cons: You're a prison officer. Some little imp is more than likely to key your lovely new car.

Cons:
If you want a Honda Civic Type R, then get one. The 7th Gen Civic is far more positive than the current one. Plus if you're looking at a new Clio 197, then you have about £16K to play with. You should be able to pick up an older Civic for about £10K and then use the remaining dosh to pay for the motor insurance.

I'd be more inclined to suggest that the Clio is probably a better proposition due to the phenomenon of torque steer.

Daniel
9th March 2009, 10:29
Out of those two I'd take the Clio any day. Corsa VXR's are chav central. Also consider a Grande Punto Abarth or a Mito 1.4 turbo 155bhp. Clio will be the better drivers car though

Brown, Jon Brow
9th March 2009, 10:50
What is it with Vauxhalls always having high top speeds but slower acceleration?
Are they obsessed with longer gear ratios or something? Surely acceleration is more usable on a road car than top speed?

GridGirl
9th March 2009, 18:06
I'd save up for the Type R. My younger brother was able to get and insure his 2005 (55 plate) Type R celebration edition at 21. To be fair having a Clio 197 or a Corsa VRX wouldn't be any cheaper to run I would of thought. my brother found little difference on the insurance premiums.

VRs's for the win on fuel economy though as I really dont want to know what mpg my brother gets out of his Type R the way he drives it. ;) :p