View Full Version : Gran Torino

Bezza
2nd March 2009, 12:47
Best film I've seen for a long time.

Clint as his best!

Tazio
3rd March 2009, 04:33
Best film I've seen for a long time.

Clint as his best!That's quite an endorsement!
How would you say it stands up to Eastwood's portrayal of Dr. Hemlock in “The Eiger Sanction”???

raybak
3rd March 2009, 09:06
I would say Clint's best. A great movie. A must see!!

Ray

Donney
3rd March 2009, 14:25
I fully agree.

wedge
4th March 2009, 00:10
I thought it was a mixed bag.

First half was great, second half so so - like it wasn't sure whether it wanted to be A History of Violence ie. serious study of male machismo or Falling Down ie. dark comedy/satirical commentary

Ranger
4th March 2009, 08:31
I thought it was good. I wouldn't give it 5 stars though.

pino
4th March 2009, 09:07
I am a big fan of Clint Eastwood so can't wait to see it :D

Mark in Oshawa
6th March 2009, 17:14
Fantastic movie, and it shows how violence in the end doesn't solve problems, but admitting ones strength to avoid violence will in the end solve the problem. A man who hunted and killed all his life in one form or another learns peace from people he had no time for or respect for through his own ignorance.

There are so many lessons and morality plays in this movie that I think as time goes on it will stand up for interesting life lessons taught in the movies. I cannot think of another film in the last few years that I have seen that educated, entertained and made you think like this one...

Roamy
8th March 2009, 18:34
It was great
another really good movie body of lies

A.F.F.
21st August 2009, 16:06
I finally got to see it and I have to agree it's the best performance by Clint, acting, writing and directing alltogether. Just brilliant movie :up:

schmenke
21st August 2009, 21:59
Great performance by Eastwood, yes, but I found the script somewhat predictable. Overall a somewhat over-rated movie IMO.

jimakos
22nd August 2009, 06:34
I finally got to see it and I have to agree it's the best performance by Clint, acting, writing and directing alltogether. Just brilliant movie :up:
Absolutely agree!
One of the best movies I've seen last time...

Lousada
23rd August 2009, 18:56
I watched it yesterday and thought it was garbage. This is by far the most overrated crap I've ever seen, except perhaps the 2004 version of Crash.

The acting was at times atrocious, especially the Asian kid. Especially when he tries to be angry and screams it's really awfull. Clint Eastwood does little more then grunt like a zombie half the time. The priest was unbelievable.

Boring unoriginal story line. Stereotype-old-guy-hates-stereotype-young-guy-but-gradually-accepts-young-guy. SNORE. Done so many times before, and much more enjoyable (Milion dollar baby).

Cliche display of emotions. Like when after the shooting that girl stumbles in, followed by 5 minutes of switching between her and eastwood, before we get a shot of him holding that glass and it falls. That was so corny I had to laugh. Also the reading of the will at the end, with the dramatic pauses and the little girl supposedly actually thinks she'll get the car.

The dialogue was poor and predictable. Putting racial slurs in every other sentence is not sophisticated.
The children want dad in the nursing home but dad doesn't want too. Wow never seen that before.... Dad wants some support from the children but then they feign being busy. Original, not!

Not mentioning the obvious plot-hole that he tries to save the neighbourhood from gangstahs. Yet when the kids stroll down the streets they get pinned down by hispanics and later by blacks.

Better stop now.

A.F.F.
23rd August 2009, 18:58
I watched it yesterday and thought it was garbage. This is by far the most overrated crap I've ever seen, except perhaps the 2004 version of Crash.

The acting was at times atrocious, especially the Asian kid. Especially when he tries to be angry and screams it's really awfull. Clint Eastwood does little more then grunt like a zombie half the time. The priest was unbelievable.

Boring unoriginal story line. Stereotype-old-guy-hates-stereotype-young-guy-but-gradually-accepts-young-guy. SNORE. Done so many times before, and much more enjoyable (Milion dollar baby).

Cliche display of emotions. Like when after the shooting that girl stumbles in, followed by 5 minutes of switching between her and eastwood, before we get a shot of him holding that glass and it falls. That was so corny I had to laugh. Also the reading of the will at the end, with the dramatic pauses and the little girl supposedly actually thinks she'll get the car.

The dialogue was poor and predictable. Putting racial slurs in every other sentence is not sophisticated.
The children want dad in the nursing home but dad doesn't want too. Wow never seen that before.... Dad wants some support from the children but then they feign being busy. Original, not!

Not mentioning the obvious plot-hole that he tries to save the neighbourhood from gangstahs. Yet when the kids stroll down the streets they get pinned down by hispanics and later by blacks.

Better stop now.

So I take it you didn't like it ??

:p :

Lousada
23rd August 2009, 19:02
So I take it you didn't like it ??

That sums it up pretty well, yes :p :

MrJan
23rd August 2009, 23:25
Just watched this and thought it was great, it wasn't anything groundbreaking in terms of plot (getting pretty difficult these days with so many different films about) but it was really well put together and carried out.

Storm
24th August 2009, 08:19
Saw GT about 2 weeks ago (forgot about this thread though)..I found it pretty decent, nothing original like the guys above said but thought it wasn't a bad film either.

jim mcglinchey
24th August 2009, 13:57
Thing is, girls shouldnt be allowed to review blokish films. Its like me trying to do a subjective review of My Sisters Keeper or Germaine Greer reviewing Band of Brothers on Newsnight or something...just wont work.

"Why dont you go inside old man?"
"Why dont I blow a hole in your face, then go inside and sleep like a baby."

Girls just cant appreciate that kind of drama.