PDA

View Full Version : and the backmarkers of 2009 will be ?

CNR
2nd March 2009, 04:08
http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=103414

It seems odd, but the new Force India VMJ02 was quicker than the more thoroughly tested McLaren during Formula 1 testing at Jerez today.

N. Jones
2nd March 2009, 04:21
Former Honda I think.

Valve Bounce
2nd March 2009, 07:38
Bunsen & Edges - no worries!!

cosmicpanda
2nd March 2009, 07:46
didn't honda set a fastest lap once in testing?

Valve Bounce
2nd March 2009, 07:49
didn't honda set a fastest lap once in testing?

Yeah!! ant used to do that regularly.

Mark
2nd March 2009, 08:37
Because McLaren aren't bothered about such trivialities and will be shaking their car down to do well in the race. They can let the other teams do their fastest laps on low fuel etc.

K-Pu
2nd March 2009, 08:48
Honda (or whatever it will be called) and Force India

555-04Q2
2nd March 2009, 11:35
I think we will find the pecking order wont have changed much. The top teams should still be at the front with maybe one surprise from one of the traditional slower teams straight off the bat. Not long till we find out!

Knock-on
2nd March 2009, 11:59
Because McLaren aren't bothered about such trivialities and will be shaking their car down to do well in the race. They can let the other teams do their fastest laps on low fuel etc.

Do you remember that year when I learn't Mclaren were using a near seamless, lightweight box and was convinced they were sandbagging.

I got it really wrong until they got it sorted.

I've heard that they are not concerned at the moment and feel confident. However, after last time, I am not as confident because they have brought the rear wing in late and not set competitive times with it yet.

Perhaps they are building up but I would have thought they would be setting a few quick times by now to set a bench mark.

Slightly worried......

rob01
2nd March 2009, 12:56
i think it wont be much different.
Mclaren, Ferrari ect ect.
Maybe one of the teams will surprise us at first but once the season gets going it'll be business as usual.

jens
2nd March 2009, 17:13
I think we will find the pecking order wont have changed much. The top teams should still be at the front with maybe one surprise from one of the traditional slower teams straight off the bat. Not long till we find out!

With every testing day exactly the opposite feeling is growing in me. The possibility of a serious challenge by Red Bull or especially Toyota is rising.

Well, to be more precise, you are right, the top teams will indeed still be at the front, but the names of top teams will be different this time. :p :

It doesn't mean that I expect McLaren to be a backmarker, but with rule changes some shake-ups tend to happen. In 2004 two of previous Top3 teams (Williams & McLaren) were replaced by other (BAR and Renault). In 2005 the former Top2 teams (Ferrari and BAR) dropped dramatically backwards.

As for the question in the title of the thread, I'd expect Force India, BrackleyF1 and maybe STR to fight it out at the back.

Sonic
2nd March 2009, 20:07
Methinks renault might drop down a few places. Perhaps not tail-end-charlies but they don't seem very well sorted at the moment

Tazio
2nd March 2009, 20:35
Senns, Senna, and some guy named Senna! :p :

Dave B
3rd March 2009, 09:51
The Artists Formerly Known as Honda will no doubt be at the back as the season starts, but sadly I can see Williams struggling this year.

Bullet
3rd March 2009, 19:21
Worried it may be Renault.

truefan72
3rd March 2009, 22:26
Honda for now, but with these new regs and Mercedes engines in their cars they wont stat at the back for long. I'd say that by mid season there will be no true backmarkers anymore. But one huge midpack, an almost there pack of STR, BMW, Renault, and top pack of McLaren and Ferrari

555-04Q2
4th March 2009, 11:00
With every testing day exactly the opposite feeling is growing in me. The possibility of a serious challenge by Red Bull or especially Toyota is rising.

Well, to be more precise, you are right, the top teams will indeed still be at the front, but the names of top teams will be different this time. :p :

It doesn't mean that I expect McLaren to be a backmarker, but with rule changes some shake-ups tend to happen. In 2004 two of previous Top3 teams (Williams & McLaren) were replaced by other (BAR and Renault). In 2005 the former Top2 teams (Ferrari and BAR) dropped dramatically backwards.

As for the question in the title of the thread, I'd expect Force India, BrackleyF1 and maybe STR to fight it out at the back.

I hear you brother. Problem is we always have traditionally mid-pack to back of the grid teams performing well during testing only to fail during the actual championship.

Hopefully 2009 will be different though :)

ioan
4th March 2009, 11:57
Worried it may be Renault.

Don't think so.

ioan
4th March 2009, 11:58
Honda for now, but with these new regs and Mercedes engines in their cars they wont stat at the back for long.

With no testing allowed during the season I have troubles understanding how will they make up for the missing performance.

F1boat
4th March 2009, 13:52
The renamed Honda team.

Knock-on
18th March 2009, 09:54
Sorry boys but had to bring this one back up.

Anyone fancy revising an opinion ;)

I'll start.

As I thought, McLaren have more issues than I could find out but think they will be 90% there come Melbourne.

BGP will be strong throughout the year getting better with time but the real dark horse of the season.

Williams will go backward a bit and the slowest team out there of the top runners will be RBR coupled with McLaren for the first half and Renault in the 2nd when other teams bring KERS on board.

F1boat
18th March 2009, 15:32
STR and Force India will be the backmakers.

Sleeper
18th March 2009, 16:26
^Im with boat on this, though I can see STR getting a handle on running the car better and moving up a bit mid season, unlike FI who will stay at the back.

Knock-on
19th March 2009, 11:04
^Im with boat on this, though I can see STR getting a handle on running the car better and moving up a bit mid season, unlike FI who will stay at the back.

McLaren have a lot on their plate at the moment but I imagine a bit of experience may find it's way to FI.

How much is anyones guess.

UltimateDanGTR
19th March 2009, 16:43
Even if Force India have their best season yet, they'll still be at the back. I think everyone else is too competitive and they are all in wih a chance. we'll have to see what happens......

Sleeper
19th March 2009, 20:03
McLaren have a lot on their plate at the moment but I imagine a bit of experience may find it's way to FI.

How much is anyones guess.
I'm scheptical that this technical partnership will amount to much, though the FI doesnt look to far off the pace either way.

goodf1fun
21st March 2009, 20:34
Mclaren will be in the last places for the first race... Bmw and ferrari will be on the first places..

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2009, 00:28
Mclaren will be in the last places for the first race... Bmw and ferrari will be on the first places..

Don't go betting your sig on that. :D

Ari
22nd March 2009, 05:14
RBR will be up there. McLaren will be the leader with Ferrari behind them.

RBR's Adrian Newey needed a year like this, with so many regulation changes, to be able to catch up. Expect them to be fighting with Renault and BMW.

Williams will be the big mover... backwards. BrawnGP will be no good. I get the feeling they've had a number of glory runs with empty tanks during practise while on a search for cash!

jens
22nd March 2009, 11:40

As it seems BrackleyF1 aka BrawnGP has turned out to be way better than expected, the other two choices in FI and STR remain as the main candidates for a backmarker status. At times - if not often - Piquet and Nakajima will deal with them too. McLaren... Hm, right ahead of them!

stevie_gerrard
24th March 2009, 14:07
Force India, but maybe a shock would see the Toro Rosso guys struggling a bit too. Haven't heard too much about their fortunes in testing.

AussieV8
25th March 2009, 00:44
IMHO BrawnGP will start out at the front of the field, but by the end of the year they will be backmarkers due to lack of $$$ to develop the car.

I reckon Force India will be down the back all year.

Of course, we could all be pleasantly suprised to find there is no consistent backmarker this year. That would be a welcome change!

Mark
23rd October 2009, 10:49
Honda (or whatever it will be called) and Force India

I don't agree :p

Dave B
23rd October 2009, 12:05
The Artists Formerly Known as Honda will no doubt be at the back as the season starts, but sadly I can see Williams struggling this year.
Next in my series of predictions: the Pope will turn out to be Hindu, bears won't deficate outside, and this week's winning lottery numbers (in ascending order) will be -3, zero, pi, 6¾, 107 and infinity+1.

N. Jones
23rd October 2009, 15:53
Next in my series of predictions: the Pope will turn out to be Hindu, bears won't deficate outside, and this week's winning lottery numbers (in ascending order) will be -3, zero, pi, 6¾, 107 and infinity+1.

:laugh:

Sonic
23rd October 2009, 16:37
Methinks renault might drop down a few places. Perhaps not tail-end-charlies but they don't seem very well sorted at the moment

I rule!! :D

So anyone wants a prediction for next season just come and have a quiet word ;)

keysersoze
23rd October 2009, 21:26
It's difficult to say not knowing who will be driving what. But here goes:

1. McLaren (only if they dump Kova)
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull

then a huge drop-off, but the next four will be fiercely duking it out

4. Toyota (if they get Kimi, they will challenge the top 3)
5. Brawn
6. Renault
7. Williams

then another big drop-off

8. STR
9. Force India (especially if they lose Sutil)

I didn't rate BMW or the new teams because so much is unsettled.

Roamy
24th October 2009, 03:33
well unless they hire JV or maybe PDLR usf1 will be the toilet of the league and I suspect they will be just that.

Dave B
24th October 2009, 09:42
Replace "unless" with "if" and you'd be more accurate :p

Roamy
24th October 2009, 11:00
hardly brockman - these young twits couldn't develop a soapbox car

keysersoze
24th October 2009, 14:20
It's difficult to say not knowing who will be driving what. But here goes:

1. McLaren (only if they dump Kova)
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull

then a huge drop-off, but the next four will be fiercely duking it out

4. Toyota (if they get Kimi, they will challenge the top 3)
5. Brawn
6. Renault
7. Williams

then another big drop-off

8. STR
9. Force India (especially if they lose Sutil)

I didn't rate BMW or the new teams because so much is unsettled.

Sorry, but I failed to read the title of this thread correctly. I thought it was for the coming year, but is instead for THIS year. My bad. :rolleyes:

Nikki Katz
24th October 2009, 17:15
If Lotus really field Fauzy or *gasp* Yoong then it's bound to be one of them.

I'm not expecting Williams to be on the same pace as the other current teams if they have to use 5 year old Cosworths and drop the KERS system they've spent so much time working on.

jens
26th October 2009, 14:43
There hasn't really been one true backmarker this year - maybe STR has been in that position more often than others. But Force India, BMW, Toyota, Renault, even McLaren have all tasted, how does it feel to be a "backmarker" as such.