PDA

View Full Version : Honda Team to be called "Brackley F1"...

Giuseppe F1
27th February 2009, 10:18
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090227084040.shtml

Rescued Honda team to be called 'Brackley F1'
An expected shakedown as soon a next week

With a blank livery and Jenson Button at the wheel, the team currently known as Honda will return to action at a Silverstone shakedown of its 2009 car next Thursday, sources from inside the Brackley factory are reporting.

With the Ross Brawn-led management buyout now approved - but not officially announced - by Honda Motor Co.'s Tokyo board, information is leaking from the outfit that had until recently looked likely to be wound up ahead of the 2009 season.

Now, however, suggestions of at least one - and possibly two - full tests at Spanish circuits in March are gaining credence, and one source told us that these will be preceded by a run-out with Mercedes power at Silverstone late next week.

With the Honda board also insisting upon a name change, the frontrunner at present is 'Brackley F1', but a final decision on this has not been taken.

Also likely - but not confirmed - is the identity of Button's team-mate.
Bruno Senna has all winter been named as the frontrunner, but given the nature of the challenge faced for 2009, it is believed the veteran Rubens Barrichello is now favourite to retain his seat.

Under Brawn's leadership, the funds for the team this year will come from increased and advanced FOM income, commercial sponsors, and Honda itself, who have concluded that it is cheaper to offload the squad as a going concern rather than fund the closure and compensate contracted staff, including the very highly paid Button.

The Swiss newspaper Blick said of rookie hopeful Senna: "The young Brazilian will drive in the DTM championship (in 2009)."

Honda may buy back into the F1 team in 2010/2011

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=37118

The last point about Honda still having a potential return plan excites me as would be great to have them back in a few years - VIRGIN HONDA RACING F1 TEAM in 2010/2011 anyone? :)

ioan
27th February 2009, 10:28
So, now that Brawn takes the decisions he went for Rubens instead of young and inexperienced Senna.

K-Pu
27th February 2009, 10:28
We will see how it goes...

I am evil Homer
27th February 2009, 10:57
So, now that Brawn takes the decisions he went for Rubens instead of young and inexperienced Senna.

The right call IMO....for Senna too....F1 rookie thrown into that situation could seriously jeopardise his future F1 chances. Rubens gets a final season with little to no expectations and can then leave.

Knock-on
27th February 2009, 11:05
Had a funny feeling that Honda may be playing a blinder on this one.

Looks like they are going to keep in the wings.

I tend to think this quite a strong rumour as it came from Alan Baldwin

Hawkmoon
27th February 2009, 13:22
Brackley F1? No, that won't do. No good at all. It sounds like they'd paint the car with a tweed pattern and the drivers overalls would have patches on their elbows.

I wonder if Nick and Ross had a fight over the name? Maybe they could come up with a compromise, something that gets them both in the name.

How about "Frying Prawn F1"? They could have a little prawn on the nose with fire coming out of his arse!

Seriously though, it's good to see them survive. Who else were Force India going to play with down the back?

wedge
27th February 2009, 13:44
Brackley F1? No, that won't do. No good at all. It sounds like they'd paint the car with a tweed pattern and the drivers overalls would have patches on their elbows.

I wonder if Nick and Ross had a fight over the name? Maybe they could come up with a compromise, something that gets them both in the name.

How about "Frying Prawn F1"? They could have a little prawn on the nose with fire coming out of his arse!

Seriously though, it's good to see them survive. Who else were Force India going to play with down the back?

At this moment in time getting the cars running and racing at the last moment is more important than getting the team name sound right.

Bagwan
27th February 2009, 14:22

I would have liked "Brawny Virgins" better .
OOO , that didn't sound right .
That's as a name , not as a fetish . The more brawny the virgin , the less desireable in my eyes . Honest !

"Fried Prawn" is more appropo , in this instance , it seems .

Bagwan
27th February 2009, 14:25
Incidentally , does anyone know if this thread's title is the record for length of titles on the board .
Damn , Giuseppe , leave some content for the post ! Hee hee .

Brown, Jon Brow
27th February 2009, 16:34
I would have liked "Brawny Virgins" better .
OOO , that didn't sound right .
That's as a name , not as a fetish . The more brawny the virgin , the less desireable in my eyes . Honest !

"Fried Prawn" is more appropo , in this instance , it seems .

Maybe if Bruno gets the drive he might complain about having 'Virgin' all over his overalls. He is young after all, he might feel insecure about it.

inimitablestoo
27th February 2009, 18:59
I'm intrigued by the possibility, however remote, of the United States F1 team being beaten by the Brackley F1 team in 2010... :laugh:

Speedworx
27th February 2009, 19:06
No Bruno Senna = No team.

They need the money Senna would bring.

Barrichello is out, we all know that.

MrJan
27th February 2009, 19:11

The way it should be, as it was back in the day when men were men and didn't need to argue about any electronic aids :D

BDunnell
27th February 2009, 21:59
I'm intrigued by the possibility, however remote, of the United States F1 team being beaten by the Brackley F1 team in 2010... :laugh:

I think it's a shame they aren't based elsewhere and called something like Little Snoring F1 or Ludford Magna F1.

Brackley is a terrible name, no doubt about it.

Ranger
27th February 2009, 23:20

Neither are confirmed yet so who knows. Senna has the money (supposedly) and potential, but Rubens has the experience.

No money means no team. Simple.
But no experience may mean little development.

It's a tough one.

ykiki
28th February 2009, 02:48
Wasn't the Senna rumor something along the lines of the first four races? If that's the case, then it's not like they're losing a ton of money by not retaining him as a driver.

Lemmy-Boy
28th February 2009, 02:52
SpeedTV.com is reporting the team will be called: Brawn Sport.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-exclusive-brawn-sport-to-take-over-honda/

CNR
28th February 2009, 03:29
http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10704&Itemid=219

markabilly
28th February 2009, 05:47
Brackley??? What the heck is a "brackley"

Must be something thar Bdunnel likes to play with

52Paddy
28th February 2009, 15:50
I'm just glad to see that the team has come through to survive in some form. The name may not be desirable but its brings back flashes of some bad attempts at F1 during the 70s and 80s. Hopefully, BrackleyF1 won't follow the same fate as many teams in the previous eras though.

Its also great to see Barrichello's chances of a drive vastly improve. I don't think he will be a competitive driver if he BrackleyF1 sign him up for 2009, but I do think his experience will be very helpful. Barrichello is a driver who I would like to see leave the sport on his own accord, as opposed to being forced out by financial matters or lack of response from the teams.

jens
28th February 2009, 18:50
Brackley sounds like a good name with the main counterargument that now we will have one more team, whose name represents a geographical unit, although at least it's not a country. :) Well, it'll be a good publicity for the town of Brackley and without any cost to them. :D

ozrevhead
28th February 2009, 21:22
I'm just glad to see that the team has come through to survive in some form. The name may not be desirable but its brings back flashes of some bad attempts at F1 during the 70s and 80s. Hopefully, BrackleyF1 won't follow the same fate as many teams in the previous eras though.

Its also great to see Barrichello's chances of a drive vastly improve. I don't think he will be a competitive driver if he BrackleyF1 sign him up for 2009, but I do think his experience will be very helpful. Barrichello is a driver who I would like to see leave the sport on his own accord, as opposed to being forced out by financial matters or lack of response from the teams.
I dont think there is a F1 fan who doesnt share your setiments but its a chicken and egg senario atmo.

His experiance will help make the team competitive BUT I do think Brawn needs the finances Senna can allegedly bring.

Its going to be a tough one either way

DexDexter
28th February 2009, 22:13
I dont think there is a F1 fan who doesnt share your setiments but its a chicken and egg senario atmo.

His experiance will help make the team competitive BUT I do think Brawn needs the finances Senna can allegedly bring.

Its going to be a tough one either way

I feel people are overestimating the value of experience, I mean even if they take Senna, they already have one very experienced (in modern F1 terms) driver in Button. Barrichello is the past, Senna could possibly be the future. Button ja Barrichello together is a very cozy arrangement, perhaps too easy for both drivers.

acescribe
28th February 2009, 22:14
Whilst nobody can deny that Barrichello had some good drives last season behind the wheel of the Honda, and that is what is probably spurring him on to continue this year and you cannot help but admire the man, there also has to be a line to be drawn. Yes, he brings experience to a team and yes they are behind the rest of the 2009 grid now but they are also made up of vastly experienced people. Button is surely experienced enough to lead, Rubens has been around in F1 since 1993 and yes Bruno Senna is rumoured to be more likely to bring much needed funds but I for one hope that the drive goes to him, simply to aid the growth of the sport and the driver merry go round. He, along with many other up and coming drivers deserve their day, Rubens is one of a few still hanging around that have had theirs.

CNR
28th February 2009, 22:55
spygate only in their mind if Rubens can remember driver settings and ross can remember car setup it could be a good car this year

Valve Bounce
28th February 2009, 23:25
I prefer Bunsen and Edges - has a nice ring to it.

millencolin
1st March 2009, 01:47
I would of preferred 'Back From The Brink Racing'.... but Brackley f1? Brawnsport? come on people, put some creativity into it!

ozrevhead
1st March 2009, 08:45
I prefer Bunsen and Edges - has a nice ring to it.
:rotflmao:

well done

driveace
1st March 2009, 11:10
Now then it could be that the new team keep Barrichello and take on young Senna,as they cant afford Buttons wages,then they have 2 South americans,OR Button stumps up some cash OR gets paid by his results !

Valve Bounce
1st March 2009, 11:42
Now then it could be that the new team keep Barrichello and take on young Senna,as they cant afford Buttons wages,then they have 2 South americans,OR Button stumps up some cash OR gets paid by his results !

Think again. Bunsen is on contract, and the team couldn't afford to drop him. :rolleyes:

CNR
1st March 2009, 11:54
http://www.espnstar.com/motorsport/news/detail/item213103/US$100m-buyout-saves-Honda/

"Ross will lead the operation, while Nick Fry - to the disappointment of some - will also be involved, although most likely in a more junior role this time."

markabilly
1st March 2009, 14:02
"Ross will lead the operation, while Nick Fry - to the disappointment of some - will also be involved, although most likely in a more junior role this time."

Nicky: From big shot to small fry....

CNR
2nd March 2009, 20:47
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73513
Mallya approved Mercedes Honda deal

Force India boss Vijay Mallya has revealed that he had to approve Mercedes-Benz being allowed to supply Honda Racing with engines for this year.
Formula One's regulations do not allow a car manufacturer to supply engines to more than two teams without the full consent of the FIA. That regulation meant that in theory Mallya could have blocked the moves to share his 2009 engine supplier with another team other than McLaren.
However, speaking at Jerez on Monday, Mallya said he decided not to kick up a fuss because it was in the interests of the sport that Honda Racing were given the chance for survival.

Valve Bounce
2nd March 2009, 20:49
Has Mallya replaced Max?

Knock-on
3rd March 2009, 09:08
Has Mallya replaced Max?

No reason for him to refuse. 50% more technical feedback and testing.

Dave B
3rd March 2009, 10:00
Autosport are reporting that Barrichello looks set to partner Button once again:

Rubens Barrichello will extend his record as the most experienced Formula One driver in history this year, autosport.com has learned, after agreeing a deal to race for the soon-to-be-renamed Honda Racing outfit.

Although it is understood that a final contract has not yet been signed, high level sources close to the Brackley-based team have confirmed that the veteran Brazilian has been given the nod to line up alongside Jenson Button in 2009.

Full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73522

Ranger
3rd March 2009, 10:41
Well, they have a bit less than 4 weeks.

They'll be at the back of the grid surely, but hopefully they will produce something that's at least respectably close to the rest.

WSRfan82
5th March 2009, 17:21
Sounds like an old mans club team not an f1 team no no no

maybe...erm...???...erm..."Survival Motorsports" :D

if they do make it i will be happy but i am starting to get bored with who and what MITE happen.

we will just have to see on 27th

Sonic
5th March 2009, 20:14

Nicky: From big shot to small fry....

I see what you've done there ;)

Marshall
6th March 2009, 10:52
Its now official

http://www.brawngp.com/pr.php