http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73405

Dave B
24th February 2009, 11:20
Same details, but straight from the horse's mouth so to speak:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7755219.stm

I'm very pleased I've run extra cables for a 2nd Sky box :D

BTCC Fan#1
24th February 2009, 11:20
Sounds excellent! :D Really looking forward to seeing these things implemented.

Tazio
24th February 2009, 11:36
Chuffin' Nora, are you thikin' they will 'ave a global block on the 'nt'net lads?
Aye, if they do then Pirates we be! :p :

Mark
24th February 2009, 12:49
Excellent. I like the idea of split screen, that way you can see the onboards without having to move away from the main feed, and end up missing something!

I expect I may well spend my time flicking between the main feed and the split screen. I don't have two seperate TV's set up, unlike some :p

It's a pity they couldn't use BBCHD for this, fair enough the main feed is in SD, but you could use the resolution provided by HD to have a 4-way split screen without losing too much detail.

Dave B
24th February 2009, 12:57
BBC HD have a policy of not showing non-HD content, something to do with preserving the brand. Compare and contrast with the amount of upscaled stuff on Channel4HD and the various Sky HD channels and I can sort of see their point.

The release from the BBC press office is making me drool with anticipation...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/02_february/24/formulaone.shtml

Mark
24th February 2009, 13:04
This sounds good there will be an additional one-hour post-race analysis programme, immediately after the network programme goes off-air, on the Red Button.

That sounds like it might be good

This will gives viewers the opportunity to share their views on the race's main talking points and to ask questions of the presentation team, Humphrey, Coulthard and Jordan.

That has the potential to be excellent, or cringworthingly bad!

Dave B
24th February 2009, 13:07
That has the potential to be excellent, or cringworthingly bad!
Remember the Motors TV post-BTCC coverage, which was basically Diana Binks and two patio chairs? They can't do worse than that!

Dave B
24th February 2009, 14:57
Martin Brundle on Five Live right now (15:05)

Sonic
24th February 2009, 19:07
LUSH! Welcome back auntie beeb!

christophulus
24th February 2009, 21:59
They also suggest that they won't be falling over themselves to interview "Lewis" the whole time too:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/73410

I'm ridiculously excited about this year, any chance of moving the Aus GP forward a couple of weeks? :)

jonny hurlock
24th February 2009, 22:07
will the beeb do the same thing with the iplacer they have done with motogp with the reaped of the races online out of asking?

truefan72
24th February 2009, 22:18
too bad we will have none of that state side :down:

wedge
24th February 2009, 23:35
Absolutely fantastic! Who said the Beeb wouldn't be able to provide value for for money? Auntie has raised the bar even further and possibly bettering Sky/soccer.

Can't wait for the new season to start

Only bad point is that I see no mention of Maurice Hamilton so hopefully he'll be still featuring in the podcasts.

Martin Brundle on Five Live right now (15:05)

Great interview - as always on Mayo's show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/fivelive_aod.shtml?fivelive/mayo_tue

Starts at about 2hr 04min

berniefails
25th February 2009, 02:40
:angryfire Can't believe we arent going to get Formula one in HD in the states, so dissapointing. Nascar fails, www.seef1live.com (http://www.seef1live.com) fails and speed fails.

AndyRAC
25th February 2009, 08:32
Good news, but was there any mention of the MotoGP coverage as well? Or is that getting the second class treatment?

Dave B
25th February 2009, 08:38
will the beeb do the same thing with the iplacer they have done with motogp with the reaped of the races online out of asking?
According to the press release, all races will be available on the iPlayer for 7 days, or 30 days if you download them - which I recommend for higher quality and no buffering issues.

Good news, but was there any mention of the MotoGP coverage as well? Or is that getting the second class treatment?
Have a read of the BBC Sports Editors' blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2009/01/it_always_feels_like_a.html), it should answer all your questions but if it doesn't there's the opportunity of asking the team directly.

SOD
26th February 2009, 10:35
Attention non sky customers.

you can get the digital screens if you have a free to air satellite can get them at maplins etc for about £60, just point it at 28.8 east. The BBC red button screens are on there.

Mark
26th February 2009, 11:09
Attention non sky customers.

you can get the digital screens if you have a free to air satellite can get them at maplins etc for about £60, just point it at 28.8 east. The BBC red button screens are on there.

Are the extra feeds not available on freeview?

555-04Q2
26th February 2009, 11:24
Split screen? So now you can watch two different advert brreaks on the same screen! Brilliant! :p :

SOD
26th February 2009, 13:06
Are the extra feeds not available on freeview?

I have no idea. there's only 6 six screens set aisde for extra Beeb programming on the Astra satellite, not sure if they can use all 6 on a sSunday afternoon when they have many events to cover with the red button.

Dave B
26th February 2009, 17:50
There's some clarification to come. Freeview, Satellite and Cable will all have the interactive streams; but there's more capacity on satellite so there's the possibility of extra streams over and above what we've been informed about.

It's down to demand, rights (the BBC don't have the rights to a full data channel, for example), and clashes with other events.

Mark
27th February 2009, 09:22
I suspect they've get kept the number of streams down so that if there is another event going on then they can cover that too without having to interfere with the GP coverage.

SGWilko
27th February 2009, 09:36
Split screen? So now you can watch two different advert brreaks on the same screen! Brilliant! :p :

Advertisements, on Auntie Beeb? Are you sure? ;)

Dave B
5th March 2009, 10:08
Lee McKenzie and others from the BBC team have been filming laps in the reasonably priced car. If that doesn't say "Top Gear F1 Special" I don't know what does!

http://www.leemckenzie.tv/full_story.asp?pageref=19

Dave B
5th March 2009, 10:11
PS: all-new BBC F1 website coming very soon :D

Not before time, in fairness. ITV's F1 website was actually surprisingly good (once you'd blocked all the flash :rolleyes: ) and the Beeb's was sorely lacking.

Dave B
5th March 2009, 10:34
PPS:

BBC's "World's Greatest Car Chase" F1 trailer. It's brilliant! :s hock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7911126.stm

wedge
5th March 2009, 12:08
PS: all-new BBC F1 website coming very soon :D

Not before time, in fairness. ITV's F1 website was actually surprisingly good (once you'd blocked all the flash :rolleyes: ) and the Beeb's was sorely lacking.

Only good BBC journalist is Andrew Benson who's ex-Autosport. Don't remember reading anything by Legard in the Motorsport section he knows his stuff. Beeb really need someone like Mark Hughes for the technical stuff. Whether they commission him or not I do not know but there must be someone out there who can do Peter Windsor/Hughes job without being condescending!

wedge
5th March 2009, 12:14
Nice to see the Beeb has its priorities sorted, noticed its below football and not near the bottom of the sports list.

Just gone on it and for some reason the site has black background. Wonder where they got their inspiration from?

Dave B
5th March 2009, 12:27
Beeb really need someone like Mark Hughes for the technical stuff. Whether they commission him or not I do not know ...
He's the BBC commentary box producer, continuing his ITV role of providing information and background for the commentators.

Whether this will mean contributions to the website or broadcasts, I don't know.

ArrowsFA1
6th March 2009, 12:21
Was a bit worried last night watching some of the F1 clips made available via the red button...There seemed to be an updated version of 'The Chain' playing in the background :(

I really hope they stick to the Fleetwood Mac original :dozey:

wedge
7th March 2009, 13:41
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2009/03/f1_editor_the_best_job_in_the.html

After reading this its making me feel a bit sick already. Seems like its not all that different to ITV, never liked the 1hr pre-qualy coverage anyway since they repeated most of the stuff on the pre-race show.

Dave B
7th March 2009, 14:21
Was a bit worried last night watching some of the F1 clips made available via the red button...There seemed to be an updated version of 'The Chain' playing in the background :(

I really hope they stick to the Fleetwood Mac original :dozey:

Direct from Andrew Benson, he of BBC sport:

1) The Chain - yes, the TV theme tune will be the iconic original version of this track, as used by the BBC previously. We feel it is inextricably linked with the BBC and F1, and still the perfect soundtrack for the sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2009/03/f1_editor_the_best_job_in_the.html

(Comment #15)

:D

ArrowsFA1
9th March 2009, 08:02
Direct from Andrew Benson, he of BBC sport...
Ahhhhhh, that's a relief :s mokin: :up:

Dave B
12th March 2009, 15:42
Here's the best hint yet at what we can expect from the interactive coverage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk13/images/446_featuref1.jpg

It looks as if there'll be two PIP streams: the onboard with the world feed in a smaller window and vice-versa.

F1 fans will be able to customise their viewing experience via the BBC Red Button, with access to all on-track sessions, including Friday and Saturday practice and qualifying.

On race day itself, a choice of three streams will be available featuring split-screen in-car camera feeds, leaderboards and rolling highlights, with the option to listen to either network or BBC Radio 5 Live commentary. After the end of each race on BBC One there will be an additional interactive programme analysing the weekend's events and picking up views from the paddock.

More details: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk13/redbutton_feature.shtml

:D

ArrowsFA1
12th March 2009, 16:46
Looking good :s mokin:

Mark
13th March 2009, 10:33
It says it's available on Sky and Freesat (thankfully I have both!!) but there is no mention of freeview or Virgin, unlike for the other sports mentioned on that page.

Dave B
13th March 2009, 10:42
It will be on both Virgin Media and Freeview. The only loss is that Freeview can support 2 interactive streams, so viewers will probably only get one onboard channel and the highlights on 301/302.

I'm ready to go now, having installed a spare Sky box and made room for another TV :D

Mark
13th March 2009, 10:44
It will be on both Virgin Media and Freeview. The only loss is that Freeview can support 2 interactive streams, so viewers will probably only get one onboard channel and the highlights on 301/302.

I'm ready to go now, having installed a spare Sky box and made room for another TV :D

I really need to get another TV in. After all I could run the main TV off our Freesat feed and use the Sky box to feed TV no. 2 :p . I somehow doubt it would go down well, mind :cool:

V12
13th March 2009, 11:43
Does anyone know if the BBC are planning to do an "F1 Night" on Saturday night/Sunday morning for Melbourne similar to what ITV did when they first got the coverage in 1997? (the only good point of their F1 coverage!)

Since the race has been inexplicably moved even later (better for the Australian fans I guess?), they'll have an extra couple of hours of Sunday morning to play with, and I think it would be great.

IIRC the ITV one had the Grand Prix movie, a review of the 1958 F1 season, and loads of other excellent and interesting programmes too

DazzlaF1
13th March 2009, 12:00
Does anyone know if the BBC are planning to do an "F1 Night" on Saturday night/Sunday morning for Melbourne similar to what ITV did when they first got the coverage in 1997? (the only good point of their F1 coverage!)

Since the race has been inexplicably moved even later (better for the Australian fans I guess?), they'll have an extra couple of hours of Sunday morning to play with, and I think it would be great.

IIRC the ITV one had the Grand Prix movie, a review of the 1958 F1 season, and loads of other excellent and interesting programmes too

I remember ITV did a week long preview of the 1999 season with an excellent series of programmes, i still have them on video

On the Tuesday night before Australia, they showed a one hour documentary which was basically a video diary of Jordan's 1998 season. Then on Wednesday, Murray Walkers Top 10 Drivers, that i thought was excellent. Then On thursday night they had their official season preview show from Barcelona.

I dont think the BBC will do anything similar but i have noticed a few pieces of achive footage on the BBC Sport website including Murray Walkers Great GP's.

One thing though im happy about that will return, Martin Brundle's grid walks

Dave B
13th March 2009, 15:31
If there was still any lingering doubt about The Chain, this snippet from Jake Humphrey's latest blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2009/03/excitement_builds_as_season_ap.html)should dispel it:

We shouldn't underestimate how much people are keen to have The Chain kicking off every Grand Prix. I watched the new opening titles resplendent with that tune this week - I wish I could reveal what they're like but if I did there may be someone else introducing the first race. They're great, though - fast-paced, slick and certainly very different to what's gone before.

LiamM
13th March 2009, 15:36
If there was still any lingering doubt about The Chain, this snippet from Jake Humphrey's latest blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2009/03/excitement_builds_as_season_ap.html)should dispel it:

I've seen BBC advertising for the new season with The Chain in the background too

wedge
16th March 2009, 00:14
That advert is absolutely terrible. I'd go far as to say its an insult. Whoever came up with that silly concept deserves to have a shoe thrown at them at the very least.

UltimateDanGTR
16th March 2009, 07:12
At least they had the chain at the end! I would say thats garunteement of the chain in the opening titles, especially coinciding with that snippet by Jake humphreys from Dave.

tsarcasm
17th March 2009, 00:26
Bring Forth "The Chain" makes me remember the good ol' days.

raikk
17th March 2009, 06:58
Any Canadians know if TSN will be using BBC feed?

wedge
24th March 2009, 11:14
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/03/classic_australian_gp_the_winn.html

Can't wait to watch the 86 race!

wedge
28th March 2009, 14:17
OMG!

How great is it now that we no longer have to put up with Mark 'points to the obvious' Blundell anymore.

DazzlaF1
28th March 2009, 16:05
OMG!

How great is it now that we no longer have to put up with Mark 'points to the obvious' Blundell anymore.

I agree, it was really a breath of fresh air.

At first glance, i found their coverage to be quite impressive, right from the classic base solo from "The Chain" (excellent intro by the way as well) to their pre-race/qualifying build up devoting more attention to the rest of the grid.

Tazio
28th March 2009, 16:12
I tried watching Speed TV for FP2, but had to switch to a BBC feed.
Peter Windsor wouldn't shut up about USGPE.
Then Steve Varsha assured me that they will be talking about it incessantly throughout the season
(not his exact words) F1 on Speed TV......"muerto"

VkmSpouge
28th March 2009, 17:07
I enjoyed the BBC's coverage of qualifying. They kept with a very similar format to that of ITV (pretty good in my opinion) but simply changed the presenters and pundits. It was so good to watch Formula 1 without commercial breaks!

Good fun to have red button coverage of the practice sessions too. It was great to wake up a little early on Friday and watch the last forty minutes of the the second practice before getting ready to go to work.

Lovely to have The Chain back.

christophulus
28th March 2009, 17:10
I enjoyed the BBC's coverage of qualifying. They kept with a very similar format to that of ITV (pretty good in my opinion) but simply changed the presenters and pundits. Good fun to have red button coverage of the practice sessions too. It was great to wake up a little early on Friday and watch the last forty minutes of the the second practice before getting ready to go to work.
Lovely to have The Chain back.

Agree with every word!

It was a bit rough around the edges this morning but in time that should subside. I was pleasantly surprised at how DC & EJ weren't as annoying as I thought they would be, Jake Wotsit was alright and Martin Brundle/Ted Kravitz were easily the best of the ITV bunch to bring over.

The only question mark for me is Legard but I'm sure once he switches out of radio-mode he'll grow on me.

Dave B
28th March 2009, 18:52
I'll cut'n'paste my post from a broadcasting forum :p

Real shame about the lack of onboards or interactive coverage when, on Sky at least, one screen was being wasted showing a replay of practice.

Legard was impressive, sounding calm and authoritative. He didn't really gel with Brundle, but it's early days.

Great idea having DC and EJ bantering, but someone really needs to tell EJ not to hold his microphone like he's at a bad karaoke!

Lee McKenzie seemed unsure whether Hamilton had scraped through to Q2, and completely missed her chance at a follow-up question. But again, early days.

Real shame that the last few minutes, including the press conference, seemed rushed. Hopefully the press conference will appear as a separate link on the website, or at least included in its entirety on the repeat.

Graphics are still annoying in the safe zone, but I appreciate that's down to FOM and not the BBC.

Overall I'd give the qualifying coverage 8/10. Far better than most of what ITV ever achieved, but definitely room for a little improvement.

donKey jote
28th March 2009, 21:33
BBC were definitely the better of the three coverages I watched, and better than ITV :up:

German RTL was boring and they sounded bored as usual.
Spanish La Sexta was nowhere near last year's Telecinco, but I guess they still have time to learn - maybe their football comentators could give them a hand :p :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

AndyL
28th March 2009, 22:46
My favourite bit of the BBC coverage so far: at the end of Q1, I found myself waiting for the ad break to start, and of course it didn't!

One unpleasant ITV habit that they seem to have picked up is the dismissive treatment of press conferences. On the live coverage we only got to hear Jenson's comments then they cut away to interview Richard Branson (who is undoubtedly newsworthy, bit we *do* want to hear the rest of the press conference!). Even in the replay this afternoon they only showed Jenson and Rubens, still omitting Vettel's interview.

wedge
29th March 2009, 00:12
On different forums Legard is now the new Cock.

There's something not quite right with Legard. With the likes of David Croft on 5live (who also commentates for Setanta with boxing), John Hindenhaugh or whatever it is on Radio Le Mans and domestic racing, Ben Edwards, you know you're hearing a commentary for motor racing, but with Legard it felt like the Grand National. Probably still stuck in radio mode.

EJ was great. Really need a range of opinions not sycophants, just like this forum needs the Tamburellos and Garry Walkers.

DazzlaF1
29th March 2009, 00:24
The intro, after 12 years, what a joy it is to finally hear The Chain again, makes me want to listen to some Fleetwood Mac now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7969481.stm

This i think is brilliant, they've gone away from ITV's treand of simply pasting a million images of Lewis Hamilton over Lift Me Up

grantb4
29th March 2009, 05:59
I didn't like EJ. He just sounds like he wants to argue for the sake of it.

Bruce D
29th March 2009, 06:01
Well from our side in SA it was much better. I thought the main commentary was miles better than James Allan and his total focus on firstly MS and then lately Hamilton. And it was so nice not to have breaks cos that meant they kept the commentary going, rather than cutting but to the three morons in our local studio who, to quote Maurice Hamilton, wouldn't know a camshaft if they fell down one.

Daniel
29th March 2009, 06:43
Well it seems really good so far :) Will have to get another box to plug my pc monitor into.

Sonic
29th March 2009, 07:36
Red button takes too long - given up and gone to the PC

christophulus
29th March 2009, 08:56
Press red now, there's an F1 Forum with plenty of highlights and punditry :)

AndyL
29th March 2009, 09:02
I didn't like EJ. He just sounds like he wants to argue for the sake of it.

He should join this forum.

Dave B
29th March 2009, 09:05
I loved my setup: big widescreen with the main feed, and a smaller 4:3 with the onboard, plus laptop for live timing!

There were a few rookie errors; EJ needs to calm down and Lee McKenzie needs watch some VTs of Louise Goodman; but overall it was a mighty fine effort for their first GP in 12 years, and wonderful to see how they took advantage of the technology available to them.

And NO AD BREAKS! :D

christophulus
29th March 2009, 09:16
I loved my setup: big widescreen with the main feed, and a smaller 4:3 with the onboard, plus laptop for live timing!

There were a few rookie errors; EJ needs to calm down and Lee McKenzie needs watch some VTs of Louise Goodman; but overall it was a mighty fine effort for their first GP in 12 years, and wonderful to see how they took advantage of the technology available to them.

And NO AD BREAKS! :D

I need another TV for the onboard :(

Fantastic job though. Forum on the red button and I'd imagine highlights throughout the day. Along with the practice coverage, classic GPs... if they doubled the licence fee next year it'd still be worth paying :D

Daniel
29th March 2009, 09:22
Forum is great :) I'm certainly thinking of getting a freesat box and hooking my nice big 24" monitor up to that so we can have incar and the main feed all at the same time. One question. Will the F1 ever be streamed?

71minus2
29th March 2009, 09:46
During quali i was all set to get up and make a brew in the ads before i remembered there would be no ads! EJ is a little bit too kiss arse for me, i reckon he and DC will have a right barney before much longer. DC has looked at him in a "WTF are you on about" manner a couple of times.

Other than that Brundles grid walk was great, commentary was good and thankfully no more James "stop the cock" Allen.

Dave B
29th March 2009, 09:48
In the post-race discussion on the red button, EJ needs a sock in his mouth. He's spoiling what was in every other respect a brilliant bit of television. :s

Daniel
29th March 2009, 09:51
In the post-race discussion on the red button, EJ needs a sock in his mouth. He's spoiling what was in every other respect a brilliant bit of television. :s
Just a bit. But that said it did make for interesting TV imo. I thought Coulthard was right in backing Vettel's apology :up: Vettel lost nothing through it and probably only gained respect.....

christophulus
29th March 2009, 09:52
One question. Will the F1 ever be streamed?

Might have misunderstood what you're asking but it's streamed on the BBC F1 page for UK viewers.

AndyL
29th March 2009, 09:56
I actually enjoyed the arguments between DC and EJ, I thought they were fun! Especially the debate about Vettel's apparent apology to Mario Thiessen... DC saying it was a smart bit of diplomacy, then EJ coming straight back with "no, it's a sign of weakness" :)

TMorel
29th March 2009, 10:03
Damn it's gonna cost me a fortune getting a couple of extra TV's, but it'll be worth it!
Good coverage, really enjoyed the forum afterwards, still not changed my opinion of EJ but I was pleasently surprised with DC.

A fairly balanced approach to the British drivers, was expecting more fake excuses for Lewis and fawning over Jenson, but they kept it to an acceptable level.

I actually jumped up a couple of times for toilet/coffee breaks expecting it to go to commercials - could get used to this :)

The only thing that spoilt the coverage was that I didn't have to get up at 4am to watch it!

woody2goody
29th March 2009, 11:00
I thought the whole coverage was great. Jake Humphrey was very capable, Coulthard was very good too. Eddie Jordan? Well, I'm not sure really. He needs to know when to be quiet but he has some interesting views.

The forum was excellent. A whole hour of interviews and analysis is fantastic. I enjoyed the interview with Vijay Mallya, they didn't go on about Hamilton, they rightly praised his performance today, which was great, and I agree with DC about Vettel.

Young Seb number one :) is friends with Mario Thiessen, probably Robert Kubica as well, and there's no point losing friendships over something like that. Webber and Vettel get on ok despite their coming together in Fuji 07.

To say that it's a weakness is stupid on Jordan's part. There is no way in hell that Vettel will not fight Robert next time they come across each other on the track.

Triumph
29th March 2009, 11:19
I think the new BBC F1 presentation line-up is good. I'm glad that they got Martin Brundle. Good to see that Ted Kravitz is still down in the pit lane too.

Jonathan Legard is good but I'm not sure that his style goes well with that of Martin Brundle.

Really glad that James Allen has disappeared though. That was my greatest wish for the BBC line-up.

m.lowe
29th March 2009, 11:22
The coverage was good, for some reason I kept expecting ad breaks lol.

I like the EJ DC debate as Eddie says it how it is where old square chin dances around it.
I just hope DC dosn't go on in every race about when he was a driver
Get over it now David your on the tele and not racing now

Well done to the BBC

Ranger
29th March 2009, 11:29
Really glad that James Allen has disappeared though. That was my greatest wish for the BBC line-up.

He should be back in the pitlane I think.

Not a great commentator but he was better than Kravitz in the roving pitlane reporter role and his blogs are excellent.

gofasterstripes
29th March 2009, 11:30
Overall very good. Also found myself waiting for ad breaks to make a cup of tea!
If i was going to be picky for me Legard just talked a bit too much. Maybe coming from radio gives a tendency to leave no dead air and try to describe absolutely everything that's happening but at least he is knowledgeable which is the most important thing.

christophulus
29th March 2009, 11:32
He should be back in the pitlane I think.

Not a great commentator but he was better than Kravitz in the roving pitlane reporter role and his blogs are excellent.

I've been really impressed with his blogs, he certainly knows his stuff but as a commentator he was really poor. Overall a great first attempt from the BBC

BDunnell
29th March 2009, 12:15
I was very impressed. A few more detailed comments:

Jake Humphrey did a very capable job, but I feel he is probably still over-compensating for maybe being seen in some quarters as a children's presenter. He seemed to be trying very hard to be serious and 'proper', and came over as a little stilted as a result. I'm sure he will become very good given a short time, though.

Lee McKenzie really didn't impress me at all, not that she had much chance to. Again, probably 'first time' nerves. Ted Kravitz is very good, though, I think.

Jonathan Legard seems like an excellent choice as main commentator, though he is maybe a little verbose. I'd probably put this down to his transfer straight from radio, as of course a radio commentator has to say more in order to 'paint the pictures' than a TV equivalent. Martin Brundle was really excellent as ever, and I reckon the pairing with Legard will gel pretty quickly.

I didn't watch the post-race discussion with EJ and DC; from what we saw pre-race, maybe Jordan is a bit 'excitable', shall we say, but this is surely why he's been employed. Coulthard is exactly as good as I thought he'd be — articulate and reasoned.

All in all, a great start by the BBC, and I'm impressed how quickly the coverage has hit the spot.

71minus2
29th March 2009, 12:25
I was very impressed. A few more detailed comments:

Jake Humphrey did a very capable job, but I feel he is probably still over-compensating for maybe being seen in some quarters as a children's presenter. He seemed to be trying very hard to be serious and 'proper', and came over as a little stilted as a result. I'm sure he will become very good given a short time, though.

Lee McKenzie really didn't impress me at all, not that she had much chance to. Again, probably 'first time' nerves. Ted Kravitz is very good, though, I think.

Jonathan Legard seems like an excellent choice as main commentator, though he is maybe a little verbose. I'd probably put this down to his transfer straight from radio, as of course a radio commentator has to say more in order to 'paint the pictures' than a TV equivalent. Martin Brundle was really excellent as ever, and I reckon the pairing with Legard will gel pretty quickly.

I didn't watch the post-race discussion with EJ and DC; from what we saw pre-race, maybe Jordan is a bit 'excitable', shall we say, but this is surely why he's been employed. Coulthard is exactly as good as I thought he'd be — articulate and reasoned.

All in all, a great start by the BBC, and I'm impressed how quickly the coverage has hit the spot.

I didn't know Jake Humphrey did kids TV! lol.

Lee Mckenzie has plenty of experience with Sky Sports as she was the pit reported for their A1GP coverage.

I agree totally with your comments regarding Legard. I liked the extra information he gave think that sometimes he went on a bit too much. Saying that, it must he difficult to adapt to TV when a majority of your experience is radio. I'm sure this will change through the year.

BDunnell
29th March 2009, 12:35
I agree totally with your comments regarding Legard. I liked the extra information he gave think that sometimes he went on a bit too much. Saying that, it must he difficult to adapt to TV when a majority of your experience is radio. I'm sure this will change through the year.

So am I, because he's a really professional sports broadcaster.

Daniel
29th March 2009, 13:26

I agreed. He was a bit radio like. As always Brundle was excellent :)

Giuseppe F1
29th March 2009, 13:28
Did anyone else watch the post-race BBC Highlights/Forum show when Mallya joing the panel?

....was it just me who thought he looked like some kind of Ghetto pimp chav in his tracksuit, shiny gold Force India cap and ear-ring? :)

Dave B
29th March 2009, 13:30
Did anyone else watch the post-race BBC Highlights/Forum show when Mallya joing the panel?

....was it just me who thought he looked like some kind of Ghetto pimp chav in his tracksuit, shiny gold Force India cap and ear-ring? :)
He's been taking lessons on bling from Colin Kolles.

VkmSpouge
29th March 2009, 13:37
Very good F1 coverage from the BBC. I enjoyed Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle's commentary. Clearly they need a bit of time to gel but pretty good. I had to go to sleep instead of watching the red button coverage post-race so I'll be interested in watching that for Malaysia.

No commercial breaks! :D

Dave B
29th March 2009, 13:51
I'm listening to the replay with different audio, just for a change. The CBBC commentary is actually pretty good, with the Old Stig explaining the technical aspects for kids (and beginners!).

There's even a choice of no commentary, just the track sound. I'd have given my right arm for that last year!

SilverArrows
29th March 2009, 14:11
I thought the BBC coverage was very good overall, more in depth than ITV. The JH/DC/EJ combo worked well and that forum show on BBCi after the race was great. Martin Brundle was as good as ever, so was Ted Kravitz.

Just two criticisms - Jonathan Legard's commentary. I don't know he just sounded dull and boring and he was hard to understand at the start of the race and when Piquet spun out. I also thought Lee McKenzie asked some really daft questions and sounded like she didn't want to be there.

They'll probably grow on me throughout the year, though.

ArrowsFA1
29th March 2009, 14:46
Good first race for the BBC I thought. 'The Chain' just seemed so right :cool:

A few comments. EJ didn't seem fully comfortable, but I guess he'll improve as time goes on. DC was excellent - knowledgeable and informative. Sometimes it seemed as if EJ was looking for points to disagree with DC on! Jake was much better than I thought he'd be when they announced him as the anchor man, and I'm sure he'll grow into the role even more.

Lee & Ted did well in the pits. They have little time to get info across and I think they did it perfectly well.

I'd still prefer Crofty as the main commentator, but JL did ok, and Martin was his usual assured self

The forum after the race was good too. A worthwhile addition, although they need to read out more emails to make it interactive!!

Jake Stephens
29th March 2009, 15:35
Is it just me or does Legard sound like the guy from Fonejacker? I dont like Legard's commentary style, kept pronouncing Barrichello's name different every few minutes too.

Somebody
29th March 2009, 15:35
I only watched the rerun, which was more-or-less just the race (there was a short summary of qualifying beforehand, then straight to the five-minute signal, and then a couple of talking heads and Jake Humphrey saying that Trulli had been de facto DQed). Mostly okay, but there seemed a few moments where Legard & Brundle missed something significant that was going on - Rosberg's pit stop being a notable one, where the fuel hose was off and they were still talking about how long they were spending fuelling the car!)

[And, while I know it wasn't in the BBC's gift, some of what the director missed was fairly shocking...]

There's even a choice of no commentary, just the track sound. I'd have given my right arm for that last year!

I've just stuck the replay on with no commentary to try it out (although you still get the "Team Radio", which is burned into the soundtrack). It's oddly soporific, actually.

wedge
29th March 2009, 15:40
Croftie and Ant was so much better. It's like listening to Radio Le Mans - banter mixed in with serious stuff. Maurice Hamilton needs to in there as well on race day. I'll be using them most of the season.

When I did catch moments on BBC1 Lee McKenzie came across as lost, jet-lagged and didn't know what planet she was in. Shame, she was excellent on Speed Sunday a few years ago.

BTCC Fan#1
29th March 2009, 15:56
Was it just me or do DC and Eddie Jordan really not seem to like each other..? :s

Drew
29th March 2009, 16:29
I only saw the highlights programme! But I have to say it was a great race to see and great not having to cringe at anything JA had to say about.. anything. I think Legard was good but I'm sure he'll definitely get better as the season goes on, shame i'm not in the country for most of the season :rotflmao:

BDunnell
29th March 2009, 17:56
Jonathan Legard's comment at the end about Brawn's job losses interested me — the team has just released further details of this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7970826.stm

J4MIE
29th March 2009, 19:39
Thought coverage was good but having one or more of them covered in one another's shadows wasn't great, they did go inside but came out again :s

Also seems like Richard B doesn't really have any experiance of F1 and seemed surprised at the noise :s

SteveA
29th March 2009, 22:15
I thought the Beeb coverage was great, however, I found EJ a little annoying. He didn't wait for his cues, and even carried on talking about subjects after the rest of the team had moved on to something else!

My interest in the multi-screens (via Sky) lasted about 10 mins. The fact that being in interactive mode means that I can't pause or wind back is actually a bit of a disadvantage, so I don't think I'll bother with it for the rest of the year.

But its a great start, and I'm sure the BBC will have it perfect within the next few GPs.

jonny hurlock
29th March 2009, 22:50

the team should be called by vjm looks in the bbc forum show: force pimp f1 team,

overall I felt the bbc done a brilliant job overall imo, the people who didn't really felt eddie done a bad job, imo he done a good job, he really spoke his mind quite well on an opinions such as on drivers and kers so forth,

only thing it was missing chain music for the end credits imo, overall an A plus.

aryan
29th March 2009, 23:30
I really only care about the main commentary, and I thought the Brundle and Leggard combination was awesome.

Yes, Leggard was verbose, but intelligible all the while. My patner who was watching the race with me commented at the start of the race that it takes great skill to talk that fast while still being understood. And, he knows the sport, he is knowledgable, he is good.

Brundle, as good as always.

The others, I don't care really!

I am evil Homer
30th March 2009, 09:43
I thought Legard was horrific...he's still in radio mode - I don't need to know everything I can see it for myself. I hope he gets better but on that showing I almost missed that chump from last year.

Mark
30th March 2009, 09:46
I thought Legard was horrific...he's still in radio mode - I don't need to know everything I can see it for myself. I hope he gets better but on that showing I almost missed that chump from last year.

He wasn't too bad, but you're right, he's still doing radio commentary, it'll take him a while to get out of that.

Other than that I thought the BBC coverage was outstanding :)

PolePosition_1
30th March 2009, 11:52
I was actually worried about the BBC taking over, because despite majority dislike for ITV coverage, I always found it to be very good, apart from the in race adverts obviously.

But BBC impressed me. The website is excellent albeit Autosport seem to provide more up to date news.

And the coverage was wide ranging, not focusing merely on Lewis. And then we also have the interactive service. In the run up to the race, we had highlights from previous races over the years. And also Inside F1, a topical show previewing the race. And post race analysis was greatly extended on interactive which was excellent.

It catered for the casual viewer, in providing basic coverage, and for the hardcore fan, through the interactive services.

All in all - well done.

Only let down was the new intro, I'd have much preferred real footage rather than what they used. There were better amatuer ones on youtube.

Mark
30th March 2009, 11:56
Only let down was the new intro, I'd have much preferred real footage rather than what they used. There were better amatuer ones on youtube.

I thought it was quite well done. Symbolising F1 as one car which then splits up to compete, whilst driving through each of the circuits en-route, quite clever.

Anyone notice they did re-cut the chain ever so slightly. In the title sequence it goes on for slightly longer than the version Fleetwood Mac recorded. On the old coverage it would get to "yeah..." and it would fade out, but they've cut the vocals completely now.

Karen, downloaded 'the chain' for me as a present at the weekend :) . Now if I could get it to play that theme every time I started my car ;)

Dave B
30th March 2009, 11:59
Download this as a present in return ;)
www.btccinfo.co.uk/forum/murray2.mp3 (http://www.btccinfo.co.uk/forum/murray2.mp3)

acescribe
30th March 2009, 12:27
He wasn't too bad, but you're right, he's still doing radio commentary, it'll take him a while to get out of that.

Other than that I thought the BBC coverage was outstanding :)

Yes, to my knowledge that was Jonathan Legard's first television broadcast, it is different to the radio where he has worked on both F1 and Football and so it is easy to stay in the same mode - its but he is a professional and will get over that I'm sure.

Otherwise I thought it was great coverage apart from that I do miss Steve Rider though, and Jake Humphrey could do with losing the clipboard.

Mark
30th March 2009, 12:52
Graphics are still annoying in the safe zone, but I appreciate that's down to FOM and not the BBC..

Well; I've read on digitalspy that Premier in Germany is getting a feed where the graphics are properly laid out for 16:9. So presumably the BBC could get this feed too if it so desired.

Of course once we go to HD it's not an issue as all HD TV's are 16:9.

AndyRAC
30th March 2009, 12:54
Legard is okay - he is used to working on Radio, and was the BBC's first and up until now - Motorsport correspondent.

A shame there is no 'Grand Prix' highlights show on at 9ish on BBC2.

Dave B
30th March 2009, 13:47
Well; I've read on digitalspy that Premier in Germany is getting a feed where the graphics are properly laid out for 16:9. So presumably the BBC could get this feed too if it so desired.

Of course once we go to HD it's not an issue as all HD TV's are 16:9.

The BBC did this last year with the clock on News 24 (as was) moving outside the safe zone, and the amount of complaints they got - from people who didn't know better - forced them to move it back.

Even when it's on HD, there'll still be a few morons watching a stretched 4:3 picture via a SCART cable or RF lead who will complain if the graphics are lopped off :\

Dave B
31st March 2009, 09:00
:rotflmao:

This James Allen petition is hilarious, some of the comments border on the libelous so read it before it gets taken down!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ja842563&1

Mark
31st March 2009, 09:08
Brilliant!

AndyRAC
31st March 2009, 09:12
I didn't rate James Allen as a commentator, however, he is extremely knowledgable about the sport - and was always good as a pit lane reporter. He does get a lot of flack - some of it undeserved.

Dave B
31st March 2009, 09:17
I didn't rate James Allen as a commentator, however, he is extremely knowledgable about the sport - and was always good as a pit lane reporter. He does get a lot of flack - some of it undeserved.
Absolutely, and in fact as I've mentioned several times his blog is excellent. Some people are unlucky that they don't have a good voice or intonation for public speaking, and unfortunately for James he's one of them. As a journalist he's right up with the best of them.

wedge
31st March 2009, 11:12

Not a great orator but certainly he was good technically. He had an instant rapport with Damon Hill and Ant at the Hungarian GPs, knew when to shut up and let the other talk and ably filled dead air. Saying that, in the early days there was a sense Brundle didn't feel comfortable being partnered with Allen.

woody2goody
31st March 2009, 18:05
I enjoyed the fact that they conducted group interviews, for example on the Forum and the one they did with Ross Brawn before qualifying.

On Legard, well I always think that great commentary is something you can choose to listen to if you want to. As in he's not all in your face like James Allen was, while remaining enthusiastic. I was impressed with him, and also I felt that his relationship with Martin Brundle improved a lot during the weekend.

Also he has a good speaking voice which IMO provides more authority than Allen did.

A lot of people have said he was still in Radio mode. This is true to an extent, but in a way it can be a good thing, because he does decribe a lot of things very well.

All in all a great start. The coverage really brought the atmosphere of F1 to the living room and I hope it continues on in the same vein.

BDunnell
31st March 2009, 18:50
Yes, to my knowledge that was Jonathan Legard's first television broadcast, it is different to the radio where he has worked on both F1 and Football and so it is easy to stay in the same mode - its but he is a professional and will get over that I'm sure.

I believe you are right about it being his first time on television.

Have always been intrigued as to why Jonathan Legard suddenly stopped being the radio commentator in (I think) 2005 with a couple of races to go, thus forcing 5 Live to use the woefully unsuitable Maurice Hamilton as main commentator — he's fine as an analyst, but no more, as that brief stint as the number one proved! But I digress.

31st March 2009, 18:54
At one point I actually wanted an advert break.....but only so I could go for a cigarette knowing I wasn't missing anything....then I remembered that I quit smoking the week before anyway.

woody2goody
31st March 2009, 20:02
At one point I actually wanted an advert break.....but only so I could go for a cigarette knowing I wasn't missing anything....then I remembered that I quit smoking the week before anyway.

You have to choose wisely when to go to the toilet now as well lol!

BDunnell
31st March 2009, 21:58

Likewise, every time the commentators went quiet, or ran through the race positions, I thought I was about to have time for a piss.

wedge
1st April 2009, 00:05
Also he has a good speaking voice which IMO provides more authority than Allen did.

I found him too authoritative and lacked enthusiasm.
It sounded more like reporting than commentary - which is where Legard's strengths lie because he was a brilliant reporter for 5live.

He sounded way too serious at the end of the qualy segments for my liking. I'm not saying he should be shouting and screaming with ecstacy but with the likes of Hindy, Murray, Ben Edwards, Martin Haven you know there's genuine and affectionate enthusiasm and I never quite got that feeling from Legard.

Mark
1st April 2009, 08:01
Likewise, every time the commentators went quiet, or ran through the race positions, I thought I was about to have time for a piss.

Quite difficult to get out of that mindset. For 12 years in F1 whenever the commentators ran through the positions it meant that they were going to adverts. But now they just keep going.

Must have been a bit of a shock for Brundle too, all his commentating career he's been able to have a 3 minute break every 15 minutes or so, not any more!

BDunnell
1st April 2009, 09:53
I found him too authoritative and lacked enthusiasm.
It sounded more like reporting than commentary - which is where Legard's strengths lie because he was a brilliant reporter for 5live.

He sounded way too serious at the end of the qualy segments for my liking. I'm not saying he should be shouting and screaming with ecstacy but with the likes of Hindy, Murray, Ben Edwards, Martin Haven you know there's genuine and affectionate enthusiasm and I never quite got that feeling from Legard.

I don't think it should be deemed possible for anybody to be 'too authoritative'.

stevie_gerrard
1st April 2009, 10:44
I honestly thought Jonathan and Martin did a great job for the first race, It was always gonna be difficult having a new partnership, but they seemed to get on quite well, and seemed to be very responsive to each other.

A big thumbs up for Jake as well, he got a lot of stick for doing this before he started, and i thought he was very assured and did a good job on his debut.

Am i the only one who thought that EJ was a brilliant idea to be part of the team? :p : he does have some controversial ideas but that surely spices up the debate. It certianly did on the forum after the race. Great viewing.

Knock-on
1st April 2009, 11:02
:rotflmao:

This James Allen petition is hilarious, some of the comments border on the libelous so read it before it gets taken down!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ja842563&1

I couldn't resist :D

Absolutely, and in fact as I've mentioned several times his blog is excellent. Some people are unlucky that they don't have a good voice or intonation for public speaking, and unfortunately for James he's one of them. As a journalist he's right up with the best of them.

He's got a good face for radio and a perfect voice for print.

However, saying that, when he does do what he does best, i.e. written articles, he is one of the best. I have always enjoyed reading his insightful and informed works.

It's just when I see his mug and hear his voice on the box my blood boils and insults get hurled at the TV :laugh:

I really enjoyed the weekends commentry and think the team is well balanced and will do very well.

AndyRAC
1st April 2009, 11:25
I honestly thought Jonathan and Martin did a great job for the first race, It was always gonna be difficult having a new partnership, but they seemed to get on quite well, and seemed to be very responsive to each other.

A big thumbs up for Jake as well, he got a lot of stick for doing this before he started, and i thought he was very assured and did a good job on his debut.

Am i the only one who thought that EJ was a brilliant idea to be part of the team? :p : he does have some controversial ideas but that surely spices up the debate. It certianly did on the forum after the race. Great viewing.

For it to be a true forum they need more e-mails read out -I think there was only 1 read out.

wedge
1st April 2009, 11:55
Must have been a bit of a shock for Brundle too, all his commentating career he's been able to have a 3 minute break every 15 minutes or so, not any more!

No it wasn't. ITV carried on commentating when the Brits went to break because the ITV commentary was syndicated around the world.

AndyL
4th April 2009, 13:50
No it wasn't. ITV carried on commentating when the Brits went to break because the ITV commentary was syndicated around the world.

I wish Speed TV in the US did the same thing... when Motors TV in the UK used the Speed TV coverage of AMA Superbikes, the Speed TV commentators would go quiet every few minutes leaving the Motors TV continuity announcer to attempt to fill the gap... very weird.

Simmi
4th April 2009, 14:05
Eddie Jordan is slowly but surely starting to get on my nerves...