PDA

View Full Version : BBC Coverage

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

aryan
26th June 2012, 23:55
Allen has said in his website that he will be back for Silverstone.

wedge
27th June 2012, 11:43
If you have a good ear and especially if you're a local, Gary Anderson kinda has a muddled accent! Northern Irish-Northamptonshire accent. The way he pronounces Vettel is prominent. Its exactly how we would say 'kettle' for instance. We're lazy prouncing 't's' and more emphasis on the phonetic sound that proceeds it.

Gary works best pre and post race. Quite frankly you don't need fancy presentation. A pen and paper is perfectly suffice, after all they say ideas come from scrap paper and empty fag packets.

Bezza
27th June 2012, 12:22
Where has Damon Hill disappeared to off Sky's coverage?

I don't believe he has been around since the Spanish Grand Prix.

Anybody an idea??!

rjbetty
27th June 2012, 17:49
Where has Damon Hill disappeared to off Sky's coverage?

I don't believe he has been around since the Spanish Grand Prix.

Anybody an idea??!

There must be a consipracy to abduct British F1 Broadcasters! Find James Allen and we find Damon Hill!

52Paddy
27th June 2012, 22:07
I quite agree Paddy but I think the Beeb are likely to lose all of its 'live' rights in the next couple of years.

That would be a shame.

tfp
27th June 2012, 23:09
How many will give up watching if the BBC lose its rights? How can bernie think its a good move to have fewer followers??

aryan
28th June 2012, 05:31
I find this astonishing, drop Gary Anderson???!!! Are you winding us all up? :p

He's probably one of the BBC's best assets in comparison with Sky. I suggest you watch any of the previous programmes and witness his strategy calls for the team and observe how often he gets it right.

Doesn't matter how many times he gets it right if I don't understand a bloody thing that comes out of his mouth. For all I know, he can be the personification of Stirling Moss and Rory Byrne in one body but that is of no use to me if I don't understand a word of what he says! And I don't think it's just the Irish accent. I work with an Irishwoman everyday, I grew up watching documentaries and movies about the conflict so I was exposed to the Irish accent from both sides from a very young age. But Garry's speech is something else... I think African-American rappers in New Orleans pronounce more of the letters in their words than him!

For the record, my girlfriend (an Aussie) watched the BBC coverage with me, and she couldn't make any sense of what he was talking about. I really doubt anyone outside UK would be able to understand many of his sentences.

Which makes me wonder, do any overseas broadcasters still carry the BBC feed? Or have they all switched to Sky? I know that in Australia, Network Ten has switched to Sky but I think the BBC commentary (and prior to that, the ITV commentary) was carried in many other countries as well.

Mark
28th June 2012, 08:28
Gary is good for post race analysis and the forum, but he's no good as a pit lane reporter.

52Paddy
30th June 2012, 14:07
Doesn't matter how many times he gets it right if I don't understand a bloody thing that comes out of his mouth. For all I know, he can be the personification of Stirling Moss and Rory Byrne in one body but that is of no use to me if I don't understand a word of what he says! And I don't think it's just the Irish accent. I work with an Irishwoman everyday, I grew up watching documentaries and movies about the conflict so I was exposed to the Irish accent from both sides from a very young age. But Garry's speech is something else... I think African-American rappers in New Orleans pronounce more of the letters in their words than him!

For the record, my girlfriend (an Aussie) watched the BBC coverage with me, and she couldn't make any sense of what he was talking about. I really doubt anyone outside UK would be able to understand many of his sentences.

Which makes me wonder, do any overseas broadcasters still carry the BBC feed? Or have they all switched to Sky? I know that in Australia, Network Ten has switched to Sky but I think the BBC commentary (and prior to that, the ITV commentary) was carried in many other countries as well.

Firstly, as an Irishman, I will say that Gary's accent is particularly difficult to understand at times if you can't catch all of the nuances of the dialect. However, I think most people can catch what he is saying. It's not like a foreign person speaking in broken English.

Secondly, for what it's worth, Setanta Sports use the BBC feed for their showing of the races. But they only use the race commentary i.e. the programme doesn't include the BBC's pre-race show and, during qualifying sessions, the break between Q1, Q2 and Q3 does not include the analysis from the BBC presenters. We just get on-track and pitlane shots with ambient noise.

52Paddy
30th June 2012, 14:09
Gary is good for post race analysis and the forum, but he's no good as a pit lane reporter.

I disagree. I think he's suited to the pitlane. The biggest problem I have is his location. I wish the directors could come to some kind of compromise with regard to where they station Gary. It seems that every time Ben and David ask him for analysis or updates during the race, a stream of cars come racing down the straight and he gets drowned out. Yet, when there are no cars passing, he's crystal clear.

Dave B
2nd July 2012, 19:22
But Sky don't have Adrian Chiles scaring viewers away!

steveaki13
4th July 2012, 23:23
Well the BBC pulled in on average 13m viewers for the final of Euro 2012 last night. I think that sends out a clear message to Bernie and Sky that the Beeb have the power to bring the sport to more viewers than they would like to admit. When Sky are struggling to average 800k a race and lower when the Beeb share the coverage, this type of viewing power will not got unnoticed by some in the sport and Bernie's statements about Sky being the best option for the sport just fall apart when viewed with logic.

Euro 2012 final: Spain's win watched by more than 13m on BBC1 | TV ratings - 1 July | Media | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/02/euro-2012-spain-win?CMP=twt_fd)

Yes but the Beeb dont have Bernie's wonga... ;)

Dave B
5th July 2012, 10:14
Yes but the Beeb dont have Bernie's wonga... ;)
Bob Diamond aside, who does?

Mark
6th July 2012, 17:54
Note that the buildup for Silverstone is on BBC1 / BBC1 HD but the race and post race is on BBC2 / BBC HD

Mark
6th July 2012, 20:19
Heh. But it's important if setting it to record. Just recording the buildup and missing the race would be rather rage inducing!

steveaki13
6th July 2012, 21:17
Note that the buildup for Silverstone is on BBC1 / BBC1 HD but the race and post race is on BBC2 / BBC HD

The best sport in the World is being moved to BBC 2 for what? For some grumpy Scot that is going to whack a little ball over a net. Grrr.....

Mark
7th July 2012, 08:53
The fact it's on BBC2 doesn't matter. It's a channel number. The separation of buildup and race is just odd.

AndyRAC
7th July 2012, 11:21
The best sport in the World is being moved to BBC 2 for what? For some grumpy Scot that is going to whack a little ball over a net. Grrr.....

Ah, but remember, the Beeb signed a new contract with Wimbledon last year, and later gave up their exclusive F1 rights. We know we're their priorities are? At least it's on BBC2, last weeks MotoGP was shifted to the Red button......with tennis both on BBC1/2.

Dave B
7th July 2012, 12:46
It's weird that in this multichannel age channel numbers still matter to a lot of people, but the simple fact is that programmes get better ratings on BBC1 than if they were on BBC2.The Murray match is the final of a tournament, so I guess it's only natural that it takes precedence over "just" another round of a championship, even if it is the home race. I'll be watching both, anyway! :p

Dave B
7th July 2012, 13:00
I was watching the Beeb's coverage until the Force India factory tour, EJ made me turn over and I found myself enjoying a great discussion between Hill and Herbert.

Mind you, Sky then ran a puff-piece for Santander so I changed back! Swings and roundabouts.

Both screens on now for qualifying, and wow it's a busy pitlane!

steveaki13
7th July 2012, 14:28
Well EJ just said 'b0lloking' on the Beeb, can't get better than that :p

Heads would roll at Sky.

Fantastic. I thought he was controlling himself to well last year.

Dave B
7th July 2012, 14:29
Well EJ just said 'b0lloking' on the Beeb, can't get better than that :p

Heads would roll at Sky.
More likely to get a complaint from some busybody if you're on the Beeb - at least nobody would be watching on Sky!

steveaki13
7th July 2012, 14:31
Meanwhile Sky can't get an umbrella to work and are attacking Niki Lauda

Dave B
7th July 2012, 14:51
Meanwhile Sky can't get an umbrella to work and are attacking Niki Lauda
Golden moment earlier, Allan McNish was describing wet weather driving to Georgie and told her "you try it when you're driving home on the M1 tonight". Bless him, he doesn't know... HIC :beer:

Dave B
7th July 2012, 18:58
Exceptional circumstances, of course, but today's downpour shows the value of Sky having a whole channel for F1. They stuck around for plenty of analysis and interviews unlike the Beeb who had to rush away, partly due to some girls having a knockabout to make sure Centre Court is ready for the proper match tomorrow :p

steveaki13
7th July 2012, 21:07
Exceptional circumstances, of course, but today's downpour shows the value of Sky having a whole channel for F1. They stuck around for plenty of analysis and interviews unlike the Beeb who had to rush away, partly due to some girls having a knockabout to make sure Centre Court is ready for the proper match tomorrow :p

When you say proper match..... :p :

christophulus
7th July 2012, 22:10
To be fair, the BBC stuck with it until the end. And they can pad better than anyone else, I imagine they're basically told to wander around and see what's going on which always makes for watchable telly!

baker
7th July 2012, 22:13
Well done BBC for continuing to broadcast during the red flag period in Q2 despite not having a dedicated F1 channel.

A good job of "keeping the show on the road" in trying circumstances.

wedge
8th July 2012, 12:51
I think they should let EJ do the gridwalk. DC is a lame duck all by himself.

steveaki13
8th July 2012, 14:02
Nice moment when DC and Martin Brundle bumped into each other.

They should have interviewed each other

Mark
8th July 2012, 14:12
As I said I think it was rather cold and quick. Why not stop and discuss the race for a minute?

Dave B
8th July 2012, 15:53
Great post-race forum from the Beeb. EJ playing drums on The Chain and a momumental cheer for Murray Walker from the crowd at the concert.

christophulus
8th July 2012, 16:26
Great post-race forum from the Beeb. EJ playing drums on The Chain and a momumental cheer for Murray Walker from the crowd at the concert.

It's brilliant, very laid back.

I've not watched any of Sky F1 so far, and if this standard keeps up I have no intention of doing so!

rjbetty
8th July 2012, 22:52
Nice moment when DC and Martin Brundle bumped into each other.

They should have interviewed each other

Oh I MISSED it! I had a strange feeling that that was going to happen today, and wanted to see how it would go down.

steveaki13
8th July 2012, 23:02
Oh I MISSED it! I had a strange feeling that that was going to happen today, and wanted to see how it would go down.

Your wish.....

From both angles as Martin and David meet in a clash of Grid walks. Have to say Martin seemed more relaxed at seeing his old mate, while DC seemed keen not to acknowledge Sky.
Martin and David bump into each other on their grid walk - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVZqDlokhI)

rjbetty
8th July 2012, 23:08
Your wish.....

From both angles as Martin and David meet in a clash of Grid walks. Have to say Martin seemed more relaxed at seeing his old mate, while DC seemed keen not to acknowledge Sky.
Martin and David bump into each other on their grid walk - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVZqDlokhI)

Oh thank you! Yeah I noticed too. Martin was very chirpy. I would have expected Martin to be the grumpy one and DC to be warm and friendly. Yeah it would have been great to see them stop and chat a bit - the the BBC and Sky bosses would go mental I expect.

steveaki13
8th July 2012, 23:14
They have been and still are away from TV I assume very close friends, so you can't just put that aside because you are working for different companies.

As much as some around make out Sky to be the wrong direction for F1. Which it probably is (It would be best if it had stayed as it was last year on BBC), but the people working for Sky and BBC are all the same. I see cold attitudes on here sometimes towards Brundle and others on Sky. But really they are all members of the F1 family. And probably all get along well off screen. I like to think so anyway. As Brundle has know DC & EJ to long to let TV issues get in the way.

rjbetty
8th July 2012, 23:21
Yeah I agree. I don't hold anything against Brundle at all. The way I see it, he said he is passionate about making great TV. He was known to be very disappointed with the decisions last year and was probably unhappy with the BBC. From his point of view, Sky came to him offering a dedicated F1 channel, while it could be maybe rightly said that the BBC have not shown commitment to F1, even though they're going through hard times. So as a passionate broadcaster, I believe Brundle when he says his motives are that he wants to make great TV, and he didn't believe the BBC could offer him that. The offer of a dedicated F1 channel at Sky would have been too good to miss.

I believe the BBC and Bernie are the ones who sold out, not Brundle.

And yes, he is being paid £1M by sky, but I expect he sees that as a bonus. :)

rjbetty
8th July 2012, 23:34
Yeah I agree. I don't hold anything against Brundle at all. The way I see it, he said he is passionate about making great TV. He was known to be very disappointed with the decisions last year and was probably unhappy with the BBC. From his point of view, Sky came to him offering a dedicated F1 channel, while it could be maybe rightly said that the BBC have not shown commitment to F1, even though they're going through hard times. So as a passionate broadcaster, I believe Brundle when he says his motives are that he wants to make great TV, and he didn't believe the BBC could offer him that. The offer of a dedicated F1 channel at Sky would have been too good to miss.

I believe the BBC (though I sympathise with their situation so only apportion a little to them) and most of all Bernie are the ones who sold out, not Brundle.

And yes, he is being paid £1M by sky, but I expect he sees that as a bonus. :)

Aw a double post :(

Dave B
9th July 2012, 08:26
I can't say I'm bothered by the supposed inferior sound on the BBC if I'm honest. I can hear the commentators fine over the faint sound of engines. I watched the Bahrain race on sky using a friend's tv, and barely noticed the difference.
There's no "supposed" about it - here's one small example of the difference in sound quality from the British GP. When Alonso got past Hamilton but the Brit almost pulled off the re-pass, the sound of the crowd going wild sounded incredible on Sky's coverage. Not quite the same as being there, obviously, but pretty awesome all the same. I watched the highlights later on the BBC and their stereo mixdown completely failed to capture the moment with anything like the realism. I wonder if it's the Joni Mitchell effect - you don't realise what you're missing until it's not there anymore.

I can't fathom why the BBC don't use Dolby Digital. Their broadcast chain obviously supports it, and the sound quality from Centre Court yesterday was an example of how to get it perfectly right. FOM can obviously provide it as they do to Sky and many overseas broadcasters. I can only assume it's a cost saving matter but when you're shifting HD video halfway round the world I can't see that skimping on the audio makes much of a difference.

Dave B
9th July 2012, 12:38
Pretty good figures for the BBC coverage considering it overlapped the Wimbledon final:

Between 1pm and 3.30pm an average of 3.2 million, a 19.1% share, caught Marc [sic] Webber beating Fernando Alonso at a rain-soaked Silverstone. A further 418,000 caught the Formula One on the BBC HD channel.

The tennis got an average of 11.4 million and a peak of 16.9 million at it's conclusion.

Source: Andy Murray Wimbledon final pulls in almost 17m viewers | Media | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/09/andy-murray-wimbledon-final-17m-viewers)

Mark
9th July 2012, 14:48
The tennis will have helped. I'm sure a lot of people will have planned an afternoon in to catch the final and so tuned into the Grand Prix in the meantime.

wedge
9th July 2012, 15:09
There was wonderful documentary Gordon Murray documentary on BBC4 last night.

BBC iPlayer - How to Go Faster and Influence People: The Gordon Murray F1 Story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01f11hp/How_to_Go_Faster_and_Influence_People_The_Gordon_M urray_F1_Story/)

Somebody
10th July 2012, 01:43
Oh thank you! Yeah I noticed too. Martin was very chirpy. I would have expected Martin to be the grumpy one and DC to be warm and friendly. Yeah it would have been great to see them stop and chat a bit - the the BBC and Sky bosses would go mental I expect.

Depends - after one of the highlights races, the BBC crew were doing the Forum* and caught Martin leaving the circuit. After a visible "oh #### I'm stuck" moment, he relaxed for a couple of minutes and chatted on-camera (mentioning he was having dinner with DC afterward), until they let him go [ending, after he was gone, with a "I hear he's still working in broadcasting" from... I think it was DC, which was as close as they got to a direct Sky mention].

*Which I hadn't even known they WERE doing - I found it by chance on the red button on the Monday night!

tommy2k8
4th October 2013, 16:28
Any more news as to whether the BBC will be dropping it?

Mark
4th October 2013, 16:35
Any more news as to whether the BBC will be dropping it?

No and there likely won't be anything until over the winter.

tommy2k8
4th October 2013, 16:47
Consdering that there will be 22 races next season, and they have got the FA Cup back from 2014 / 15 season, I think they will

tommy2k8
22nd November 2013, 12:13
Do you think the extra 3 races will make a difference to the BBC?
Even though the BBC are excellent in sport, I have found even their live coverage this season a bit disappointing

AndyL
22nd November 2013, 13:15
They're (unsurprisingly) back down to 19 races now.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/11/d ... -calendar/ (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/11/date-changes-likely-in-19-race-formula-1-2014-calendar/)

Mark
22nd November 2013, 13:20
19 is still too many, lose Bahrain, Singapore and USA and we are back to a reasonable level.

Tazio
22nd November 2013, 14:45
19 is still too many, lose Bahrain, Singapore and Abu Dhabi and we are back to a reasonable level.
There Mark, I fixed that for you :arrows: ;)

Mark
22nd November 2013, 14:55
It was a close run thing, I had to choose three ;)

Tazio
22nd November 2013, 15:11
Upon further consideration they should keep Bahrain it is a decent track, plus the Middle East deserves a race IMO. I think they should ditch Singapore, and Abu Dhabi, because I don't care for the tracks, and Korea because it doesn't draw a lot of fans, and I've read:

"Public opinion in Korea was very much against continuously holding this event because of a huge deficit"

Mark
22nd November 2013, 15:13
Korea is a terrible track, so yes, ditch it.

tommy2k8
22nd November 2013, 16:31
Monaco is a boring race as well.

Overall, what do you think of the tv coverage this season?

Mark
22nd November 2013, 17:05
Monaco is a boring race as well.

Awful, but then it's been a bad season.

steveaki13
22nd November 2013, 18:51
19 is still too many, lose Bahrain, Singapore and USA and we are back to a reasonable level.

I would go for getting rid of Bahrain, UAE and India, but I get your point. :D

Tazio
23rd November 2013, 04:27
Monaco i .......
quote="tommy2k8"]Monaco is a boring race as well.

Couldn’t agree more with this part!

In which countries? I watch the UK and US at the same time, and I have to say that when these same (respectable British types were on SPEED in the early day THAT is what put F1back on the map for contemplative fans :confused:

Tazio
23rd November 2013, 12:30
I meant:

Monaco is a boring race as well
Couldn’t agree more with this part!

In which countries? I watch the UK and US broadcasts at the same time, and I have to say that when SPEEDTV brosdcast all F1 races on that TV channel it brought much more exposrure to F1 fans in the USA, and IMO is responsible to a large degree in the upturn in F1 awareness in the state.s

Mark
23rd November 2013, 15:53
The problem with this season has been so many races. Can't realistically watch then all. So have to miss some. Missed some, might as well miss others. And it goes on.

Tazio
23rd November 2013, 15:58
Some of us can, and every practice! :sailor:

Koz
23rd November 2013, 17:44
Some of us can, and every practice! :sailor:
When was the last time you missed a race??

Dave B
24th November 2013, 20:12
I've missed a couple of wee-small-hours practice sessions this year, and watched one qualifying session on delay; other than that I've managed to see every session and race live despite having a small bellowing person to contend with. Mind you, I couldn't hear half of the commentary today as he's discovered that it's apparently fun to scream while playing the xylophone, so swings and roundabouts!

tommy2k8
25th November 2013, 09:00
Will Suzy and the team be back next year? She said they would, but I'm not so sure - but don't let it become exclusive to Sky please!

acescribe
25th November 2013, 09:30
In the long run, down the road, the BBC will be forced out of covering sport altogether but with regard to F1 in 2014 I think they will be back. Word would have been out by now if the BBC were to disappear. Whether it is less live and more highlights though remains to be seen, as its all about ratings and there has been little difference this year between those live and not live.

inimitablestoo
26th November 2013, 19:31
With this many races I'm finding that half live and half highlights is about enough to sustain my interest. It's frustrating sometimes to have to wait (and avoid results, although generally this is easier than you might think if you're careful) but I'm less bothered about the current situation than I thought I would be.

I would hope, though, that even if Sky were to gain exclusive live coverage some time down the road, free-to-air highlights would still be an option for somebody to pick up. As long as those highlights were broadcast reasonably soon after the event (as is the case now) and not a week later...

henners88
27th November 2013, 08:01
I've missed a couple of wee-small-hours practice sessions this year, and watched one qualifying session on delay; other than that I've managed to see every session and race live despite having a small bellowing person to contend with. Mind you, I couldn't hear half of the commentary today as he's discovered that it's apparently fun to scream while playing the xylophone, so swings and roundabouts!
I'm a new father too and I'm not as lucky. I must admit though this season has been dire and my enthusiasm for watching every second has reduced a fair bit. Its rare I ever watch it live, but I've always been like that as GP's have a habit of being on in the day when I want to do things lol. I haven't watched a single practice session this season (can't see the point) and have found the most exciting part of the weekend to be qualifying. My only annoyance with the BBC this season was the US GP when they put the highlights on very late at night. I had no choice but to watch a stream that was on in the evening anyway. I suggest anybody here who is paying purely for Sky Go rather than the full package to think again. The streams I have seen appear to be far superior quality and more reliable in terms of signal strength. When I used to use my fathers Sky Go for the odd race it was always a fight to refresh it as the picture would freeze and pixelate badly. Considering how expensive it is, you'd think Sky would have sorted this out by now.

I have to agree with a couple of others though, highlights are not bad and when we have a boring season, even 70 minute highlights are too long!!

steveaki13
27th November 2013, 21:00
Congrats Henners I didn't realise it had all happened.

Hope you and your other half are happy and all is going well.

henners88
28th November 2013, 08:08
Cheers mate :)

acescribe
20th December 2013, 11:39
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25458397

Pretty much a case of "as you were" with regard to the BBC for 2014.

henners88
20th December 2013, 12:59
Excellent confirmation. Hopefully it'll continue to the end if their current contract in 2018. I can't see Sky getting an extension either.

Mark
20th December 2013, 13:36
Excellent confirmation. Hopefully it'll continue to the end if their current contract in 2018. I can't see Sky getting an extension either.

Why not? Who else would take it?

tommy2k8
20th December 2013, 14:11
Sorry, but eventually, I think Sky will get it all

henners88
20th December 2013, 15:41
A channel that can guarantee a healthy audience. Perhaps CVC need to consider dropping the price they demand to broadcasters and think long term rather than going for the quick buck? Sky's viewership is dreadful regardless of how decent their coverage is.

Are broadcasters really going to be interested in bidding for the rights if they know very few people are going to watch it? Sky admitted back in April that they thought demand would have been higher. I can't see Sky pushing as much resources into things if it continues for another season as it's an awful lot of outlay for 600k viewers. The fact their audience has shrunk 21% since 2012 is very telling I think. Bernie would be mad to give them exclusive rights.

acescribe
20th December 2013, 18:02
Alas the days of F1 being covered live on terrestrial TV in the UK are gone, probably forever. Perhaps Sky will lose faith too, as they could end up with the same syndrome that ITV suffered in that the same German is winning all the time. I think Sky's channel would be more marketable if it was a pan-motorsport channel (ie a bit like Motors TV) rather than just F1. F1 could get the main slots over the race weekends but the rest of the time there is a whole world of stuff out there that could be covered. What many do not realise perhaps is that there are A LOT of petrol heads who actually have little or no time for F1.

But beyond 2018, well, look where Moto GP has gone for next year and beyond. With their amount of money, which has even put the frighteners up BSkyB, they will be a main player in sports TV coverage from here on in. Sadly, 'Old Auntie' cannot possibly compete.

tommy2k8
21st December 2013, 10:39
True, I'm sad to say - even my mate who follows F1 religiously couldn't be bothered to watch the last two races. And I do agree, weekdays and between November and March on SSF1 is all repeats of old stuff.

tommy2k8
21st December 2013, 10:40
And, sadly, because of the way F1 is going, lots of petrol heads are getting into other types of motorsport, as they want action (BTCC for one)

henners88
21st December 2013, 13:42
Alas the days of F1 being covered live on terrestrial TV in the UK are gone, probably forever. Perhaps Sky will lose faith too, as they could end up with the same syndrome that ITV suffered in that the same German is winning all the time. I think Sky's channel would be more marketable if it was a pan-motorsport channel (ie a bit like Motors TV) rather than just F1. F1 could get the main slots over the race weekends but the rest of the time there is a whole world of stuff out there that could be covered. What many do not realise perhaps is that there are A LOT of petrol heads who actually have little or no time for F1.

But beyond 2018, well, look where Moto GP has gone for next year and beyond. With their amount of money, which has even put the frighteners up BSkyB, they will be a main player in sports TV coverage from here on in. Sadly, 'Old Auntie' cannot possibly compete.
I see F1 on a slippery slope at the moment. The fact the action on track at the moment is duller than dish water doesn't help, but you'd expect the promoters to at least be a little worried by how far it's popularity has declined in just 2 years based on its greedy distribution of TV rights. How F1 can deliberately reduce it's viewing audience is beyond me quite frankly. It's clear having F1in it's sports portfolio has not increased the amount of subscriptions so it begs the question whether Sky will continue to give it a dedicated channel when they could just show the races on say Sky Sports 3 or something like that. They saw the size of the audience in 2011 and expected F1 fans to be so distraught about losing the coverage, they would just sign up and pay through the nose. Thankfully this hasn't happened and it's just further exposed what a terrible idea this was in the first place. The only positive for me is that the BBC managed to get rid of some of the weaker members of it's presenting team, naming no names.

I'm on the fence at the moment as to whether BT Sport challenging Sky is a bad idea? I do think it will introduce a price war between broadcasters and Sky will have no option but to charge what they are worth rather than what they wish based on their current monopoly. We could see Sports subscriptions come down in price name few years time but who knows? Other than having exclusive rights to some sports, I can't really see the justification of current prices? If they want my business they better make a competitive case or I will continue to watch illegal streams or consider buying a chipped box in the new year. I don't feel at all guilty about doing that.

philipbain
7th January 2014, 22:53
I can't see Sky getting an extension either.

Mmm, here's you hoping that Sky don't get an extension, which I think they will get, like it or not Sky Sports F1 has become the natural home for F1, the BBC's coverage has fallen behind Sky now they are up to pace, even when races are live on both I always watch Sky now which was definitely not the case in 2012. As for BT, they are going for football with big bucks (overpaying for Champions League football for example) because they are confident that they can garner a decent audience from it, I don't know if F1 is truly on their radar. Sky have reported that the F1 coverage has been excellent for retention of HD customers (of which I am one) that don't actually purchase Sports, as existing HD customers get the F1 channel even if they don't subscribe to Sports. Retaining customers is the key to profitability, as getting new customers is comparatively costly compared to retention.

henners88
8th January 2014, 08:57
I can't see Sky getting an extension either.

Mmm, here's you hoping that Sky don't get an extension, which I think they will get, like it or not Sky Sports F1 has become the natural home for F1, the BBC's coverage has fallen behind Sky now they are up to pace, even when races are live on both I always watch Sky now which was definitely not the case in 2012. As for BT, they are going for football with big bucks (overpaying for Champions League football for example) because they are confident that they can garner a decent audience from it, I don't know if F1 is truly on their radar. Sky have reported that the F1 coverage has been excellent for retention of HD customers (of which I am one) that don't actually purchase Sports, as existing HD customers get the F1 channel even if they don't subscribe to Sports. Retaining customers is the key to profitability, as getting new customers is comparatively costly compared to retention.

I admit I do hope Sky don't get the extension and next time it will likely come down to money again so yes they probably will get the rights once again. Its not a case of 'like it or not' with regards to the 'natural home of F1' though. That is a purely subjective opinion for both of us. The popularity of both channels tells a different story. In 2013 Sky's viewing audience fell considerably in comparison to the previous début year whereas the BBC's grew . That suggests to me that the BBC are still the primary source for many fans viewing F1 in the UK. These figures can be seen at both the F1 Broadcasting Blog and at Barb. You should read some facts rather than puff pieces put out by BSKYB.

The season, when taking into account Sky’s longer running time for each race programme, averaged 4.11m across the nineteen races on BBC One and Sky Sports F1. This is an increase of 130k (or 3.3%) on the 3.98m average recorded for 2012, but is again down on the figures recorded between 2009 and 2011 when Formula 1 was exclusively live on the BBC. Despite an overall increase, viewing figures dropped a million viewers from the first half to the second half of the season. The first half of the season averaged 4.58m (2012: 4.06m), whilst the second half of the season averaged 3.59m (2012: 3.89m), a 27.6% drop compared with a 4.4% drop in 2012.

BBC’s Formula 1 coverage was the reason for the increase, averaging 3.42m viewers throughout 2013 for their race-day coverage, compared with 3.22m in 2012, an increase of 6.2%. The main source of the increase was the high German Grand Prix highlights rating, which averaged 5.15m and benefited from following the Wimbledon final. Removing this would still keep 2013 above 2012 for the BBC.

Unlike BBC, Sky Sports F1?s coverage dropped throughout. When putting it on a level playing field with the BBC, the main part of their race-day programming averaged 685k, down on the 767k recorded in 2012, a decrease of 12.0%. There is no particular race that struggled, but rather an overall declining picture for the channel compared with 2012. 770k (2012: 855k) watched the first half of the season with Sky, this number dropping to 590k (2012: 659k) for the latter half of the season. In both 2012 and 2013, Sky’s coverage has dropped across the season: a decrease of 30.5% compared with a 29.7% drop in 2012.

May I ask where the figures are to support your claim Sky's audience grew? The F1 Broadcasting Blog is well respected and is an impartial comparison to the viewer-ship of F1. 'Like it or not' less people are watching the sport as a result of this deal and although you are able to sit on the high ground safe in the knowledge you can afford a subscription, its having a slowly devastating long term effect on how the sport will be received in future.

Sky will never have the outreach to maintain F1's popularity in the UK, even if it doesn't presently attract the same amount of viewers other sports do. Sky are too expensive for most people and there is the issue. I'm considering getting a SkyBox F5 fitted this year to watch all Sky channels for free :D

philipbain
8th January 2014, 20:17
That suggests to me that the BBC are still the primary source for many fans viewing F1 in the UK. These figures can be seen at both the F1 Broadcasting Blog and at Barb. You should read some facts rather than puff pieces put out by BSKYB.

I didn't even mention viewing figures, they are not my concern to be quite honest, I couldn't give a damn if I was the only person watching, that's for Sky to worry about, not me! All I was saying that in my opinion the quality of coverage that Sky offers trounces the BBC whose coverage has lost it's edge, combine that with the fact that the bitrate and resulting picture and sound quality of BBC One HD is a joke and Sky Sports F1 HD's coverage looks better and is presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround it's clear to me which i'd rather watch!

I'm considering getting a SkyBox F5 fitted this year to watch all Sky channels for free :D

Sounds totally legit.....

Dave B
8th January 2014, 20:27
I'm considering getting a SkyBox F5 fitted this year to watch all Sky channels for free :D
A note of caution: Sky are getting very good at shutting down these servers, and of course it's not "free" you're trusting your money (anything from £50 - £100) to an anonymous person with no incentive to refund you if (or more likely when) things go pear shaped.

henners88
9th January 2014, 08:00
I didn't even mention viewing figures, they are not my concern to be quite honest, I couldn't give a damn if I was the only person watching, that's for Sky to worry about, not me! All I was saying that in my opinion the quality of coverage that Sky offers trounces the BBC whose coverage has lost it's edge, combine that with the fact that the bitrate and resulting picture and sound quality of BBC One HD is a joke and Sky Sports F1 HD's coverage looks better and is presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround it's clear to me which i'd rather watch!
Well its great you have justification for paying for it if you are bothered about the sound quality. For me that is less of a need, just so long as I can watch the race. I'm not bothered about the build up on Sky because its not a patch on the BBC's effort IMHO, so tuning in for the race is more of a need for me. Another reason why a subscription would be a waste of money. If I'm not bothering with the extras Sky offer, then the price of the package combined with what I would watch is extremely expensive and I simply can't justify that.

Sounds totally legit.....
Its far from legit. I could couldn't give a monkeys whether it is legit or not so long as I get to see what I want and at a reasonable cost. This system costs less than a hundred quid to install and runs in HD. It means I would get all the sports channels, movies, and entertainment channels, not that I am particularly bothered about all that as I have FreeSat anyway which I will continue to use as my primary viewing source. I would likely only use this additional box to watch GP's.

A note of caution: Sky are getting very good at shutting down these servers, and of course it's not "free" you're trusting your money (anything from £50 - £100) to an anonymous person with no incentive to refund you if (or more likely when) things go pear shaped.
I've heard those warnings before but yet to know anybody who has been affected by having their box closed down. I know the guy who sells them and a close family member of mine has had one for nearly a year now with no issues at all. Even if I had it for a few months and it suddenly shut down, it would still be cheaper than a genuine subscription for the same period of time. I'm sure my mate would help me out if that ever happened in any case. These boxes are surprising popular in my area as the cost of having Sky is expensive during these tougher times for most people. Sure we can say if you can't afford it don't have it, but when there is a cheaper alternative to paying a greedy company, I'm all in favour of it anyway :)

I don't condone using this method to anybody and would never promote it or give details in public. Just sharing my personal opinion and a potential option I have in future. We are all committed F1 fans and we shouldn't begrudge others from finding a way of watching the great sport. There are plenty of F1 fans watching live internet streams after all which are just as illegal.

Jag_Warrior
11th January 2014, 19:44
There are plenty of F1 fans watching live internet streams after all which are just as illegal.

As someone whose goal in life this year is to become a "cord cutter" by December (either going to basic HD cable and internet streaming or just internet streaming and a digital antennae on my house), it wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone mentioned what some of these sources might be. :bandit: Being a total law & order sort of fellow, I would never use them for entertainment purposes. No! But I may do a bit of investigative journalism in the future and I could use these streams to work on my journalism project. Yeah, that's it! I promise to get no pleasure from any lap or pass that I happen to see. The check is in the mail, I'll love you in the morning and you can't get pregnant the first time. :lips:

Jokes aside, I'm willing to pay to watch F1. I have no issue with that. But since DirecTV ($100+/month for what???!!!) and the American broadcast mafia won't allow us to have a la carte programming, I really am willing to do what I need to do to get what I want. IMO, even as an American, I should be able to pay the BBC, Sky, Netflix, Amazon or iTunes (or NBCSports - without having to pay for the other crap channels on DirecTV or cable) to get my F1 programming over the internet. Bernie's deal with NBCSports is not my problem. I didn't sign off on it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nf9BKwh7ziU/T9YGUfL6mHI/AAAAAAAAErM/tS7t8MbWqmc/s400/mo.jpg

acescribe
16th January 2014, 12:18
Word is Gary Anderson will not be part of the BBC coverage team this year.

henners88
16th January 2014, 13:41
Word is Gary Anderson will not be part of the BBC coverage team this year.
A rumour that has been unconfirmed for several days now.

It'll be a shame if true, but we'll have to wait and see.

christophulus
17th January 2014, 19:29
If they have removed him it's a very poor decision. He wasn't a natural in front of the camera (or behind the mic) by any means, but his technical insight was one of the most interesting parts of last season in my opinion. I hope they have someone in mind to replace him.

The only person I'd get rid of, sadly, is Suzi Perry. I gave it a year but I just don't think she's a good fit for the coverage.

Having said that, my opinion won't count for much as I really can't get excited about next year, so I don't imagine I'll be watching many of the races live!

steveaki13
19th January 2014, 23:27
If its true they are letting GA go, that is crazy.

He is so knowledgeable. It makes you wonder who they are going to be getting in. Someone equally knowledgeable or someone attractive/entertaining

Mark
20th January 2014, 11:19
He's a knowledgeable guy, make no mistake, but he wasn't a very good pit lane presenter and wasn't good in front of the camera. These things do matter.

steveaki13
20th January 2014, 21:19
I know, but although I don't watch much BBC stuff. I would still rather a knowledgeable GA than a trendy whoever that knows little about F1.

I listen on Radio to Fridays quite often and I enjoy his work.

rjbetty
21st January 2014, 02:19
I know, but although I don't watch much BBC stuff. I would still rather a knowledgeable GA than a trendy whoever that knows little about F1.

I listen on Radio to Fridays quite often and I enjoy his work.

Hear Hear, as Murray would say.

I'm a Radio 5 listener, Well that's a shame if the BBC really want to go in the Natalie Pinkham direction.

They seem too focused on what Sky are doing, like ripping off Sky's admittedly very good opening credits when their own were just fine, and distinguished them.

henners88
21st January 2014, 07:55
They seem too focused on what Sky are doing, like ripping off Sky's admittedly very good opening credits when their own were just fine, and distinguished them.
I didn't get the impression they had ripped off Sky's opening credits. The historical animations mixed with historical clips are hardly a product owned by either channel. Unless it was another aspect I am not aware of.

I wonder if Sky will get rid of that awful theme tune this year? I used to like ITV's use of 'Lift me up' by Moby, however the Chain takes some beating as it is something a lot of fans associate with F1. I like a tune that puts you in the mood for racing and Sky fall short on that choice. Its a minor detail, but Sky seem to pride themselves on minor details and charging the earth. :)

tommy2k8
21st January 2014, 08:40

He is so knowledgeable. It makes you wonder who they are going to be getting in. Someone equally knowledgeable or someone attractive/entertaining

If they are letting him go because of cost cutting, two things:
1) They won't replace him
2) This may be the start of the end for BBC F1 (early)

henners88
21st January 2014, 09:09

If they are letting him go because of cost cutting, two things:
1) They won't replace him
2) This may be the start of the end for BBC F1 (early)
I very much doubt the BBC will drop the coverage before the end of their contract. Its still one of their highest attracting sports, although they have very little left. If the BBC decide not to continue showing F1 post 2018, then lets hope another FTA channel picks up their half of the contract. If they don't, then F1 is officially dead in the UK as Sky F1 are struggling massively to attract viewers. Its all good having a fancy dedicated channel packed with features and air time, but if its priced beyond most fans reach, its as good as useless for the future. Sky will end up doing to F1 what they have done to cricket if we are not careful.

The BBC are propping up F1 appeal at the moment and are providing the primary F1 coverage in the UK. It all depends how important the British market is to the sport and its sponsors. Its probably not so important these days, however that is not so great for the dedicated fans amongst us.

tommy2k8
21st January 2014, 09:42
As much as I'd love F1 to stay on the BBC (no ads), I would much rather see the entire season on another FTA channel than under half of it!

henners88
21st January 2014, 09:58
As much as I'd love F1 to stay on the BBC (no ads), I would much rather see the entire season on another FTA channel than under half of it!
The problem with that would be they would have to put ads during the race as no other FTA channel relies on license funding like the BBC. I'd much rather the current deal continue as we get half the season in full and the other half as highlights, but lets face it, the racing has been so boring of late some of the highlights have felt like they've gone on too long lol!

When we look at the time F1 was on ITV, it was effectively like the BBC highlights now. I say this because there were at least 5 ad breaks per race and a good percentage was missed. When it went back on the Beeb we suddenly realised what it was like to watch a race in full again.

If the BBC decided not to continue though, it would be much better all round if a FTA channel picked it up with ads than have Sky have full exclusive rights. Having ads is better than not having F1 at all!