PDA

View Full Version : BBC Coverage

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

52Paddy
7th June 2009, 21:53
Coverage was ok. Surprised Legard didn't jinx Button; he had been promoting Button as 'race winner' from lap 10!

Really enjoyed DC & EJ. They're like two schoolkids :p : However I do often get annoyed with how much plamousing each of the cast often involved in. Quote of the day:

"Myself and David couldn't even guess who was going to qualify on pole, and we consider ourselves experts!" EJ

closely followed by the DC and EJ dialect in which EJ says he stands by the Loyalty to the Republic! :D

acescribe
7th June 2009, 22:56
I switched over to the Five Live coverage (via CBBC) on the Red Button today, just for the hell of it really...and didnt return to Legard and Brundle.

Which must say something.... Legard isnt doing a bad job, but I think David Croft and Ant Davidson are more 'fresh' and they were making what was basically a dull-ish race sound a lot more exciting, and one wouldnt have known that they were primarily talking to a radio audience.

And do we know of any 'kids' who listen to the CBBC commentary?! Who are they voicing on that audio? One of them had the comment: "Of the lollipop man jumping out in front of the cars like that, I had a friend who jumped out in front of a bus once and the bus won!" Oh.....

BDunnell
7th June 2009, 23:08
My comments about Jonathan Legard are exactly the same as after the last race. There is no change of pace in his commentary, even in the exciting moments. I think this is quite a serious failing, making as it does his whole commentary seem monotonous.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th June 2009, 23:49
I think the pre race show is superb. It has a flow to it, unlike ITV's coverage. I remember in the ITV days that the pre-race show was a drag. One thing i'd like more of though is Brundle's 'F1 Insight' features.

yodasarmpit
7th June 2009, 23:56
I have to say I'm impressed with the BBC's coverage so far.
I would go so far as to say it's better than that offered by ITV, and appears to be improving race by race.
The pre and post race stuff, along with the red button option is great.

My only request is to drop Eddie Jordan, Legard gets on my nerves but I can take him for now.

wedge
8th June 2009, 00:29
Finally they showed the qualy laps properly. The pole lap is near meaningless without comparisons because the perfect laps looks too easy because they're faultless.

More of the same please.

AndyL
8th June 2009, 11:11
I think the pre race show is superb. It has a flow to it, unlike ITV's coverage. I remember in the ITV days that the pre-race show was a drag. One thing i'd like more of though is Brundle's 'F1 Insight' features.

I have to start watching that. After years of ITV coverage I've become accustomed to tuning in as the formation lap starts. But the bits of the BBC's pre-race I have seen looked pretty good. I haven't seen them going on a guided tour of Jarno Trulli's vineyards once!

Mark
8th June 2009, 11:57
Yep, and crucially you don't tend to get the same old features before the race as you'd seen the previous day before qualifying.

It seems a bit less formal too, i.e. you don't have the rigid seperation of the presenters, and commentators, you often get Brundle down in the pit lane talking to Jake Humpries, EJ & DC.

Much of the buildup is worth watching just for Jordan and Coulthard needling each other constantly!

ITV's build up seemed to consist entirely of adverts and phone in competitions.

stevie_gerrard
8th June 2009, 13:33
Anyone got a video of Jake almost getting run over? I missed that bit and i've been looking for one for ages.

They are slowly getting there, I think it was good to have DC with Martin on the pit walk, although i probably would have saved that for the British GP, home race and all. The commentary is doing ok as well, though it is quite hard to commentate about the same guy leading the race all the time. I think it just needs time to gel. First season was always gonnas pick up some problems, but it seems to me that Legard and Brundle get on better than the start of the season.

Dave B
9th June 2009, 15:22
I think I've found the reason why F1 isn't broadcast in HD.

Have a look at the photo in this Daily Express article (http://www.express.co.uk/motorsport/view/106191/Mixed-feelings-for-Ecclestone). Bernie's watching his TV in the wrong aspect ration - he's got a 4:3 picture stretched to "fattyvision" on his 16:9 screen. If he can't even get the basics right in his own home, do you think he cares about HD? :eek:

http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/73/285x214/106191_1.jpg

Bagwan
9th June 2009, 17:51
Dave , that's on purpose .
Bernie is short , and it makes him feel tall to see everyone else from that perspective .

I think I've found the reason why F1 isn't broadcast in HD.

Have a look at the photo in this Daily Express article (http://www.express.co.uk/motorsport/view/106191/Mixed-feelings-for-Ecclestone). Bernie's watching his TV in the wrong aspect ration - he's got a 4:3 picture stretched to "fattyvision" on his 16:9 screen. If he can't even get the basics right in his own home, do you think he cares about HD? :eek:

http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/73/285x214/106191_1.jpg

AndyL
21st June 2009, 11:12
Does anyone else suspect it's becoming a running joke with the BBC production crew to stitch up DC when they get him to commentate on on-board laps? It usually goes something like this:

Jake Humphries: David, take us through this hot qualifying lap.
David Coulthard: OK here we go,flat out in top, brake down to 3rd, get a good drive onto the straight, looks like a good lap so far, but he's missed the apex a bit there, oh and he's well wide on that corner... now he's slowing! He's very slow there! He's got a problem with the car! Oh no hang on, this isn't a hot lap at all, it's an in-lap/an out-lap/the mechanics loading the car into the truck, and now we've cut to a shot of Nicole Scherzinger's arse.

The first time it might have been a mistake but they seem to do it to him at some point every race weekend now :D

stevie_gerrard
22nd June 2009, 10:29
I did find that quite amusing this weekend :p :

Is it just me, or is anyone a little disappointed that Murray wasn't brought in for a snippet of commentary during yesterdays race? I thought the BBc might have got the message from the flooding of messageboards asking for him to commentate. Considering it is a track where he has seen every grand prix since 1949 and the emotional aspect of it possibly being the last race for Silverstone in F1, I thought the least the BBC could have done was give a few laps for Murray to commentate on during the race.

Would certainly have livened up what was a pretty average race...

skm
24th June 2009, 13:08
Gee I thought the coverage in Australia was average.

Very little shown of Vettel, sure he took off early, but why didn't they show the early laps and then practially nothing of 2nd v 3rd...instead the coverage was related to some battles further back, some points, some non points. Pretty average.

52Paddy
24th June 2009, 20:54
Gee I thought the coverage in Australia was average.

Very little shown of Vettel, sure he took off early, but why didn't they show the early laps and then practially nothing of 2nd v 3rd...instead the coverage was related to some battles further back, some points, some non points. Pretty average.

Well, BBC don't directly influence the race director's decisions. In fact, occasionally I've heard either Martin Brundle or James Allen complain about the fact that the director is not focusing on a core on-track battle.

UltimateDanGTR
12th September 2009, 10:14
just noticed this morning that the BBC have introduced a new 'Inside F1' staurday morning program. only caught the last 10 mins, but some guy who i dont know who was presenting in a studio which looked simular to the bbc news studio, and with jake humphreys and brundle at the track for a brief period, with other stuff like webbers track guide. The BBC are really taking this F1 coverage seriously, really very good work, well done them!

anyone miss ITV? :D

BDunnell
12th September 2009, 10:23

The whole channel could go off air, and that question would still be valid.

Dave B
12th September 2009, 10:56
just noticed this morning that the BBC have introduced a new 'Inside F1' staurday morning program. only caught the last 10 mins, but some guy who i dont know who was presenting in a studio which looked simular to the bbc news studio, and with jake humphreys and brundle at the track for a brief period, with other stuff like webbers track guide. The BBC are really taking this F1 coverage seriously, really very good work, well done them!

The reason it looks like the news studio is that it is the news studio! The programme normally airs on the news channel around 6:45 on the Friday of a race weekend, then gets repeated on the red button. It's another nice little touch :up:

And no, if ITV1 vanished tomorrow I doubt I'd notice.

UltimateDanGTR
12th September 2009, 11:53
And no, if ITV1 vanished tomorrow I doubt I'd notice.

Well if all of ITV were to go i would be annoyed, they do a fantastic job of BTCC coverage IMO-from 11-6 on BTCC sundays all races including supports. brilliant!

wedge
12th September 2009, 15:10
There's more than enough on the Beeb with F1.

I'd rather have coverage GP2 than have free practice on the red button.

Sonic
12th September 2009, 17:09
Not sure I needed another feature on Trulli's wine. :rolleyes:

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 17:24
Not sure I needed another feature on Trulli's wine. :rolleyes:

Isn't that the only successful aspect of Jarno Trulli at the moment, I mean, they cant do a feature on his race wins, overtakes etc can they? ;)

Sonic
12th September 2009, 17:33
LOL! Although I have no idea how successful Trulli's business really is. Google methinks.... :dozey:

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 17:39
LOL! Although I have no idea how successful Trulli's business really is. Google methinks.... :dozey:

I rather suspect he is a well respected wine producer. Anyone know if James & Oz visited his vineyard or have any plans to?

Dave B
12th September 2009, 17:42
I've tried Trulli's Pino Grigiot, and it was... alright. You can get better in Tesco for a tenner.

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 17:48
I've tried Trulli's Pino Grigiot, and it was... alright. You can get better in Tesco for a tenner.

Blows whistle - Wine ponse alert!!! :rotflmao:

An Ayrton for one bottle - that's steep, must be a '79!

Dave B
12th September 2009, 17:54
Blows whistle - Wine ponse alert!!! :rotflmao:

An Ayrton for one bottle - that's steep, must be a '79!
Only a 2008, white often doesn't age well. :p

Anyway, guilty as charged. I have become something of a wine ponce these last few years, so much so that I'm planning part of my honeymoon around which vinyards we can visit :eek:

BDunnell
12th September 2009, 18:04
Isn't that the only successful aspect of Jarno Trulli at the moment, I mean, they cant do a feature on his race wins, overtakes etc can they? ;)

Very good.

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 18:05
Only a 2008, white often doesn't age well. :p

Anyway, guilty as charged. I have become something of a wine ponce these last few years, so much so that I'm planning part of my honeymoon around which vinyards we can visit :eek:

Does the 'Trouble & Strife' to be know of your plans yet?

WHere you going? France, Italy, SA, Australia?

Can I recommend Italian Lakes and a hire car - worked for me and 'er indoors. :)

Dave B
13th September 2009, 14:51
I might be in touch about Italy ;)

The Beeb definately need to work on their audio: Jake EJ and DC's radio mics have got some terrible quality issues this weekend :s

Daniel
13th September 2009, 14:51
Was thinking the same Dave, terrible quality.

AndyL
13th September 2009, 14:57
Anyone see the interview with Alonso yesterday? The question was something along the lines of what he thought his strengths are as a driver, and he replied that he thinks he's very consistent, though he might not be the fastest, most talented or toughest/hardest working driver. Remarkable modesty from a guy with 2 world championships.

52Paddy
13th September 2009, 22:14
Anyone see the interview with Alonso yesterday? The question was something along the lines of what he thought his strengths are as a driver, and he replied that he thinks he's very consistent, though he might not be the fastest, most talented or toughest/hardest working driver. Remarkable modesty from a guy with 2 world championships.

That was an interview worth keeping in mind :up:

I thought the BBC did another great job of coverage this weekend. The post-race coverage went on for over half an hour and included comment from Stefano Dominicalli, Martin Whitmarsh and others! They seem to take the coverage more seriously than ITV. They give the race justice and don't rush their coverage. Its really laid back. Though, to nitpick, that was arguably the worst of Martin Brundle's grid walks I've ever seen.

Mark
14th September 2009, 08:31
I'm glad to see the BBC are doing the coverage 'properly' although this is their first year and they want to show off, I hope they aren't subject to cut backs for next years season.

Much of the coverage is like ITV did it, as I think they mostly got it right in the end. Of course it's without adverts (and consequently annoying break bumpers) and without plugs for silly competitions.

MAX_THRUST
16th September 2009, 12:31
BBC has been great, Leggard is pants, he has to go....

christophulus
6th February 2010, 18:44
To no-one's great surprise, the BBC has an unchanged line up this year. On the plus side, they're continuing their excellent Red Button coverage of practice sessions, and the post race forum.

Details: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm

DazzlaF1
6th February 2010, 18:54
To no-one's great surprise, the BBC has an unchanged line up this year. On the plus side, they're continuing their excellent Red Button coverage of practice sessions, and the post race forum.

Details: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

The red button coverage of free practice was the one feature that was most welcomed by me and the F1 Forum was a great addition too, nice to see that they'll both be staying.

52Paddy
6th February 2010, 19:45
I'm happy that their cast is unchanged bar Legard, who I wish they would replace. But, he may have improved for this season. We will see.

UltimateDanGTR
6th February 2010, 20:35
I'm happy that their cast is unchanged bar Legard, who I wish they would replace. But, he may have improved for this season. We will see.

agreed-i hope leggard improves, but the rest of the beeb coverage is top notch (and leggard grew on me last year but he could still be alot better for sure)

cant wait till that opening intro for the bahrain grand prix-when the racing returns!

dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun................

Dave B
7th February 2010, 10:50
cant wait till that opening intro for the bahrain grand prix-when the racing returns!

dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun................
I shall be building a new subwoofer specifically for that purpose :D

UltimateDanGTR
7th February 2010, 13:18
I shall be building a new subwoofer specifically for that purpose :D

:D good luck with that :)

Speedworx
7th February 2010, 22:09
Theres nothing wrong with Legard

Josti
7th February 2010, 23:03
I decided to switch to BBC last season (being curious at first) instead of looking at the usual Dutch broadcast, mostly because it's much more in depth and BBC's broadcast is a lot longer too (and without commercials!). So, I'm sure to follow F1 on BBC again this year.

While I'm not a fan of Jonathan Legard either, luckily it's compensated well with the precense of Martin Brundle.

Mark
8th February 2010, 09:12
Could it finally be?! We actually have F1 broadcasts in the UK that the majority of people are happy with? :s hock:

Dave B
8th February 2010, 10:18
I still think Legard is the weak link, but that's only because everything else about the coverage is so good. I do find myself tuning him out, and there's always the option of 5 Live commentary.

Even EJ's grown on me, in a kind of weird way. Love him or loath him, he's good for sparking debate.

AndyL
8th February 2010, 11:10
[I]"Myself and Michael go way back you know when he drove for me and the Jordan Team..."

:D Isn't it usually "...after I discovered him, and before he got stolen by Flavio" :D

I am evil Homer
8th February 2010, 11:49
I can't like Eddy....he's an idiot. DC I thougt was fantastic - calm, assured, interesting insights. Eddy was the opposite.

Legard is certainly not as good but lets give him a chance it was his first year transitioning from radio so hopefully 2010 will see him get better. And Brundle is still Brundle...class act.

52Paddy
8th February 2010, 20:06
I do actually hope they Keep EJ as I do find myself laughing at some of his ridiculous dramatic outbursts. There was a really uncomfortable interview with Ross Brawn last season where he went completely off topic and said if Brawn wins the constructors championship that race, he expected Ross to sing a certain Karaoke song in the after race get-together. Both Jake and David looked as bewildered as the millions of viewers as to how it was linked with Jenson's fuel strategy for the forth coming race. He does seem to forget that he's presenting and not wondering around as the owner of the Jordan Team. .. Classic.. :laugh:

I have to agree with you here henners. EJ is an idiot in many respects. During 2009, I had to cringe at least once at every race meeting at something EJ would say. He created so much tension, as if he hadn't a clue how to deliver himself - like driving straight off a cliff edge at some points! But, being slightly biased of course, his character is ultimately Irish. I thought it was brilliant when he literally grabbed Schumacher by the arm in the pit lane at one of last season's later races and dragged him over for interview. DC and Jake were like "Bloody hell! I didn't mean for him to literally go over and force Schumacher over for interview!!"

I think Eddie's warts and all approach to the programme, like him or loathe him, is healthy. I like it when there's someone to make you bury your face in your hands and have you blush in embarrassment for him :cheese:

AndyL
9th February 2010, 11:40
I thought it was brilliant when he literally grabbed Schumacher by the arm in the pit lane at one of last season's later races and dragged him over for interview. DC and Jake were like "Bloody hell! I didn't mean for him to literally go over and force Schumacher over for interview!!"

:D Yes I think Eddie got a few interviews for the BBC that someone more polite would not have got. Somehow I find myself imagining Eddie whispering in Schumacher's ear: "come with me for an interview, Michael, or you'll find 20 tons of concrete blocking your drive tomorrow morning." ;)

Mark
9th February 2010, 12:13
:D Yes I think Eddie got a few interviews for the BBC that someone more polite would not have got. Somehow I find myself imagining Eddie whispering in Schumacher's ear: "come with me for an interview, Michael, or you'll find 20 tons of concrete blocking your drive tomorrow morning." ;)

hehe. The advantage the BBC has is that, not only is it world renouned just for being the BBC. But they have the likes of Jordan, Coulthard and Brundle who know everyone in F1 because they've been involved in it for years. They can literally walk up to the likes of Ecclestone or Schumacher and start asking them questions, whereas some no name presenter that's been parachuted in wouldn't stand a chance.

Dave B
9th February 2010, 13:01
They can literally walk up to the likes of Ecclestone or Schumacher and start asking them questions, whereas some no name presenter that's been parachuted in wouldn't stand a chance.
True although Jake Humphrey, while not exactly a "nobody", wasn't known in the paddock before last year and he had no problems in that regard. In fact I'd go as far as to say that Jake was one of the strongest parts of the BBC's coverage.

UltimateDanGTR
9th February 2010, 17:38
hehe. The advantage the BBC has is that, not only is it world renouned just for being the BBC. But they have the likes of Jordan, Coulthard and Brundle who know everyone in F1 because they've been involved in it for years. They can literally walk up to the likes of Ecclestone or Schumacher and start asking them questions, whereas some no name presenter that's been parachuted in wouldn't stand a chance.

and, Martin Brundle can also just walz up and push infront of the german sky presenters! :D well done him I say!

Jake was great last season I would also like to add. and whilst EJ is a bit of an idiot, I do like him because he and DC provide good banter, which I think is a very helpful thing for the overall viewers enjoyment.

woody2goody
9th February 2010, 18:48
I must admit, James Allen is great when he is writing articles though, very good insights.

The BBC's coverage was excellent, and their website is getting blogs, articles and interviews from testing and the car launches already, great stuff.

Jake was on very good form again on the Superbowl coverage, and I hope they will do an even better job of the F1 coverage in 2010 :)

truefan72
10th February 2010, 04:05
would be nice if they covered testing. that would be the icing on the cake.

I get to watch their coverage when I can online. especially the qualy (since Speed tv is on a 12 minute delay...why? I don't know) and some FP's and the occasional race when speed tv acquiesces to the horrible delayed Fox coverage ofr a few races. And of course in replays later.

I like their coverage .EJ is a bit of a character and is often teetering on the border of appropriateness. his back and forth with DC is also enjoyable with Dc always coming off as the reasonable one reigning in EJ.

Brundle to me is the class of all F1 broadcasters today and is the most enjoyable aspect of watching the BBC coverage. to me James Allen is fine. Sometimes too passionate for the brits, but hey this is the BBC not eurosport right?

wedge
10th February 2010, 11:15
EJ has added an extra dimension and dare I say better than Brundle's grid walks these days. With a guy like EJ he can grab anyone in the paddock regardless such as running into the Ferrari to twist Schumi's arm and made a dull red flagged qualy session worth watching and pop into a random garage to show an example of a spring that hit Massa's head.

Dave B
7th March 2010, 16:58
Just a heads-up: there's a 45 minute preview show currently looping on the red button (satellite and cable), and I believe it'll be appearing on the BBC website from Monday :up:

UltimateDanGTR
7th March 2010, 17:04
Just a heads-up: there's a 45 minute preview show currently looping on the red button (satellite and cable), and I believe it'll be appearing on the BBC website from Monday :up:

cheers for that. any idea how long the current loop has been on for?

Dave B
7th March 2010, 17:46
As I type this I think there's only a few minutes before it starts again.

DazzlaF1
7th March 2010, 18:05

Sweet, i'll give that a peek

DazzlaF1
7th March 2010, 19:27
Just 45 minutes of Humphrey with Legard, Brundle, EJ and Coulthard in discussion, mostly about Schumacher, the new team's chances, rule changes and Jenson v Lewis

Also on the new team debate, part of me thought that by the way he was discussing it that DC sort of agrees with Massa and LdM

steveaki13
7th March 2010, 19:38

Cheers :)

UltimateDanGTR
7th March 2010, 19:45
i remember ITV used to do a proper 1 hour season preview 1 week before every season on ITV1, shame the BBC havnt done the same, although the discussion was interesting they could've put in some extra features.

still, the actual season stuff is most important, and the beeb know how to do that at its very best

Allyc85
7th March 2010, 20:04
Preview on the red button if you have sky, Eastenders quiz if you only have freeview :mad: :mad:

steveaki13
8th March 2010, 23:40
I was watching the BBCi discussion and one thing I always find annoys me, is when a presenter (Jake in this case) says something along the lines of...

"well all the people at home want to know is about the main rule changes..."

and when talking about the problems of carrying a full tank of fuel, and its affect on tyres and brakes

"The people at home probably just think its a case of carrying more weight"

So this always makes me on edge as I think to myself
"Some of us at home do have quite a knowledge of the sport, we do not all need to be talked down to"

Even more so when on BBCi and probably only loyal fans are watching, I just feel they could be a bit more in depth on these sort of broadcasts.

Sorry about the long rant, just gets to me.

truefan72
9th March 2010, 00:22
I was watching the BBCi discussion and one thing I always find annoys me, is when a presenter (Jake in this case) says something along the lines of...

and when talking about the problems of carrying a full tank of fuel, and its affect on tyres and brakes

"Some of us at home do have quite a knowledge of the sport, we do not all need to be talked down to"

Even more so when on BBCi and probably only loyal fans are watching, I just feel they could be a bit more in depth on these sort of broadcasts.

well said and it's just not on BBC its all over and in many sports. I too find that annoying. Especially when it comes to F1 I think the average F1 fan just by pure osmosis is fairly well educated on the intricacies of the sport and would probably enjoy more technical stuff or a more detailed/mature conversation.

The folks at Speed TV are pretty good about not doing this and if they think it gets too technical ,they at least break it down in an adult way without coming off as arrogant or talking down.

wedge
9th March 2010, 00:35

It was a decent discussion. You weren't paying attention. He mentioned Bahrain would be a place where looking after the brakes would become an issue.

It was a good informal atmosphere instead of lecturing infront of the camera and explaining to retards.

Sorry for the rant. Just wish it could be like NASCAR TV production. The best we've got is fancy CGI and EJ nicking a spring from a random garage.

MrJan
9th March 2010, 10:17

The majority of the BBC audience probably don't know all about it though...I certainly don't. Not all of us want to spent our winter reading F1 websites to find out what's going on and if a motorsport fan like me isn't bothered then Joe Bloggs cheering on Button certainly won't know. I wouldn't be too surprised if this programme spreads to the main show at the weekend.

I think that BBC, and even ITV, have generally struck a good balance between F1 nerds and general viewing public, if you want to be talked down to then just have a listen to Paul King on the WRC coverage.

ArrowsFA1
9th March 2010, 10:27
It was a decent discussion...It was a good informal atmosphere...
Sat and watched this last night and enjoyed it, largely because it was a relaxed informal "chat" about the season ahead. A bit like a few F1 fans being down the pub looking forward to the start of the season :)

One of the strengths of the BBC coverage has been their use of the red button with the post race forum, and this preview was along those lines with more being promised this year. It's all the better for being (apparently) unscripted IMHO.

52Paddy
9th March 2010, 10:28
if you want to be talked down to then just have a listen to Paul King on the WRC coverage.

Outta the way - I'm gonna puke :bonce:

I am evil Homer
9th March 2010, 10:29
I must admit, James Allen is great when he is writing articles though, very good insights.

The BBC's coverage was excellent, and their website is getting blogs, articles and interviews from testing and the car launches already, great stuff.

Jake was on very good form again on the Superbowl coverage, and I hope they will do an even better job of the F1 coverage in 2010 :)

Agreed I think James Allen is a good writer but he didn't work on TV.

The BBC's ace is Brundle...his knowledge, his approach, his attitude.

Daniel
9th March 2010, 11:11
if you want to be talked down to then just have a listen to Paul King on the WRC coverage.

[Paul King]and what's this?!?!?!?!?! Mr Jan Yeo, formerly Miguel Sanchez is posting CRITICISM of Paul King from ISC/North One on Motorsportforums.com, which is hosted by Motorsport.com, for his rubbish commentary and silly attempts at making coverage seem live when it is in fact actually many hours old which surely any idiot must realise. This will surely be a blow for the Englishman whose talent for **** commentary has wowed the likes of the BP Ultimate Castrol Abu Dhabi Tourism Commission Ford Focus RS WRC Puma World Rally Team and their arch rivals the Total Citroen Red Bull Playstation C4 WRC Rally Team![/Paul King]

I hate The Cock as much as anyone else, but if you want to hear bad commentary then watch the WRC coverage with Paul King. It really is as bad or worse as I've written above

MrJan
9th March 2010, 11:30
It really is as bad or worse as I've written above

:laugh: That's pretty much spot on....although I'm slightly worried that you've just called me The Cock :p : ;)

wedge
9th March 2010, 13:16
Agreed I think James Allen is a good writer but he didn't work on TV.

Bring back James Allen. Legard I can do without.

Ian Phillips leaving Force India. I hope he delays retirement by doing permanent commentary for 5live. He's great to listen to.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81866

Daniel
9th March 2010, 13:54
:laugh: That's pretty much spot on....although I'm slightly worried that you've just called me The Cock :p : ;)
You know who I mean :p

I HATE the whole mentioning sponsors all the time thing. Fair enough if Lewis wants to mention Vodafone, he's getting paid for it but when a commentator or a media person does it I just get annoyed.

Daniel
9th March 2010, 14:31
Legard needs to improve but I hate James Allen with a passion as far as his commentary is concerned. I'd be forced to listen to Radio 5 Live, and then I'd miss Brundles much welcome input. James Allen getting all creepy about Hamilton and how similar he is to Senna bla bla is something I can do without. :)

Yeah. I would have hated having live footage of Allen commentating. You just know he was playing pocket billiards when he was talking about Lewis! You could hear it in his voice :dozey:

I am evil Homer
9th March 2010, 14:41
Allen didn't work as a commentator at all. Maybe as a pundit or guy introducing proceedings but I find the Legard/Brundle combo much better on the ears.

Now Legard has his problems because he needs to get out of the radio mindest but he's improving. And as a foil to Brundle he's pretty much ideal.

wedge
9th March 2010, 14:44
Same with Legard. He sounds like he can't wait to sexually assault Button.

Daniel
9th March 2010, 14:46
Same with Legard. He sounds like he can't wait to sexually assault Button.
It's not sexual assault if Jenson consents :D

wedge
9th March 2010, 14:49
Allen was lead commentator for ITV

Now Legard has his problems because he needs to get out of the radio mindest but he's improving. And as a foil to Brundle he's pretty much ideal.

Legard is crap with Brundle. At least with Allen he could fill dead air with strategies, how the race would evolve and boring stats and facts. Legard asked the same questions like will overtaking be better with refuelling banned. Now every race Legard will ask whether we should bring back refuelling.

wedge
9th March 2010, 14:51
It's not sexual assault if Jenson consents :D

Whatever. Whenever I hear Legard in overdrive I can't help thinking he likes to play rough and nasty in the bedroom...

Daniel
9th March 2010, 16:25
Indeed, I think Allen made 8 or 9 Hamilton/Senna comparisons during Monaco 2008, and Brundle a man who raced against, and knew Senna personally was doing his best to interupt Allen. No doubt he sprayed him with half a litre of Creep Stray in that commentary box.

:D I remember the moment like it was yesterday :) Mainly because of the hilarious thread saying that Ferrari should pay for the damage to Sutil's car and the loss of points :rotflmao:

steveaki13
9th March 2010, 17:56
I didn't mind James Allen, but I feel if Legard can just slow himself down a bit then he will be OK.

He and Brundle given time, should be a great partnership.

I also posted earlier about the BBCi chat, I have to say my slight problem was only with the way Jake H. asked the questions.
As for the whole idea and the 4 speakers (Brundle, EJ, Legard & DC) I thought it was great.

Josti
9th March 2010, 20:01
I HATE the whole mentioning sponsors all the time thing. Fair enough if Lewis wants to mention Vodafone, he's getting paid for it but when a commentator or a media person does it I just get annoyed.

Yeah, it's the worst!

Maybe an obvious question, not sure, but why does BBC need two commentators? Is this still an extent of the old Walker-Hunt format?

Josti
9th March 2010, 20:15
Having 2 people to discuss the events in the race and pick up on things the other has missed makes sense to me.

One person having a conversation and commentating by himself would just scream mentalist in my book.. :)

Well, we make use of only one commentator, and a good one at that. While his work is generally flawless, sometimes he does miss a thing, so your point is fair.

Still, since I watch F1 on BBC, I could do with the very knowledgeable Brundle alone.

christophulus
9th March 2010, 20:33
I often wonder if Legard and co actually read what fans think of them. I still think he's the weak link for the BBC, I figure that if I have a better idea of who's on a flying lap and who's coasting back to the pits in qualifying, and I'm sat at home, he's doing something wrong..

wedge
10th March 2010, 00:27
The guy is a legend. I was also surprised to see him presenting a safety video for a karting event I took part in at the weekend!! I knew I was in safe hands.. :p

I don't understand why fans have an erection over Brundle.

Ant does a better job explaining things without sounding tired of explaining for the nth time and the banter between him and Crofty is equal to the good ol days of Radio Le Mans when David Leslie (RIP) was around.

Dave B
10th March 2010, 08:03
Ant & Crofty are the best pairing in my opinion. I'd assumed that Brundle's apparent lack of enthusiasm was a result of being cooped up with James Allen for the best part of a decade and hoped that a partnership with Legard would re-invigorate him. Sadly that didn't happen and he frequently sounds miserable or bored. He's still a master at spotting strategy or technical problems, and his experience is invaluable, but I'd rather have Ant any day.

MrJan
10th March 2010, 08:54
I've never been a big fan of Ant, I find him even more boring than Brundle. The thing with Martin is that he has a huge amount of knowledge spanning decades in the sport and is very good at assessing what's happening on the track.

Daniel
10th March 2010, 09:43
Ant & Crofty are the best pairing in my opinion. I'd assumed that Brundle's apparent lack of enthusiasm was a result of being cooped up with James Allen for the best part of a decade and hoped that a partnership with Legard would re-invigorate him. Sadly that didn't happen and he frequently sounds miserable or bored. He's still a master at spotting strategy or technical problems, and his experience is invaluable, but I'd rather have Ant any day.

I don't see why someone needs to be a jack in the box tbh. I might seem very animated and probably slightly mad on the forum but in real life I'm probably a bit like Brundle and I don't get excited that easily :p I liked Murray, but Murray Walker was a one off :)

Daniel
10th March 2010, 09:45
I do actually remember that thread too.. :laugh:
A racing incident however unfortunate, but still an unintentional racing incident. It was abit like the Brazilian GP 2008 thread which pino cleaned up because there was people claiming Glock had been paid by Mercedes, and had Heikki's seat for 2009.. :p

Thats the beauty of this forum.
I have to admit to thinking that something was up with Glock and that Toyota had been paid off but it was just in the heat of the moment and I realised after a few hours that I was a clot.

Dave B
10th March 2010, 10:02
Davidson has other commitments this weekend, and there's a suggestion that his place in the 5 Live commentary box will be taken by a certain Canadian ex-WDC. :eek:

Please don't sing....

Daniel
10th March 2010, 10:20
Davidson has other commitments this weekend, and there's a suggestion that his place in the 5 Live commentary box will be taken by a certain Canadian ex-WDC. :eek:

Please don't sing....

O Canada!....... :erm:

wedge
10th March 2010, 11:48
Ask Eddie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8556081.stm

I wonder if the producers are as dumb as the NASCAR producers on Sky Sports in previous years? "Why do they have 4 wheels?" I'd love to see EJ answer that one!

I've never been a big fan of Ant, I find him even more boring than Brundle. The thing with Martin is that he has a huge amount of knowledge spanning decades in the sport and is very good at assessing what's happening on the track.

Ant has oodles of enthusiasm whether its practice or the race itself. Brundle sounds even more boring these days relying on dry wit to relieve the tension in the commentary box.

MrJan
10th March 2010, 12:58
Ant has oodles of enthusiasm whether its practice or the race itself. Brundle sounds even more boring these days relying on dry wit to relieve the tension in the commentary box.

Enthusiasm doesn't make you exciting though, James Allen had enthusiasm in spades but was tedious to listen to.

AndyL
10th March 2010, 13:54
I wonder if the producers are as dumb as the NASCAR producers on Sky Sports in previous years? "Why do they have 4 wheels?" I'd love to see EJ answer that one!

That's actually quite a complex question, assuming by that you mean why was the Tyrell P34 banned ;)

Dave B
10th March 2010, 17:10

Please don't sing....

Looks hopeful according to Crofty:
http://twitter.com/CroftyF1

"Can't confirm my co-commentator for the race but yes we are hoping that a certain Canadian ex world champion will say yes. He wants to do it"

wedge
11th March 2010, 00:11
Enthusiasm doesn't make you exciting though, James Allen had enthusiasm in spades but was tedious to listen to.

And what makes Brundle exciting these days? :rolleyes:

MrJan
11th March 2010, 08:09
And what makes Brundle exciting these days? :rolleyes:

I never said that he was exciting, go away and read what I actually wrote, then come back to me :up: :)

ArrowsFA1
11th March 2010, 08:32
Looks hopeful according to Crofty:
http://twitter.com/CroftyF1
Confirmed by Crofty.

Dave B
11th March 2010, 12:29
Jake Humphrey is on Gabby Logan's 5 Live show any minute, according to Twitter.

wedge
11th March 2010, 12:44

Ant was test driver for Honda for all those years for no reason!

Ant is just as good as Brundle at assessing whats happening on the track. That's one of the things that makes Fridays enjoyable to listen to.

Only thing Brundle trumps over Ant was that he was Schumi's team mate.

MrJan
11th March 2010, 13:15
Ant was test driver for Honda for all those years for no reason!

Ant is just as good as Brundle at assessing whats happening on the track. That's one of the things that makes Fridays enjoyable to listen to.

Only thing Brundle trumps over Ant was that he was Schumi's team mate.

Yet again you haven't read what I wrote properly.

I've never been a big fan of Ant, I find him even more boring than Brundle.

That's my opinion, it doesn't matter what you think because you're opinion isn't mine.

The thing with Martin is that he has a huge amount of knowledge spanning decades in the sport and is very good at assessing what's happening on the track.

Is there something you disagree with there? Has Brundle not got years of experience? Is he rubbish at assessing what's going on? You seem to have read between the lines and created my own ideas for me while not really paying attention to what I've written.

wedge
11th March 2010, 13:30
Just realised I've dug a hole

*grabs coat*

Sorry for the mis-understanding

JBAFCB
11th March 2010, 14:10
I'm a big fan of Martin's. He actually knows what he's talking about (un-like Leggard) he's got a very dry sense of humour that always makes his grid walks and commentary entertaining. Can't see why anyone has a problem with him

wedge
14th March 2010, 15:09
Mike Gascoyne is a natural!

52Paddy
14th March 2010, 15:20
James Allen is pretty good in the press room :up: - albeit loud!

BDunnell
14th March 2010, 17:08
Well, I had hoped that Jonathan Legard would have learned from last year and improved his performance, but alas not. I hate to criticise commentators, because so much comment on them is entirely subjective and it is unquestionably not an easy job at all, but Legard just has no 'go' about him at all. He's actually a good qualifying commentator, but in the races I constantly find myself wanting him to move into a higher gear and he never, ever does. It's a real shame, because the rest of the BBC coverage is excellent.

Robinho
14th March 2010, 17:33
last year i didn't mind Legard, but not only was he a bit dull today, he made a lot of mistakes, not just mistaking drivers from the same team, but even in compeltely different teams, as well as calling on track battles wrong and not realising when he was looking at replays - not really good enough IMO

Daniel
14th March 2010, 18:09
Well, I had hoped that Jonathan Legard would have learned from last year and improved his performance, but alas not. I hate to criticise commentators, because so much comment on them is entirely subjective and it is unquestionably not an easy job at all, but Legard just has no 'go' about him at all. He's actually a good qualifying commentator, but in the races I constantly find myself wanting him to move into a higher gear and he never, ever does. It's a real shame, because the rest of the BBC coverage is excellent.

I have to agree. I wanted to like him but he's just a bit dull. He also seems to have a knack of using too many words. I can't think of any particular examples from today but he just seems to use more words than are needed IMHO.

BDunnell
14th March 2010, 18:17
I wanted to like him but he's just a bit dull.

Me too! And he is definitely too verbose. I'm a fine one to talk (and talk and talk), but this much is obvious.

AndyL
14th March 2010, 20:08
Mike Gascoyne is a natural!

He is :) he was good last year too wasn't he.

Did anyone listen to the Radio 5 commentary - how did Villeneuve do?

steveaki13
14th March 2010, 22:17
Not about the bbc coverage but I noticed that the graphic running along the bottom of the screen giving you constant race positions, never had Bruno Senna on, with how far off the leader he was or Nico Hulkenberg after his early spin.

Does anyone know why Senna wasn't shown clearly, it annoyed me.

Sonic
14th March 2010, 22:45
I have to agree. I wanted to like him but he's just a bit dull. He also seems to have a knack of using too many words. I can't think of any particular examples from today but he just seems to use more words than are needed IMHO.

I know what you mean, he is a bit....vulcan. using 20 words where three will do. He's a lot like Allen, tries to sound excited - but just sounds forced and uninterested.

wedge
14th March 2010, 23:28

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rd7tm/5_live_Formula_1_2010_Bahrain_Grand_Prix/

5Live no longer option on Freeview :(

For me its either portable radio with the telly on or PC

52Paddy
15th March 2010, 00:34
I'm still happy to see the camaraderie (or lack of) between DC and EJ :p :

Triumph
15th March 2010, 00:41

I don't really like his commentary either. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but there's something inherently irritating with his style of presentation.

I think they should get James Corden in to liven things up a bit!

AndyRAC
15th March 2010, 08:38
I don't really like his commentary either. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but there's something inherently irritating with his style of presentation.

I think they should get James Corden in to liven things up a bit!

Please no, I find him irritating.....

As for Villeneuve, I found him quite interesting - probably better than I was expecting. Legard is still commentating for radio, as he did years ago....he needs to be told he's now on TV.

Mark
15th March 2010, 09:38
The influence of Ralf Schumacher lives on!

Did you notice on the top left they had the driver names and positions, all of them were shortened versions of the drivers last name. Apart from Schumacher who is "MSC". Where you'd expect it to be "SCH".

ShiftingGears
15th March 2010, 10:05
Had pre-race commentary from James Allen for One HD. It was good. Maybe he'll end up back as a commentator for BBC at some point, if he keeps a cooler head in the box and doesn't use the told-you-so's and fawning over drivers.

Andrewmcm
15th March 2010, 10:42

Very well I thought. He has a pretty good sense of humour and was pretty insightful on several occasions. JV also put Crofty in his place a few times when Crofty said something a bit daft.

Daniel
15th March 2010, 10:51
The influence of Ralf Schumacher lives on!

Did you notice on the top left they had the driver names and positions, all of them were shortened versions of the drivers last name. Apart from Schumacher who is "MSC". Where you'd expect it to be "SCH".
Perhaps Ralf is planning a return?

inimitablestoo
15th March 2010, 12:18
I noticed that, and also Chandhok was "CHD" when you'd expect "CHA". Off hand, I can't think of another "CHA" out there but anyway...

Generally I couldn't complain about most of it, there were a few errors with misidentification but it was the first race of the year, so I can forgive it at this stage. Take that Hispania pit stop when they thought it was Virgin; given the identical colour schemes of the mechanics, I thought it was them too.

There were a couple of things that slightly niggled, the first because they mentioned it more than once: that Michael Schumacher was facing knockout qualifying for the first time. Wrong: it came in for 2006, his final season. Granted, they've changed the times of each part since then, but it was still a knockout format. The other was that "Nigel Mansell enjoyed having that number 1 on his car", according to Jake; not sure if it really counts as an error, since of course he never defended his title but did carry the number 1 when he defended his IndyCar title. I put that one down to Jake still being the new boy, although surely around 1993 virtually everyone in Britain had some idea of what an IndyCar was.

Otherwise, though, the one thing that needs changing is the one thing beyond the BBC's control: bring back the "ladder" of names for qualifying! It was there in the race but strangely absent in the one session where it could have been of more use...

I am evil Homer
15th March 2010, 12:24
The on screen grpahics...which I assume are direct from the FIA and local broadcaster weren't good. They need refining.

Legard, I agree with others, just made too many silly mistakes and is the weak link. Other than that the BBC team is good...Brundle is his usual self, presenters work well and pit team of Ted and Leigh works well getting info from the garages and interviews with retirees.

tommy2k8
15th March 2010, 12:44
The BBC can't do anything about the graphics

Mark
15th March 2010, 12:48
The BBC can't do anything about the graphics

Yes, they can. They can tell whoever deals with them that they need improving and how they need improving. The BBC being one of the biggest F1 broadcasters would be hard to ignore.

BDunnell
15th March 2010, 14:26
Legard is still commentating for radio, as he did years ago....he needs to be told he's now on TV.

I've probably said this before, but I didn't think Legard was all that great on the radio either, for exactly the same reasons - he was always too verbose even for that medium, in my view. He strikes me as an excellent sports correspondent and reporter, but a poor commentator. The best man for the TV job is surely Ben Edwards, and I think the BBC has made a big mistake in not hiring him.

christophulus
15th March 2010, 15:14
The on screen grpahics...which I assume are direct from the FIA and local broadcaster weren't good. They need refining.

I wasn't convinced at first but during the race they were very good. Plus they fixed the lap counter so it counted up rather than down, a minor thing which has annoyed me for many years :)

Mark
15th March 2010, 15:17
I wasn't convinced at first but during the race they were very good. Plus they fixed the lap counter so it counted up rather than down, a minor thing which has annoyed me for many years :)

Quite so! The commentators always talked about laps counting upwards, but the counter counted down so without some mental maths you weren't entirely sure what they were talking about.

wedge
15th March 2010, 15:53
I've probably said this before, but I didn't think Legard was all that great on the radio either, for exactly the same reasons - he was always too verbose even for that medium, in my view. He strikes me as an excellent sports correspondent and reporter, but a poor commentator. The best man for the TV job is surely Ben Edwards, and I think the BBC has made a big mistake in not hiring him.

Swap Legard and Crofty round.

Dave B
15th March 2010, 16:00
Swap Legard and Crofty round.
Easier said than done. Crofty works for USP, an independent company which provides the 5 Live programmes to the BBC.

wedge
15th March 2010, 16:07
Easier said than done. Crofty works for USP, an independent company which provides the 5 Live programmes to the BBC.

Can't be that hard. Lee McKenzie subbed for Holly Samos a couple of years ago.

Dave B
15th March 2010, 16:10
Wasn't that when Holly was on maternity leave? The point is that Legard can't simply be shifted into what many would perceive as the less glamourous job as him and Croft are employed by different companies. For that to work the BBC would have to sack him (for what?) or make him redundant (which rules out legally putting someone else in his post) or wait for his contract to end.

Why go to all that trouble when we, the viewers, can simply press a red button?

wedge
15th March 2010, 16:32
Why go to all that trouble when we, the viewers, can simply press a red button?

5Live commentary option no longer on Freeview.

Daniel
15th March 2010, 16:35
5Live commentary option no longer on Freeview.
Get freesat or a DAB radio and move with the times

acescribe
15th March 2010, 22:30
Wasn't that when Holly was on maternity leave? The point is that Legard can't simply be shifted into what many would perceive as the less glamourous job as him and Croft are employed by different companies. For that to work the BBC would have to sack him (for what?) or make him redundant (which rules out legally putting someone else in his post) or wait for his contract to end.

Pretty much. The BBC want to keep their TV presenting team for F1 ('red button' not included) to those contracted to them, not freelancers which David Croft is - recall he used to commentate on GP2 on ITV4 a couple of years ago and also covered the Goodwood Revival for ITV last year. Even Ted Kravitz pops up reading the sports news on the BBC News Channel from time to time.

Dave B
28th March 2010, 08:57
Just a note about Malaysia. If you're recording it be aware that the race coverage starts of on BBC1 but switches to BBC2 at 10am to make way for the Pope's speech (notwithstanding that he should be in prison for perverting the course of justice).

Most PVRs should automatically switch over, but check your settings otherwise you'll miss the thunderstorm. ;)

Robinho
28th March 2010, 09:07
Just a note about Malaysia. If you're recording it be aware that the race coverage starts of on BBC1 but switches to BBC2 at 10am to make way for the Pope's speech (notwithstanding that he should be in prison for perverting the course of justice).

Most PVRs should automatically switch over, but check your settings otherwise you'll miss the thunderstorm. ;)

WTF - what has the pope done to deserve to be on BBC1, and in that case why not start the race on BBC2. we're not even a catholic (even very religous at all) country. Sunday is for F1, not fairy stories

christophulus
28th March 2010, 09:08

I am literally speechless. :mad:

Dave B
28th March 2010, 09:09
I couldn't give a tinker's cuss which channel the race is on, so long as it's the same one from start to finish. Switching it halfway is plain daft.

christophulus
28th March 2010, 09:18
Agreed, although I imagine part of their contract is to put it on BBC1 at all times.

On another note, I thought Legard was much improved this weekend. He was generally calmer, but spoiled it in the last two laps after Webber hit Hamilton - going into radio overdrive mode for the last two laps and yelling about the things we can blatantly see. Shame.

Dave B
28th March 2010, 09:20
I had Five Live on, Legard and Brundle nearly tipped me over the edge during the Bahrain borefest and I wasn't going to risk that again. From the tiny amount I've seen of the highlights on the red button I believe I made the right call.

ArrowsFA1
28th March 2010, 09:24
I had Five Live on, Legard and Brundle nearly tipped me over the edge during the Bahrain borefest and I wasn't going to risk that again. From the tiny amount I've seen of the highlights on the red button I believe I made the right call.
Agreed :up: I've sometimes switched between the two commentary teams, only to get Brundle's insights, but today it was Crofty & Ant all the way. They make a great team and describe the race superbly. No more Legard (or sadly Brundle) for me during the race.

christophulus
28th March 2010, 09:29
Apart from the last two laps I don't recall them being that annoying. Star of the show is Mike Gascoyne on the pit wall, basically acting as a third commentator, chatting about Hamilton moving through the field. That was one thing ITV got right, basically stalking a team for the weekend and chatting to an engineer during the race. More please!

AndyL
3rd April 2010, 10:40
Couple of gems in the qualifying today...

Eddie Jordan claiming credit for Kovalainen getting into Q2 - he taught Mike Gascoyne everything he knows apparently :)

And from Martin: "Petrov looks like he's wrestling an octopus in there." I wonder how long he'd been working on that one.

Dave B
3rd April 2010, 10:41
Star of the show today was EJ's shirt. He certainly was sweaty, and I loved Jake's little dig once he'd got changed and they'd moved into Lotus hospitality: "it's nice and cool in here for you" :laugh:

pettersolberg29
3rd April 2010, 10:44
EJ certainly was struggling wasn't he?! Good to see DC talking a bit about the DTM - hopefully it will give the DTM a bit more coverage in the UK.

AndyL
3rd April 2010, 10:50
EJ certainly was struggling wasn't he?! Good to see DC talking a bit about the DTM - hopefully it will give the DTM a bit more coverage in the UK.

Unfortunately it's on ESPN again this year :(

Somebody
3rd April 2010, 13:26
Anyone complaining about Legard annoying them... hit the red button right now and listen to a man who should in no way be allowed near a microphone for any reason summarise Q1, Q2 and the first half of Q3.

52Paddy
3rd April 2010, 14:42
Anyone complaining about Legard annoying them... hit the red button right now and listen to a man who should in no way be allowed near a microphone for any reason summarise Q1, Q2 and the first half of Q3.

Who is it? I don't have the red button.

Somebody
3rd April 2010, 15:35
No idea who it is, but his delivery is incredibly patronising...

Robinho
3rd April 2010, 16:09
Unfortunately it's on ESPN again this year :(

fortunately its on ESPN again this year :) and in HD, looks amezzing

Mark
4th April 2010, 10:20
What's with the swapping from BBC1 to BBC2? Fair enough there's stuff on 1. Just show the whole race on 2.

Dave B
4th April 2010, 10:57
What's with the swapping from BBC1 to BBC2? Fair enough there's stuff on 1. Just show the whole race on 2.

Urbi et Orbi is on. It's Latin for "Home and Away" and, as everybody knows, is the Vatican's longest-running soap opera.

ArrowsFA1
4th April 2010, 11:02
Crofty doing the post race interviews :up:

gloomyDAY
4th April 2010, 11:04
Sucks that they flipped channels on you guys - mid-race - in order to broadcast some kiddy toucher.

Daniel
4th April 2010, 11:05
lol gloomyday :D

Dave B
4th April 2010, 11:09
Sucks that they flipped channels on you guys - mid-race - in order to broadcast some kiddy toucher.
I did suggest that they put the pope's address on CBeebies with all the other fairy tales, but it was pointed out to me that he should ideally be kept well away from kids.

Dave B
4th April 2010, 11:19
After Eddie's adventures yesterday, wasn't that the perfect theme tune for the F1 forum:

C&C Music Factory's Gonna Make You Sweat :D

steveaki13
4th April 2010, 11:39
I also don't understand why the BBC didn't just show the whole race on BBC 2.
Luckily I was watching on the Red Button so the stream was continuous, but its stupid to change sport events half way through.

wedge
4th April 2010, 13:08
Get freesat or a DAB radio and move with the times

Currently at a mates house and was laughed at for being anal

MAX_THRUST
4th April 2010, 16:14
Im in Houston Texas and watched the race on SPeed channel. To many adverts, reminded me of the bad old days of ITV, so glad I can watch it on the BBC normally. Switching channels isn't as bad as not seeing the race every 5 minutes as they squeeze in ad breaks as they haven't hit there quota.

Really missed the BBC coverage SPEED doesn't come close.

Oh Leggard is still c**p though didn't miss him at all.

BDunnell
4th April 2010, 16:18
Urbi et Orbi is on. It's Latin for "Home and Away" and, as everybody knows, is the Vatican's longest-running soap opera.

Does Pippa still look after all those orphans?

Saint Devote
4th April 2010, 20:03
Share a thought for viewers in the US.

Today's covverage had to be the worst show ever. The pre-race show which is filled with ads was pathetic. It was all canned interviews with nothing live on the grid.

We had Peter Windsor who was always excellent.

And during the race they completely missed the Schumacher problem and then tried to disguise it.

The Australian that replaced Varsha for the race was just too terrible. He is an open Hamilton fan and at one stage was just overcome all about "Lewis".

The Speed show is very poor this year with ad breaks aoccurring during important pit stops and if they believe that it can attract new viewers they are sorely mistaken.

DOWN with Speed.

I wish we could have a pay per view service linked to the BBC.

steveaki13
4th April 2010, 21:50
Guess we have quite good in the UK now a days then!

You would never guess it from the amount of issues people raise.

Saint Devote
4th April 2010, 23:51
Guess we have quite good in the UK now a days then!

You would never guess it from the amount of issues people raise.

Well, if one has champagne then one talks at a different level compared to vinegary wine [Speed channel grand prix coverage].

Peter Windor used to not only have grid access and actually KNOW the drivers and team people, nut he really is excellent at reading a driver's style.

During a race he would have news from the teams and interpret a reason for a driver's on track action.

Now? It is just a wooden presentation. And the worst was mistake over Schumi. It sounds like the "technical" commentator Steve Matchett [a former F1 mechanic is constantly playing with his blackberry phone "apps".

If it would change anything then I would complain, but it is not likely to.

We should rather get the BBC feed and do away with Speed. Waste of bloody time.

Mark
5th April 2010, 14:38
At least it's not like some NASCAR races I've seen where they cut to a pre-recorded feature during the race!

PSfan
5th April 2010, 19:06
Share a thought for viewers in the US.

Today's covverage had to be the worst show ever. The pre-race show which is filled with ads was pathetic. It was all canned interviews with nothing live on the grid.

We had Peter Windsor who was always excellent.

And during the race they completely missed the Schumacher problem and then tried to disguise it.

The Australian that replaced Varsha for the race was just too terrible. He is an open Hamilton fan and at one stage was just overcome all about "Lewis".

The Speed show is very poor this year with ad breaks aoccurring during important pit stops and if they believe that it can attract new viewers they are sorely mistaken.

DOWN with Speed.

You think you got it bad? In Canada we get no pre-race. We get Leggard and Brundle with no "Red Button" options, still have to suffer threw the occasion Eddie "f head" Jordan, and the only saving grace... We still get commercial breaks but they are done in the "IRL" style split screen with the race coverage mooted and the commercials audio set loud enough to wake you up from all the f'n dull race commentary...

And just to remind Canadian's how crappy the BBC broadcast was, we are allowed to watch the re-broadcast from speedtv usually that afternoon...

Mysterious Rock
6th April 2010, 21:43
http://po-ru.com/projects/iplayer-downloader/

This is how u can get the i player from outside the UK

Saint Devote
7th April 2010, 01:29
At least it's not like some NASCAR races I've seen where they cut to a pre-recorded feature during the race!

They do do that - its called two or three laps of ads!!!

The most frustrating was as Jenson crossed the line last year at Interlagos they suddenly inserted a feature on him.

We missed him entering parc ferme and the whole celebration with the team. A brief view of him hugging his father abnd we were on the podium.

Dave B
15th April 2010, 16:05
There's a chance that we'll be denied Sweaty Eddie this weekend: Jake has Tweeted that EJ was due to fly to China today (Thursday) but with UK airspace being closed he's stuck here.

UltimateDanGTR
15th April 2010, 17:18
There's a chance that we'll be denied Sweaty Eddie this weekend: Jake has Tweeted that EJ was due to fly to China today (Thursday) but with UK airspace being closed he's stuck here.

blooming volcanoes! always causing havoc! :D

Dave B
16th April 2010, 14:01
Confirmed:

jakehumphreyf1
So...no EJ for this weekend...he'll join us on the phone at some point tho. Can we fly home is the next question...

Such a shame... :erm:

AndyL
16th April 2010, 15:03
What a slacker, he could have got on the train to Paris and flown from there yesterday... I reckon he just doesn't fancy Shanghai ;)

Robinho
16th April 2010, 15:09
i f**ing love volcanoes

steveaki13
16th April 2010, 18:21
i f**ing love volcanoes
:p :D

christophulus
17th April 2010, 10:09
Well, every cloud has a silver lining :)

ShiftingGears
17th April 2010, 10:39

Leigh Diffey isn't very good at all. Quite glad he is not part of tens motorsport coverage bar Phillip Island and Albert Park grands prix.

52Paddy
17th April 2010, 18:02
Legard was just awful in today's qualifying session.

PSfan
17th April 2010, 23:15
Confirmed:

jakehumphreyf1
So...no EJ for this weekend...he'll join us on the phone at some point tho.

Such a shame... :erm:

My thoughts exact... perhaps we'll get lucky, they'll have caller ID, and just ignore the phone when EJ calls... :p :

And another thought I was having... We have an angry volcano, and EJ, am I the only one to consider maybe it might be an idea to sacrifice EJ to the volcano? Probably won't appease the volcano (might actually make it worse) but at least the BBC coverage would improve...

Ari
18th April 2010, 05:13

Download FilmOn HDi Player and you're away.

For $8 USD per month you get a basic pack which includes BBC1 (ie,Formula1). Simple as that and you have live web-streaming in full screen either low (very good!) or full high definition resolution.

So there you have it. You can subscribe to the Formula 1. And.... the BBC run most sessions live plus no ads.

Create an account and watch for about 10 minutes before needing to subscribe. You can subscribe with your CC or paypal.

http://www.filmon.com/

Dave B
7th May 2010, 14:43
:!: Important news about Saturday's qualifying coverage

jakehumphreyf1 So here's the rub...due to the election shenanigans we're now live at 12.45pm tomorrow so don't be alarmed if tuning in at 12.15!

jakehumphreyf1 Just nailed 30 minutes of red button fun...12.15 to 12.45!! You lot better not let us down...

steveaki13
16th May 2010, 16:13
Whether it was because of the lull in action in the middle of the race, but I started to notice every moment of Legards commentary.

He seemed really boring today, he talked uninterestingly about the race and laboured to finish points he was making about historic events and rules. :( :confused:

I would actually be happy if the beeb said we are employing James Allen from the next race. :eek:

Dave B
16th May 2010, 16:20
We had 5 Live on and it was as good as ever, but when they took a breather to give some football scores we switched back to Legard and immediately regretted it. He sounded asleep and bored. It's beyond a joke now, he needs a rocket up his backside or a P45.

steveaki13
16th May 2010, 16:23
. It's beyond a joke now, he needs a rocket up his backside or a P45.

A P45, unless the former is part of the Beebs race build up for the next round :laugh:

christophulus
18th May 2010, 08:32
It's a shame that they're persevering with him, Brundle deserves to be in the commentary box but is having to put up with another idiot alongside him. Get someone competent in!

Mark
18th May 2010, 08:47
It's a shame that they're persevering with him, Brundle deserves to be in the commentary box but is having to put up with another idiot alongside him. Get someone competent in!

I dunno, I'm quite warming to him now.

SGWilko
18th May 2010, 09:07

Weirdo! :laugh:

ShiftingGears
18th May 2010, 09:16

I found Legard's pointing out that Senna crashed in 1988 about as many times as Allen's comparisons between Hamilton and Senna in Monaco 2008 very, very grating.

I don't find that Legard really brings anything interesting or entertaining to the commentary.

SGWilko
18th May 2010, 09:35
Interesting comment made by DC in the last race, as he was not at the race but watching on TV, he said that he was surprised by how much more he could pick up on that was missed by the commentary team.

This is not a moan at the commentators, gawd knows they have enough screens to look at plus directors shouting in their ears etc.

But you can understand how they appear to be less that brilliant at times.

Sonic
18th May 2010, 09:42
The beebs coverage is still top notch with only one exception - Eddie Jordan. The guy is a fool.

He starts of on one of his rambling rants usually failing to make any points at all, sometimes contradicting the points he made just seconds before. If the bbc really want someone to fill the "speaks his mind and irritates DC role" get Swervin' Irvine in.

THE_LIBERATOR
18th May 2010, 12:17
He starts of on one of his rambling rants usually failing to make any points at all, sometimes contradicting the points he made just seconds before. I think they call that being Irish.

Irvine? No.

52Paddy
19th May 2010, 18:35
I think they call that being Irish.

No need for that son.

wedge
21st May 2010, 15:16
We had 5 Live on and it was as good as ever, but when they took a breather to give some football scores we switched back to Legard and immediately regretted it. He sounded asleep and bored. It's beyond a joke now, he needs a rocket up his backside or a P45.

Only wet races does Legard find endurance for enthusiasm.

I know I've kept saying this before but listening to Croftie and Ant is like listening to Radio Le Mans (especially with the late David Leslie), witty banter and being informative without going over board with the former or bore your senses when its bad enough having to watch a dull race.

fandango
21st May 2010, 15:27
I think they call that being Irish.

Irvine? No.

:rotflmao:

I haven't seen the BBC coverage much, but the mistake they seem to be making is having too many people in shot at the same time. Eddie Jordan is an entertaining speaker, but he's clearly not able to deal with speaking to more than one person at a time on TV. Why do they have to have four ageing men on a sofa trying to outdo each other? We see that in any pub any day of the week.

Years ago, things worked because there two people, Walker and Hunt, with ONE mic.

They should get Jordan to interview team managers, DC to interview drivers and then a professional presenter to put it all together.

gloomyDAY
21st May 2010, 17:08
I like Eddie Jordan. That motherf'er is always playing devil's advocate and you can tell that it annoys the hell out of DC from time to time. I'm glad Eddie is there to throw a wrench in the whole process and making people laugh over his wild predictions.

Legard, on the other hand, needs to take a seat elsewhere. F1 is not the appropriate sport for his style of commentating. Maybe badminton or golf would be better suited to his style, but a fast paced sport is not for John. Give him the boot and stick Brundle with someone who is more witty and confident.

tech3
21st May 2010, 17:21
I think the lead commentator should be Toby Moody, the guy who is the commentator on eurosports MotoGP coverage. He and Brundle would be a good combination imo

AndyL
21st May 2010, 18:14
I think the lead commentator should be Toby Moody, the guy who is the commentator on eurosports MotoGP coverage. He and Brundle would be a good combination imo

I agree, and it was a missed opportunity, because when the BBC first got F1 he was potentially available since Eurosport had lost MotoGP. He's obviously an F1 fan because he often mentions it in the MotoGP coverage.

AndyL
21st May 2010, 18:17
I know I've kept saying this before but listening to Croftie and Ant is like listening to Radio Le Mans (especially with the late David Leslie)

Funny you should mention David Leslie - the report into the plane crash came out yesterday. We lost him for want of a rivet apparently :(

Dave B
10th June 2010, 15:57
:!: Reminder :!:

Check your series links, people! Qualifying is on BBC2 this weekend (the race on BBC1 as normal), and my Sky HD box hadn't noticed. Apparently there's some sort of football tournament going on for the next few weeks... :p

Retro Formula 1
10th June 2010, 16:06
:!: Reminder :!:

Check your series links, people! Qualifying is on BBC2 this weekend (the race on BBC1 as normal), and my Sky HD box hadn't noticed. Apparently there's some sort of football tournament going on for the next few weeks... :p

Blimey, I hope the Football tournament doesn't clash with the world series of soccer that America are playing in on Saturday.

Ranger
10th June 2010, 16:13

Based on the old Eurosport commentary with John Watson, Ben Edwards would be an excellent choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zYGkKzqco0

AndyL
10th June 2010, 23:30
Anyone know who's standing in for Ant this weekend?

tmx
11th June 2010, 03:58
Down the back straight, round the corner, over the hill, into turn 5 ....What about Vettel? What about Webber? What about Hamilton? What can he do? .. Webber from Vettel, from Button, from Hamilton.... Push it! Charging on...

SGWilko
11th June 2010, 09:16
Down the back straight, round the corner, over the hill, into turn 5 ....What about Vettel? What about Webber? What about Hamilton? What can he do? .. Webber from Vettel, from Button, from Hamilton.... Push it! Charging on...

A quiet word in his ear, along the lines of - THIS IS NOT RADIO.

Dave B
11th June 2010, 10:23
According to Crofty's tweets (http://twitter.com/CroftyF1): "Patrick Head and Maurice Hamilton for FP1 Gary Paffett for FP2 Nick Heidfeld for FP3 Paul di Resta for qualy and the race" :)

Sonic
11th June 2010, 10:30
According to Crofty's tweets (http://twitter.com/CroftyF1): "Patrick Head and Maurice Hamilton for FP1 Gary Paffett for FP2 Nick Heidfeld for FP3 Paul di Resta for qualy and the race" :)

Good line up - the only way to watch F1 is with crofty. Just dump Leggard, stick crofty/ant and Martin in the same booth - brilliant.

AndyL
11th June 2010, 14:43

Thanks. :) indeed...

Dave B
11th June 2010, 15:12
...although not necessarily in the right order. :p

Maurice and Nick for FP1. Once you get past Heidfeld's voice (it's true Ted, I do have the most boring voice) he's coming out with some good insight :up:

SGWilko
11th June 2010, 15:16
...although not necessarily in the right order. :p

You're not playing all the wrong notes then..................? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP8TUe993uo

wedge
11th June 2010, 15:43
I give Nick the thumbs up as well :up:

He's been regarded with a somewhat negative manner in the paddock: the quiet man, boring, introverted, aloof, etc.

Completely changed my opinion of him. I wouldn't mind having him come round at a dinner party

wedge
11th June 2010, 16:30
The video Crofty has yet to see:

Nick Heidfeld the godfather of rock n roll

Nick Heidfeld go go go go

:D

TRfCCYIv3EA

ShiftingGears
11th June 2010, 16:47
The video Crofty has yet to see:

Nick Heidfeld the godfather of rock n roll

Nick Heidfeld go go go go

:D

TRfCCYIv3EA

:laugh: Brilliant!

christophulus
11th June 2010, 18:42
Heidfeld did a great job, shot down pretty much every conspiracy theory the commentators could come up with :p :

acescribe
12th June 2010, 21:39

For qualifying and the race, Paul Di Resta

UltimateDanGTR
12th June 2010, 21:53
anyone see the four-way conversation pre-quali between jake, DC, di grassi and chandhok? there was some good chemistry there i noticed.

DazzlaF1
12th June 2010, 22:03
For qualifying and the race, Paul Di Resta

And speaking of Ant, he's doing a good job at Le Mans, last time I checked his car (in the hands of Gene) is down in 7th, 4 laps behind but they were leading for a good 3 hours

Tshbez
12th June 2010, 22:42
Formula 1 2010, The Canadian Grand Prix
13 Jun 2010 16:05 BBC One (except East Midlands)

Formula 1 2010, The Canadian Grand Prix
13 Jun 2010 18:00 BBC One (Cambridgeshire, East Midlands, Yorkshire only)

What does this mean? If you live in the East Midlands, the coverage starts halfway through the race?

woody2goody
13th June 2010, 03:02
And speaking of Ant, he's doing a good job at Le Mans, last time I checked his car (in the hands of Gene) is down in 7th, 4 laps behind but they were leading for a good 3 hours

Gene was flying as well, set the fastest lap by over a second in the dark. They had electrical issues I believe.

wedge
13th June 2010, 15:15
So is Ant officially sacked? Crofty said he wasn't allowed back in the commentary booth unless he had the trophy/medal/Rolex watch :D

MrJan
13th June 2010, 16:25
What does this mean? If you live in the East Midlands, the coverage starts halfway through the race?

Probably on BBC2 or summint.

christophulus
13th June 2010, 19:11
FFS Jordan and Legard, it's Li-ut-zi, not Lewitsy!

AndyL
13th June 2010, 19:36
Well done BBC, very nice of them to wait until after the end of the race before engaging the "technical difficulties" slide :)

UltimateDanGTR
13th June 2010, 20:46
there was a couple of technical moments today.

which Is strange, as most have been coming from south africa lately. still, we (or at least, I) didnt miss anything

DazzlaF1
13th June 2010, 20:49
there was a couple of technical moments today.

which Is strange, as most have been coming from south africa lately. still, we (or at least, I) didnt miss anything

Thankfully, they just replayed the opening segment before going live to that Peter Sauber interview which was a good move, meant we got to see EJ playing with the crowd again :laugh:

Ranger
14th June 2010, 03:16
I found that Legard was yapping on about useless s*** during incredibly eventful periods during the race.

A more verbose commentator I can't quite think of. :\

ArrowsFA1
14th June 2010, 09:39
For a few minutes yesterday I was reminded why I listen to 5LiveF1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007m6lj)'s excellent commentary over the tv pictures. My Sky box went kaput for a moment and while I was messing around trying to get it working again I had to put up with Legard.

There's a gulf in class between him and Crofy (http://twitter.com/croftyf1), and while I miss Brundle's insights the guests on 5LiveF1 make up for his absence. Paul de Resta, Gary Pafett, Anthony Davidson, Maurice Hamilton, Patrick Head, Jackie Stewart and others have provided great interest alongside Crofty, who is an enthusiastic, informed and interesting commentator.

If you can access 5Live I'd highly recommend their F1 coverage.

Retro Formula 1
14th June 2010, 10:16
The screen went fuzzy 3 or 4 times for me during the race but I don't know if that was Sky or BBC.

At least we didn't cut to a break and miss England's goal like ITV.

SGWilko
14th June 2010, 11:02
At least we didn't cut to a break and miss England's goal like ITV.

Although I think this only affected the HD viewers.

christophulus
14th June 2010, 11:40
Legard is truly awful, I thought he'd improved but his incessant shouting spoiled a good race. I'm amazed Brundle hasn't punched him yet, or at least asked for someone else to commentate alongside. I hope they get rid of him for next year.

Dave B
14th June 2010, 13:09
I'm glad that I had 5 Live commentary on, from what I've been hearing here and elsewhere about Legard & Brundle's performance.

The few snatches I heard on the post-race forum seemed to have Legard in a world of his own, and Brundle bored senseless. The worst thing about JL is he keeps cutting accross Martin to the point where he doesn't even bother trying anymore.

There's clearly no chemistry between the two, whereas it's obvious that Crofty just gets along with whoever he's partnered with be it hs regular "sidekick" Anthony Davidson, or a guest such as Patrick Head or Paul Di Resta.

The BBC really need to take action over Legard, he's making me long for a return of James Allen!

52Paddy
14th June 2010, 13:15
Yeah, I'm just echoing what others have said about Legard. Another awful show from him. And Humphries really let his lack of F1 knowledge out of the bag post-race, I thought, when he said something along the lines of: "...now tyres don't seem to be the most interesting topic of discussion in F1..."

He obviously never watched F1 during the tyre war era :mark:

I also got a momentary blank screen several times during the race. And as I'm watching from Ireland (without Sky TV), this was a problem with BBC. Also, did anyone hear the background speech going on during the press conference?

So, yes, a couple of slips by the crew today but still great coverage overall. An entertaining race will always make up for technicalities anyway :up:

wedge
14th June 2010, 13:16
There's clearly no chemistry between the two, whereas it's obvious that Crofty just gets along with whoever he's partnered with be it hs regular "sidekick" Anthony Davidson, or a guest such as Patrick Head or Paul Di Resta.

He's done GP2 for ITV, FIA GT, boxing on Setanta, and even darts!

Doesn't matter what sport and who's next to him, the guy's a natural!

GRAVETT
15th June 2010, 19:37
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/F1951566?thread=7570167
Please show the BBC that you want legard to be replaced on the BBC Points of view website where I have started a thread, also keep emailing them with your complaints.
The guy is awful, one argument is that hes there for the casual viewer, do we really want to pay for a useless commentator with no real skill just so the odd knuckle dragger can watch before they watch 22 guys kick a ball about?

christophulus
24th June 2010, 10:25
European GP may well be on BBC TWO on Sunday, apparently there's some sort of football tournament on at the same time :p

http://twitter.com/jakehumphreyf1/statuses/16905376904

SGWilko
24th June 2010, 10:34
European GP may well be on BBC TWO on Sunday, apparently there's some sort of football tournament on at the same time :p

http://twitter.com/jakehumphreyf1/statuses/16905376904

Yes, goddamit. England were supposed be out by now..... :laugh:

AndyL
24th June 2010, 16:56
I'm trying to work out how I'm going to fit it in with British Superbikes, World Superbikes and this Mahut-Isner tennis match which will presumably still be going on.
Thank goodness the MotoGP boys have had the foresight to have their races on Saturday!

MrMetro
24th June 2010, 17:18
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/F1951566?thread=7570167
Please show the BBC that you want legard to be replaced on the BBC Points of view website where I have started a thread, also keep emailing them with your complaints.
The guy is awful, one argument is that hes there for the casual viewer, do we really want to pay for a useless commentator with no real skill just so the odd knuckle dragger can watch before they watch 22 guys kick a ball about?

I've just posted on it. Hopefully we can get someone like ben edwards or toby moody

inimitablestoo
24th June 2010, 19:15
Thank goodness the MotoGP boys have had the foresight to have their races on Saturday!
As long as you've got access to the red button (or Eurosport I suppose) otherwise you'll have to wait until silly o'clock to watch it...

AndyL
24th June 2010, 23:30
As long as you've got access to the red button (or Eurosport I suppose) otherwise you'll have to wait until silly o'clock to watch it...

Eurosport of course, Moody & Ryder vs. Cox & Stavros, no contest :)

BDunnell
24th June 2010, 23:37
For a few minutes yesterday I was reminded why I listen to 5LiveF1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007m6lj)'s excellent commentary over the tv pictures. My Sky box went kaput for a moment and while I was messing around trying to get it working again I had to put up with Legard.

There's a gulf in class between him and Crofy (http://twitter.com/croftyf1), and while I miss Brundle's insights the guests on 5LiveF1 make up for his absence. Paul de Resta, Gary Pafett, Anthony Davidson, Maurice Hamilton, Patrick Head, Jackie Stewart and others have provided great interest alongside Crofty, who is an enthusiastic, informed and interesting commentator.

If you can access 5Live I'd highly recommend their F1 coverage.

With respect, I must disagree about David Croft being much good. I have gone off him almost completely, to the point where I can hardly listen to him either. The fact of him being known as 'Crofty' (I can hardly bear to type it) speaks volumes. He's just that bit too matey for my liking.

As far as the TV is concerned, the BBC, alas, simply has to drop poor old Legard. I'm now convinced that he's never going to get it right, and hate to say it, but James Allen would be an immense improvement, to say nothing of Ben Edwards. But David Croft — nah.

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2010, 09:14
He's just that bit too matey for my liking.
I can see (or should that be hear!) what you mean.